homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Confess Your Unpopular Opinion (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Confess Your Unpopular Opinion
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IMUO: Buxtehude sux.
Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, lets try UO of cliffdwellers level:

I wish I could still be an evangelical. The certainty, the clarity of just believing what I was told, the knowledge of having your own people - that was brilliant, and I miss it.

These days I am lonely, uncertain, always struggling. It is utter shit.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You're actually better off without it.

Another UO....

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
I don't think Robin Williams was a good actor, or at all funny. Couldn't stand Dead Poet's Society; kept watching in the hope it got better but he annoyed me.

I couldn't stand him either. Nor Bruce Forsyth as someone said further back.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
W Hyatt
Shipmate
# 14250

- Posted      Profile for W Hyatt   Email W Hyatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But have you seen Williams do creepy characters in "One Hour Photo" and "Insomnia?"

--------------------
A new church and a new earth, with Spiritual Insights for Everyday Life.

Posts: 1565 | From: U.S.A. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:
Agree. But Jeremy Corbyn has made a start on reducing their number with his suspension of David Prescott; still has Stephen Kinnock, Hilary Benn, Rachel Reeves, etc, etc, etc. In fact there are far more Labour MP children of MPs than Conservative.

AFAIK they were all elected. Not like far too many Tories who are wearing the same robes their fathers and possibly their ancestors back to Charles II wore.
49 Tories among the hereditaries elected by their fellows, of whom about a third are only the second or third of the title. Nobody (except I think the Duke of Norfolk and the Marquess of Cholmondley, who hold hereditary offices that have a Lords seat) now has an inherited seat in the Lords. Apart from the Bishops, they've all either been appointed or elected (admittedly by a very select electorate of other hereditary peers) in their own right. Been like that for nearly 20 years now.

[ 10. November 2017, 20:14: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
I don't think Robin Williams was a good actor, or at all funny. Couldn't stand Dead Poet's Society; kept watching in the hope it got better but he annoyed me.

Humour is notoriously subjective so I won't argue that point. But DPS isn't supposed to be funny and the parts where Williams relies on his stand-up schtick are IMO the weak points of an otherwise decent movie.
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
I wish I could still be an evangelical. The certainty, the clarity of just believing what I was told, the knowledge of having your own people - that was brilliant, and I miss it.

I know what you mean. They are good at creating a sense of belonging. Of course it only works if you can sign up to what everyone else believes. When I could I felt really at home, later when I couldn't I always felt at the fringes.

quote:
Hopefully it'll get better. It did for me. It took 3 years of trying to fit myself back into an evo mould to realise I really wasn't one any more and was able to walk away (a second time) without animosity or regret.
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
OK, lets try UO of cliffdwellers level:

I can relate to that, really and truly.

But I think, you know, I'd rather have an honest and truthful loneliness and uncertainty; than a deliberately ignorant contentment with a delusion, based on superficiality.

I'm NOT saying that others who are happy with their evangelicalism have made this choice. Not at all. I'm just saying for ME, this would have been the choice.

And, as it happens, I find that any loneliness, or sense of bereavement for what was etc, is actually part of an ongoing and fruitful struggle, where God can inhabit the weakness in me; where before the 'strength' of a less tested belief would have stymied those opportunities for growth and deepening.

But again, just my experience.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Paul.:
Humour is notoriously subjective so I won't argue that point. But DPS isn't supposed to be funny and the parts where Williams relies on his stand-up schtick are IMO the weak points of an otherwise decent movie.

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to link humour and DPS. I assumed it was serious, and took it as such. Still didn't care for it.
Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unpopular opinion: I enjoyed confirmation class, and waa rather depressed after I leas confirmed.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Obsessive decluttering is at least as disordered and harmful as obsessive cluttering.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBunk:
Obsessive decluttering is at least as disordered and harmful as obsessive cluttering.

Any obsessive behaviour is dangerous. Some is socially acceptable, some isn't.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:

Yes, Yes! Yes!! x 100

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of people who claim to be comedians, I find Jim Carrey, as of Pet Detective and Bruce Almighty so completely unfunny that I find it impossible to imagine even how that could be a UO.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, yes, Jim. Beloved of my friends. Did you see <X>? No. You have to. I'll pass.

quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
quote:

Yes, Yes! Yes!! x 100
I don't recall seeing him on any programmes or order of service...(surely I'd remember that name!) I guess I may be thankful.

[ 11. November 2017, 22:44: Message edited by: Ian Climacus ]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Of people who claim to be comedians, I find Jim Carrey, as of Pet Detective and Bruce Almighty so completely unfunny that I find it impossible to imagine even how that could be a UO.

He's shite, but a hundred times funnier than Eddie Murphy.

UO of the day - Friends was about as funny as Jim Carrey doing Eddie Murphy's material. Through Stephen Hawking's voice generator.

[ 11. November 2017, 23:14: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:

He's shite, but a hundred times funnier than Eddie Murphy.

UO of the day - Friends was about as funny as Jim Carrey doing Eddie Murphy's material. Through Stephen Hawking's voice generator.

