homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » I like this, but clearly not everybody does (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: I like this, but clearly not everybody does
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As I said on the other thread, I like the Star Wars prequels. All of them.

I also greatly enjoy watching cartoons. You can shove your gritty, deep and/or meaningful dramas somewhere dark; an evening of The Simpsons, Phineas and Ferb, Teen Titans Go, Futurama, Family Guy, We Bare Bears and so on suits me just fine [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
agingjb
Shipmate
# 16555

- Posted      Profile for agingjb   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cambozola cheese.

Mahler's "Das Lied von der Erde".

T.S.Eliot's "Four Quartets".

--------------------
Refraction Villanelles

Posts: 464 | From: Southern England | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
As I said on the other thread, I like the Star Wars prequels. All of them.

I also greatly enjoy watching cartoons. You can shove your gritty, deep and/or meaningful dramas somewhere dark; an evening of The Simpsons, Phineas and Ferb, Teen Titans Go, Futurama, Family Guy, We Bare Bears and so on suits me just fine [Big Grin]

I love animated films. I can't wait to see "Coco". I've enjoyed "The Incredibles", "Up!", "The Red Turtle", "The Book of Life", Tim Burton animation, and I even got a kick out of the Lego movies. My best movie bud likes movies adult and indie so I see a lot of serious stuff, but I go with a friend who likes simple pleasures to see my animated features.

[ 27. November 2017, 16:33: Message edited by: Lyda*Rose ]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I actually don't mind the smell of mothballs.
Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love cartoons. I'm also a sucker for - struggling for the apposite adjective - comedies, the ones that are sort of the opposite of things like Friends - Bottom, Peep Show, Lead Balloon, Outnumbered, Inbetweeners. It probably comes as no surprise that I spend much of Christmas morning reading the Viz annual I traditionally get.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I enjoy The Three Stooges.

Also A A Milne's children's poems - dated, twee and precious though they might be.

Who hasn't wondered "how God began"?

Asserting aseity, and telling you that it is a meaningless question (like "What was there before the Big Bang?"), sounds like a cop out.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AA Milne fought in World War 1 and came back with shell-shock. A number of recent commentators have suggested that the poems and stories are his attempts to relate to his son. Just knowing he was a WW1 survivor makes his writings far more poignant.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kaplan Corday
Shipmate
# 16119

- Posted      Profile for Kaplan Corday         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
AA Milne fought in World War 1 and came back with shell-shock. A number of recent commentators have suggested that the poems and stories are his attempts to relate to his son. Just knowing he was a WW1 survivor makes his writings far more poignant.

A couple of days ago I saw the current film which concerns itself with some of these issues.

It's what got me thinking about Milne.

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Penny--

quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Once, during a school design and technology project on torches, while the children were doing their ideas, I managed to make a light which fitted into a Nigroid flip top box and came on when it was flipped open. Still have it somewhere.

Look up "Altoids tin DIY projects". People do all sorts of things. You might also like Instructables how-to site and Make zine.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kaplan Corday:

When I was a child I loved brains and cod liver oil.

I haven't been game to try either since. [/QB]

My mother gave us Halibut Liver oil. I liked that and sweetbreads (pancreas).

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like Blossom Dearie.

I also like Disney's Fantasia, especially the Night on a Bare Mountain/Ave Maria section. A shame the music tape was reused by the audio engineers. Leopold Stowkowski is my favourite conductor.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I only really know ‘Bruce’ but that’s hilarious.

Fantasia is my favourite film. I sat silent and transfixed by it in the cinema aged 4, and then asked for years if we could see ‘the dancing mushrooms film’ (pre-video age!)

To make this a real UO, can I add that I also love Fantasia 2000, particularly the ‘Rhapsody in Blue’ section.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
wild haggis
Shipmate
# 15555

- Posted      Profile for wild haggis         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Enoch - you have something there.

Music: anything except C&W. I like singing folk. The Celtic folk scene is really good now with Celtic Connection s in Glasgow, Lorient in Brittany etc. But then I also like Schostakovitch, Tchaikovshy, Copeland, Bernstein, Bartok and Kaodaly and opera - especially Russian; early music - big yes. Klezmer, especially the group "She'koya" You can keep Beethovan, Elger and Wagner though.

Brussels sprouts: not overcooked and served with butter and mashed up nuts.
Red cabbage (German style) with venison, roatsies, chestnut puree and the works (our Christmas dinner).
Fish but not oysters (yuck). Nothing beats good fresh fish & chips.
Haggis, neeps and tatties. Tomorrow night. Anyone know where I can buy a proper haggis in Cardiff - not a plastic wrapped sausage one?

