homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Male headship bishop (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Male headship bishop
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just read this on Twitter:

quote:
The case for the British monarchy can be summed up in two words: "President Blair"

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
But one thing which I think that you and I both agree on is that being a republican is not really consistent with being CofE, especially with being a CofE cleric.

That's very true and it's one reason - amongst others - why I'm ordained in another denomination...
And that's a very respectable position (not that you need me to say that): you know where you stand, and so does everyone else. You're not taking oaths and making declarations with reservations or with your fingers crossed, and kidding yourself that that makes you some kind of cool rebel, like a fifth-former slipping rude words into the school song on speech day. If there's a conversation to be had, the cards are on the table, and agreements and disagreements can be identified and worked with.
Of course, it helps if there's a suitable other denomination for you to be ordained in! My choice of church is either CoE or RCC, only one of which will ordain me since I am a woman. I don't see how being ordained in another denomination whose theology I don't agree with is more honest than being a republican member of the CoE.

I'm not trying to be a cool rebel, I'm trying to follow the vocation God has called me to without leaving my brain at the door.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Paul.:
Just read this on Twitter:

quote:
The case for the British monarchy can be summed up in two words: "President Blair"

Surely 'King Charles III' makes the case for the British republic? The point is that it's not about individual nice monarchs v individual nasty politicians, but the inherent unfairness of the monarchy. George W Bush having been twice President doesn't suddenly mean the US should have become a monarchy.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The converse argument in favour of the monarchy is, as I think Palmerston said of the Garter, that 'there's no damn' merit in it'.
I think that the USA would have been a lot better off if it had remained a monarchy (that is, in personal union with the British crown rather than the Spanish or French). Then it might have developed its abundant good qualities to become been as happy and settled a country as say Canada or Australia, rather than the deeply messed up place that it is.

[ 13. May 2015, 23:31: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Louise
Shipmate
# 30

- Posted      Profile for Louise   Email Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
hosting
Oops, too much tangent! Please take the tangent about the royals/republicanism/royal supremacy per se to Purgatory and open a new thread there, if you wish to continue it. Please use this thread for beliefs about male headship and the episcopate.

Many thanks!
Louise
DH Host

hosting off

--------------------
Now you need never click a Daily Mail link again! Kittenblock replaces Mail links with calming pics of tea and kittens! http://www.teaandkittens.co.uk/ Click under 'other stuff' to find it.

Posts: 6918 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016