homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Extravagant Living (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Extravagant Living
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like many I try and live a simple life for the most part with few if any extravert purchases. There have been a time or two when I just went for it and am glad I did. First was way back in the 60's when I spent what seemed a great sum at the time on a black cocktail dress. $300.00 it was. I think it was a great investment because Mr Image was dating me at the time and he still remembers that dress.

The second is a $50 bottle of apricot flavored vinegar that I buy once a year and use throughout the year. Add a bit to ice water on a hot day, lovely added when cooking roast pork, makes a to die for salad dressing, and the list goes on. Thankfully just a small amount goes a long way.
Shipmates what is your idea of extravert living?

[ 04. August 2017, 23:14: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could someone kindly do something about this thread's title? I've no idea what 'extravent' means, but 'extravert' is AIUI a form of 'extrovert'. I suspect the latter spelling is more common on this side of the pond!

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems to be a fusion of "extrovert" and "extravagant", probably about 35/65 in favour of the latter ...
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The trick is to have a "thing" that is inexpensive and readily available but precious to YOU that you can acquire and store.

Mine is face-cloths.
[For those in benighted cultures: a face-cloth is a 30X30 cm towel for washing one's face or one's whole body in shower or bath]

That way when a need "arises" (as we Buddhists say) to buy oneself something NEW ...I have an automatic go-to option that is easily obtainable, not expensive or luxury and will give me JOY to use.
It in no way compromises my "simple life" praxis

Perhaps I should confess at this point to a collection of 33 face-cloths in useable condition and 4 old ones that I keep for sentimental reasons.
I agree this is not minimalist but it is neither hoarding nor extravagent because I want to be able to choose colours and textures on-the-spot according to my mood and skin requirements.

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Galilit:
The trick is to have a "thing" that is inexpensive and readily available but precious to YOU that you can acquire and store.

There is a sandalwood scented bath soap that is imported from China by an outfit with the wonderful name of Prince of Peace Enterprises. It only costs 98˘ a bar and is carried by my local supermarket.

Every time I go shopping I pick up two bars whether I need more or not. Now I have a whole drawer full, which should last me a long time. Especially meaningful because I'll be moving to a new apartment in two weeks and the supermarket in question will no longer be convenient to me. I haven't seen this soap carried anywhere else.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The thread title says 'extravent'. The OP refers to 'extravert'. Which is it, please?

[Help]

(Just asking. I do see the possible connection between 'extrovert' and 'extravagant' - but O, my poor language! What have they done to you?)

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It should read extravagant as in lacking restraint. Help Help I can not change it.

[Hot and Hormonal]

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can also use it to scent your drawers. Just open one end of the package and stick the bar in the drawer. It is still usable as soap afterwards.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

@Graven Image - never mind!

I understand now, but my rigid Austerity Of Life precludes me from contributing...

(Perhaps a Kindly Host will come along soon to correct the title? Hint, hint...)

IJ

--------------------

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I bought a some "technical pants"** made of nylon, little bit of spandex with zippered "extravents" the knee going up about 5" and drawstrings at the ankles. They were $175 nearly 10 years ago. Still looking pretty good. They absolutely the best pants for outdoor activities where shorts (short pants) are too cool ~10°C

(**which means long pants, trousers is the 19th century word for this, slacks are probably something slackers wear; underwear are called underwear or gotch).

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
You can also use it to scent your drawers. Just open one end of the package and stick the bar in the drawer. It is still usable as soap afterwards.

Moo

In fact, take it right out of the packet and let the soap dry out and harden. Much better for use after it's done its job of scenting drawers.

[ 04. August 2017, 22:30: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
It should read extravagant as in lacking restraint. Help Help I can not change it.

[Hot and Hormonal]

Your friendly, neighborhood Heaven Host to the rescue! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just indulged in my main extravent today!

It's "back-to-school" sale at Walmart, so I bought 8, yes eight, spiral notebooks. Wide ruled in four different colors. I do this every year because I seem to have a sort of phobia about running out of writing material and my son shares this. What if we have a list to make or a poem to write or something to say that's too inane even for the ship?!!

