homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Confess Your Unpopular Opinion (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  11  12  13 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Confess Your Unpopular Opinion
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where do I start?

Cities are not "vibrant" (what does that even mean?), fun, exiting, stimulating or interesting. They are crowdwd, noisy, filthy, crime-ridden, expensive, polluted middens. Especially that London. Everything I need can be found in the countryside and smaller towns.

Urban and suburban environments should be designed to make motor vehicle use as inconvenient as possible, barring exceptions for disability and frailty, to encourage cycling and walking. This will make cities less noisy, polluted and hostile. A "city car" should be an oxymoron.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Churchill was not a national hero nor the greatest ever Briton. He was an utter bastard, totally at ease with mass murder and violent repression of dissent.

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most of these have been phrased as negative dissenting opinions, so let's try some examples of turning it round.

I really like sprouts.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

I like steaks at least medium.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
I really like sprouts.

I knew I should have proposed marriage. Is your passport in order? [Axe murder]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kittyville:
The classics of English literature leave me cold. Austen, Hardy, Dickens, whatever, all equally meh.

I disagree about Dickens and Hardy. Austen though is worse than meh. In my opinion she is Britain's, if not the world's, most overrated author.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:

You are aware that restaurants reserve the best for medium-rare, rare and blue. You are paying top dollar for inferior meat.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do not like television and have never owned a set.
I have no use for professional sports -- except the Chicago Cubs, which are an exception to ALL rules.
I find Dickens a total bore -- it is obvious he was paid by the word.
I do not like bourbon (in fact, I'm allergic) and I was born in Kentucky!
I heartily dislike 'modernized' liturgy, both texts and format. If it was good enuf for Cranmer (or Pius V), it's ok for me.
Most of John Rutter's music is wretched pap, but a few of his early things I like.

And I'm sure there are more...

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:

You are aware that restaurants reserve the best for medium-rare, rare and blue. You are paying top dollar for inferior meat.
I don't want "the best" if it makes me feel sick, which both the texture and taste of rare meat does. Besides, the sort of places I can afford to eat at I doubt are bothering with this sort of snobby bollocks.

Eta - and I just knew this would be the one someone wouldn't be able to resist pickkng. Me up on this one. Some people for some reason cannot cope with tastes varying on this one. Unfortunately too many of them work in poncy restaurants.

[ 11. October 2017, 19:33: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

Urgh Android edit fail...

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
I don't support our troops.

Whereas I do. I don't support most of the things they are asked to do though.
I wish people wouldn't sign up for the military in the first place. American use of the military has been largely hideous for decades, and people shouldn't sign up for supporting the atrocity that is American foreign policy. So I don't support people choosing to join our military, and I only pay the taxes that support it because I have no interest in going to prison.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ronald Binge
Shipmate
# 9002

- Posted      Profile for Ronald Binge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tea, wakes and (most) country music are hateful to me. And I live in Donegal. Irish wake central, where weak tea is the beverage of choice at said wakes and country music the ever-present soundtrack.

--------------------
Older, bearded (but no wiser)

Posts: 477 | From: Brexit's frontline | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink.:
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
quote:

I have never watched an episode of Game of Thrones, and have no desire to do so. The same applies to Harry Potter books and films. I do not feel in any way deprived by this.

I've only watched the first Harry Potter film(directed by schlockmeister Chris Columbus), and thought it was awash in Hollywood anglophile stereotypes about the British public-school system. I was actually kind of surprised more British people weren't offended by it. But what do I know, I guess.
Having being to a traditional British boarding school, I would say that would be because it's only a mildly fantastical version of the truth.
I humbly bow to your personal experience of the school system under discussion. I did get the impression that the creators of that movie were basing it on second-hand(ie. literary or cinematic) portrayals of the boarding schools, but I could indeed be wrong about that.
Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Churchill was not a national hero nor the greatest ever Briton. He was an utter bastard, totally at ease with mass murder and violent repression of dissent.

In the non-UK anglosphere, there tends to be this ill-informed cult of Churchill, based almost entirely on his record in the build-up to World War II(attacking Munich) and of course the war itself. I don't think most of the people braying his name about in foreign-policy debates(especially anti-Soviets during the Cold War) know anything about him prior to 1938, or after 1945. The fact that he was immediately ousted following the end of the war is particularly undermentioned.

Please read Stetson's caution in the following post.
jedijudy-Heaven Host

National Lampoon did this satire on Churchill fetishism some time in the 1970s. You'll probably recognize most of the parodied quotes. (Scroll down for the beginning of the piece.)

[ 11. October 2017, 22:47: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

Some of the punch-lines in that Churchill piece above are not exactly Heavenly. But I thought of that only after I'd missed the edit window. Read at your own risk.

--------------------

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
The proper name of the game is soccer, which is a type of football. Other types include rugby union (still the game they play in heaven), rugby league, American, Aust Rules and probably many others.