--------------------
wild haggis

Posts: 166 | From: Cardiff | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am a fan of musical theater.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Brenda Clough:

I like a lot of the songs from musical theatre, though not so much the performances themselves.

And I like the taste of flat soda-pop, especially coke.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Latchkey Kid:
Leopold Stowkowski is my favourite conductor.

[tangent] I saw him live -- conducting Beethoven's Ninth! [Yipee] I was expecting Mickey Mouse to climb the steps to the podium and shake his hand. [/tangent]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like the ‘like’ button [Smile] [Razz]

It’s good for acknowledging that you’ve read and appreciated a comment but don’t have anything further to say.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like romantic comedies.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
I like romantic comedies.

Me too, especially the smart, sassy ones set in hip urban centres(to quote the movie ads). I don't really care for straightforward romance. I think it needs a good splash of comedy to chase it down.
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
I like the ‘like’ button [Smile] [Razz]

It’s good for acknowledging that you’ve read and appreciated a comment but don’t have anything further to say.

I actually looked for a "like" button to respond to this post.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Me too. And opera.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
quote:

Me too. And opera.
The songs are OK but I find an evening of either a bit much. I do like ballet though.
Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
I do like ballet though.

Me too.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love classical music, and opera, and live theater (Shakespeare, musicals, whatever)... but please don't drag me to a ballet. Many people assume that since I enjoy the other performing arts I must be a ballet lover too. Nope.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hugal:
I like cities and prefer them to the country.

Oh, me too - absolutely. My family all would move further and further into the country if they could. I want noise and concrete.

A note re: Sen-Sens (I didn't expect my post to generate so much discussion!) - they were more than licorice. They have some kind of spices, too. I'm pretty sure they contain patchouli, in fact, and the fact that as a kid, my dad ate Sen-Sens and I smelled them on him probably accounts for the fact that I wear patchouli oil every day now. (My tag-line on my facebook profile is "Patchouli-scented".) In fact, I hate black licorice; I love Sen-Sens despite their being licorice-based. So, sadly, most licorice drops or similar candy won't do as a substitute.

Re: Horehound, I love it. It tastes more like rootbeer than licorice to me, and I don't care for rootbeer.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by Latchkey Kid:
Leopold Stowkowski is my favourite conductor.

[tangent] I saw him live -- conducting Beethoven's Ninth! [Yipee] I was expecting Mickey Mouse to climb the steps to the podium and shake his hand. [/tangent]
Well, as long as Minnie Mouse wasn't the soprano soloist.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like beer. Amber to dark beers with lots of malt and fragrant but subdued hop character, preferably a good old Goldings or Fuggles. None of these modern IPAs that taste like an infusion of grapefruit pith. Much prefer beer to wine. Had Christmas dinner once with a range of beers matched to each course. Wonderful.

Oh, and beer goes much better with cheese than wine does.

[ 29. November 2017, 19:30: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
I like beer.

This is an unpopular opinion? [Confused]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
I like beer.

This is an unpopular opinion? [Confused]
I was about to ask the same thing!

I also like Amber to dark beers with lots of malt and fragrant but subdued hop character, not the yellow stuff most Americans seem to think is beer. (Budweiser? Really?)

--------------------
~Tortuf

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Many people assume that since I enjoy the other performing arts I must be a ballet lover too. Nope.

Ditto.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
quote:
Many people assume that since I enjoy the other performing arts I must be a ballet lover too. Nope.

Ditto.
I love ballet, live theatre, symphonic and chamber music, but not opera.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Opera is difficult because (for many) of the language barrier. And even if you do know the language, it's hard to understand the lyrics because to the untrained ear it sounds like everyone is screeching.

But opera is the culmination of all the arts rolled together. Those operas I have attended in person, I have enjoyed very much. But I do find it hard to listen to recordings of opera.

I've only ever been to one live ballet, and I did find that interesting.

But I hate beer in any form. I've never understood what people see in it.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like traffic lights.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

quote:
Originally posted by simontoad:
I like traffic lights.

No matter where they’ve been?

--------------------

Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
I like traffic lights.

My soup nearly went all over my computer keyboard then...

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1117 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
wild haggis
Shipmate
# 15555

- Posted      Profile for wild haggis         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love opera but not many of the modern productions. So often historical stries or settings are wrenched out of their original time and don't work, making the whole thing jar and hard to belief.Eg Khovanchina set in modern times, Don Giovani set in 1980s with drug taking!!!! Ballo Masquera opening with men sitting on toilets - what's that about!As to the sex................! No wonder we can't get kids into classical music at an early age.

