homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » WTF!? Let's not do the Time Warp again

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: WTF!? Let's not do the Time Warp again
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clicking the Purgatory link on the main discussion board page takes me back to April

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Lasr Post takes me to the last post, but I cannot reach any other current post in Purg.
And the main page reflects April in its most recent posts.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Community page Purg link seems fine now, front page current links isn't.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember seeing that behavior once a long time ago, but at the moment it is working fine for me.

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Yeah, all back to "normal" for me as well.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks like the software had another hiccup. Does anyone have a glass of water handy?

We all know that we need new software, but unfortunately new software costs money, something of which we do not have a great deal. The faster the Floating Fund grows, the sooner we'll be in a position to seriously consider the options.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there a bug in the PM system too? I was sent one a few days ago that has never shown up here, and the automatic notification sent to my e-mail address was sent to spam by Gmail - I only caught it by chance yesterday.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are you certain it was a PM? People can send emails via the Ship as well, and they look very similar to the PM notification.

Not that something screwed up in the PM system isn't also possible.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
Looks like the software had another hiccup. Does anyone have a glass of water handy?

We all know that we need new software, but unfortunately new software costs money, something of which we do not have a great deal. The faster the Floating Fund grows, the sooner we'll be in a position to seriously consider the options.

Every glitch is followed by a similar statement. Hmmmm...
🤔

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Every glitch is followed by a similar statement.

Yep. Because it's true. We're sitting here with horribly obsolete and unsupported software, and will be until we can afford to pay for a more modern alternative.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

It's a joke, son, a joke I say. Implying that the glitches are intentional to raise money.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
Are you certain it was a PM? People can send emails via the Ship as well, and they look very similar to the PM notification.

Not that something screwed up in the PM system isn't also possible.

If it was rocket science I'd probably understand it, but it isn't and I don't... but I think you are right. The message arrived with the sender's e-mail address, so that would be it - thanks!

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It's a joke, son, a joke I say. Implying that the glitches are intentional to raise money.

Congratulations! You have busted the myth on which so much public spending is founded!

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seriously though, how much is a suitable replacement going to cost?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An often-asked but never-answered question.
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by passer:
An often-asked but never-answered question.

That is because the code is a lie! There is no problem with the software, the crew are living large on the donations!

I'm going to guess that the donations received are barely enough to pay to maintain what we have. No need to discuss costs of software which are nowhere near in reach.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No intention of suggesting that donation money was piling up anywhere. I was merely pointing out that this often-asked question has never been answered.

My understanding, from the myriad previous iterations of this discussion, is that nobody has ever done any analysis of what the actual cost of upgrading/updating the platform might be, because nobody has the authority so to do. The platform owner is aware of and has occasionally contributed to the message-board, but his primary focus appears to be on the larger site, which is fair enough.

To the best of my knowledge there has never been a coordinated exercise to gather funds to formulate a project plan. Many people have offered to donate IT skills and expertise, but I've not seen any indication that any of these offers have ever been taken up.

From my forty-odd years of experience in the IT world, what typically happens in these situations is that one day, the camel's-back-breaking software straw manifests, and it falls over and dies, with not so much as a whispered farewell.

Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Seriously though, how much is a suitable replacement going to cost?

The real question is "which replacement can we afford?" There are options that only cost a few dozen pounds per month, and others that cost hundreds per month. Matching what we want to what we can afford isn't easy.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by passer:
Many people have offered to donate IT skills and expertise, but I've not seen any indication that any of these offers have ever been taken up.

Were I Simon, I would not touch those offers with a hundred metre pole. I say this with much experience in volunteering and dealing with volunteers.
Volunteers staff booths, professionals build them.

[ 27. November 2016, 16:19: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

- Posted      Profile for Goldfish Stew   Email Goldfish Stew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably in the same category, but right now the most recent post on the circus page (and main page circus subsection) is
2017 Celebrity Death... (Spike) 30 December, 2016 10:31

Which I already noted on
30 December, 2016 17:43 by Goldfish Stew

(NZ time)...

Now I'm wondering how to exploit this time variance for comic amusement in the future

--------------------

Posts: 2405 | From: Aotearoa/New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Every glitch is followed by a similar statement.

Yep. Because it's true. We're sitting here with horribly obsolete and unsupported software, and will be until we can afford to pay for a more modern alternative.
I suspect that the affording it isn't the issue: there's no proposal out for donating to a project to upgrade, there's no info that there's any plan at all. (This thread was bumped by a more recent post, and I saw this.)

I think the SOF suffers from nostalgia. Harkening after the golden days of yore, fear or worry about change. Worry about traditions, the cachet of a low member number, historical structures, other forms of inertia. That sort of thing. Having asked such questions before. Setting that aside:

There are several models of "software replacement". One is to keep running what you have until it completely craps out. So long as it works nearly all of the time, there's no need to do too much, except maintenance. Perhaps this is partly the SOF model if nostalgia isn't the sole reason.

If replacement is desired, buying software and then paying again for maintenance of it is the oldest model, but not the only nor necessarily the best. Using open source and paying for maintenance only is cheaper. You have to have someone who is good with the software package you deploy. https://www.phpbb.com/ is the one I see in nearly all of the forums I frequent except this one. Free as in beer. Most university students in 1st or 2nd year would be quite able to manage it. Or people without any training at all; I was an admin on a forum for 6 years with only the training offered us within. Maintenance costs; good hired maintainers train others to do the basics and this saves lots.

FWIW. The last time I saw this discussed it went no where.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Goldfish Stew
Shipmate
# 5512

- Posted      Profile for Goldfish Stew   Email Goldfish Stew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thinking about this No Prophet, and hear what you're saying. I'm not an expert in this software by any means, but I do recall about 10 years ago or so when phpbb was used by church of fools (offshoot from the ship, now St Pixels) we moved off from that software due to security concerns about the general PHP platform, and the software itself. At the time the Church of Fools experiment was effectively painting a big bullseye on the arse of SOF/COF and there was actually at least one trolling/hacking site actively targeting the COF. This may be less of a concern now, and PHPBB may be better secured.

Any migration would definitely cost in terms of nostalgia (I'm back here after nearly a decade, and it was comforting to see the old UBB layout.)

I don't know what the UBB upgrade pathway is like here (a quick google shows it's an option in general). That could be wrapped up with a hosting package and so there may not be a simple upgrade pathway. And I assume Simon still owns the site and therefore has ultimate discretion on whether it's worth pursuing.

--------------------

Posts: 2405 | From: Aotearoa/New Zealand | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Simon is still the site owner and any decisions about any upgrades ultimately rest with him. Speaking entirely personally, I think the reason this is taking a while is nothing to do with nostalgia etc, but simply the desire to get things right for both the boards and the main site coupled with a lack of time to dedicate to actually doing it.

You can’t fund-raise for something without a proposal. Once there is one, then there will be fund raising.

Tubbs

[ 09. January 2017, 11:31: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016