homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Look what I created! Crafting 2017 (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Look what I created! Crafting 2017
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Boogie. I am telling myself that knitting involves plain and purl stitches and manipulating them in various ways. That shawl has slipped stitches. Have done plenty of that before, similarly with cables.

I can count too andI think that is important to working properly. I am used to "reading" my knitting to keep on track and to troubleshoot. That comes from intricate lace work.

I live by myself, so have no one to distract me.

I know it is a challenge, but consider it worthwhile for my brain nd for the product. I am often a product knitter but have decided I will enjoy the process.

I too knit for hand exercise but have had to cut down on the amount done at any onetime. It is exercise for my bumpy, swollen, misshapen fingers. That shawl is modular.

Have you considered cowls on your loom? I am convert to them. Warm and cosy and they stay in place, unlike many scarves.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It must be so difficult knitting with stiff and swollen fingers. I am lucky that I do not have that problem.
I am continuing with my knitting activity. My daughter-in-law visited the other day and I showed her my latest effort and she said I should call it 'abstract knitting', which I shall do from now on!! If I find I've added a few stitches, I just drop a few to even it up a bit. [Smile]

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
It must be so difficult knitting with stiff and swollen fingers. I am lucky that I do not have that problem.
I am continuing with my knitting activity. My daughter-in-law visited the other day and I showed her my latest effort and she said I should call it 'abstract knitting', which I shall do from now on!! If I find I've added a few stitches, I just drop a few to even it up a bit. [Smile]

A great attitude to have instead of getting all hot and bothered.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This weekend I am seeing my youngest grandchildren. The last picture of Miss four that I received by phone was of her with a curly red palm tree of hair on top of her head., She had demanded that her daddy give her "Hair like Poppy" (The Trolls Movie). And he nailed it. But I saw an online video of how to make troll hair very simply by tying strips of tulle to a headband and then holding it vertically with an elastic band. So I tried it last night.

Brilliant. A great dress up. So I have had fun making hair like Poppy, Branch and Bridget. One for her, and her grandad and I will arrive wearing the other two.

Heh. Back in the early seventies I detested the troll dolls. When they returned in the late eighties I refused to buy them for my own kids. But my daughter asked us to watch the movie with her children last week, and hats off to the story writers. I really liked its message, which is largely anti-racial.
The last laugh is on me. I have finally made my peace with trolls!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The fairly traded fabric I ordered online is great, but I've done something weird to the pattern I've made about eight times before and the sleeves are too tight. I might need to make this tunic dress sleeveless.

Cattyish, solving problems of my own creation.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you have any leftover fabric, you can probably fix it by inserting a gusset. A strip of fabric, up the sleeve seam? A diamond-shaped insert, taking in the sleeve seam and the side seam of the garment? You could use a substitute fabric and experiment with shapes until you get the exact right one, and then cut the actual dress scraps and seam them in. Even if you cannot match the pattern precisely, it'll pass in a crowd with a push. The number of people who will get in there and closely examine your underarm is surely not large.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few minutes ago I put the final stitch in my Persian Tiles blanket. It's taken me over a year to make - though I have done 3 baby blankets and a couple of fiddle muffs in between, and I still have lots of ends to weave in, but it is COMPLETED!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Doone
Shipmate
# 18470

- Posted      Profile for Doone   Email Doone   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Yipee]
Posts: 2208 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2015  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
A few minutes ago I put the final stitch in my Persian Tiles blanket. It's taken me over a year to make - though I have done 3 baby blankets and a couple of fiddle muffs in between, and I still have lots of ends to weave in, but it is COMPLETED!

Great feeling, isn't it? Well done.

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last night, I put the final stitch in my Persian Tiles blanket. It's taken me over a year to make - though I have done 3 baby blankets and a couple of fiddle muffs in between, and I still have lots of ends to weave in, but it is COMPLETED!

--------------------

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

Oops, didn't think it had sent - but still very pleased. Now it's weaving in all the ends.
Note to self: If you ever do something like this again, deal with the ends as you go along.

