homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Confess Your Unpopular Opinion (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Confess Your Unpopular Opinion
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Who decides who exactly gets to enjoy that "reasonable degree of peace and prosperity"?

...and who decides what is 'reasonable'? The meaning of 'modest luxury', for example, will vary depending on your income.

[ 16. November 2017, 08:15: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
My variant on that: it's more important for a government to be competent and to secure a reasonable degree of peace and prosperity than it is for it to be democratic.

We get a vote every four or five years. Corporations and financial institutions bully governments 24/7 without the need for voting. These buggers are supposed to serve us but they don't.

Prosperity my arse.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
We get a vote every four or five years. Corporations and financial institutions bully governments 24/7 without the need for voting. These buggers are supposed to serve us but they don't. ...

Since when has that been an unpopular opinion, one not to be confessed to in polite society?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looks at the top of the page. Yep, we're still in Heaven. I was afraid we had moved to Purgatory.

OK, we're expressing Unpopular Opinions, not debating them and government issues!!

jedijudy
Heaven Host with a slightly frayed nerve

Back to UOs...Mr. Rogers used to scare me.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Looks at the top of the page. Yep, we're still in Heaven. I was afraid we had moved to Purgatory.

OK, we're expressing Unpopular Opinions, not debating them and government issues!!

jedijudy
Heaven Host with a slightly frayed nerve

My apologies. I got carried away on my faithful hobbyhorse.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And mine.

Getting back to unpopular opinions... I don't like vampires and cannot understand the popularity of vampire romance. Who wants to kiss a corpse?! And if the spectacle of a 32-year old man propositioning a teenager is repulsive, what shall we say to the 200-year-old vampire who hangs round the local high school trying to get a girlfriend? Yes, Angel, I am looking at YOU.

[ 16. November 2017, 16:35: Message edited by: Jane R ]

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Agree. Vampires, werewolves, all boring and loathsome.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apologies accepted! Many thanks! [Big Grin]

Another UO of mine; I can't abide the scent of Stargazer Lilies.

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stargazer lilies are the imprint of Satan's anus upon the world.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I can't abide the scent of Stargazer Lilies.

They are absolutely beautiful, and I don't mind the scent. But they are one of the worst allergens. I cannot be in the same room as them.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lilies in general have stamens whose powder(?) stains clothing indelibly. Why, oh Lord?

Thinks: this could have gone on another thread....

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A good florist should cut the stainy bits out to stop them dropping on your tablecloth. But most of them don’t.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:
A good florist should cut the stainy bits out to stop them dropping on your tablecloth. But most of them don’t.

Our flower person at church always removes the anthers from our Easter lilies because she knows that the pollen causes problems for many of us. But the next day (i.e., Easter) more buds have opened, and those anthers are still full of pollen. And the next day, and the next day...

(I once read a murder mystery -- don't remember the title or author -- where the murderer killed a clergyman by surrounding the pulpit with lilies when he was preaching at a funeral. She knew he had a severe lily allergy and I think maybe some other complications.)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Morrisey is crap. Listened to a couple of tracks from his new album today. Not impresssed. He is so up himself.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It was the Electric Company for me. Shouting "Hey you guys!" always put me on edge.
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
Morrisey is crap. Listened to a couple of tracks from his new album today. Not impresssed. He is so up himself.

This is meant to be *un*popular opinions.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBunk:
Stargazer lilies are the imprint of Satan's anus upon the world.

[Overused] [Killing me]
Quotes file!!

--------------------

Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am sure the BBC’s Children In Need appeal does very, very good work with the huge amounts of money they raise. So perhaps I’m just mean-spirited and prematurely Scrooge-like, but the Friday night telethon is really tiresome and problematic in its sudden switches from jolly light entertainment to “cry at this sad story” film reports, the celebrities urging us to give our money (when if they got together and gave a similar proportion of their wealth/income as ordinary people do, or even just paid their taxes, they could help solve huge amounts of these problems) potentially hypocritical, and the Radio 2 “only the rich need apply” auctions just... just... I don’t know the right word, but I really don’t get on with Children In Need week.

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree and I haven't watched it for many years precisely because of this. I find the the smug self-congratulatory attitude of the presenters and stars really sickening.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very popular opinion. There are sometimes sketches that I want to see, but I cannot watch the whole lot.

TBH, I normally fast forward through the charity appeals. I feel bad for doing so, but I don;t need ot be made ot feel worse. And yes, if we as a country took all we should in tax, we could provide the 50M for CiN without any of this. As well as fund the rest of our country.

There is a meme on Twitter - a repeat from last year - suggesting we give 350M to suffering children, and have a Trident in Need day.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

UO: Genesis were at their best between Peter Gabriel leaving and Phil Collins having his first solo album.