Ain't so. 'Soccer' is an abbreviation for 'Association Football'. I've never watched a complete game on account of finding it utterly boring and generally pointless. You are, of course, quite right about rugby.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
I am an anti-soaper.

???

Not knowing what a soaper is, I can't work out if I'm offended or not.
[Biased]

Anti-soaper is a term of convenience for those of us who oppose the soap and perfume industry in all its forms. The reasons for our opposition are legion, and this multiplicity is one of the things that divide us.

I am a co-convener of the Natural Odor Action Faction. We in NOAF cherish the natural smell of humanity above all things. Did you know that different people smell differently, even if they eat the same things? It's one of the wonders obscured by our excessive use of soap (including shampoo) and perfume. Indeed, an expert in human body odor like me can assist in identifying murderers and other criminals, including terrorists before they commit a crime. We would be much safer if it wasn't for the bloody French. Of course if the Natural Oils Crew would just see sense and realise that theirs is a subsidiary issue...

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
quote:
The proper name of the game is soccer, which is a type of football.

Ain't so. 'Soccer' is an abbreviation for 'Association Football'.
And that abbreviation has become the proper name of the game. The term "Association football" is the answer to a trivia quiz-show question, not the name of the game.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
The proper name of the game is soccer, which is a type of football. Other types include rugby union (still the game they play in heaven), rugby league, American, Aust Rules and probably many others.

Ain't so. 'Soccer' is an abbreviation for 'Association Football'. I've never watched a complete game on account of finding it utterly boring and generally pointless. You are, of course, quite right about rugby.
I'm glad someone else finally picked Gee D. up on this appalling post. Aust Rules? What the hell is that? Plus, it's not American Football, it's Gridiron. And what about Gaelic Football and International Rules? Surely these are too important to be relegated to the dismissive 'probably many others' category.

[Mad] [Ultra confused] [Yipee]

--------------------
Human

Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you Mr Toad. I won't stand downwind of you then.
[Razz]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
Did you know that different people smell differently, even if they eat the same things?

My dog (or any dog) could have told you that.
[Razz]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

But why should dogs have all the fun?

Hang on, I just had a massive deja vu. Spooky. I don't think I've mentioned this before...

--------------------
Human

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

The Beatles Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band was not their greatest achievement, being inferior, and less original to their previous album Revolver.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The Beatles Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band was not their greatest achievement, being inferior, and less original to their previous album Revolver.

And inferior to Abbey Road, but that's just my opinion.

--------------------

anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I might have to duck for cover with this one, even on a confessions thread, but here goes nothing...

I don't find the hunting and killing of whales to be any more fundamentally barbaric than the hunting and killing of deer, or goats, or pigs, or rabbits, or pheasants, or, indeed, fish.

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anything with the word radical in it ("church" "mission") If you have to say it, you're not it

Top Gear. Jeremy Clarkson. In fact anyone talking about cars

Car adverts on TV that use Left hand drive cars - in the UK!

Beer. Pubs. Alcohol of all kinds

Football. Most of all. Who really cares?

Swearing. Pointless, aggressive impolite

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's ok being a white, middle aged hetereosexual man

Oxford University is a dump. A sort of hostel for Townies

Celeb clergy like Richard Coles and Kate Bottley aren't representative of most of us. Most clergy just get on with it all day, every day

I'm not a Royalist ad would like to fly the Red Flag from the new jerusalem

[ 12. October 2017, 04:34: Message edited by: ExclamationMark ]

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Eta - and I just knew this would be the one someone wouldn't be able to resist pickkng. Me up on this one. Some people for some reason cannot cope with tastes varying on this one. Unfortunately too many of them work in poncy restaurants.

You're one up on me at least...I have mine charcoaled. [Disappointed]

(cue outrage)

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't like football at all, have never been to a match, and watched very little of it on TV.

I don't like beer, lager, bitter or any of those hoppy drinks. I would rather drink wine or (decent) cider.

Despite this I am definately a straight male.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
I don't like beer, lager, bitter or any of those hoppy drinks. I would rather drink wine or (decent) cider.

Despite this I am definately a straight male.

Ditto.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:
Anything with the word radical in it ("church" "mission")

And "vibrant" (you know it's my bete noire).
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
Celeb clergy like Richard Coles ... aren't representative of most of us.

Indeed. I can't dance for toffee, nor do I wear a clerical suit all the time. But, then, I'm not an Anglican. [Devil]
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't like football at all

I never saw the point of any organized sport. Simply bad manners governed by a rule book. All that grabbing, shoving, etc. If they'd only wait their turn, I'm sure the nice boys would let them play with their ball.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
I never saw the point of any organized sport. Simply bad manners governed by a rule book. All that grabbing, shoving, etc. If they'd only wait their turn, I'm sure the nice boys would let them play with their ball.

That's why we have cricket, with laws, not rules, played within the spirit of the game.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:

Play what? You've just taken away all their games.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
That's why we have cricket, with laws, not rules, played within the spirit of the game.