Alas, I can't comment on Eddie Murphy as I've never seen him in action. The only reason I've seen Jim Carrey is that I was expected to watch a film of his as background material for a course I was doing. I have seen the occasional episode of Friends when other people were watching it and I agree that it was dire. Both as a Soap and as comedy, even Eastenders is better.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Adam Sandler -- another unfunny comedian.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LutheranChik:
Adam Sandler -- another unfunny comedian.

Oh good, so it's not just me. Every time I see him I want to punch his face.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:
quote:

Yes, Yes! Yes!! x 100
Yeah, but my man, JSBach, walked 250 miles to experience him in person. My UO, Bach is much more fun to play than Buxtehude.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
WatchingGodWork
Apprentice
# 18866

- Posted      Profile for WatchingGodWork   Author's homepage   Email WatchingGodWork   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Coffee tastes bitter (unless buried under a load of sugar or chocolate) and smells vile.

Most beer drinkers are slobs.

Very few pastors truly pastor.

--------------------
"I am the cherished object of Divine diligence."

Posts: 7 | From: Cedar Falls IA, USA | Registered: Nov 2017  |  IP: Logged
Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dancing Queen is a terrible song.
Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven" is worse. And it's longer. And it gets played far too often.

Worse than "Imagine", IMHO.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WatchingGodWork:
Coffee tastes bitter (unless buried under a load of sugar or chocolate) and smells vile.

Most beer drinkers are slobs.

Very few pastors truly pastor.

If you hadn't given your location, I would have been certain that I know you; it must be your twin who sits two pews in front of us, and we've already discussed my vices. There are many more.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Led Zeppelin's "Stairway to Heaven" is worse. And it's longer. And it gets played far too often.

That's not an UO. It's just
wrong!

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

That's not an UO. It's just
wrong!

Yes, it is most wrong. They both suck, but Imagine is far worse.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, Imagine is an absolute stinker. Good litmus test: people who think its profound and meaningful are going to be wrong about a lot of other things too- facile secular head-in-sand stuff.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

Imagine sucks.

Stairway to Heaven is a perfect example of indulgent, OTT rock. Which I happen to love. I don't make any claims for it being deep and meaningful, but it is good to rock out to.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Oh, Imagine is an absolute stinker. Good litmus test: people who think its profound and meaningful are going to be wrong about a lot of other things too- facile secular head-in-sand stuff.

Profound? No. Innocently appealing, yes. There are very good discussions, methinks, to be had on why Lennon's dream would ultimately fail. Despite its wide-eyed innocence, it deserves better than a sort of Lieutenant George response:

George: Now, now, now, look here, you just stop that conchy talk right now,
Private. It's, it's absurd, it's Bolshevism, and it wouldn't work,
anyway.

Baldrick: Why not, sir?

George: "Why not?" Well, what do you mean? "Why wouldn't it work?" It--
It wouldn't work, Private-- It wouldn't work because, there, well,
now, you just get on with polishing those boots, all right? and let's
have a little bit less of that lip!

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Imagine sucks.

Stairway to Heaven is a perfect example of indulgent, OTT rock. Which I happen to love. I don't make any claims for it being deep and meaningful, but it is good to rock out to.

It very nearly ruins the best rock album ever. Eight tracks, seven great bluesy rock tracks and one bad ballad.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Grapefruit is horrible.Quorn May be good for you but tastes like cardboard mixed with water.

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
magicroundabout
Apprentice
# 18869

- Posted      Profile for magicroundabout   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, as a complete newbie to the Ship, this is the BEST conversation.

My unpopular opinions:

1. It's not that I don't like strawberries, but gosh they're over-rated. People sing and dance about them as this amazing thing and the truth is: they're just another fruit!
2. Grapefruits, however - whoever hates them I'm totally with you. How can anyone eat them.
3. And goats cheese - I simply don't understand why anyone would eat a food that tastes, frankly, of vomit.
4. Politicians are allowed to change their minds. Really. We all learn as we go along. I think they should be allowed to u-turn for the good of the country without being sacked. Football managers (I hate football, but...) should also be able to lose a few games without being sacked.
5. This thread it "the BEST". I know this will be unpopular because I only read page 1 and 11 of this thread, and two other threads, before declaring this fact.

Enjoy yourselves.

Posts: 28 | From: Swindon, UK | Registered: Nov 2017  |  IP: Logged
magicroundabout
Apprentice
# 18869

- Posted      Profile for magicroundabout   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, and (remembering to add this when I see my username in screen):

6. The actual Magic Roundabout in my home town is a misunderstood and under-rated piece of traffic management genius. Every town should have (at least) one.

Posts: 28 | From: Swindon, UK | Registered: Nov 2017  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome, magicroundabout! I'm so glad you have posted in Heaven! It's a great place to get your feet wet here on the Ship.

