homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Abp Welby will attend your (gay) wedding

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Abp Welby will attend your (gay) wedding
Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

- Posted      Profile for Joesaphat   Email Joesaphat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
but will have you defrocked afterwards. What do people make of his interview by Michael Gove?

--------------------
Opening my mouth and removing all doubt, online.

Posts: 418 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2015  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
what interview? where?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've found one asking about what if his children were gay and if he'd attend theirs but not about anyone else.
Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

- Posted      Profile for Joesaphat   Email Joesaphat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Spectator, a couple of days ago... just don't venture into the comments unless you actually feel too happy.

--------------------

Joesaphat
Shipmate
# 18493

quote:
Originally posted by Chocoholic:
I've found one asking about what if his children were gay and if he'd attend theirs but not about anyone else.

That's the one... I just extrapolated to assume that he says he's happy to attend gay weddings in general and yet happy with a ban on their celebration in church... unless of course his kids are not Christians.

--------------------

TomM
Shipmate
# 4618

- Posted      Profile for TomM     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I believe the interview in question is this one:
Spectator Interview

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is worth pointing out- although I do not claim that this applies to ++Welby- that one can believe that
a) what is now described as marriage between two persons of the same sex is not, ontologically, quite the same thing as marriage between persons fo the opposite sex AND
(b) that what is described as marriage between two persons of the same sex is neither sinful nor in any way an inferior or less honourable an institution than is marriage between persons fo the opposite sex.

Now, where you go from that position, which is more or less mine, is a judgement call. For myself, I would rather we had different but genuinely equal words for the two. But we don't and I can't think of any term for what is described as marriage between two persons of the same sex which doesn't imply that it is in some way inferior. So I grit my teeth and say that sacrificing a degree of terminological exactitude is much the lesser of the two evils, and let's call it marriage and have done with it. But that doesn't mean I think it's quite the same thing as marriage as it has previously been understood. It just means that applying the same name to the two is the only way I can think of of according to both institutions the equal honour which they should be accorded.

I hope that it goes without saying that I think that the CofE's policy towards gay clergy who marry their partners is petty and vindictive and wrong. I would much rather the Church required cohabiting gay clergy to marry, just as it would require cohabiting heterosexual clergy.

[ 12. December 2015, 10:33: Message edited by: Albertus ]

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm glad he is (like me) addicted to "The West Wing", a series hardly known for either gay bashing or sympathy for right wing evangelicalism.

(A famous example.)

At present I'm happy with "Let Welby be Welby".

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joesaphat:
The Spectator, a couple of days ago... just don't venture into the comments unless you actually feel too happy.

Naturally, I ventured.

You know the way J J Abrams rebooted Star Trek, thus sending its world down a different trouser leg universe?

I feel I've just had a glimpse of another leg from ours.

[ 14. December 2015, 18:02: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Bibaculus
Shipmate
# 18528

- Posted      Profile for Bibaculus   Email Bibaculus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Blimey. The poor chap was obviously put on the spot. What else could he say? I wouldn't suppose that the fact that a man wants to support his children, even if they are making choices which he would not consider ideal, should be taken as making an ex cathedra statement of the Church of England's doctrine; even less that His Grace is indicating that he would be delighted to sing a nuptial High Mass for any random same sex couple who wanted to marry in Canterbury Cathedral.

--------------------
A jumped up pantry boy who never knew his place

Posts: 257 | From: In bed. Mostly. When I can get away with it. | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged
Jolly Jape
Shipmate
# 3296

- Posted      Profile for Jolly Jape   Email Jolly Jape   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibaculus:
Blimey. The poor chap was obviously put on the spot. What else could he say? I wouldn't suppose that the fact that a man wants to support his children, even if they are making choices which he would not consider ideal, should be taken as making an ex cathedra statement of the Church of England's doctrine; even less that His Grace is indicating that he would be delighted to sing a nuptial High Mass for any random same sex couple who wanted to marry in Canterbury Cathedral.

It's probably something that he's though about in quite a bit of detail, actually, since Vicky Beeching is a close family friend. He must have considered what would happen if or when she were to meet someone she wanted to marry.

--------------------
To those who have never seen the flow and ebb of God's grace in their lives, it means nothing. To those who have seen it, even fleetingly, even only once - it is life itself. (Adeodatus)

Posts: 3011 | From: A village of gardens | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Penny--

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
quote:
Originally posted by Joesaphat:

Naturally, I ventured.

You know the way J J Abrams rebooted Star Trek, thus sending its world down a different trouser leg universe?

I feel I've just had a glimpse of another leg from ours.

Ok, I've skimmed a bunch of the comments. They sound like a lot of stuff that's been said on the Ship. (Of course, most of us would each have gone on a bit longer! [Biased] ) A lot of it sounds like the current homosexuality thread in Hell.

What's alt-universe about the comments on the site?

Thx.

ETA: From what the ABC said in that article, I like him--though I disagree about the religious ad.

[ 22. December 2015, 01:15: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Golly, I've forgotten! And I'm not going back to re-read. But they didn't seem to be the utterances of anyone like anyone I have ever known*, and much more extreme than the threads here. Ignorant, abusive, poisonous, and quite scarey to think that these people share space in any way with the majority of humanity.

*Or indeed of the people who infest the Guardian and who are clearly not typical Grauniad readers.

[ 22. December 2015, 07:56: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016