Such as "bodyline" bowling or bouncers, sledging, picking at the seam of the ball, appealing for decisions that you know weren't "out", spinning out the over rate ...
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:

Such as "bodyline" bowling or bouncers, sledging, picking at the seam of the ball, appealing for decisions that you know weren't "out", spinning out the over rate ...
Come on, this nit-picking is just not cricket.

Hardy is an interesting one. I just reread A Pair of Blue Eyes after 20 years and was driven mad by his sexist comments about women, which he made nearly all the time. Perhaps I should reread Far From the Madding Crowd.

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

Back to unpopular opinions...

Michael Jackson was utter shite.

Food should come on plates, not shovels, not in little shopping trolleys, on slates or hung up on a shopping line. "Deconstructed" food is pretentious bollocks; putting mashed potato on top of the meat is the whole point of a Shepherd's Pie.

Red wine goes better than white with chicken. In fact it goes better with anything because white wine is wee-wee.

Beer goes better with cheese than wine does.

Scrambled eggs and omelettes should never have any liquid egg remaining; they do not go "leathery" when this is ensured; they go "cooked and no longer disgusting".

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A Pair Of Blue Eyes is, as enny fule kno, partly autobiographical, but I can't say I'm aware of Hardy being particularly sexist in that or any of his other novels.

Many of his heroines (or even anti-heroines, such as Sue Bridehead or Eustachia Vye) are portrayed as strong women of independent thought, despite the tragic events that take place in their lives.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to double-post, but Karl is Right about red wine going with chicken, and that white wine is (with rare exceptions, the names of which I can't at the moment recall) reconstituted urine.

Oh, and I dislike Dogs (properly-trained Working Dogs excepted), as they are generally a foul mess at one end, and a foul noise at the other end.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

[Originally posted by mistake in the movies thread...]

I don't see what was so brilliantly witty about Mandy Rice-Davies saying "Well, he would, wouldn't he?" at the Profumo trial.

The lawyer had basically asked her opinion about Astor's denial that he had an affair with her, and she replied with what I would have assumed is a pretty logical counterpoint, ie. obviously Astor would have an interest in denying he commited adultery.

I guess it's maybe one of those "different time, different place" sorta things? In the early 60s, it was still somewhat shocking that an 18 year old woman would so casually dismiss the claims of a respected aristocrat? Still find it hard to believe that it would be THAT much of an eyebrow raiser, especially considering that she had already said they had an affair.

--------------------

Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Michael Jackson was utter shite.

I've always found it odd that immediately after it became the vogue to start laughing at disco, Michael Jackson came along and took pop culture by storm, since his music to me seems pretty indistinguihshable from disco.

That said, I wouldn't say his music was "shite", though I didn't think there was anything really interesting or even catchy about it. Back during his heyday, I was at a loss to figure out what all the hoopla was about.

--------------------

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

The thing is, i do quite like Rugby and ice hockey. In fact any game where it is legitimate to "body block" an opponent (run into them), is fun to watch. Less sport, IMO, more just people scrapping without doing lasting damage.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
quote:

And that abbreviation has become the proper name of the game.
But only in north america. Which is not, contrary to the belief of many north americans, the centre of the world and the arbiter of all human activity

The game in qestion is organized throughout the owrld (including in North America) by a body called FIFA -- I don't see an S for soccer in its title ...but I do see an F for football.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarah G
Shipmate
# 11669

- Posted      Profile for Sarah G     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Flashdance is a really good film.

(Once you get past the 80s clothing.)

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John Holding:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
quote:

And that abbreviation has become the proper name of the game.
But only in north america. Which is not, contrary to the belief of many north americans, the centre of the world and the arbiter of all human activity

The game in qestion is organized throughout the owrld (including in North America) by a body called FIFA -- I don't see an S for soccer in its title ...but I do see an F for football.

John

The S-O-C- in soccer is for asSOCiation football. It is a British nickname which seems to have dropped in usage soon after the Americans started using it.
Story.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

If you cook it to medium, how could you tell anyway?

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
I don't want "the best" if it makes me feel sick, which both the texture and taste of rare meat does. Besides, the sort of places I can afford to eat at I doubt are bothering with this sort of snobby bollocks.

It isn't "snobby bollocks". The correct temperature of a cut of meat is whichever one you prefer. However, if cooked to medium or more, much of the flavour is gone. Like drinking beer cold, the flavour profile is limited.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Elvis was overrated

I do not like London

I do not give money to any military charities

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Celeb clergy like Richard Coles and Kate Bottley aren't representative of most of us. Most clergy just get on with it all day, every day

But I suppose that to most British people the clergy are invisible. Celeb clergy at least remind ordinary folk that such people still exist. I do wonder where they find the time to be on telly or host radio shows, though.

OK, now I'm going to throw Harry Potter into the ring. I read the first one, and I was even dragged along to the first film. Decent enough for kids, I'm sure, but I really don't get the fuss, and I haven't bothered with any more installments.

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  11  12  13 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016