homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Three companions

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Three companions
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Behold!

I'm rather excited. 2018 isn't that far away...and a Christmas special.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With three companions, at least the writers can spread out who gets to ask "What is it, Doctor?"

But, yes, I too am excited to see how the dynamic will work. But first, I am looking forward to one last Christmas special with Peter Capaldi.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good potential for both dramatic and comedic stories there. I like it.

So long as Bradley Walsh stays in character, I can't see Walsh's own personality working in the context of Who, but he has proved to be a good actor so it should be OK.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The last time they had three companions it was Peter Davison, and the last time before that it was William Hartnell. The Peter Davison era was intended to be a change to more character and relationship driven stories, rather messed up by the script editor wanting to do people running around and shooting things. But I can see that it might play to Chibnall's strengths. Anything that helps Chibnall to play to his strengths is good.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, Mr Chibnall has definitely got my attention! I’ve a hunch not all three will be permanent TARDIS crew, and that this publicity launch is intended to get us going with all manner of “what ifs”. I can’t help thinking that if this was 1970, Nicholas Courtney would be standing where Bradley Walsh is, and people would be saying “Didn’t he play the Brigadier last season? Isn’t he a bit old for a companion?” We’ll see...

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A little off the track of the 3 companions, but we now have a first look at the Doctor's new clothes.

My first thoughts: It has a little too much of a Mork & Mindy feel to it for my taste. More specifically, I miss the use of a collared shirt. Capaldi stopped wearing a collared shirt too (IIRC) and I didn't like it then, either.

Other than that, though, I like the look. A lot lighter and breezier than most, which is probably a good thing.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's another harking back to the Davison-era, when the Doctor dressed as if he had fought a second-hand clothes shop and the second-hand clothes shop won.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that is weird and really androgynous. Like they are thinking, Well, we have to have a woman Doctor, but only just!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

The Doctor's dress sense has always been a bit questionable. Just be glad she isn't wearing a fez.

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She looks like Robin Williams and Cate Blanchett had a sartorial baby.😁

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ha ha.

I like it. Enough of the odd about it, yet I think it works. I can't wait til the Christmas special, nor the new season.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Doctor's been male a loooong time. It's going to take some time for her to figure out how to dress as a woman.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
It's going to take some time for her to figure out how to dress as a woman.

As has been said above, it's not certain the Doctor has worked out how to dress as a man.

--------------------

ACK
Shipmate
# 16756

- Posted      Profile for ACK   Email ACK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The new costume somehow reminds me of Colin Baker's. While being nothing like it. Except my daughter, independently had the same thought.
The Peter Davison era seemed to have problems sometimes finding all three companions something to do each story, so waiting to see how that pans out this time around.

--------------------
'It's the only thing that worries me about going to Heaven. Would I ever get used to the height.' Norman Clegg

Posts: 56 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

quote:
Originally posted by ACK:
The new costume somehow reminds me of Colin Baker's. While being nothing like it.

They both have braces.
As well as, um.... let's say that if you dress up like that noone is going to wonder whether it's a coincidence that you dressed like the Doctor.

The problem that the Davison-era had with finding things for the companions to do was AIUI largely down to the script editor being uninterested in interpersonal relationships and thinking sf should be about men with guns shooting things.

--------------------

ACK
Shipmate
# 16756

- Posted      Profile for ACK   Email ACK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think her costume reminding me of Colin Baker's was a similar 'What is she wearing?' reaction, rather than the details.

--------------------
'It's the only thing that worries me about going to Heaven. Would I ever get used to the height.' Norman Clegg

Posts: 56 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And somehow, sometime, we are going to be shown Tom Baker again in Shada. At last. With scarf.
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh yes please! Tom Baker was 'my Doctor'. A few years back, I was walking outside my office when I saw him in the street coming the opposite way. I did the London thing - slight smile and nod, indicating "I recognise you and admire your work but I wouldn't dream of interrupting your day. And besides, I meet celebrities all the time." Then of course I nipped round the corner to SQUEE!

Ahem. Back to Jodie and her companions. I'm sure it will all be fine, though I do hope the writers don't feel the need to make every storyline harp on about the change of gender. Anyone remember the whole media storm before Bill? "Oh by the way, she's a lesbian, it's no big deal" and then they shoehorned it into every episode. (Please tell me she at least gets a glimpse of the Jodie regeneration and Wet Heather gets jealous...!)

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016