homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » When prayers of self-control are required. (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: When prayers of self-control are required.
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to the garden store yesterday, I had my garden plot map and shopping list but felt I needed the holy angel of self-control on my shoulder to stay on budget when surrounded by so many plants calling my name. This is my spring weakness. In the winter I need that some holy self-control angel with me in the bookstore. Shipmates when do you need to call upon your self-control angel? [Angel]

[ 21. April 2017, 16:33: Message edited by: Graven Image ]

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are things that I have agreed with myself to never begin collecting. Teapots. Baskets. Roving. Majolica ware. (And never ever a Majolica teapot in the shape of a basket filled with roving!) Because once I begin I will never stop.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is roving?
Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wool shops are a den of temptation to me. I might go into one, or see some on the net and next thing I know, yarn. Great quantities of it.

I am currently resisting calling Uber to take me to a newly opened shop fairly near me. Their web site is amazing and so is their stock.

I have already spent money this year twice at a yarn shop in Hobart, Tasmania. I blame shipmate Cranmer's Baggage for that. I saw her name and recommendatio on FB. Nothing to do with my lack of will power, no nothing at all [Big Grin]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pangolin Guerre:
What is roving?

Sorry, I meant to answer this in my post. Here you are, Roving
Plenty of other sites too but the picture was clear here.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I swore I would never learn to spin. Because once I did I would be lost. Knitting is bad enough. (You must never be in the US the first weekend in May. the Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival takes place near Baltimore, and it is terrifying. I know people who go with minivans.)

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I used to have an Ashford wheel, but have done no spinning for ages.

. We do not have those huge days here. Bus markets in Canberra has a good day, except it is usually not only cold but wet and muddy. There are craft shows but knitting comes a very bad last usually in terms of exhibitors and supplies.

There are now many online shops with great stuff from very small Australian suppliers. And of course Bendigo mills. Good wool for crocheted rugs etc. Mostly crepe style but big ball, 200gm at very cheap prices. Unfortunately, as my mother used to say, champagne tastes on beer budget.

I use only wool. Acrylic burns my fingers and I hate the finished product usually. Good yarn calls my name and spreads the cost over quite a while as I knit it. Am just finishing a lap rug of squares for winter and have yet another shawl planned from Malabrigo sock yarn.

Oh dear, you can see why I fall to temptation which was what this thread started as.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Self control is, IMHO, vastly over-rated!

Nah, not really but...

I am [sometimes] grateful that I am prevented by law from going into any sort of debt [non-Indian so can't borrow money here and non-resident in UK so can't borrow money there]. Bookshops and, more recently, Kindle Store being my major temptations although cute little techie items also attract.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...and kitchenware!

For some bizarre reason I love kitchenware shops, could happily spend hours browsing and spending money in them.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
...and kitchenware!

You and me both, WW. And shoes. [Hot and Hormonal]

I have a delightful guardian angel. He's called D. and does everything he can to keep me away from retail emporia of every kind.

[Killing me]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mm, books for me too. But also crafts [Hot and Hormonal] . I've managed to mostly restrict myself to fabric now, but went to a craft show a couple of weeks ago with a friend as bad as me [Help] . Ribbons, buttons, fat quarters, wool ..... And then I got seduced by needle felting [Axe murder] and a whole new chapter started in my crafting life [Ultra confused]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think all my weaknesses have been covered here already. Major downsizing has severely cut my storage space, and I bought as much as I could fit in here with me.
That deals with books, garden plants (other than veggies which are a yearly requirement) and fabric.
However we had a new grandbaby arrive in January and, oddly, very little of my reduced-to-60ltr storage-boxful of yarn had just what was needed for the particular little garments I made - and will be making for next winter.
To top it all, there is more access to yarn locally than I had before, so I'm having to keep away unless something specific is wanted.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My self-control angel has to beat me about the head and shoulders when I look at music books! As my eyesight has gotten less able to read poor copies of my favorites, I find the good (and more expensive) versions much more easy to read! Especially those published by B...., which have excellent and clear engraving.

I argue with that angel. "I don't have these twenty-ish lovely works by M or S or D!!"
Angel: "You have bills to pay and you need to save your money."
Me: "Just five? Can I get my five favorites? They're on sale!!!
Angel: "No."
[Waterworks]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just unloaded 25% of my fabric stash to a thrift store. I pray that I can clear out another 25% rather than replace the fabric already gone.

sabine

[ 22. April 2017, 15:42: Message edited by: sabine ]

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Predictably - dog beds, blankets and toys.

