homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Unusual apologies

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Unusual apologies
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apology after Japanese train departs 20 seconds early.

What else could authorities apologise for?

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're so sorry that we finished the road works six weeks before the anticipated completion. Please excuse the lack of traffic delays.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was once booked on a flight out of Guernsey to France via Jersey that was cancelled due to Jersey being totally fogbound. Luckily, barely fifteen minutes later somebody in France ordered a charter from the company and since the plane had to come from Guernsey, they invited me, the only passenger on the original flight to be travelling on to France, to benefit from the ferry flight.

As I boarded the small plane, the pilot - apologetically - invited me to "spread myself around a bit" to compensate for the - to him - embarrassing lack of other passengers.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple of years ago, a new branch of Manchester's Metrolink tram system opened several months early, and they never apologised. The cads.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The announcer at Fukushima Station sounded apologetic when my morning train was 10 minutes late. I say sounded because I didn't know what he was actually saying ... I assumed it was related to being woken 2h earlier by a magnitude 7 earthquake, and some health and safety gone mad thing like needing to confirm none of the track was damaged.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's good that the transit authorites in Japan apologized for the early departure. Schedules exist for a reason, and if I thought I still had time, however fleeting, to make the train, I'd be ticked off if they sent it away early.
Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd also obbserve that part of the reason this is seen as such a man-bites-dog story, with the eccentricity viewed in a good light, is because people sort of treat leaving early as the opposite of leaving late. So the logic goes "Gee, our trains over here don't even apologize for leaving late, but in Japan, they apologize for leaving early", the implication being that leaving late is less of a reason to apologize, but the polite Japanese did it anyway.

Whereas in fact, leaving early can be just as bad as leaving late, if the person has planned his travel schedule on the assumption that the train would be leaving at a certain time. Having to wait six minutes for the next train because yours left early might be as much of a snafu as having to wait six minutes because your train was late in arrviving.

[ 18. November 2017, 14:18: Message edited by: Stetson ]

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I have been late for work when my bus came early before I got there and I had to wait for the next one. Very upsetting. However, in the case of the Japanese train here, it was only 20 seconds, probably not enough time to make a difference.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I've been known to arrive at a train just as the conductor was ready to close the doors. So 20 seconds can make a difference.

As for unusual apologies:

"Sorry, but we're letting you off work an hour early today, of course with full pay. There just isn't enough to keep us busy for the rest of the day. So sorry."

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At our local teerminus, train doors are rregularly closed 30 seconds before the train is due to leave, 'to ensure a prompt departure'.

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few years ago the staff of the city libraries went on strike against collecting fines. Their apologies to readers were gladly accepted!
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Vicar apologising for the abundance of seating options rather than lack of it.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In DC recently, we ordered a pizza, and were told to expect it in 45-60 minutes. After it arrived in only 20 minutes, we got an apology for the early delivery, and a coupon code for a free pizza for our trouble.

[Yipee]

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stetson:
Whereas in fact, leaving early can be just as bad as leaving late, if the person has planned his travel schedule on the assumption that the train would be leaving at a certain time. Having to wait six minutes for the next train because yours left early might be as much of a snafu as having to wait six minutes because your train was late in arrviving.

The notice on Leeds station says that doors may be closed up to one minute before departure is actually true. Several times the train has pulled out up to 30 seconds early. Mostly I was on the train, (never got an apology), only once in four years did I miss it due to early departure.

What was ironic about that is that it was a VeryRareThing™ for there to be no delays showing on the departure board.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Passengers on French TGV trains are now required to board at least 2 minutes before departure to ensure the train leaves on time.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Passengers on the Spanish equivalent have to arrive early enough to have their luggage scanned.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Eirenist
Shipmate
# 13343

- Posted      Profile for Eirenist         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As you do on Eurostar.

--------------------
'I think I think, therefore I think I am'

Posts: 486 | From: Darkest Metroland | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
ACK
Shipmate
# 16756

- Posted      Profile for ACK   Email ACK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With 3 minutes to get from one side of the station at rush hour to the other, to get my connection (assuming running on time), to have the guard watch you pound up the platform, and then the train to pull out 20 seconds early, just as you get to the door, is irritating. Don't know if it's relevant, but I think it was a female guard. Male guards seem more prone to wait for passengers obviously running for the train.

--------------------
'It's the only thing that worries me about going to Heaven. Would I ever get used to the height.' Norman Clegg

Posts: 56 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016