homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » OK God ..... why?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: OK God ..... why?
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why is sugar so pleasurable and yet and so bad for us humans in any decent quantity?

Answers on a postcard.

What are your lighthearted ‘why’ questions for God?

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Isn't it St. Augustine who said that all sins are fun except envy? So why isn't envy fun too?

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At least sugar I know the answer to. Until very very recently, sugar and all sweet foods were surpassingly rare. You got them if you ate perfectly ripe fruit, the one month of the year the fruit was ready, or you lucked onto a honeybee hive or something. We evolved to like sugar (it's better for you to eat ripe fruit than green or rotten), but never to have sugar by the carload for no effort, as when we drink sodas or eat cupcakes. And so our systems are flummoxed, when suddenly we overload them with sugary cereals and breakfast muffins that have more sugar than most cavemen ate in a week.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:
At least sugar I know the answer to. Until very very recently, sugar and all sweet foods were surpassingly rare. You got them if you ate perfectly ripe fruit, the one month of the year the fruit was ready, or you lucked onto a honeybee hive or something. We evolved to like sugar (it's better for you to eat ripe fruit than green or rotten), but never to have sugar by the carload for no effort, as when we drink sodas or eat cupcakes. And so our systems are flummoxed, when suddenly we overload them with sugary cereals and breakfast muffins that have more sugar than most cavemen ate in a week.

I’m not looking for excuses [Biased]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why is it that I can do amazing things sometimes, but still cannot get out of bed most days?

Can't I just be normal?

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
What are your lighthearted ‘why’ questions for God?

Why is is that when I'm looking for a hankie, I can never find one, but 2 minutes after an explosive sneeze, I can suddenly find 3?

Why is it that whenever I come to pull the blinds, whether up or down, the first one I pull always takes it in the wrong direction?

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
Why is it that whenever I come to pull the blinds, whether up or down, the first one I pull always takes it in the wrong direction?

This one is just the operation of the immutable law of statistics: in any 50-50 chance, you are bound to get it wrong.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why, if the traffic light is a "delayed green," is it always my side of the road that is delayed while the other side sallies through the intersection with impunity?

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

🎵🎶. We plough the fields and scatter
the good seed on the land,
but it is fed and watered
by God's almighty hand:
you send the snow in winter,
the warmth to swell the grain,
the breezes and the sunshine,
and soft refreshing rain. 🎶🎵

Yes, but why not send just the right amount of ‘soft refreshing rain’ on each field and garden - and send it at night? Simples.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, God, did you start going bald at the age of thirty?

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear God, why doesn't coffee make me lose weight?

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
Dear God, why doesn't coffee make me lose weight?

Dear God, why doesn't anything make me lose weight?

And why is there never anything to watch on 200 channels of tv?

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why does it always take me three goes to get a USB connectin in?

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear God, why did you create poison ivy?

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear God, what would chairs look like if our knees bent the other way?
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear God,

Why has it never occurred to you to schedule mornings for later in the day?

Sincerely,

Your Friend,
Hedgie

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
Dear God,

Why has it never occurred to you to schedule mornings for later in the day?

Sincerely,

Your Friend,
Hedgie

Or at least schedule sunrises later in the morning, when people can enjoy them?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:

Er ... isn't that called "winter"?
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear God: Did you ever think of starting us out old and becoming progressively younger?

[Tear]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why, when eating out, is the price of the meal inversely proportional to the size of the portions?
Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But directly related to the detail with which the individual ingredients of each dish are described? (At least we don't seem - yet - to have started describing the physical dishes themselves, "loving crafted out of the finest porcelain, painstakingly decorated by artists who have served the company for an average of 30 years, carefully fired in traditional bottle kilns fuelled by hand-hewn Welsh coal and delivered to our restaurant by a vintage carriage drawn by a pedigree Suffolk Punch").
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:

Er ... isn't that called "winter"?
God, why Winter? Can't we all have long days all year around?

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Why, if the traffic light is a "delayed green," is it always my side of the road that is delayed while the other side sallies through the intersection with impunity?

And exactly the same when you are returning, which I have always found odd.

The TrueReason™ is that traffic lights are in league with Cthulhu, that is the only way they could be so soul destroying.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
... why is there never anything to watch on 200 channels of tv?

You've got the BBC and Dave - stop complaining! [Devil]

Dear God, why does breakfast, which could be so enjoyable, have to happen in the morning?

