homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Condo, Condo, Condo?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Condo, Condo, Condo?
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We are house hunting -- planning to move to a part of our state that we love. Our dream would be to have an old- skool, downsized cottage on a body of water or in the woods. Unfortunately, cottage- sized cottages are a rare commodity these days. And, frankly, neither of us is in physical shape to handle the kind of home maintenance we used to be able to do ourselves.

So...we have been thinking about buying a condo. We were resistant at first, because our younger son and his wife have been pushing us to get one...because we're not crazy about living so close to other people...and, frankly, for me it's elicited a sense of defeat and loss; never again will I have a vegetable garden or a yard buffered by trees. We also have not been impressed by some condos we've visited (Other Grandmother's comes to mind.) And we've heard stories about oppressive condo rules and outrageous fees.

But a year of apartment living has made us a bit more amenable to dwelling in close quarters. And we've recently been in a couple of condominiums that made us think, " You know...we could live in a place like this."

Any Shippies eith condominium experience? What advice would you give us as we house- hunt? What are the pros and cons of going this route instead of a traditional house? What has been your experience of having pets in a condo environment? Are you in an apartment style unit or a freestanding unit?

Thanks for any insighrs.

[ 28. September 2017, 14:01: Message edited by: LutheranChik ]

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lived in two condos -- several years in each.

1) an apt-like unit in a 10-unit older city building. Quite satisfactory. Owners' assoc. congenial. Assoc. rules not onerous. Would go back there.
2) suburban setting. Nice pool & party room. Large # of units -- two story townhouse style. Each building had 6 or 8 units. Each unit had a small front lawn and a somewhat larger patio/lawn in the rear. Management helpful and responsive to reported probs. Only moved from there because I got a better deal elsewhere. Would go back there.

The secret is in the management style, IMO.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just sold my condo -- a one bedroom unit in one-story courtyard rows of six units each in an over-55 community.

Pros:

o It's your place so you can do what you want with it (renovations, choice of appliances, decor, etc.)

o Somewhat larger than the average rental apartment.

o Condo association takes care of everything "walls out" -- roof, exterior, landscaping, etc.

o (At the risk of seeming smug) Somewhat better class of people than your average renter.

o Mortgage fairly stable -- monthly amount changes slightly from year to year depending on fluctuations in the property tax escrow.

o Mortgage payments are a great tax deduction.

Cons:

o Condo association dues keep going up each year.

o You're paying condo association dues for amenities you never use (pickleball court, new carpeting/drapes/paint in the community room, etc.)

o If something goes wrong, it's your responsibility (and expense) to fix it -- no simply calling the landlord. And trust me -- something *will* go wrong! In the 11 years I owned my condo, I had it painted and recarpeted, and replaced HVAC unit, washer/dryer, refrigerator, and hot water tank. I also replaced windows, door, toilet and bathtub, but because I wanted to, not because they had failed. Had I not sold it, I would have replaced the toilet again (this time because it needed it) and would have had it repainted again and either recarpeted or have tile flooring installed.

o If you want to move, you have to sell the unit first -- no simply waiting until the lease expires. No guarantee how quickly it will sell or what the market will bear.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What are some general condo association pet rules people have dealt with -- specifically dogs? I know they probably vary, but I'm interested on some of the issues that come up. One of my concerns is that our dog needs some enclosed space to burn off her energy -- simply going on walks on a leash doesn't do it for her. If we have to send her to doggie daycare a couple times a week, That's an added expense.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
o (At the risk of seeming smug) Somewhat better class of people than your average renter.

Smug? No, that's not what I would call it.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

What are some of the rules about outside plants you've encountered?

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Plants in pots on the porch allowed. Artificial plants allowed so long as they were not visible to passers-by. (Not enforced, though -- my plants on the porch were all artificial and clearly visible.)

Plants in the ground not allowed.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Amanda B. wrote:
quote:
o You're paying condo association dues for amenities you never use (pickleball court, new carpeting/drapes/paint in the community room, etc.)

Pickleball? Pickleball? Vo ist das Pickleball?

I am extremely prejudiced against apartment living. I just came here to dance to the catchy tune the title elicited in my head. [Yipee]

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Say what? [Eek!]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
BabyWombat
Shipmate
# 18552

- Posted      Profile for BabyWombat   Email BabyWombat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Condo for about 8 years after several years in rentals:
Pros: usually upscale and comfortable, larger than rental units, more security than rental units.
Cons: Condo fees kept going up, and ‘special assessments’ for such things as those on upper floor wanting faster elevator installed, replacing carpet in hallways, etc. At the mercy of those eager to/financially able to push through “improvements” you don’t think necessary or can’t afford. Also nasty fights at condo association re grilling in courtyard, loud music and open windows, laundry room use early morning, etc.

Now in smallish house in semi-rural town, have own flower and veg garden, yard to sit in, porch to dine on. Neighbors at some remove. Down side as we age is maintaining a house and yard, but we still find it far superior to our condo days and can better plan repairs as budget allows

--------------------
Let us, with a gladsome mind…..

Posts: 102 | From: US | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BabyWombat--

Your house sounds lovely, especially the garden!
[Smile]

I doubt I'd get on well with any kind of home-owners' association that was rather full of itself and its rules. I'd have the sense to put anything they'd find objectionable in the backyard (hopefully, fenced). As far as the front yard: if they told me not to put something there, I would be tempted to find a way around it--even if I didn't particularly want the thing.
[Biased]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:

Hostly sigh.

Please remember when posting anything in any language other than English to provide a translation for those who may not understand.

