homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The world ends 9/23--any plans? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The world ends 9/23--any plans?
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, it's that time again--another doomsday prediction is upon us. Again, it's at the hand of an unseen planet, and it's scheduled to happen 9/23. Anyone have plans yet?

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, September 23rd?
No, calendar's completely clear that day. Doomsday can go ahead.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Funny thing that. I've witnessed 6 total solar eclipses and I haven't noticed that the world ended after any of them!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wish it would wait until after my birthday. I have plans. [Smile]

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's all a pile of rubbish. The Shadow Planet Niburu isn't going to hit the Earth as it passes through the Solar System. We're all completely safe.

Any fool knows the Annunaki will use their SunShip to pull the Earth well out of the way before Niburu comes anywhere near us.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Salicional
Shipmate
# 16461

- Posted      Profile for Salicional   Email Salicional   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the plus side, I won't have to write my monthly article for the church newsletter.
Posts: 68 | From: near Lake Erie | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Star Trek: Discovery airs here on 24 Sept. Brand new series. I also have have a memorial service to attend that evening.

My questions:

1. Can the end of the world please be rescheduled for 26 Sept so I don't miss the memorial and watching the recording of Star Trek the next evening?

2. Has trumpy said if he thinks the end of the world is good for America or not or has he opted out?

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If only we hadn't all been distracted by "climate change" we would have realized the multiple hurricanes popping up are the result of an approaching planet!! It all makes sense now!

Still, it would be nice if they could postpone things until after the Doctor Who Christmas Special. It'd be a shame to miss that.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Damn!

Just when there may be the chance of a change in Government here - the world ends. Bloody typical.

Maybe I should cast my vote early in the General election.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No but I do have plans to go out to dinner and a movie on 9/24.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just started working on my sermon for the 24th - any chance said planet could hang on to see if looks like it's going to be a good sermon or not before obliterating us all? I'd hate to think I might actually be about to preach something decent (for once), only for that effort and anticipation to be wasted.

Of course, if the sermon's likely to be rubbish then go ahead...

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Might prevent the chaos caused by a 100k closed road cycle race partly in my city due on 24th, but it would be a shame to miss the 40th anniversary celebrations and the 100th birthday party I'm due at over that weekend.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, please don't tell trump, or we'll have to listen to him saying how he planned it personally, and it's the biggest end of the world ever and how they never had such a big crowd out for one before.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll have to remember not to wear my best clothes on Saturday, as they're going to be Left Behind, or Fall Out Of The Sky, according to the Post's video link (which appears to refer to The Rapture).

OTOH, maybe it's me that's going to be left behind...

[Paranoid]

Whatever. I've no particular plans for the day.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nooooooooooooo!
Stranger Things2 isn't till October 31...

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
It's all a pile of rubbish. The Shadow Planet Niburu isn't going to hit the Earth as it passes through the Solar System. We're all completely safe.

Any fool knows the Annunaki will use their SunShip to pull the Earth well out of the way before Niburu comes anywhere near us.

Ah--that's the latest from Ancient Alien theorists?

--------------------
Siegfried

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
Oh, please don't tell trump, or we'll have to listen to him saying how he planned it personally, and it's the biggest end of the world ever and how they never had such a big crowd out for one before.

Well I wouldn't be surprised if he and Kim Jong-un manage to achieve it between them

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
/pedant alert/

'..the bigliest end of the world ever...', surely?

[Help]

Mind you, the arrival of Nibiru would at least save the world from the continuing depredations of Cat-On-His-Head and Wrong-Trim.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Star Trek: Discovery airs here on 24 Sept. Brand new series. I also have have a memorial service to attend that evening.

My questions:

1. Can the end of the world please be rescheduled for 26 Sept so I don't miss the memorial and watching the recording of Star Trek the next evening?

2. Has trumpy said if he thinks the end of the world is good for America or not or has he opted out?

No, the 26th can't be a substitute. That's my sister's birthday and granddaughter''s is the 27th. Try again.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My credit card payment is due on the 22nd. Can't we move it up a little?

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just wish we knew for sure so I could go off my diet and buy a carton of cigarettes.
Baker
Shipmate
# 18458

- Posted      Profile for Baker   Email Baker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, so much for starting a diet. I'm going to eat all the bread and chocolate I want.

--------------------
Ad astra per aspera

Posts: 108 | From: Tottering-on-the-Brink | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In whose time zone? It will be 23 Sept in NZ and here many hours before NY, let alone LA and Hawaii. Perhaps it will be a rolling end.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Salicional:
On the plus side, I won't have to write my monthly article for the church newsletter.

In a thread of many funnies, I like this one the most.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Actually, the time zone question is a good point. If The End doesn't happen everywhere at once, which seems possible, do we get to watch part of it on TV or (more likely) YouTube?

And I'm just imagining the Evil Lord Of Shadows Wearing A Cat having his last Tweet cut off.... [Devil]

IJ

--------------------

wild haggis
Shipmate
# 15555

- Posted      Profile for wild haggis         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh no, we have a Quiz Evening. Don't want to miss that.