If you'd like, you can post on the welcome thread in All Saints where you will be sure to receive a warm welcome.

jedijudy
One of the Helpful Heaven Hosts

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sighthound
Shipmate
# 15185

- Posted      Profile for Sighthound   Email Sighthound   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
UO - most of what people call "patriotism" or "nationalism" is utter bunk and just an excuse to hate people who weren't born on this particular rock. I am increasingly sick of people who wrap themselves in the flag, but by their real-world actions make it abundantly clear that they don't give a monkeys for this country or its people.

--------------------
Supporter of Tia Greyhound and Lurcher Rescue.http://tiagreyhounds.org/

Posts: 168 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

quote:
quote:

Profound? No. Innocently appealing, yes. There are very good discussions, methinks, to be had on why Lennon's dream would ultimately fail. Despite its wide-eyed innocence, it deserves better than a sort of Lieutenant George response:

George: Now, now, now, look here, you just stop that conchy talk right now,
Private. It's, it's absurd, it's Bolshevism, and it wouldn't work,
anyway.

Baldrick: Why not, sir?

George: "Why not?" Well, what do you mean? "Why wouldn't it work?" It--
It wouldn't work, Private-- It wouldn't work because, there, well,
now, you just get on with polishing those boots, all right? and let's
have a little bit less of that lip!

Oh, I think I could take it to bits properly, but haven't got the time, space, or inclination to do it now.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

quote:
Originally posted by magicroundabout:

6. The actual Magic Roundabout in my home town is a misunderstood and under-rated piece of traffic management genius. Every town should have (at least) one.

The other Magic Roundabout in Hemel Hempstead. I had to use it every day. It is back entrance to Hell, especially when dark and wet, when you cannot see any of the road markings.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by magicroundabout:

The other Magic Roundabout in Hemel Hempstead. I had to use it every day. It is back entrance to Hell, especially when dark and wet, when you cannot see any of the road markings.
The roundabout is OK. Hemel Hempstead is the problem.
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

The Beatles were much better in the early days- edgy, cocky, out to take on the world, working-class grammar-school sharp- than they were in their rather boring and disconnected long-haired, paisley-wearing, hippyish late period.

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don’t much like the Beatles in any of their incarnations and think most of their songs are highly overrated.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Sighthound
Shipmate
# 15185

- Posted      Profile for Sighthound   Email Sighthound   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have come to believe that "democracy" is vastly overrated. People should have to demonstrate they are capable of independent thought before getting a vote. At the least there should be a "senate" elected in this way to balance the dire impact of populism.

--------------------
Supporter of Tia Greyhound and Lurcher Rescue.http://tiagreyhounds.org/

Posts: 168 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unpopular thought of the day: just because you've written a history linking a 19 century movement to a 10 century movement does not actually mean that the two things are actually linked in any way whatsoever.

Everyone else seems to think it is an interesting, edgy and important contribution. I think it is likely complete bollocks.

--------------------
arse

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The programme notes for Coriolanus discuss the difficulties of democracy - and that the people do not always benefit getting what they ask for. The idea of democracy having *issues* is as old as democracy itself.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

A benign dictatorship is far better than a broken pseudo-democracy (as we have in the UK and the US).

Of course, that is really difficult to ensure. A good democracy can work, but the adversarial one doesn't. That is why I support a proportional voting system, because that would require parties to work together long term, not just chuck then a billion quid to not vote them out.

My UO - Michael Gove is actually not doing a bad job now.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

My variant on that: it's more important for a government to be competent and to secure a reasonable degree of peace and prosperity than it is for it to be democratic.

--------------------

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
My variant on that: it's more important for a government to be competent and to secure a reasonable degree of peace and prosperity than it is for it to be democratic.

Respectfully, spoken with privilege. Who decides who exactly gets to enjoy that "reasonable degree of peace and prosperity"?

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Does it matter who gets to decide, so long as the people as a whole or at least most of them have or have a viable prospect of an ability to get on with your life and have enough to eat and somewhere fairly decent to live and not be avoidably exposed to threats of violence (from the state as well as from others) and, mostly, to have a reasonable amount of property (the stuff you need plus modest luxuries)and know that it will be protected by the state. That sort of thing. And nobody is structurally excluded from this because of race or religion and so on.

[ 15. November 2017, 20:27: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Does it matter who gets to decide, so long as the people as a whole or at least most of them have or have a viable prospect of an ability to get on with your life and have enough to eat and somewhere fairly decent to live and not be avoidably exposed to threats of violence (from the state as well as from others) and, mostly, to have a reasonable amount of property (the stuff you need plus modest luxuries)and know that it will be protected by the state. That sort of thing. And nobody is structurally excluded from this because of race or religion and so on.

Translation: Fuck the poor, especially those transgenerationally so. As long as most of us get along, they can go hang.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

I would probably say that the government needs to enforce doing something for the poor and needy, who cannot help themselves. Whereas those who can look help themselves can get on and do that.

And, fundamentally, a government should not be beholden to anyone. So if they want to say "The Dully Wail is a disgrace and must stop production", they can. As long as it is not because of personal criticism or disagreement.

Similarly, a government needs to be able to say "We will have gun regulation". And enforce it. End of.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016