Thank you!
jedijudy
Heaven Host of half German heritage

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:

Tennis dumbed down for old folks.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
quote:

Say what? [Eek!]
To their credit, they did the landscaping very well in the community where my condo was. But you weren't allowed to alter or enhance it yourself.

--------------------

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

A friend of ours was able to do a landscaping project outside her condo -- brick pavers and some miniature shrubbery, a place to put a small table and chairs. On the other hand, our son and SiL live in a subdivision with draconian homeowner association rules about what and where tgey are allowed to plant anything. Other Grandmother,may have a nothing- in- the- ground rule, since I only ever see potted plants at her freestanding unit.

Again, my perfect house woukd be an honest to goodness cottage on a lake or river, with minimal landscaping necessary, but my spouse ha caught the condo bug, The one we visited rwcently was admittedly appealing -- on a river in a gently gentrifying bohemian neighborhood with a food coop within walking distance, professional offices close by and a hipster neighborhood of restaurants and .icrobreweries within blocks. I'm concerned about our dog and cat adapting to drastically restricted room to roam, since these are townhouse style, with no yards to speak of. And DS has difficulty with stairs. I'm lobbying for a modest independent dwelling, or at least a,freestanding condo unit that doesn't feel like an apartment.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[slight tangent]

Not about condos as such, but about fees and rules ...

Earlier this year we bought a mini/mobile on an estate, and while it's a very nice little house with all the things we wanted (three bedrooms, two bathrooms, appliances - you name it), because it's mobile*, we don't actually own the piece of ground on which it's built, and for the privilege of living on it, we have to pay quite a lot of $$$ every month to the (very nice) owner of the estate. This came as quite a shock to a Brit who expects ground rent to be about £10 a year.

I wouldn't mind so much if we got anything tangible in return, but unlike in a condo (where the fees seem to be considerably less) we have to cut our own grass (or pay someone $20 a pop to do it) and shovel our own snow. In fairness, when we got 2½ feet of snow the day before our stuff was to be moved in, the estate office sent someone to clear the driveway, and didn't charge us for it.

It's a nice, quiet place to live, with a view to die for across to the river, but the fee seems a bit excessive (and, unlike a mortgage, it'll never be paid off). We also had to sign our assent to a fairly long set of rules, and be approved before they'd let us buy the place.

* Technically, there's nothing to stop us moving it somewhere else, but I don't think that's going to happen ...

[/tangent OFF]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
quote:

Hostly sigh.

Please remember when posting anything in any language other than English to provide a translation for those who may not understand.

Thank you!
jedijudy
Heaven Host of half German heritage

The implication here is that I got the German right, rather than posting some incomprehensible private version of pidgin German. Wow. I'm definitely telling my wife. [Smile]

Thanks for reminding me of the rule Jedijudi!

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[tangent] I'm glad to be of assistance, simontoad! I do think Vo ist das should be Wo ist das, which I believe means where is this. But, the last generation of the family that actually spoke German was my Dad's grandmothers! So, I may be off somewhat! [/tangent over]

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LutheranChik, I'm a city gal and have lived in apartments/condos most of my life. Flowers can be grown on a patio or balcony, of course.

But if you enjoy a garden for growing your own food and herbs, perhaps there is a public garden with rental plots nearby.

The other concern you have--living close to nature and not very close to others.... I think it is very important to listen to the inner voice on things like this. I once found a great building in a terrific neighborhood and chose not to move in because there were no trees. My inner voice reminded me that, no matter how deep in the city I am, I love the sound of birds in the morning. So I'm living in a building with a tree outside my window.

good luck,

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
[tangent]...I do think Vo ist das should be Wo ist das, which I believe means where is this...[/tangent over]

Ja.
Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have lived in rented apts, owned condo, owned detached house. Re condos, to comments already made I would add

Cons:
1. Doesn't appreciate in value at the same rate as detached houses, may even lose value/equity. That's a biggie
2. Many condo units will be rented out so the "sort of people" who live there will vary. We lived downstairs from a unit I swear the owners must have advertised in marijuana monthly given the regular stream of drug busts in that one unit
3. Noisier than a detached house. You'll be disturbed by others and you'll be constrained in your own music/tv/partying
4. May have shared laundry facilities which may be inconvenient/ not available when you want them

Pros:
1. Community. It just promotes getting to know your neighbors more than detached houses
2. Safety-- as per above, knowing your neighbors means someone's watching out for you and your property. Someone to help out in an emergency. That's a biggie
3. Low maintenance. Since you're only responsible for "walls in" that makes traveling or being gone for longer periods of time much easier

We're about ready to downsize from our big family house so thinking thru these pros and cons ourselves

[ 03. October 2017, 15:21: Message edited by: cliffdweller ]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hooker's Trick

Admin Emeritus and Guardian of the Gin
# 89

- Posted      Profile for Hooker's Trick   Author's homepage   Email Hooker's Trick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Read the rules. Read the rules again. And read them again.

They can vary wildly so it's difficult to generalize (and they can generally be changed according to some process -- it's good to know and understand that process).

And there is no universal rule what is included in the fee, so you'll want to investigate what if any utilities, what if any maintenance, parking may or may not be included. Is there on-site management staff, or on-call staff?

For what it's worth, I'm a happy (apartment style) condo dweller and have been for 17 years, but a quick survey of my condo-dwelling friends & associates reveals there is a wide variety from condo to condo.

Posts: 6735 | From: Gin Lane | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

I'm so glad we dusted and vacuumed today...is there any lipstick on my teeth?

Hooker's Trick! Welcome to Heaven! [Big Grin]

Anyway, that's good advice for any new venture.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016