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Work meetings. Why?

Work appraisals? Even more why? Did Jesus do 360 reviews with the Disciples?

[ 11. October 2017, 09:54: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kittyville
Shipmate
# 16106

- Posted      Profile for Kittyville     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And if I may add to that, Ian:

Dear God, why staff surveys? And why repeated gee ups to complete "voluntary" staff surveys in order to hit regional targets?

Posts: 291 | From: Sydney | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So why does my cat throw up a fur ball before she goes outside? (sigh).

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:

A reputable news source has reported it is because a carpet's hairball-locking microfibers are ideal, plus it is cushy on your paws.

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:

A reputable news source has reported it is because a carpet's hairball-locking microfibers are ideal, plus it is cushy on your paws.
[Killing me]
So true!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hedgehog - Thank you, that is the work of a genius - why hasn't she been awarded some prestigious award?

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear God why when I love to sing can I not carry a tune. I am so bad I was once kicked out of the junior choir. Nobody gets kicked out of junior choir.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:

The other day I was stopped at an intersection with a street* that had a wide median, so there were two separate lights, and room for one, maybe two cars sitting at the second light (i.e., in the part of the intersection where the median was in the other street). My light turned green just in time for me to get to the median as that light turned red. I sat through two different red lights at one intersection!

Obviously, it was timed for traffic headed the opposite way I was going. There must be some good reason the lights for the east-west traffic can't all change at the same time, but it probably can't be explained on a postcard.

*A service drive to a freeway, actually, with traffic merging, so the median is created by that merge. IOW, both lanes going the same direction!

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Traffic signal / hankie hybrid paradox:

Why is it that when I'm driving and need a red so that I can blow my nose, I hit every green light in town, but when I'm desperate to get to a bathroom, I hit every red light in town?

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

It's the same if you want to stop and look at your map or look for a street name on a wall (I don't do SatNav).
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
It's the same if you want to stop and look at your map or look for a street name on a wall (I don't do SatNav).

Or if your kid drops her teddy and is loudly demanding that you pick it up for her off of the floor of the car.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
Traffic signal / hankie hybrid paradox:

Why is it that when I'm driving and need a red so that I can blow my nose, I hit every green light in town, but when I'm desperate to get to a bathroom, I hit every red light in town?

My car has a little nook in the dashboard to the left of the steering wheel that is so random...I'm not sure what it's for. (Keep in mind, this is an American car, so the driver's on the left side.) But it perfectly fits one of those little tissue packs, and I have a trash container in the door not far below it. Between my regular allergies and a couple recent colds, I've gotten pretty good at blowing my nose one-handed while driving! (Not in any tricky traffic, of course.)

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, God, why... does this bloody cold keep coming back? I can go between feeling absolutely fine to hawking stuff up you could camouflage tanks with in the space of a couple of hours. I have stuff to do that I can't feeling like shite!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
Work meetings. Why?

I understand Judas was particularly uncomplimentary.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Bene Gesserit
Shipmate
# 14718

- Posted      Profile for Bene Gesserit   Email Bene Gesserit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kittyville:
And if I may add to that, Ian:

Dear God, why staff surveys? And why repeated gee ups to complete "voluntary" staff surveys in order to hit regional targets?

Ian Climacus and Kittyville, you have so hit those nails on the heads!!

--------------------
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus

Posts: 405 | From: Flatlands of the East | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Patdys:
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
Work meetings. Why?

I understand Judas was particularly uncomplimentary.
This report from the "Jordan Management Consultants" on the various Apostles has been around for a long time.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why am I being stalked by Paul Young, his mullet haircut, sensitive new age guy dance moves, and his song Everytime You Go Away. I have heard it 4 times this week in 4 different locations.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Try staying in the same place.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Dear God, why staff surveys? And why repeated gee-ups to complete "voluntary" staff surveys in order to hit regional targets?

Alright, and why do they have to be bunched together. Lets put it this way I think my morale may be rising too its normal level from where it got sunk after answering three of them in one week.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this a sign of your wrath on Sydney?
Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
quote:
Dear God, why staff surveys? And why repeated gee-ups to complete "voluntary" staff surveys in order to hit regional targets?

Alright, and why do they have to be bunched together. Lets put it this way I think my morale may be rising too its normal level from where it got sunk after answering three of them in one week.

Jengie

I just don't do them.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016