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
St. Gwladys, that sounds amazing! Can you share a picture with us?

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

I'm not sure how to do that, but if you google "Persian Tiles blanket", you should find a picture.

--------------------

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just sewn in the last square on the big patchwork blanket I've been knitting for over a year. I still have the edging to finishing knitting and sew on and the whole thing needs ends trimming off etc, but it is good enough to snuggle under while watching TV if we have any more cold evenings this spring.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't it so satisfying to get that last big square in and be able to start snuggling with them?

My purse developed a massive hole last month, so a 50p ball of multi coloured, spring time green wool at our local charity shop has saved the day. I really like knocking up a nice solid purse.

Then totally forgot about Mothering Sunday ....until yesterday. Big panic solved by going creative. I should do it more often.

Maybe it's spring time, inspiring us......

[ 25. March 2017, 11:31: Message edited by: Ethne Alba ]

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm getting more into craft, and have started not just following patterns but experimenting as well. Would quite like to start blogging about it, mainly so I can see what I've done, but maybe to be in contact with other crafty people. Any recommendations of where to blog etc?

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have you been over to Ravelry.com? The premiere place for this sort of thing.

--------------------

Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And todays activity....ironing autumn leaves.
I want to punch/cut shapes out of them for cards, but first they need to be flattened, dried and the colour fixed so they don't go brown. I have googled this, and am not confident what will work best. So if anyone has any helpful hints, I would love to hear them!

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have discovered "acrylic pours", a type of painting with acrylics that involves paint, some water, pouring medium such as Liquitex Pouring Medium which is VERY expensive (alternatives do exist, thankfully), and usually silicone oil or silicone spray, stretched canvas or old record albums, and sometimes a butane torch. I am deathly afraid of fire, so I have not used the torch but I will be using silicone oil when it arrives from amazon.com this week.

Most ly, the point of acrylic poured paintings is to get "cells" to develop by using silicone and making those cells more robust by heating the paint on the canvas with the butane torch or a hair dryer. I have no examples of my own to show off this fantastic art form but anyone can do a search on Google or, better yet, check out the hundreds of poured painting videos on YouTube. It can get rather expensive because a lot of acrylic paint ends up getting dumped off the canvas...I'm working on ways to use the big puddles of swirled paint...this technique can produce amazingly beautiful art. Unfortunately, I have only been able to bring forth one small beauty but I will persevere. [Big Grin]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

Gosh, that looks fantabulous (in Google images). I immediately think book covers, which I am currently working on. Some of those would make wonderful images for SF novels.

I began to knit a sweater for my grandson, because he is outgrowing the previous one (which had his name on it). This one has a sailboat, front and back, executed in intarsia. Unfortunately in the excitement of getting to the end of the image I forgot to allow for the armholes, and now will have to steek the knitted fabric if the kid is to wear it.

[ 15. May 2017, 13:50: Message edited by: Brenda Clough ]

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've finished the cross stitch badger I started last year, and I've started surrounding him with blackwork patterns in dark green, getting lighter as they get further away, to give the impression of him standing in a tunnel of leaves.
The black work is going much faster than the cross stitch did!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Banner Lady:
And todays activity....ironing autumn leaves.
I want to punch/cut shapes out of them for cards, but first they need to be flattened, dried and the colour fixed so they don't go brown. I have googled this, and am not confident what will work best. So if anyone has any helpful hints, I would love to hear them!

When I was teaching we used to iron autumn leaves between two layers of waxed paper - the kind that used to be used for wrapping school. I have no idea if it still exists or if the leaves kept their colour, but it did make them easier to handle. I did wonder about laminating them, but the laminator I use says only paper products should be used,

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At work, we laminated leaves for a window display and it worked quite well.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

A few years ago, I saw a beautiful mobile made of autumn leaves. They had been laminated, and the laminated leaves had been cut so as to leave a border all around. Holes had been punched in the clear borders so that the leaves could be strung together.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(whoops, cross-posted.)

