homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » On the Back Burner: Recipes 2017 (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: On the Back Burner: Recipes 2017
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It always amuses me that the salts from different geaological deposits are assumed to not be sea salt, when the formation of the stuff demands a sea for it to be formed in, since the sodium and chloride ions are not from the same sources and have to meet each other after erosion. Thus mined salt from Cheshire is from the Zechstein Sea, and the Alpine and Himalayan salts from the Tethys Ocean. Probably a lot purer than Maldon and even Anglesey though.
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
Doesn't the salt clump in humid weather?

I find that our salt-pig, which is a sort of ship's-funnel shape rather like
this, works fairly well at keeping the salt dry - I suppose it must be something to do with the opening being on the side rather than the top.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On a recent visit to Younger Son & DiL I pinched some recipes from a cookbook she has just bought. Yesterday we sampled Kuku Sabzi, and it has gone straight to the top of our favourites list.
It caught my eye because one of the main ingredients is Swiss chard, and we are trying to eat our way through a late glut of tender leaves from last years chard crop before this years is ready for picking, and also so that I can clear the bed for something else.

Anyway, Kuku Sabzi is a Persian dish, a bit like a herby frittata, but with less egg and more filling.
This one had 1 large leek, sliced and cooked in olive oil, about 500g chard shredded, washed & well drained. and 80g+ of mixed soft green herbs (I used dill, tarragon, parsley & chervil), chopped. All mixed together with enough eggs just to bind the greens together, seasoned and cooked just like a frittata.
Served with toasted flatbreads and a tomato & cucumber salad.

Looking online I see that many recipes use just herbs and no other greens, and many add barberries, turmeric, and walnuts, but we were very happy using what grows in the garden

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have made soup today. I sat there staring at the just shucked peapods, and thought that I had heard of them being of use. Tracked down a recipe in a wartime haybox recipe book, and with my slow cooker, some turkey stock, some whey and the peas and mint made a passable soup. The pods get disposed of after initial cooking in the stock. I added pureeing the peas after they were cooked as they kept escaping the blender while in the liquid. It tastes quite good. Unfortunately no-one else to taste it yet. I omitted the milk, but did thicken with flour.
My taster is now ready to try.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Taster 2 liked it and had more than the sample. Taster 1 said they didn't like it, it was a waste of effort, and then said they had to be honest, it was vile.
Taster 2 disagreed.
I drank a mugful, and think it probably needed something extra but I am not sure what. Curiously none of the ingredients I used was salt or had been salted, but there was something salty about it. Probably wasn't the best use of my husbanded turkey stock.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thickening soup with flour????

Fortunately I was sitting down when I read that. If you're going to thicken, then cook a potato in the soup and purée that. Excellent at thickening, and tastes good.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Wartime recipe. And our family rabbit stew recipe is flour thickened, so it didn't seem odd to me. But I think some potato might be a good idea to add to the rest.
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My stand-by additive to add that Little Something is a shake of Worcestershire Sauce. This only applies to savoury dishes - I don't think it works with things like trifle!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You need Umami: either as a paste (find it in supermarkets) or naturally occurring, so for your soup I'd say look at tomato puree or mushrooms.

Simple fix for all things savoury in this household is a shake of soy sauce: for marinades try adding a dash of angostura bitters, which also work well with sweet things. And never make a syrup for fruit salad, instead puree a handful of raspberries with a little Dubonnet, strain and use that instead.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:

Absolutely core to potage paysanne imo: the little roux with the bacon fat and stock at the beginning is transformative.

Also, in the more refined embodiment of buerre manie it's rescued many a sauce.

[ 14. July 2017, 09:47: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I had been thinking along the Worcestershire sauce line, also, tomato, but had forgotten mushroom, of which I have some ketchup.
When I get it out of the freezer for private use I'll have a go with those.
I think Taster 1 might have responded better if I'd used some green colouring. The turkey overwhelmed the pea colour.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:

Absolutely core to potage paysanne imo: the little roux with the bacon fat and stock at the beginning is transformative.

Also, in the more refined embodiment of buerre manie it's rescued many a sauce.

