homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Male headship bishop (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Male headship bishop
bad man
Apprentice
# 17449

- Posted      Profile for bad man     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Archbishop of Canterbury is about to appoint a bishop chosen specifically because he believes in 'male headship' - PDF download .

According to the press release, he will "foster vocations from those taking this position" and he will act as a flying bishop across every diocese in the Church of England.

So, while we still have no women bishops, there's plenty of room in the Church of England for those who believe in what Rod Thomas calls the "functional priority of men".

Will this reverse the steady decline in Church of England attendance and credibility? I doubt it.

[brick wall]

[ 09. December 2014, 18:26: Message edited by: Louise ]

Posts: 49 | From: Diocese of Guildford | Registered: Nov 2012  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hopefully not - instead it might model what we do with disagreement and how we include everyone as far as we can.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Caissa
Shipmate
# 16710

- Posted      Profile for Caissa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Time to let the sexists go their separate way. Enough appeasement!
Posts: 972 | From: Saint John, N.B. | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Neil Kinnock was not the most successful leader of the Labour Party but he would have been markedly less successful if he had decided the best way to deal with Militant was to permanently ensure that one of their members had a front bench position in the parliamentary party.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spot on.
One is familiar with the old 'better inside pissing out than outside pissing in' argument: but this is about keeping people inside so that they can keep pissing in.

[ 08. December 2014, 14:48: Message edited by: Albertus ]

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I have already made my feelings clear on the Purgatory thread.

This is a craven giving-in to ConEvo bullying and it won't end here. Anyone want to suggest what the next demand will be?

I'm guessing - formal acknowledgement of ACNA, followed by a demand that there be a (delayed) Lambeth Conference, on terms that The Episcopal Church and the Anglican Church of Canada will be unable to comply with without complete capitulation.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just as some of us in the North of England would have been happy to be part of an independent Scotland, perhaps the Scottish Episcopal Church might appoint a bishop with a ministry to those English Anglicans who find 'male headship' and similar views abhorrent. There must be a suitable woman priest in Scotland prepared to take on the role, but if not I suggest the Very Revd Kelvin Holdsworth.
Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What does his see look like in terms of churchpersonship? I have experience of having a male headship bishop (+Benn) but Lewes is a distinctly con evo see.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
Just as some of us in the North of England would have been happy to be part of an independent Scotland, perhaps the Scottish Episcopal Church might appoint a bishop with a ministry to those English Anglicans who find 'male headship' and similar views abhorrent. There must be a suitable woman priest in Scotland prepared to take on the role, but if not I suggest the Very Revd Kelvin Holdsworth.

Perhaps the CinW and SEC might collaborate. Meanwhile, those in border parishes might want to consider looking at what we have to offer.
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Over on "Thinking Anglicans", Prof Martyn Percy has posted a highly pertinent comment. Here are some extracts.

quote:
...As an initiative, it represents the triumph of weak managerial pragmatism over and against strong theological leadership.

....But with this new initiative from the Archbishops, we'll now have a situation in which inequality is (literally) consecrated into our church. It is a highly regrettable move that shows no theological nous - but that is perhaps the least surprising aspect of this debacle.

(Full comments here)

--------------------

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

- Posted      Profile for Byron   Email Byron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll accept a patriarchy bishop just as soon as John Sentamu signs off on a racist bishop.

Until that day, he's inflicting on women contempt he would never (and rightly) be willing to suffer himself.

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pomona:
What does his see look like in terms of churchpersonship? I have experience of having a male headship bishop (+Benn) but Lewes is a distinctly con evo see.

I'm a bit bemused by the idea of a diocese, let alone an episcopal area, having a distinctive churchpersonship. Of course, some take on the flavour of successive bishops to a large degree, but I don't know of anywhere in England that could be described as 'a con-evo see.' There will always be a large proportion of parishes of a different flavour, surely; even in Lewes?

Anyway, I think the idea of the 'headship' bishop is to be the equivalent for con-evos what the other flying bishops are to the F-in-F anglo-catholics. I doubt if he (and it is definitely a 'sic') will have much to do with Maidstone as such unless there are parishes there that seek his jurisdiction. But I may have got that wrong.