St. Gwladys--

When I was a kid, we did crafts like that, but using wax paper. Two pieces the same size, or one folded over, wax to the inside. Put in leaves, etc., and maybe some crayon shavings. Close it over, then *carefully* iron it, preferably using a pressing cloth or hanky. Give the creation plenty of time to cool--especially if you use crayon shavings, because they will melt.

IIRC, this was a nice way to make bookmarks.

[ 17. August 2017, 10:49: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I surfed into the site Make And Do Crew, and found something offbeat and intriguing:

"How to Crochet Boots With Flip Flops – Free Pattern + Video"

These were evidently designed by the site owner, and she has several kinds. Basically, you take te straps off a pair of flip-flops; poke holes along the edges; and crochet sort of a tube (for the leg of the boot) right onto the sole!

If making a pair to wear outside, I think I might use the really thick kind of flip-flop--both for stability, and to keep the leg of the boot a little further from puddles, snow, and dirt.

Have any of you made something like this? How did it go?

Thx.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm embarking on a soap making spree - for fundraising [Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

There is an entire line of clear-plastic boots (think rain boots) so that your hand-knit socks can be properly but safely displayed. I'm told they're rather hot to wear, however.

Someone gave me a massive cone of cotton denim yarn, and I'm knitting a simple cable cardigan. There's tons of this yarn; I could go on for a long time but the fiber itself is rather heavy. Do I really need a calf-length coat that weighs as much as a large child? Perhaps I should have selected a lace pattern instead?

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I'm embarking on a soap making spree - for fundraising [Smile]

For Guide Dogs?

The local supermarket has a plastic guide dog shaped collection statue. I always slip a few coins in when I walk past, I think of it as "Boogie's long-distance fundraising."

I've adopted an idea that Brenda mentioned (either on this thread or elsewhere) for cardmaking. I send my brother with Parkinson's, G a card every week, and have run out of the small calendar picture I was using. When I was home last weekend my youngest brother K, took me to a second hand bookshop. When I picked up a book about cars for G, K commented that it was heavy and that G would have difficulty turning the pages. I was about to put it down when I thought about its potential for card making - over 300 pictures for $12! Also the print is arranged so that I can add small, descriptive paragraphs about the photos.

I hope whoever invented photocopiers made a mint.

Copyright? Sshhh [Angel]

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I have been busy. Some small projects like several Odessa hats. After the success of my 16 large differently patterned for squares, I rather unwisely decided to make a rug for new DIL. The arthritis in my hands has been bad, lots of new little bony bumps on previously free fingers. I am using the pattern, such as it is, for ten stitch blanket.. It is repetitive, just round and around the circumference with a narrow strip joined to previous work by knitting two stitches together. I am using Cleckheaton California which is 8 ply and more like roving than yarn. It will be warm but will be a very belated birthday present when finally finished. I am refusing to allow myself to start anything else.

My original rug of different squares has been very good to use. Worsted weight, so thick and cosy. I don't often make stuff for myself, but am glad I kept this and did not give it away.

[ 18. August 2017, 22:21: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Some years ago I stitched a large needle point of Tutankhamum for my middle brother. It was meant for his 20th birthday, but he received it on his 25th [Hot and Hormonal] he said it was worth waiting for, I'm sure you daughter in law will feel the same way about her rug.

Huia

[ 19. August 2017, 06:13: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Thanks Huia for the encouragement. Fingers were baqd last nigh and woke me. I could pick out the pin in various separate joints. I forgot to rub anti-inflammatory cream in before getting into bed. Won't make that mistake again I hope.

My mother, not a handcraft type person at all, started a jumper for me of many very narrow stripes. My birthday came and went and no jumper. One grandmother finally finished it for my sister's sixth birthday. She is second child behind me. I think it was something like ten or twelve years in the making.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Soap made (lemon) - it looks and smells good enough to eat!

See my ‘Room’ blog.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016