Beurre manié in a sauce yes, but not a soup. In the potage, it's a tiny amount of flour cooked at the beginning to add its flavour. Very different to the addition to which Penny S refers.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meh. Freshly picked nits. Flour is a thickening agent. if you have something that needs thickening and that's what you have to hand.... Improvisation is the soul of cookery.

Plus my grannie used to do it, so it is therefore clearly Right.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
... I don't think [Worcestershire sauce] works with things like trifle!

Please tell me this isn't the voice of experience ... [Eek!]

I've never used flour to thicken soup (my soups tend to be quite thick enough of their own accord, usually by virtue of a handful or two of pulses of some sort); if they're not, I'd probably just add another potato. I use buerre manié to thicken the sauce in casseroles - or, if time is short, a slurry of cornflour mixed with a little wine or water.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Out here in the Cape we have maizena, cornflour, and I use that although it can flatten the taste if used with delicate flavours (parsnip soup). I find that if I dust chunks of beef or lamb in seasoned flour before browning, that helps to thicken the sauce or stock.

My standby for flavour oomph is a little sweet smoked paprika, not of course for trifle.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only time I use flour is to make a roux for gumbo. (Mmmm...gumbo!) Most of my soups are made with broth from chicken or turkey carcasses, and seem to be pretty thick after throwing in all the other stuff I can find in the fridge.

Soup is the bomb! It was my secret weapon to get young Daughter-Unit to eat vegetables, since she loved soup. She had no idea that gumbo (her favorite) was full of okra, peppers and onions!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
...[soup] was my secret weapon to get young Daughter-Unit to eat vegetables ...

D. reckons the mark of a good restaurant is to make soup that he likes from vegetables that he doesn't. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Barnabas Aus
Shipmate
# 15869

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas Aus   Email Barnabas Aus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As promised in All Saints, herewith the recipe for slow cooker orange and brandy marmalade. Still trialling the mandarin recipe, so will report back later

Ingredients

3 large lemons, quartered
6 large oranges quartered
1 1/2 kg of caster sugar
1/4 pint of Brandy

Instructions

Take the quartered lemons and oranges and quarter them.In 3 batches use the grater attachment on a food processor to blitz the fruit up.
Add all the blitzed fruit into the slow cooker and add the caster sugar.Give it a real good stir.
Put the slow cooker on high for 6 hours, giving it a stir every 2 hours making sure get all the sugar off the bottom off the pot.It should be quite thick, and a very dark orangey brown colour.
Switch off the slow cooker and take the pot out of the base.
Place 8 small to medium sized clean jars in the oven on 150°c/Gas 2 for 20 minutes.
Stir the Brandy into the marmalade.
Take the jars carefully out of the oven using oven gloves and place them on a baking tray.
Take a funnel and using a ladle decant the marmalade into the jars.I reused jars I’ve been keeping for preserves.Screw the tops on after half an or so once the jars have cooled down.The orange and Brandy marmalade sets on cooling.
Keep stored in a dark cupboard and eat within 3 years, but I don’t think you’ll leave it that long.Once open, keep in the fridge and use within 6 months.

Posts: 375 | From: Hunter Valley NSW | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you BA, it looks very achievable. I can even use our own lemons [Yipee]

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The local big-brand convenience store sells off speckled bananas at 4p each, and as i like a banana sliced into my porridge in the morning we stock up whenever they put them out. I also turn them into a variety of quick desserts, or an easy chocolate/banana cake.
This week mr Lil and I went in separately and both brought home a bagful, so now i have a banana glut as well as the usual courgette glut.
Time to try a courgette & banana cake recipe or two! [Razz]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I fished out some readymade ready-rolled shortcrust pastry from my freezer to convert leftover mince into a pie, only to find that some of it has dried into curls.
Before I throw it out for the birds, has anyone any idea of how I could use it for human consumption? It occurred to me that it is not unlike pasta, and could be used for a version of macaroni cheese or similar.

wild haggis
Shipmate
# 15555

- Posted      Profile for wild haggis         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't know if you can do anything with pastry gone into curls. Why not try coating it with grated cheese to make cheese straws?

But sounds as if it has been watching "Frozen" for too long.

I had a glut of courgettes a few years back and a neighbour gave me a recipe for a wonderful courgette chocolate cake.