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

- Posted      Profile for Byron   Email Byron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
Over on "Thinking Anglicans", Prof Martyn Percy has posted a highly pertinent comment. Here are some extracts.

quote:
...As an initiative, it represents the triumph of weak managerial pragmatism over and against strong theological leadership.

....But with this new initiative from the Archbishops, we'll now have a situation in which inequality is (literally) consecrated into our church. It is a highly regrettable move that shows no theological nous - but that is perhaps the least surprising aspect of this debacle.

(Full comments here)
More than "regrettable," patriarchy (screw "complementarianism" for the tricksy rebrand it is) is a vile doctrine, that teaches half the human race ought to be cast into slavery.

Oh, sure, the "complementarians" restrict their oppression to church circles, but only 'cause they've been beaten back. Given half a chance, I've no doubt they'd sweep away women's access to the franchise and the professions, and reinstate coverture with a song in their heart.

Patriarchy is a clarion call to bullies, the corrupter of decent people, male and female, into accomplices in a system of dominance and suppression. A church that does anything other than denounce it utterly is a church that's bankrupt in spirit and, I hope soon, all other regards.

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
quote:

I'm a bit bemused by the idea of a diocese, let alone an episcopal area, having a distinctive churchpersonship. Of course, some take on the flavour of successive bishops to a large degree, but I don't know of anywhere in England that could be described as 'a con-evo see.' There will always be a large proportion of parishes of a different flavour, surely; even in Lewes?

Anyway, I think the idea of the 'headship' bishop is to be the equivalent for con-evos what the other flying bishops are to the F-in-F anglo-catholics. I doubt if he (and it is definitely a 'sic') will have much to do with Maidstone as such unless there are parishes there that seek his jurisdiction. But I may have got that wrong.

I think we need to be clear that there is no "Diocese of Maidstone".

As I understand it (in other words - not giving a flying fuck enough to bother checking my details), the Bishop of Maidstone will effectively be a ConEvo flying bishop, dealing with ConEvo parishes across the country which don't want to deal with their own diocesan bishops.

(What I am unclear about is whether this simply applies to ConEvo parishes who find themselves with a woman diocesan bishop, or whether ANY ConEvo parish could look to +Maidstone rather than their bishop, simply out of choice. Whilst the former is what would make most sense, I suspect that the latter is what will happen anyway.)

What is immediately clear is that +Maidstone is likely to be doing some heavy travelling. Will he be going from Carlisle to Truro and from Lewes to Norfolk? Who will be paying for this travelling? And how long will it be before the demand comes for a northern ConEvo bishop as well?

--------------------

The Man with a Stick
Shipmate
# 12664

- Posted      Profile for The Man with a Stick   Email The Man with a Stick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I have experience of having a male headship bishop (+Benn) but Lewes is a distinctly con evo see.

Lewes is a Suffragan See of the Diocese of Chichester and no longer has a geographical area, following the Diocese abolishing its area scheme in 2013.

As to how Maidstone will work, it will be for the relevant Diocesan Bishop to invite +Maidstone to offer Episcopal care to a parish requesting such oversight. That application will be made to the Diocesan in accordance with the House of Bishops Declaration. There is a duty of the Diocesan to consider the "nature" of the theological convictions underlying the request and make suitable provision.

Presumably is the convictions are of a con-evo nature, the Diocesan will ask +Maidstone to assist.

I don't think one should get too hung up on the geographical location. Remember that neither +Richborough (St Albans) or +Ebbsfleet (Reading) live in the Diocese of Canterbury. They live in somewhere from where they can best perform their duties. Presumably +Maidstone will live relatively centrally to facilitate his huge geographic area. Due to transport links, I guess it might be London.

Posts: 335 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having looked at the link and its comments, I was interested to see that the person most exercised against criticism of the headship idea being described as a heresy and most in favour of its being the clear teaching of scripture goes by the title of "Father", when scripture is quite clear about who that title should be applied to. No-one human.

I shouldn't really have an opinion about this stuff any more. I left at the time of the women priests debate because I couldn't get my mind round the degree of othering that was applied to women without adequate criticism from the top. Or, at the time, anywhere with any gravitas. And here it is again. Or still. Why can't a man be a man without being so emphatic about not being a woman? Or, come to that, gay? What happened to the Pauline teaching about there being no distinctions on Christ?