Sale cost was 25cents so all eight totaled $2.00. Even so I had to sneak and buy it when my husband wasn't with me because -- such is the irony of marriage -- he has sort of a thing about wasting paper and would actually think I could put all that priceless information on the back of old envelopes. [Disappointed]

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As regular visitors to the British thread in AS will know, Retail Therapy is something I enjoy probably rather more than I should, although I do try to be a bargain-hunter.

However, there are one or two things I will splash out on: Lancôme self-tanning cream for my legs - I hate pasty-white legs with dresses or cropped trousers - and it dries quickly and lasts several days; and decent-quality nail-varnish, because I like it and it goes on more easily and lasts a little longer than cheap-and-nasty stuff.

[ 05. August 2017, 00:51: Message edited by: Piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So many brilliant ceramicists in South Africa. I save up to buy bowls by Katherine Glenday.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have realized that my extravagance is tools. Not a particular kind of tool, just tools.

I don't buy expensive tools, but I do seem to spend some considerable time convincing myself that I need this particular tool for a particular project I have in mind.

My list of pending projects is quite long. It got reset when I moved to the US, but has been merrily growing since. (The oldest job on the list is a pair of powered speakers that have been waiting to have some dead capacitors changed for the last decade.

The newest project is a set of shelves that'll be finished tomorrow - things do drop off the list, but not as fast as they get put on.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pocket knives, most of them Swiss Army.

One in every jacket I own.

Just in case!

One day a lot of people are going to look pretty foolish when someone's horse has a stone stuck in its shoe, and I'm the only one with the pocket-knife attachment to remove it.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MaryLouise:
So many brilliant ceramicists in South Africa. I save up to buy bowls by Katherine Glenday.

Lovely. Thank you.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Wow. Drop-dead gorgeous or what (the ceramics, I mean).

Having sourly remarked earlier about my Austere Life, I have to confess that I am somewhat extravagant (thank you for the correction, O Kindly Host!) when it comes to buying books...

[Help]

IJ

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Books are not an extravagance -- they're a necessity.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I have realized that my extravagance is tools....My list of pending projects is quite long. It got reset when I moved to the US...
Ow, that must have hurt. I last moved house 23 years ago, and even then the shed situation was out of control. I don't know what I'd do now - weigh it all in? Give it all to a dealer for Ł2.50? Spend the rest of my life listing dial gauges(*), obsolete BSW fasteners and obscure bike parts (the bits that don't go wrong) on ebay one-by-one?

* Don't need a dial gauge or ten, do you? My place of work don't use them any more, and when saner minds than mine spew them into the skip as a few more are discovered quaking in a dark forgotten corner, somehow they end up coming home with me. Some are even metric...

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
quote:
I have realized that my extravagance is tools....My list of pending projects is quite long. It got reset when I moved to the US...
Ow, that must have hurt. I last moved house 23 years ago, and even then the shed situation was out of control. I don't know what I'd do now - weigh it all in? Give it all to a dealer for Ł2.50? Spend the rest of my life listing dial gauges(*), obsolete BSW fasteners and obscure bike parts (the bits that don't go wrong) on ebay one-by-one?

* Don't need a dial gauge or ten, do you? My place of work don't use them any more, and when saner minds than mine spew them into the skip as a few more are discovered quaking in a dark forgotten corner, somehow they end up coming home with me. Some are even metric...

Dial gauges? Don't ever throw them out. My third digital vernier has just lost its little electronic mind, so its old mechanical grandfather saved me again. Next time I am in your area I may give you a call.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perfume was very much frowned upon as an extravagance when I was growing up. I love the stuff, but treat myself to 2 bottles a year so I can have a winter perfume, and a summer one.

Oh, and books, as previously mentioned. But they're second hand, so that doesn't count, right? [Hot and Hormonal]

Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Er...well... some of them are, but I have bought a couple of rather expensive new ones recently...

[Ultra confused]

IJ

--------------------

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a weakness for dried apricots. They come from California, and I discovered that those wicked and selfish Golden Staters keep all the good ones out there for themselves. The ones you see in supermarkets are third-rate rejects. So when I go out I try to hit a farm market and buy six packets, to take back and eat on the east coast.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love the L'Occitane Verveine range of bath and body products ... really out of range of my pocket for every day, but I occasionally treat myself to a bottle of the shower gel (the cheapest!) and use it very sparingly when I feel I deserve it.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

Jedi Judy fixed it.
quote:
Your friendly, neighborhood Heaven Host to the rescue!
Thank you. [Axe murder]
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good quality clothing is a must for me. I'd rather have one Lacoste shirt that lasts 25+ years than 5 cheaper versions that become manky within a short period of time.