I loved it and so did others.
Not my husband though - but then I think he just thought courgettes and cake didn't mix.

--------------------
wild haggis

Posts: 166 | From: Cardiff | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

I do have a tried & tested Courgette & Chocolate cake, but the recipe ! found for courgette & banana cake gives a superior result. It will certainly be my go-to recipe whenever the supermarket's glut of over-ripe bananas coincides with my courgette glut.

the only problem with courgette cakes (and any using fresh veg or frui) is that the glut often comes during humid weather, and these cakes do not keep long in those conditions.
Luckily, we had several visitors in the next day or so after I made the courgette & banana. [Razz] [Razz]

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Do courgettes in cake serve the same purposes as carrots?

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

1, To get rid of gluts.
2. To add moisture to the mix.

But not.
3. To add sweetness.

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

I am stuffing my courgette/marrow with last week's pork mince with apple, augmented with breadcrumbs. Not sure what to do with the excavated flesh, though.
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

Correction, with chicken, and the pulp will be mixed with tomato soup. There wasn't enough pork. And not tonight as I can't stand up for long enough.

[ 07. August 2017, 17:21: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

Have acquired myself a small chest freezer, so Mr RoS has had to budge up in the garage and let me have a little more room. Two kilos of a courgette/onion/tomato stew are now freezing down, and I am compiling a list of dishes that can be made with that mix as a component part - suitably augmented with differing herbs, spices and other aromatic flavourings.
Courgette supply has slowed down, thanks to s few dull days and a nasty salty, blustery wind, but there is a chocolate courgette cake in the fridge, which we have been eating on alternate days as a dessert - I cut us a slice each, give it a turn in the microwave and top with chocolate custard [Razz] I have bough half-a-dozen 4p bananas today, so will have another go at the courgette/banana cake

Mr RoS has been helping an old lady in her garden today, and has come home with a bagful of plums, and another of windfall apples. I got that freezer just in time!

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

The courgearrow will be doing two meals, being that big. The stuffing was very smooth - I hadn't needed to put breadcrumbs to bulk it out, but I think it could have done with the texture. The stick blender, which has difficulty with small quantities of veggies, just loved reducing leftover casserole to pate, almost instantly. Chicken, carrot, assorted veggies and other things, plus fresh parsley for flavour.
(My guest does not know that she has eaten peas AND lentils on the same day as having baked beans for lunch. She does not like too many pulses for fear of dire consequences in her bowels*. Or celery, or onions, or wholemeal bread. But wants a loosening medicine.)
Today it was served with carrot, swede and potato mash. Not sure what tomorrow. Butternut squash might make it a bit heavy on the squash family.

*Usually, given the quantities she eats, there would probably be enough roughage to induce looseness in a dormouse.

[ 09. August 2017, 20:08: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

Another panful of the courgette/onion/tomato stew made this morning. I used some later, mixed with cooked leeks, herbs & garlic and topped with cheesy wholemeal crumbs as a veggie 'bake' for dinner with home-grown yellow wax-pod beans.

Yesterday's halved, stoned and open-frozen plums were bagged up and the rest cut up and put on trays for their turn to open-freeze.
I'm wondering what type of plum they are -n they are the size and colour of damsons, but do not taste like damsons. Maybe a bullace? The bullace we had in our old garden were a green variety, and didn't ripen until about October.
I also made a small batch of a piccalilli style chard-stem pickle.

This was longest I've spent in the kitchen since we moved house (admittedly I brought several years worth of preserves with me, including chutney made in 2013, and jam dating back to 2010).
Maybe my cooking mojo is returning?

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds as if the chest freezer has inspired you, Roseofsharon! I like vegetable gratins as a side dish and make them most weeks with leeks, bulb fennel or a courgette mix. I sometimes grate Parmesan with a light sprinkling of bread crumbs or Panko on top.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

What do I do with a ridge cucumber when the person I am feeding doesn't do salad? And is off fish at the moment, so tuna (definitely barred) and tinned salmon sandwiches are out.
And I have more courgettes...

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
What do I do with a ridge cucumber

"It has been a common saying of physicians in England, that a cucumber should be well sliced, and dressed with pepper and vinegar, and then thrown out, as good for nothing."