Do you think if I made the wee green men, who are going to end the world, some nice Welsh tea, Irish barm brack and a tot of single malt Scottish whiskey, they would delay for a bit?

--------------------
wild haggis

Posts: 166 | From: Cardiff | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

No, no - leave out the tea, and barm brack. Just offer them a guid single malt WHISKY (note correct spelling!), and let the peaty fumes take over...

IJ

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
And I'm just imagining the Evil Lord Of Shadows Wearing A Cat having his last Tweet cut off.... [Devil]

IJ

And thus the world ends, with a Tweet of "covfefe."

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Well, with Little-Hands at the UN (a nightmare scenario in itself) threatening North Korea with extinction, along with Venezuela, Iran, and just about everywhere else populated by Bad Hombres (aka Brown People), Nibiru will have to hurry up, or be out of a job.

My life expectancy, following brain surgery in 2016 (they found it, and left it more-or-less where it's supposed to be), is another 4 years or so. I'd feel a bit short-changed if The Orange Ozymandias and/or his mate Nibiru reduced that time span...

IJ

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Actually, the time zone question is a good point. If The End doesn't happen everywhere at once, which seems possible, do we get to watch part of it on TV or (more likely) YouTube?

As I understand it, the End just starts on the 23rd, but then we are to expect a couple weeks of Revelation-styled hijinks before the planet finally snuffs it. So there should be plenty of material to watch while attending your local Party At The End Of The World.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Felafool
Shipmate
# 270

- Posted      Profile for Felafool         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At least it will pre-empt Britain's disastrous 'Brexit' from the EU.

--------------------
I don't care if the glass is half full or half empty - I ordered a cheeseburger.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Indeed. Yet another thing not to have to worry about!

Yay for Nibiru!

[Yipee]

IJ

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We are having a fun day a Church on sept 23rd.

I have a pig race planned - racing big battery powered fluffy pigs and betting on the winnner.

So, yes - the world will end as ours is a Methodist Church! [Eek!]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am packing the truck on the 23rd, and moving on the 24th [Waterworks] All for nothing!

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am reminded of a poem/prayer I heard in high school:

Now I lay me down to rest
I pray the Lord I'll pass that test.
And if I die before I wake
That's one less test I have to take.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sep 24:

@realdonaldtrump: Loser planet Nibiru fails to hit Earth. Sad.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Sep 23rd:

@realnibiruplanet: Loser Trump destroyed in bigliest and most beautifullest world ending. Not sad.

IJ

--------------------

Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

2 days to go... Was it worth me having a service appointment for my car tomorrow?

--------------------
Siegfried

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Yes, because even if you yourself aren't Left Behind, it'll come in handy for someone who is...for a couple of weeks, anyhow.

[Two face]

IJ

--------------------

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, if it ends before 2 in the afternoon (BST) I won't have to sing Panis angelicus (again) at someone's wedding. Seems a bit rough on the couple who are getting married, though. I don't dislike singing Panis angelicus THAT much.

On a more positive note, I will have had a chance for a really good night's sleep beforehand as our lovely new bed is being delivered on the 22nd.

[ 21. September 2017, 16:12: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wild haggis:
... if I made the wee green men, who are going to end the world, some nice Welsh tea, Irish barm brack and a tot of single malt Scottish whiskey, they would delay for a bit?

Certainly not if you spelt it like that. [Devil]

I'm down to read the intercessions on Sunday 24th. As I always use the Prayer for the Church Militant (as is right and proper), if the world doesn't end, it'll be further proof that God prefers Cranmer's Matchless Prose™. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know what time on Saturday the world will be ending? Saturday morning, I plan on having the grandmother of all hangovers, so the end of the world wouldn't be ... y'know ... the end of the world.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you think the rest of us want to be catapulted into oblivion (or Rapture, depending on one's point of view) just to save you from a hangover???

Can't you just take a couple of Solpadeine™ and a big glass of water before you go to bed like a normal person?

[Devil]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:
Well, if it ends before 2 in the afternoon (BST) I won't have to sing Panis angelicus (again) at someone's wedding. S

And I will miss our bishop's retirement farewell bash at 3.30

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are enterprising people that you can hire to feed your pets in the event that you are Raptured. Of course by definition these persons are not believers.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It would save me from the trouble of moving house.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's now almost 8.15 am on 23 September here. As best I can tell, the world has not yet ended, there's been no major calamity. I haven't seen any post yet though from our NZ friends - perhaps the end has reached them and is making its way across the Tasman.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Still nothing here, GeeD. Now well into time for Saturday morning coffee rituals and all seems to be still proceeding smnoothly.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

Have you gone out and looked up into the sky? Any sign of anything that might be an approaching planet?

--------------------

ACK
Shipmate
# 16756

- Posted      Profile for ACK   Email ACK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mixed feelings. It's my mother's birthday tomorrow and, since she has yet to tell me what she wants, I have yet to get her a present.
On the negative side though, 18 yrs ago I was in the same situation, but got away with it by giving birth to her 1st grandson on her birthday. Which means, if the world was still around on the 24th, I would have raised a child to adulthood.

--------------------
'It's the only thing that worries me about going to Heaven. Would I ever get used to the height.' Norman Clegg

Posts: 56 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016