I usually give in and buy [Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Occasionally God in his mercy sends me angels in disguise to tell me I'm collecting too many responsibilities. So far I have been able to give away any over-accumulations of stuff.

Cattyish, resting.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Angel of self control must have a host of associates busy internationally at book shops, craft shops and antique fairs. No, I really don't need to collect Carnival glass, not even blue-green pieces. Nor do I need more Art Nouveau brooches...

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Predictably - dog beds, blankets and toys.

I usually give in and buy [Big Grin]

As Oscar Wilde so famously said:

quote:
I can resist everything except temptation.

--------------------

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like tools. Luckily, in the spirit of this thread, the place I used to go mad for a fix (Tilley lamp mantles? BA nut spinners? BSF taps? Aldis lamp or demob cufflinks from WW2 surplus? No problem sir) is now derelict.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Roses and books. But apparently God loves both, so there's no problem with the fact that my prayers aren't working. Or aren't, actually, being prayed. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Surely a solid case could be made that Heaven has a library. A biiiiigg library.

--------------------

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes. Surrounded by a rose garden.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re Heaven and libraries:

I rather like Terry Pratchett's idea of L-space, as found in the library of the wizards' Unseen University. Contains all books ever written, anywhere, and those still to be written.

Of course, I'd want the Librarian, too--a human wizard become an orangutan, who's so much happier that he refuses to change back. Probably has more sense than all the other U Univ. wizards combined.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re bookstores:

Took me a long time, but I did become able to browse a bookstore *without* buying anything. [Smile]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Yes, I can escape the bookstore, but Kindle purchases are another thing. Click, oops!

--------------------

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Golden Key shared
quote:
Re bookstores:

Took me a long time, but I did become able to browse a bookstore *without* buying anything. [Smile]

[Overused]
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
Surely a solid case could be made that Heaven has a library. A biiiiigg library.

Rather, Heaven is a library. [Axe murder]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does it have fines for overdue books?
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cheese. These are the stages of eating cheese:

[Smile] eating cheese
[Yipee] eating more cheese
[Projectile] having eaten too much cheese
[Smile] eating more cheese

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:

No fines, and no overdue-ness. New copies (cloned down to age and wear) automatically appear for each borrower, so no one has to wait. Yet the original can remain safely in the stacks!
[Yipee]

--------------------

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On a different tack – prayers of self-control are required at bed time when I just want to have a quick look at what's been happening on the Ship.

That's why I'm here, writing. I need to be in bed now, or sooner...

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
quote:

No fines, and no overdue-ness. New copies (cloned down to age and wear) automatically appear for each borrower, so no one has to wait. Yet the original can remain safely in the stacks!
[Yipee]

I also trust that in the New Creation our mortal limitations of language fall away along with our problems with eyesight, so that we can read everything with ease. There are entire swathes of literature that I have already postponed to the Heavenly realm, because I know I have not the life span or vision sufficient now, to become fluent in French, or Greek, or Latin, etc.

Oh, and author discussions! A nice round-table talk with Tolstoy about whether War & Peace would not benefit from some editorial cuts; Victor Hugo and Robert Jordan could sit in and Charles Dickens could be the moderator. Ask Jane Austen if she has had a look at the Twilight books and enjoy the explosion...

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Terry Pratchett's concept of L-space clearly extends to second-hand bookshops as well as libraries.

There is in this fair city a bookshop whose interior dimensions are patently far greater than its exterior dimensions, and in which self-control as to buying of books is sorely needed.

The latter is aided, in this case (sadly) by the rather surly demeanour of its staff - the shop could really do with an enthusiastic orang-utan or two...

[Disappointed]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

You do not speak of Powell's, in Portland Oregon, do you? A good earthly analogue of the booklover's Heaven. It even has a coffee shop and wifi, and the depth of their used books is such that I know of authors who begin their research by going to Powell's and buying every book there on a given subject.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alas, no, though it sounds a Good Place To Visit, should I be teleported one day to the U S of A.

Our local place has space , but no wifi or café (they are to be found adjacently).

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I realize that I must never live within walking distance of Powell's in Oregon. Otherwise I will go in and never leave.

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
I went to the garden store yesterday, I had my garden plot map and shopping list but felt I needed the holy angel of self-control on my shoulder to stay on budget when surrounded by so many plants calling my name. This is my spring weakness.

You are not alone on this one. I have a plan to gradually convert my front lawn from turf grass to water-wise perennial flowers and ornamental grasses, and as soon as I hit the perennial patio at the local garden center, I have to remind myself that the key word is "gradually".