Sam. Johnson

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
What do I do with a ridge cucumber..

only one?
We have had several, and would have had more, if I had remembered that everything dries out so quickly here and watered them. Luckily Mr RoS eats salad almost every day. and I love cucumber sandwiches so using up what cucumbers we did get was no problem. Had there been a glut of them then I would have made bread & butter pickle with the surplus.
You'll just have to feed your guest with what she will eat, and keep the cucumber all to yourself.

--------------------

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our neighbor has been supplying us with veggies from her dad's garden (she doesn't like them but feels compelled to take them)...we wound up with an over-supply of zucchini, so I made blueberry zucchini bread -- simply spiced, with vanilla and a little cinnamon -- then made slightly spicier zucchini walnut muffins. The latter had no fat in them other than a half cup of Greek yogurt, but came out with the perfect texture. ( I spent half of them back to the neighbor.) I still have about a cup of shredded zucchini left that might get mixed with shredded carrot and turned into fritters.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

Mr RoS brought home another abundance of little purple plums, cooking apples, eating apples and pears yesterday evening, so today has been spent preparing them for the freezer.
The plums had to be washed as some were a bit squishy, and there were bits of grass & twig amongst them. They are drying on trays, and those that are still OK in the morning will be halved, stoned & open-frozen,
Today I have put 2kg cooked apple, 2kg diced poached pears (ready to make chocolate ginger pear crumble come the winter) and 1kg pears in red wine into the freezer - Oh, and yesterday I had frozen another kg of the courgette.onion/tomato stew and one of a sweetpepper & onion mix.
Should have bought a bigger freezer!!

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

The cucumbers have not been as enthusiastic as the courgettes - they are not growing under the beans, which may be related to this - and are miserable wispy things - one fruit per plant, I think. I am growing them on a slanting frame of plastic trellis, as shown by Alan Titchmarsh in a magazine, but they aren't happy.
I have a Savoy cabbage, or did when I last looked - but a guest was enthusing today about a cloud of butterflies. The cabbage is under netting, but even so....

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

I lost the two outdoor cucumbers I intended to grow - maybe to slugs - but two 'spares' I bunged into a container already home to a flourishing tarragon plant have done quite well - they are even managing to continue producing after I all but killed them by forgetting to water them. They've given us enough for salads for two - although not anything like enough to make Bread & Butter pickle. Maybe next year?

I noticed quite a few Cabbage Whites fluttering around my garden today. I've tried growing Romanesco cauliflowers this year, but they are very tall and the netting is touching the topmost leaves, so are very accessible to the passing butterfly population. I expect they will be like green doilies in a short while. I love Romanesco, but its not in any of the shops around here.

--------------------

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it possible for two adults to polish off three pounds of mushrooms in three week Why, yes...yes it is.

Earlier this month we visited Ludington, MLi on the Lake Michigan shore.
It's a great foodie destination for many reasons, but our food discovery this time was a mushroom farm, in a nearby village, that specializes in gourmet species like shiitake, trumpet and pioppini.It turns out that this facility has a market on premises each Friday where people can buy mushrooms directly at a significant discount. So we scored two pounds of royal trumpets and a pound of pioppinis. We have enjoyed these ' shrooms in omelets,with roasts...so good.

It was also really interesting to get a look inside one of the growing buildings. The mushrooms are grown in in sealed, glassed- in rooms under special lighting. They're grown in sawdust. It was like a science fiction film, except that we didn't wind up similarly sealed in a sterile room under glass...and we came home with a big sack of mushrooms.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone have a favorite recipe for sangria? This is the perfect time of year to get gently sloshed on adult fruit drinks. [Cool]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

It's peach season here so I have pea he's on the mind...here is a,reasonable facsimile of a sangria we enjoyed at a,restaurant in Ludington, overlooking Lake Michigan:Sliced peaches -- white if you can get them; a bottle of Moscato, other white sparkling wine or even Riesling; 1 liter peach flavored sparkling water; 1/4 cup peach or apricot brandy.