[ 09. December 2014, 10:27: Message edited by: Penny S ]

The Man with a Stick
Shipmate
# 12664

- Posted      Profile for The Man with a Stick   Email The Man with a Stick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thought for the day:

Given that +Maidstone will have no direct authority over anybody (all power will be delegated by either +Cantaur or the relevant Diocesan Bishop), presumably the conservative evangelicals would have no issue with the first female Bishop being appoint to the See of Maidstone?

[Devil]

Posts: 335 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would have thought that the experience of having had one ConEvo 'headship' believing bishop (+Wallace) would be enough for any organisation, even one so determinedly self-flagellating as the CofE.

As for the whole idea of the 'justification' for a ConEvo flying bishop, it stinks.

And before anyone starts trying to justify it by pointing to the AffCath flying bishops, we're not talking about a bishop here who disapproves of or doesn't recognise fellow clergy, we're talking about a bishop who regards as inferior over 50% of the regular worshippers in the CofE.

This is a squalid business, and one that casts the House of Bishops in the most unfavourable light. Where are the objections of people like +Salisbury?

All this is the name of some spurious 'unity' - and clergy wonder why the church is not only seen as irrelevant but held in increasing contempt by most of British society.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OtG, thanks for the clarification.

Angloid, E Sussex is heavily conservative evangelical generally, and not just in the CoE churches. In the town I lived in, the only non-con evo CoE church is a conservative FiF one. Certainly when I lived there and was battling with my sexuality, the only affirming church was the Quakers - and that was a bit too much of a culture shock for someone who genuinely loved evangelical worship (and to an extent still does). The local Catholic churches certainly felt fairly liberal in comparison to the local Anglican churches. Don't forget that E Sussex is home to a lot of big evangelical business - Kingsway, lots of famous worship leaders like Stuart Townend, CCLI, big evangelical youthwork conferences etc etc. The area is jam-packed with headship types.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And just across into Kent you had Hildenborough Hall... which the smooth-voiced beared NP ran with his (no ex) wife Margaret for a number of years before his move to ASLP...

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Yes, there's definitely some crossover at the E Sussex/Kent border - and the con-evo domination is mostly from Eastbourne onwards going eastwards. Eastbourne/Hastings/East Grinstead etc. Very Oakhill dominated.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
And before anyone starts trying to justify it by pointing to the AffCath flying bishopschurch is not only seen as irrelevant but held in increasing contempt by most of British society.

Do you mean FiF bishops? - AffCath opposes flying bishops.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

quote:
[...] And before anyone starts trying to justify it by pointing to the AffCath flying bishops, we're not talking about a bishop here who disapproves of or doesn't recognise fellow clergy, we're talking about a bishop who regards as inferior over 50% of the regular worshippers in the CofE. [...]

Personally, I reckon the "flying bishops" set the precedent for this, as well as being wrong in itself. I'd have offered 'em a choice between compensation (as the terms of their contract had been altered) or working with female priests as colleagues and equals while keeping their beliefs to themselves. I'd also have offered compensation to the women kept waiting for so long. It's scandalous that the only people who got a payout were the very people who voted to exclude women on the grounds of their gender.
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Whatever label they give themselves or are given - flying bishops (Ebbsfleet etc).

Now, anyone got a name for the incoming Bishop to the second incarnation of the KKK (or whatever)?

--------------------

Byron
Shipmate
# 15532

Dragon-without-portfolio?
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

I meant as in the name of the uber manly chap who is to be the pro-Headship bishop.

I hope his mother is alive to send him to bed without any supper for being such a horrid little beast...

[ 09. December 2014, 17:21: Message edited by: L'organist ]

--------------------

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

quote:
And just across into Kent you had Hildenborough Hall... which the smooth-voiced beared NP ran with his (no ex) wife Margaret for a number of years before his move to ASLP...

Sorry, L'organist, but that's a little too gnomic for me. Who? What? ASLP? [Confused]

(I know Hildenborough Hall. When I was a teen, the youth group went there a few times for weekends. I remember Justyn Rees (or Rust in Peace, as we called him). There was a guy called Max as well, I think. It was a long time ago...)