But things always look better in mass plantings, right? And why settle for three agastache when seven would cover so much more ground and look so much more natural? [Ultra confused]

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

Og posted
quote:
You are not alone on this one. I have a plan to gradually convert my front lawn from turf grass to water-wise perennial flowers and ornamental grasses, and as soon as I hit the perennial patio at the local garden center, I have to remind myself that the key word is "gradually".
Having done just that 2 years ago I would suggest you remember the small plants you buy will GROW quickly into much larger plants. Graven Image who now knows she needed about 1/3 less front yard ornamental grasses and lavender then she planted in place of her front lawn.
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You ARE one of those books.

Are you overdue yet?

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You ARE one of those books.

Are you overdue yet?

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
I realize that I must never live within walking distance of Powell's in Oregon. Otherwise I will go in and never leave.

Actually Powell's City of Books has several locations, all of which include used as well as new books. There's a convenient branch in the PDX Airport in case you just happen to be passing through, but it is comparatively small.

We used to enforce discipline on our visits by parking at a meter with a 90 minute maximum. They are, however, accessible from public transit, and I'm sure the staff will wake you politely at closing time and help you to find your way out.

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Music, as in sheet music and scores: I have a vast collection that becomes ever more difficult to store properly.

I justify it to myself that the problem isn't so bad when you consider that my hoard is spread across 6 instruments, plus choral music, but even so.

I have made a start on clearing stuff out by getting rid of books of scales and arpeggios, sight-reading samples, etc, and I've also found a home for all my horn, 'cello and flute music other than stuff I can /wish to play at the moment - two local prep schools were suitably grateful!

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a whole world out there of food, drink and pleasures of the flesh, and you lot are fetishising about books?

You guys are weirding me out. And that takes some doing.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to weird Karl out even further by saying that what I have the most trouble with is particularly second-hand books. I have a much easier time resisting new books, but there's something about a used book that twigs that "get it now or you'll never see it again" reflex.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I, too, have a love of books (and, yes, second-hand books have a special charm). I realized I was in trouble when I mentioned to my brother that something was appealing to my latent bibliomania and he, bless him, looked askance at me and asked "What do you mean 'latent'?"

But, honestly, where I really need self control is with mechanical clocks (usually antique...but some newer ones tempt me too). As it is, in six rooms, I have ten clocks that bong at least the hour (and most the half hour). And yet, so help me, I am beginning to feel that old itch again...thinking, you know, that that wall over there looks a little bare and wouldn't a nice pendulum clock be a perfect fit for it? And couldn't the top of the bookcase handle another mantle clock so I could balance it with one on either end? And, really, only one tall-case clock in this house? Doesn't the dining room deserve one too?

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
There's a whole world out there of food, drink and pleasures of the flesh, and you lot are fetishising about books?

You guys are weirding me out. And that takes some doing.

They also have these things called libraries, where you can get pretty much any book you would want to read for free, as long as you bring it back.

It took me a long time to appreciate my local library, I admit, but since that happened about three years ago, I have bought maybe four books. Including one paperback that I bought specifically so that I could finish it while on a beach vacation and not have to haul it home.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Oh, Og. You poor sweet thing. Libraries have books, yes. And with Inter Library Loan in the US I can draw upon member libraries nationwide. But there are books that are simply not in any library, and there are search programs like Overdrive to prove this.
So, the strategy: into the used book store. Fatally, Powell's has wifi. With my Ipad or smartphone I can search the world, whenever I find a book I want on the bookstore shelf. Is it in any library, anywhere? If it is, I don't buy it, of course. But if it isn't, then I stand at the brink of calamity. It would astonish you, how many books there are like this. I have fourteen overloaded floor-to-ceiling steel bookcases to prove it.

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Surely books ARE a pleasure of the flesh!

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Books are a pleasure and a vice, WW. I stayed in bed on a stormy winterish morning reading Henry James' The Europeans this morning, unable to put it down or even make coffee or answer the phone. And over the years I have spent more on cookbooks than anyone I know. I've also run up a small fortune in library fines and gone without decent clothes in order to buy obscure literary fiction. And I don't regret any of it.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree Karl, there is a world of other temptation out there.

On the food & drink front, I can resist most things but on a cold, damp evening hot buttered toast topped with smoked oysters and watercress takes a lot of beating; if the lousy weather is first thing my vice is fried bread spread with marmalade.

I draw a veil over the other pleasures of the flesh except to say that warmth is essential [Biased]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016