There is an advantage to this: weight gain isn't an option unless I want to buy an entire new wardrobe.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I buy luxurious undershirts, and very many of them at a time, so that even if the laundry doesn't get done over the weekend, I will still have some clean undershirts to start the next week with*. (At which point I run down and start a load of "whites.")

*I was raised to always wear an undershirt under my shirt. To the extent that, in very hot weather, I still have a hard time convincing myself that it's okay -- I can go out without my white tee under my polo.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
I was raised to always wear an undershirt under my shirt.

[TANGENT]

As a member of the membership committee of our choral group, I have a hard time convincing the singers that an undershirt should be worn under their dress shirt. They complain that it's too hot on stage and so the fewer clothes the better.

The argument that an undershirt wicks away moisture and prevents the dress shirt from sticking to the chest falls on deaf ears. They appear not to care that the audience can see their chest hairs and nipples through the wet dress shirt.

Only a bumpkin would not wear an undershirt under a dress shirt.

[/TANGENT]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MaryLouise:

I buy ceramics, as well. You display some very good taste. Glenday's work is lovely.
Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Books. I patronise a local independent book dealer. He and the staff now know me by sight if not by name. Never a good sign. And now I'm in the throes of moving.

Suits. I don't own many, but they are very good, and I love the rituals associated with buying one. A well tailored suit just feels right.

Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
I bought a some "technical pants"** made of nylon, little bit of spandex with zippered "extravents" the knee going up about 5" and drawstrings at the ankles. They were $175 nearly 10 years ago. Still looking pretty good. They absolutely the best pants for outdoor activities where shorts (short pants) are too cool ~10°C

(**which means long pants, trousers is the 19th century word for this, slacks are probably something slackers wear; underwear are called underwear or gotch).

I cannot get used to the way you guys the wrong side of the pond call trousers "pants". It creates hilarious mental images. Sometimes. Other times horrible ones.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It pleases me no end to know that you get such fun out of it. Almost like when you folks speak of "fannies" and I have to pull my mind back from thinking of backsides.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
I cannot get used to the way you guys the wrong side of the pond call trousers "pants".

In India you would have to cope with half-pant and full-pant.

Here in Australia pants and trousers are simply synonyms.

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:
Pocket knives, most of them Swiss Army.

One in every jacket I own.

Just in case!

I try to do that with asthma inhalers! Well, one by my bed, one to put in my pocket (kept next to my wallet when I'm home), and one or more in various bags I take (as I keep my different activities - work, choir, shopping, misc - in different bags so I don't have to keep unloading and reloading things).

I guess my extravagance might be in my canvas tote bags, then.

My favorite is a black bag with the Great Lakes on it in white - but it glows in the dark! Not to imply the Great Lakes are radioactive or anything...

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:

I cannot get used to the way you guys the wrong side of the pond call trousers "pants". It creates hilarious mental images. Sometimes. Other times horrible ones.
1. I've not heard underpants referred to (only ever by young teenage boys in my experience) as "gotch" for 50 years or more. (term arises from a game of trying to depants other teeanage boys, calling "gotcha")

2. WHen I was growing up in the dark ages in Manitoba, "trousers" and "pants" were used interchangeably. (Underwear was called underpants). Trousers has just fallen out of use over the decades, though still understood everywhere.

"liar, liar, pants on fire" has rather a different and more immediate impact if pants are understood in the UK way.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
It pleases me no end to know that you get such fun out of it. Almost like when you folks speak of "fannies" and I have to pull my mind back from thinking of backsides.

Believe you me, that one can be pretty funny the other way around. Back when bum-bags were still a thing we used to snort into our cellar temperature hand pulled cask ale/tea* at mention of fanny packs...

*delete as appropriate

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am savouring my extravagant purchase of American cherries. In NZ cherries come into season around Christmas, and in the depths of winter it seems that summer will never arrive, so every winter I buy aboot 20 cherries (the last of the big spenders [Big Grin] ) eat the flesh and suck the pits. Today they were $18/kilo, but one year theyy crept up to $26 [Eek!] .