--------------------

Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

quote:
quote:

Sorry, L'organist, but that's a little too gnomic for me. Who? What? ASLP? [Confused]

(I know Hildenborough Hall. When I was a teen, the youth group went there a few times for weekends. I remember Justyn Rees (or Rust in Peace, as we called him). There was a guy called Max as well, I think. It was a long time ago...)

All Souls Langham Place, I am assuming?

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Nick Page. Sometime secretary of the International Christian Media Commission? Did a lot of stuff for LBC.

Got involved with All Souls Langham Place (friend of Michael Baughen and Noel Tredinnick), hosted Prom Praise, big promoter of Mr Ken***ck,etc. He's now with Lapido Media, who've been advising some of the big African churches on image over the bad press they've received re 'deliverance ministry'.

--------------------

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

quote:
Nick Page. Sometime secretary of the International Christian Media Commission? Did a lot of stuff for LBC.

Got involved with All Souls Langham Place (friend of Michael Baughen and Noel Tredinnick), hosted Prom Praise, big promoter of Mr Ken***ck,etc. He's now with Lapido Media, who've been advising some of the big African churches on image over the bad press they've received re 'deliverance ministry'.

Nope. Doesn't ring a bell. Although I find it amusing that Lapido Media's website isn't functioning.

My big worry here is that I went to University with a guy called Nick Page. I hope to goodness it isn't him, as he certainly wasn't the sharpest pencil in the case, if you catch my drift.

--------------------

JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But what about FiF churches? Is it assumed that their views on women will trump all others and they will be happy with a ConEvo bishop?

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Well, you might aks why the conevos can't accept the ministry of one of the existing Flying Bishops. Wrong kind of misogyny, I suppose.
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Definitely the wrong sort of misogyny - how can you call yourself a true woman hater and yet wear lace, for God's sake?

The ConEvo isn't just misogynist as some abstract concept, he marries a woman of his own so he can make her feel 'special': this process involves the following
  • constant belittling
  • treating like a child
  • making sure she knows her views - on anything - should only be shared with other sufferers (sorry, women) and small children
  • impregnating, preferably annually, so we can out-breed the wicked AngloCaths and others who don't share our obssessions
  • brainwashing so she knows how 'special' and 'blessed' she is
  • making her support all the bullying of our children so she, and they, have no possible support network within the family
  • cutting her off from her birth family if they don't share my views - we need to keep our family pure, don't we?
  • ensuring our children only mix with other children from families like ours so they too grow up 'pure'

Makes the average lace-wearing, gin-sipping AC look like a saint.

Share flying bishops? No AC bishop, however misogynistic, could ever approach the true woman-hating credentials, or hypocrisy, of a 'headship believer.

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

[Overused] , l'o.
And in fact, on reflection, I can see how you could in theory be opposed to OoW on A-C grounds and yet not be (very) misogynistic: for example, if your objection was based on beliefs about the lack of authority of the CofE, as a part of the western Church, to make such a a change, acting on its own. I suspoect that most (male) A-C opponents of OoW are misogynistic, but they might not all be. But 'headship', ISTM, is just structural misogyny.

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

You mean Max Sinclair. I worked on the domestic staff at HH for a student summer job 1981. Vaguely remember the name Nick Page, now that someone mentioned it.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Not structural Albertus, the word is visceral.

<tangent>
Anyone else think that the incidence of anti-female - whether AC or ConEvo - people has increased since bishops got shorter? I only ask because a friend holds to this and I can't see that they're wrong ... </tangent>

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

re: HH

Nick Page and his wife (Margaret?) ran the place from sometime in the 1960s to at least the early 1980s. Of course, as his broadcasting increased I suspect he spent less time in the Weald.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Not structural Albertus, the word is visceral.

<tangent>
Anyone else think that the incidence of anti-female - whether AC or ConEvo - people has increased since bishops got shorter? I only ask because a friend holds to this and I can't see that they're wrong ... </tangent>

I've always felt that viscera were involved somewhere - or at least the brain stem rather than anything higher than the "reptilian" brain.

Interesting point about height, though. If true, this means that the height of bishops has run counter to the general increase in height in the population as a whole, post war. I'm used to older men including many shorter than me (I'm average female.) Unless they were of officer class. I wonder if taller people do not need to put others down to maintain their sense of status.

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

Welby is short, Sentamu average height; Warner is VERY short; Holtam is not a giant; Chartres is a decent height.

