homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Searching Limbo and Oblivion

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Searching Limbo and Oblivion
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there a limit to how far back it is possible to search Limbo and Oblivion, or is there a limit to the number of threads which a search will throw up? I'm trying to find old prayer threads and / or a thread about bringing up children but I can only find threads going back three or four years.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Put simply, the search function is basically non-functional. If you have a decent idea of when the last post on a thread you're looking for then a manual search isn't too slow, though a bit of work. Sometimes Google (or similar) will find threads if you confine the search to this site - it may give a link to the original (now deleted) version which gives the date information, or it may go to the archived version.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oblivion goes back to 2011, but there are some older threads. The search function does work when the board is a reasonable size - but gets more temperamental as the board gets bigger. Until, eventually, it falls over.

Limbo goes back further, but only the very best threads get put there.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps not quite the right place but there seems no Sundry Styx Questions thread. Perhaps this should start it.

Still, here goes. Madame and I are down the coast for a week or so, and today's been cool and damp. I went to the Ship history thread at the top of the index and did some browsing. so many familiar names, alas seen no more. I did come across a post from me not long after I had joined, but with a high post count on it. Nearby was a post by No Prophet but giving his present full name. So I checked and the post number for me was one reached in the last month. Another quick check shows that a post from me in February on the Episcopal Baptists thread in Ecclesiantics shows the same thread count.

Is the Ship's technology so much more advanced than I had realised to enable this sort of updating to occur?

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The post-count against your name will be updated continually, as you post. So, the first post you ever posted, if still accessible, will say 5601 posts as your count (as of this moment).

Each post will have a location in the Ship's database, with a link to your name. The name detail will be held somewhere else, and will have a marker within it showing the total number of posts against that name. When you submit a new post, that number will increment.

This detail is displayed at the bottom of each post where your name is displayed.

Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The post count, displayed name, signature, etc. in old posts are regularly updated as these fields are changed.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you both - and your new name as well, as in the case of No Prophet etc. I did not think that the Ship's technology was as advanced as that. Perhaps is old hat now.

--------------------

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by passer:
The post-count against your name will be updated continually, as you post.

Not quite - it updates automatically the next time you post on the same board (which is why Gee's post count on the post in question was from last month, rather than right now - presumably that was the last time Gee posted in Styx).

Names (and avatars, for that matter) work on the same basis.

The Admins can update all post counts, names and avatars to their current status regardless of a person's most recent posts, but it involves taking the boards down and then watching in ever-growing boredom as the creaking software ploughs sequentially through every board on the Ship at the rate of about fifty threads every fifteen seconds. That may sound pretty fast, but think about how many threads there are in Limbo and Oblivion.

We don't do it very often. Which, to get back to the question in the OP, is one of the reasons why searching Limbo and Oblivion is so difficult.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

I did not realise that I'd be sparking all of this info - wet afternoons down the coast have their own advantages.

--------------------

passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
Not quite - it updates automatically the next time you post on the same board (which is why Gee's post count on the post in question was from last month, rather than right now - presumably that was the last time Gee posted in Styx).

I understand. Thanks.
Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016