homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Choons

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Choons
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Music recommendations.

Listening to the tracks stopping track

Salve Regina - Arvo Part

as the result of YouTube segueing from Bernstein's Mass.

[ 27. September 2017, 11:49: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You might like to UTube the Ave Maria No 1 by Rihards Dubra. Pleasing on the ear and not too difficult - well within the compass of a competent parish church choir.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looking for a thread to post this, I thought I'd perform necromancy on this one.

A great documentary on Don McLean on BBC4 last night. Might be on i-player.

I'm too young to have been into him in 1971, and for some reason he didn't seem to feature amongst the 'older brother' hippie music my mates and I got into much later (an eclectic mix of Carole King, James Taylor, Joni, CSNY... and Led Zep).

This, set in its context as the program did, has set me crying. The recording engineer was still in tears 45 years later. It could be - is - a lament for today.

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where to start?

Currently got "Memory Lain, Hugh / Headloss" by Caravan on loop, this having replaced Tycho's album Dive, this having replaced the amazing Rewiring Genesis: A Tribute To The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway...

The Caravan track is the first one that's got me playing along on my guitar for a while.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also, re: thread title, Tunes.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tender by blur is going round my head, not least because of the Co-op inexplicably deciding to use a song about a traumatic break-up for their feel good Christmas advert...

Still a fantastic song IMNSHO, though.

[ 09. December 2017, 10:25: Message edited by: Stejjie ]

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always enjoy Cliched to be cynical at Christmas at this time of year.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Still hung up on the title. What is "choon"?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

An avuncular way of saying "Tune".

Also, Oppalarum by Lessov. Anyone who can work out the time signature going with that vibraphone-like riff gets an award from me - is it 11/8?

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eutychus, I love that!

It's just 4/4 time with a sixteenth note pickup, followed by a dotted eighth and a sixteenth on the beats, with two eighths and a quarter note on the last two beats at the end of the phrase.

If I'm not mistaken! [Biased]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

[Help]

I'd need to see that written down and even then I'm not sure I'd understand it. I'm hopeless at sight-reading.

If you like whacky time-signatures, terribly under-rated founding Genesis member Anthony Phillips is a master of them. This beautiful little piece, Fivers, is mostly in, well, you guessed it, but you'd never know. How it's ratcheted up less than 2,500 views on YouTube in 8 years I'll never know either.

[ 09. December 2017, 17:00: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eutychus wrote:

quote:
An avuncular way of saying "Tune".
Do you mean "vernacular"? "Avuncular" means "like an uncle", and is usually used to describe someone who is friendly and good-natured, with maybe a hint of authority about him.
Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sober Preacher's Kid

Presbymethegationalist
# 12699

- Posted      Profile for Sober Preacher's Kid   Email Sober Preacher's Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Vernacular is more appropriate. British accents often palatize "tyoo" as "Tuesday" to "Chewsday". This is almost never done in North America.

--------------------
NDP Federal Convention Ottawa 2018: A random assortment of Prots and Trots.

Posts: 7646 | From: Peterborough, Upper Canada | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May I offer Stab at Matter, Bruce Cockburn. Pretty good video as well.

[ 10. December 2017, 00:22: Message edited by: no prophet's flag is set so... ]

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am blissfully watching "A Cat's Attic: Yusuf/Cat Stevens" on a local PBS station.
[Yipee] [Yipee]

Cat's voice is still great, and he looks great. The stage is set up as an attic, holding his past.

Here's a brief preview video (KQED).

(BTW: if anyone is still put off by his anti-Rushdie (?) comments, from decades back, he never made them. I looked that up, years ago. IIRC, he was asked something, and he just said "well, the Koran says..." That's it.)

This show and music are really lovely. [Smile]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
wild haggis
Shipmate
# 15555

- Posted      Profile for wild haggis         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just been having our Advent at home: leubkuchan, coffee, candles in a darkened room and listening to Cope, Boyes and Simpson Christmas CDs.

English unaccompanied folk carols with brilliant harmonies. A real beginning to Christmas (started last week).

You can keep Kings College, Cambridge, give me folk carols any day.

--------------------
wild haggis

Posts: 166 | From: Cardiff | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cafe del Mar Jazz album, the first track, which starts with a mellotron sample from the Moody Blues Legend of a mind, is haunting.

Pacific Drift

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wild haggis:
Just been having our Advent at home: leubkuchan, coffee, candles in a darkened room and listening to Cope, Boyes and Simpson Christmas CDs.

English unaccompanied folk carols with brilliant harmonies. A real beginning to Christmas (started last week).

You can keep Kings College, Cambridge, give me folk carols any day.

Which reminds me - time for Maddy Prior and the Carnival Band's 'Carols and Capers' to be dug out!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016