Hinde (now retired) was not tall, nor Hill (Guildford); Priddis (ex-Hereford) was c 5'10".

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Penny S:
quote:
I wonder if taller people do not need to put others down to maintain their sense of status.
I know quite a lot of short men who are not misogynists, including my husband, who is about an inch shorter than I am - although he is not a bishop, either.

[ 10. December 2014, 09:34: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leprechaun

Ship's Poison Elf
# 5408

- Posted      Profile for Leprechaun     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The ConEvo isn't just misogynist as some abstract concept, he marries a woman of his own so he can make her feel 'special': this process involves the following
  • constant belittling
  • treating like a child
  • making sure she knows her views - on anything - should only be shared with other sufferers (sorry, women) and small children
  • impregnating, preferably annually, so we can out-breed the wicked AngloCaths and others who don't share our obssessions
  • making her support all the bullying of our children so she, and they, have no possible support network within the family
  • cutting her off from her birth family if they don't share my views - we need to keep our family pure, don't we?
  • ensuring our children only mix with other children from families like ours so they too grow up 'pure'

I know lots of married conservative evangelicals, and I don't know any marriages like this amongst them.

But, y'know, don't let facts get in the way of a good rant. It's clearly making you feel better.

[ 10. December 2014, 10:33: Message edited by: Leprechaun ]

Posts: 3097 | From: England - far from home... | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Charles Read
Shipmate
# 3963

- Posted      Profile for Charles Read   Author's homepage   Email Charles Read   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Though I don't agree with male headship or headship bishops etc. L'Organist's post was rather ranting! However, there is just a grain of truth in it.

And re eight of bishops - you should check out the bishop of Liverpool.

--------------------
"I am a sinful human being - why do you expect me to be consistent?" George Bebawi

"This is just unfocussed wittering." Ian McIntosh

Posts: 701 | From: Norwich | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Charles Read
Shipmate
# 3963

- Posted      Profile for Charles Read   Author's homepage   Email Charles Read   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'eight of bishops' ??

I typed height of bishops.

Clearly my computer does not understand this headship lark. It is meant to be subordinate to me.

--------------------
"I am a sinful human being - why do you expect me to be consistent?" George Bebawi

"This is just unfocussed wittering." Ian McIntosh

Posts: 701 | From: Norwich | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Sorry L'Organist, with Leprechaun on this. I know many ConEvo male headship supporters, and none with marriages like that. For a start, the most strident male headship supporters I know are female.

I don't think it's on to accuse every married ConEvo male of being an abusive husband.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Whatever label they give themselves or are given - flying bishops (Ebbsfleet etc).

As you don't understand between Forward in Faith (which has flying bishops) and Affirming Catholics (who regard them as a grave departure from catholic order), it is unlikely that your comments on related issues are likely to have been thought through.

--------------------

Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hold no brief for the beggars but I would hope that my support for the ordination of women rested on surer foundations than my tall and willowy* good looks.

Callan
(5'11" since it seems to be an issue)

*Since I've been to the gym regularly. Prior to that I was more one of the stout oaks of England with the emphasis on stout.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
quote:
quote:

You mean Max Sinclair. I worked on the domestic staff at HH for a student summer job 1981. Vaguely remember the name Nick Page, now that someone mentioned it.
That's the guy. He was in a bad car accident, I seem to remember. My lot used to hang out there in the late 70's.

--------------------

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Definitely the wrong sort of misogyny - how can you call yourself a true woman hater and yet wear lace, for God's sake?

• constant belittling
  • treating like a child

Makes the average lace-wearing, gin-sipping AC look like a saint.

Share flying bishops? No AC bishop, however misogynistic, could ever approach the true woman-hating credentials, or hypocrisy, of a 'headship believer.

Sounds like someone's spiked your gin with Toilet Duck (perhaps even Pledge). Eat less cheese before bedtime old chap.

In getting on for 40 years in Con Evo circles, I've never met anyone remotely like that. Truth be told I've met a lot of feisty women including my own wife and 3 daughters who would never do anything just because a man told them to.

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my limited exposure to headship folk, I have to say I wouldn't have wanted to take on any of the wives, and from observation neither did their husbands. They might preach headship, but the ladies told them what to decide [Biased]

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Certainly the most noticeable headship people in the CoE are female.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016