For
PS There is a restaurant near the University of Michigan that is notorious for its high- octane sangria,gallons of which are sold on football weekends. At first glance it seems like the standard red wine and citrus-fruit recipe. But I found out that its secret ingredient is a generous glug of ultra- cheap fortified wine like those beloved of Skid Row dwellers (Mad Dog 20/20 and the like, for American Shippies.)

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks! I'll check out the local peaches. I love sangria with an extra punch. I think I remember having some with a splash of port wine of all things. It sounds like it would be nasty but it was actually quite good.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Because you're serving the sangria on ice, or chilled, you can get away with quite a lot. Making it sweeter and more alcoholic is a good move, because the ice will dilute it.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Copied from "A little piece of me" because it looks really good:
quote:
Originally posted by Aravis:
My perfect apple crumble recipe:
Peel two Bramley apples and cut into small chunks, but don't precook it. Place in baking dish. Add a little soft dark brown sugar (1tsp is probably enough) and a little water. Sprinkle sultanas or raisins over the apple.
For the topping: approx 4oz plain flour, 2.5 - 3oz butter, 2 oz Demerara sugar, 1oz jumbo oats (if you can't get these, dry porridge oats will do), pinch of cinnamon. Spread evenly over the apples, bake for 30 mins at 190 degrees C.

This works better than standard recipes because:
- the apple isn't too sweet but has a toffee flavour. The more solid apple and the sultanas mean it's fruit, not just mush.
- the oats and Demerara make the topping crunchy and chewy

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

That brings back happy memories of my childhood and our Duchess of Oldenburg apple tree -- not only home of my tree swing, but source of countless bushels of early apples...not crispy, just fair as a fresh eating apple, but the best apple for pies, crumbles and applesauce. Heirloom apples are making a comeback, but I've yet to see Duchesses at farmers' markets.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

Stuffed chard last night: Blanched chard leaves around a mixture of rice, ground turkey, onion, garlic, parsley, Greek seasoning mix and lemon juice, with a couple of eggs to bind it all together. I baked them in a sauce loosely based on Jeff Smith's Greek tomato sauce recipe -- tomatoes, red wine, garlic, onion, oregano, big pinch of cinnamon and little pinch of allspice. I baked the rolls for about a half-,hour. They'd be good with ground lamb, or veg style with pine nuts.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

LutheranChik, that recipe is just what I needed to find this morning. For years I have made stuffed grape leaves each spring (I'm down at the tip of Africa in the southern hemisphere) and this year the drought has toughened up the vine leaves.

What I do is what my Lebanese friends call Mehshi Silq bil-Zeyt or Mehshi selek, only using destalked chard, rice, parsley, a little mint, garlic, pine nuts and finely chopped tomato with some cinnamon or ground coriander, no beef mince or ground beef or turkey as you'd call it. Delicious dish to eat for an alfresco lunch in the spring sunshine with olives and goats-milk cheese.

--------------------

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a pretty dab hand in the kitchen, but I'm having a problem. I've taken a few runs at Thomas Keller's ratatouille (made famous in the animated film Ratatouille), and it has turned out well, except that the colours are not so vibrant as in the photos I've seen. The flavour is great, but the colours are a bit faded.

Second: I find that the flavours are better the second day. I put in about two hours of labour for what becomes the filling for a pan beignat.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

I'm not sure there is a way to cook eggplant to a desirable doneness/ texture without the skin turning a bit muddy. (My own quick and dirty ratatouille is done on the stovetop -- I saute the veggies until they're just losing rawness, then add the tomatoes, cover and simmer/steam until tender. And they do taste better the next day. ( I've even drained them and put them on pizza.)

Inspired by Pinterest, I attempted a town, ratatouille's ambitious cousin, where you add potatoes and arrange them upright in a dish in what's supposed to be a rainbow spiral of deliciousness. This is easier said than done; and at dinner my trying- to-be-supportive spouse murmured about how much work it must have been...but it was just a hot mess, LOL

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I once knew a man who published cookbooks. He told me the ingredients in photos in such books are usually raw to preserve vibrant colours. Perhaps something like that happened in your case?

I told him he was deceptive and said someone trying something new would wonder why their food did not match the illustration. He was scathing in his reply but I was adamant it was equivalent to lies or false pretenses. Had never thought much of him and my opinion went lower.

[ 23. September 2017, 22:56: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016