homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Confess Your Unpopular Opinion (Page 13)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Confess Your Unpopular Opinion
Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My UO for this (and every) Christmas season: The Toys for Tots campaign. May the whole outfit prosper and grow rich and buy a hotel with a thousand rooms and be found dead in every one of them.

Here we have children with dire, horrifically expensive medical needs losing their insurance, one of the highest child poverty rates in the developed world, children whose most ardent wish is for a full belly on two or three successive days of the week, or a coat to wear to school when it's freezing out, and what do we have for them? Toys for Tots.

I have nothing against either tots or toys, but for the sake of the living Christ, couldn't we attend to these other urgent needs first?

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 374 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah yes - over here, we have 'Toy Services' in some churches (usually on Advent Sunday, which means that the liturgy is somewhat dumbed-down).

The worthy idea is that suitable toys are brought to church, to be passed on to the Salvation Army for distribution to the needy.

Alas, my UO relates to the practice of some churches to invite children to 'Bring-and-Show' a toy or something (a new SmartPhone, tablet, bicycle, or whatever) in church on Christmas morning.

[Projectile]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ohher:

Here we have children with dire, horrifically expensive medical needs losing their insurance, one of the highest child poverty rates in the developed world, children whose most ardent wish is for a full belly on two or three successive days of the week, or a coat to wear to school when it's freezing out, and what do we have for them? Toys for Tots.

Except those children also want toys.
quote:

I have nothing against either tots or toys, but for the sake of the living Christ, couldn't we attend to these other urgent needs first?

It should be both. The nations here represented on SOF can do both.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The program at my church provides each child with a toy (or gift recommended by a parent) and a stocking -- as well as an outfit of clothing and a pair of shoes/socks. The family gets a family gift (based on their requests), usually kitchenware or other household goods. And each family gets a gift card to a local grocery chain. Occasionally we can set them up with gently-used furniture if needed.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somewhat UO - Dark Side of the Moon is still one of the best albums of all time. Probably the best.

The Great Gig in the Sky is the essence of perfection in music making. Whether you play an instrument, or sing, you should try to put that level of passion and emotion into what you do.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It shouldn't be the 'done thing' to let older people off the bus first. They just walk slower once they're off so those of us with a brisker pace overtake them a few seconds later anyway. It's suicidal convention to show deference to the elderly, but in this instance it is a mere nicety that serves no practical purpose.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is Outrage!

I say this as An Elderly.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, all those old people should be home in their rocking chairs. What are they doing out and about on buses anyway?

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
Somewhat UO - Dark Side of the Moon is still one of the best albums of all time. Probably the best.

The Great Gig in the Sky is the essence of perfection in music making. Whether you play an instrument, or sing, you should try to put that level of passion and emotion into what you do.

Is this unpopular? It certainly speaks for me.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somewhat unpopular. I know there are shipmates who don't like it.

I have noted their names, and there might be occasional accidents as they transfer to the new vessel.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Yeah, all those old people should be home in their rocking chairs. What are they doing out and about on buses anyway?

Perhaps Sipech thinks the Great Gig in the Sky is where they should have already gone! [Snigger]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016