I thought about food miles, then I reasoned that I always walk or use public transport, and when I fly domestically ( maybe 2 -3 times a year, the flights only last an hour at most) while currently the bus takes 9* hours and the ferry over 3. So I trade off my light use of fossil fuels and splurge on a few cherries - seems fair to me!

* Highway one - the main route, was damaged by a huge quake in November - hence the extended time. Scheduled date for completion is before Christmas - fingers crossed.

Huia [Angel]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
wild haggis
Shipmate
# 15555

- Posted      Profile for wild haggis         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooooohhh! Where do I start!

L'Occitane skincare - can't normally afford it!Got some of the Divine range for my birthday, or was it Christmas? But for this Christmas........hint, hint.

Zsolnay Hungarian antique ceramics!Love them but the real ones cost the earth. Have a few pieces but would like more.............

Perfume, I too have a summer and winter one. Mind you the winter one is an M&S one, so probably doesn't count!

--------------------
wild haggis

Posts: 166 | From: Cardiff | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cheese.

Good cheese, tasty cheese, sod-the-cost cheese.

Cheap cheese is a waste of money but good cheese is a pure delight.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Owtch, Huia. That is expensive. Cherries in the grocery store here in the mid-Atlantic are now going at $3 a pound, quite reasonable. What are they doing, buying those fruits a first-class airplane seat?

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:

* Highway one - the main route, was damaged by a huge quake in November - hence the extended time. Scheduled date for completion is before Christmas - fingers crossed.

Huia [Angel]

*tangent* I had to reread this a few times to make sense of it since our (US)
Hwy 1 is also closed and will be for at least a year, leaving a small but lovely community (Big Sur) cut off from the rest of the world (there is a small trail of a couple of miles they can hike out). Ironically, our closure was not caused by one of the earthquakes so iconic to Calif., but by mudslides caused by the uncharacteristic rains we had last year.

*end tangent*

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Funny you should say that Cliffdweller as our Highway ! now also has mudslides after heavy rain. I do hope it gets fixed soon as I feel cut off from family at the moment. There are flights, but I like that road having walked portions of in in protest at the growing gap between the rich and poor here in 1998 ( which has grown even bigger since then).

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well i was going to say nothing...that i had no extravagances.

But there appears to be more bags than i thought in our home......and now i think about it, yes...it's bags. Felt bags, raffia bags, leather bags, cotton bags, string bags, carpet bags, old bags, new bags, zipped bags, tied bags, open bags, poppered bags.....

In fact, in old age all the extended family would need to do is surround me with bags + things to put in and take out of them. There. Sorted.

Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A bit of a tangent to save going over to the 'kids these days' thread, and in response to the above posts about pants;
Kiwi schoolgirl about 1956, looks up from the book she's reading and asks teacher, 'Miss G, what are knickers?'

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I feel you all aren’t trying hard enough here. How’s about some really obscenely expensive indulgence?

Is this the moment to admit a have a little, ahem… weakness for Michelin-starred restaurants?

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We subscribe to a monthly coffee delivery from s small- batch coffee roaster " up north." The coffee isn't any kind of varietal, just one of their smoother blends, but it's so food that to us it's worth the expense.

We also save up for quarterly mimi-,vacations...three days, usually...my Dear Spouse ruthless researches the discount lodging websites for rock- bottom roomd eals, and we plan our meals so that we can afford one spendy dinner. We've enjoyed a few of these adventures that were extravagant experiences but not pricewise..but to me all of them are a gift.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

I consider myself an expensive girl. (Although I am not as expensive as my sister, who is the most costly woman you shall ever meet unless you are brought alive before the throne of Ivanka Trump.) But it is the expensiveness of desire, not dollars. If it is what I want, I don't care if it costs a dime or a century note. A cheap phone does me perfectly well and I would not get the full value out of an $800 Iphone.
Which is working around to the costly indulgence of next week. My husband has never been to France. So we're going to go. Paris, to see museums and tour the catacombs and Pere Lachaise (because I love cemeteries). And then south. A bucket-list trip, before age sucks away mobility and we can't do this any more.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

I like to fly first class whenever I can, especially if I have enough points to do it for free or for a small surcharge.

Unfortunately, the service you get in first class these days is what you used to get in economy class.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016