I first saw Madama Butterfly (Scottish Opera) when I was 9 and loved it. It was done traditionally, beautifully and was mezmorising. Our son had sections of Rigeletto done by Touring Opera at school when he was 9 and loved it. But when we watched a production from ROH on TV at family viewing time, it opened with a sex scene!! And poor old Rigeletto was dressed like a spider! What was that about? As to historical Handel operas set in classical Roman times with Roman stories being dressed as if they have stepped out of a Sci-Fi movie! Audiences aren't stupid. They can understand historical stories. The directors are full of their own importance, charging huge fees for rubbish production that just titilate the sex drive of people and forget the whole point the composer is making. All they want to do is shock.They don't even appear to read the liberetti and don't care about what the opera is saying. They only want their often warped opinions aired. They can keep it especially at the prices charged in London!(end of rant)

Nowadays I prefer to listen on radio or CD. Mind you Welsh National Opera's Rosenkavalier this year in Cardiff was brilliant. Die Fleadermouse was fun but why did they dress Hungarian dancers as Ottoman courtiers and have them dancing Greek steps. I couldn't help giggling. Still the rest was good.

For those who don't like ballet: have you watched any of Kenneth MacMillan's works (eg Romeo & Juliet, The Invitation, Elite Synocopations, Manon etc)? Try modern ballet or contemporary dance (Yasmin Vardemon, Carolin Finn, Arthur Pita, Merse Cunningham, etc). What about Wayne MacGregor's stuff. Not all all prizzy any of it. Give it a go - check bits on YouTube. You might get hooked.

--------------------
wild haggis

Posts: 166 | From: Cardiff | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree with the (presumable slip of the tongue of the) radio presenter who said "Joni Mitchell is the American Sandy Denny."
[Big Grin]

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Higgs Bosun
Shipmate
# 16582

- Posted      Profile for Higgs Bosun   Email Higgs Bosun   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:

I have always been a fan. At my school we had to learn a poem by heart each year. Mine were normally drawn from Milne. When my sister and I split up the family home on the death of our father, she got the Milne. I had to make do with the Lewis Carroll.
Posts: 313 | From: Near the Tidal Thames | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:
I agree with the (presumable slip of the tongue of the) radio presenter who said "Joni Mitchell is the American Sandy Denny."
[Big Grin]

Whether one agrees with that assessment - I'm not really all that struck by Joni Mitchell - why should that be a slip of the tongue? [Razz]

[ 30. November 2017, 13:31: Message edited by: Enoch ]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She's Canadian, from Saskatoon.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like beer. Not so strange expect I live in an area that is famous for it's wine. [Hot and Hormonal]
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like my coffee strong but I can't stand "strong" tea.
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
I like traffic lights.

especially when they're green?

I like having a short black at a 7/11 in Taylors Lakes. They keep me awake when I'm driving home for another 45 minutes... at least until I get to the hidden-in-plain-sight military testing site/ spy substation about 10 minutes from where I live, when I suddenly feel tired again. I've often wondered whether its the terrible coffee or the orange zest muffin I choose as the least sugary option while still having a muffin that keeps me awake to that point. It might be an emanation from the said secret military/spy base, but I don't experience the effect at other times, so I'm calling it a coffee come-down.

Also, I embarrassed myself at the 7/11 by referring to the owner's son's late-model Mercedes as a BMW. I didn't have the heart to explain that I call all luxury cars BMWs.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*shamefaced* I call cars 'black and shiny' or 'small red car' or 'possibly 4x4'. I can recognise an old VW Beetle, a Ford Prefect and a red Lamborghini. If it has no roof it is a cabriolet.

I like the idea of Advent more than the reality because it coincides with festive toxicity.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Snap but I drink both black. I known a few black drinkers who like weak coffee but think I have only ever met one who liked strong tea. So for a subset of the populous that is normal.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The coffee thing is cultural or possibly even doctrinal. I am informed (by my brother-in-law the Lutheran pastor) that Lutherans water their coffee to ensure that it's weak enough. Could this be heresy?

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
quote:

Snap but I drink both black.
Me too. Both black, both strong.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
The coffee thing is cultural or possibly even doctrinal. I am informed (by my brother-in-law the Lutheran pastor) that Lutherans water their coffee to ensure that it's weak enough. Could this be heresy?

That would be what I call "church strength". I Fight the Good Fight for strong coffee in church.
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

That would be what I call "church strength". I Fight the Good Fight for strong coffee in church.
I find that in Anglican circles the good coffee is at the top of the candle. Unfortunately for me my Anglicanism is subterranean.

Our church coffee is on the weak side for me, although it is coffee, not that fake stuff marked "instant." I am told that it is weak because some have complained it was too strong. The words, "add water," seem to have no meaning there.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gibson's best solid body electric guitars, and therefore the best in the world, are the Firebird and SG.

Clearly some would not agree, going by the sales of an overweight, overcomplicated, thing designed by a 1950s Jazz player.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016