And in that period, COllins shows off what a superb singer he can be. Something, IMO, he has never managed as a solo artist.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I were the Queen, faced with the prospect of the Corbynistas forming the next Fovernment, I think I'd put all my money as far beyond their reach as possible.

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hate pizza.
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For 'Fovernment' read 'Government'. The Fat Finger has struck again. Sorry.

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seemed right enough to me, Eirenist, in a slightly snarky way.

Sort of like saying we hope Roy Moore doesn't run in Alabama's next gubernatorial race although he might make a good guber.

system1
Apprentice
# 18389

- Posted      Profile for system1   Email system1   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unpopular opinion: I find most people I encounter amongst religious professionals are unduly complacent and selfcongratulatory. Is this a panic response to the decline of formal/ traditional religion? For a more outward looking and critical approach, should I seek out 'humble Lutherans' or low church Anglicans or taciturn presbyterians, etc?
Posts: 5 | From: North Britain | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eirenist:
If I were the Queen, faced with the prospect of the Corbynistas forming the next Fovernment, I think I'd put all my money as far beyond their reach as possible.

Indeed. Heaven forfend it should benefit anyone.

My UO - abolition of the monarchy forthwith, immediate replacement of the House of Lords with an elected chamber.

[ 21. November 2017, 05:28: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another UO from me:

I detest the works of Roald Dahl and have done since I was a child

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Agree about Roald Dahl - horrible. And my children, who were read copious amounts of his stuff as children (though not by us) didn't like his books either.

There is a cruelty in RD's work which is unsettling, and which he frequently employed in real life.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

My UO: The Democratic Unionist Party was better and more constructive under Ian Paisley than it is now.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
I hate pizza.

Strong words indeed!
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
... My UO - abolition of the monarchy forthwith, immediate replacement of the House of Lords with an elected chamber.

Does that really count as an UO? Although they aren't my view, in many circles both those opinions are virtually obligatory for social acceptance.

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
... My UO - abolition of the monarchy forthwith, immediate replacement of the House of Lords with an elected chamber.

Does that really count as an UO? Although they aren't my view, in many circles both those opinions are virtually obligatory for social acceptance.
I wouldn't go so far as to say "many". I keep on being told how minority my view is by the many who disagree.

I was, for example, the first person ever in my scout group to object to the mention of the Queen in the scout promise.

[ 21. November 2017, 12:23: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The available pool of "talent" for election to the House of Commons is small enough - God forbid that we should be forced to scrape through the bottom of the barrel for the Lords.

All that is required for the upper chamber is (a) for life peerages to be outlawed for has-been politicians; (b) for the Spiritual Lords to be opened up to senior clerics from other faiths; (c) for those few to be honoured with a life peerage to first understand they will be required to give, say, 10 years to the House and also to be of the calibre in their field where they will have something to contribute.

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

The film "Elf" sucks.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With you there SC - in fact when we saw it on TV, Hugal couldn't bring himself to watch to the end. We have an allergy to Will Ferrell and his shtick.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

So does "The Piano".

--------------------

Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There’s really no need to make a West End/Broadway musical out of every single film/tv show/singer/ pop group’s back catalogue. Please stop.

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And that's an unpopular opinion?
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
And that's an unpopular opinion?

I was judging its unpopularity or otherwise based on the number of the things that keep being made and the number of people that keep going to see the things.

--------------------

agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

- Posted      Profile for agingjb   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my opinions, which to judge from this thread is in a minority, and may be unpopular, is to prefer to hear enthusiasms rather than criticisms from those whose views are generally unshared.

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

Posts: 464 | From: Southern England | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by agingjb:
One of my opinions, which to judge from this thread is in a minority, and may be unpopular, is to prefer to hear enthusiasms rather than criticisms from those whose views are generally unshared.

Is this irony?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

... Or even "post-modern" irony [Biased]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

Is this irony?
I took a simple, straightforward view, namely that it is better to hear an unapologetic enthusiasm than one full of regret.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

Is this irony?
I took a simple, straightforward view, namely that it is better to hear an unapologetic enthusiasm than one full of regret.
I took the obvious view that he was criticizing people for being critical. Which is by some definitions ironic.

--------------------

agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

- Posted      Profile for agingjb   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I was trying to say that I prefer to hear what people like rather than what they don't like.

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So why are you reading a thread about unpopular opinions?

--------------------
arse

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
I think I was trying to say that I prefer to hear what people like rather than what they don't like.

I think that would make an excellent thread, so I started one. Just for you, and other people who would rather read about what people like than about what they hate.

--------------------

agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

Is there something wrong with enthusiasm for something in which most people do not delight?

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Is there something wrong with enthusiasm for something in which most people do not delight?

No, not at all.

But an "unpopular opinion" is ambiguous - it could be read as either "this is unpopular, but I really like.." or "this is unpopular, but I think x sucks".

It'd be weird to come to this thread and only expect positive opinions.

--------------------
arse

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016