homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Deck the Halls or Whatever. (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Deck the Halls or Whatever.
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone started their holiday trimming and If so what is up so far? At the Image home the Advent candles are on the table, a wreath is on the front door, and the Christmas nativity figures are on the mantle sans the Christ Child. He arrives on Christmas Eve along with the tree. Also waiting in the wings are a St. Nicholas, and a painting of the Virgin of Guadeloupe. They will appear on the hall table on their proper feast days.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nope. Tomorrow I'll set up the Advent wreath (which reminds me - I'm behind on the Advent calendar, which started yesterday), and in a couple of weeks I'll ask the offspring units to put up the tree. At some point I'll put the wreath on the door.

I'm terminally old-fashioned in these things. I like to keep the decorations up until the Epiphany, and I've always believed that if you find yourself having to dust them, they've been up too long.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
I'm terminally old-fashioned in these things. I like to keep the decorations up until the Epiphany, and I've always believed that if you find yourself having to dust them, they've been up too long.

Not old-fashioned -- the word is "correct."
[Biased]

I've said the same thing about having to dust the decorations when they've been up to long. They go up on December 24 and come down on January 6,

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Christmas Eve doesn't work with my schedule (or those of the offspring units, who have to do the heavy lifting for me these days), but I applaud you.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But if one is to properly celebrate the 40 days of Christmas, then the decorations should remain up until Feb 2!

And now that we no longer (at least most of us) have the 'gesima' weeks, there is no conflict in the calendar.

Just sayin'

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

See my earlier comment about dusting.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is this 'dusting' of which you speak?

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I put the candle-bridges up this afternoon; they'll be up from Advent to Candlemas. We had to buy a new tree (the one we had didn't make the move), and it's been decorated and lights checked for functionality, but hasn't been put up yet.

Graven Image has just reminded me that we have a little set of Nativity figures (I hope they made the move); they'll go on the window-sill when the tree goes up (probably next weekend).

A friend in St. John's has her Wise Men process round her dining-room (starting from the east, obviously) until they arrive with the rest of her Nativity set at Epiphany. I'm not quite that liturgically correct, but as the window faces north, it shouldn't be too hard to have them coming from the east. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
Has anyone started their holiday trimming and If so what is up so far?

Oh, dearie I, do you really have time to read all this?

So, approaching the Hedgehog House from the outside, you will note Christmas lights (multicolored) around the windows and the front door. A small wreath on the door, with a larger wreath (about 3 feet wide) under the lower window. Also, in a garden box out front, there is a sign reading "Merry Christmas." Hanging from an upstairs window is a banner with a full-length figure of Santa dressed in a blue ensemble and holding an American flag. As December goes on, this will change to another one of a more traditional Santa head and, on Christmas, to an image of a kitten playing with a Christmas ornament.

Stepping inside the house, you are confronted by a candy dish with seasonal chocolates and peppermint nougat. To your left, on the floor, is a faux-velvet tree skirt around a tree stand. But no tree yet. It isn't bought yet (always do real). No real hurry because it won't be decorated until Christmas Eve (by Santa). But back to the tour. On the wall is a large decorative throw of Santa Claus at the intersection of Holly Hill & Pine Bluff. On a stand next to the tall case clock is a foot high cinnamon-wax Santa. Some faux evergreen and ornaments is draped on top of the tall case.

Heading to the dining room, there are more lights wrapped around the chain going to the swag lamp. On the sideboard are several candles of various seasonal scents. Currently I am burning the "Spicy Peppermint and Spruce" candle. I am still puzzled as to how it gets its name as I don't detect either peppermint or spruce. There is an empty stable on the sideboard. Figurines will go in as I get the energy, but, of course, the Baby Jesus will not make an appearance until Christmas Day.

Moving to the living room, you will notice a two-foot tall Santa figurine standing on the floor. There is a fireplace in this room, and two stocking are hung by the chimney with care (one for me, one for my cat). On the mantlepiece are a couple Christmas-themed snow globes, as well as a snowman and another Santa figurine (6 inches). Above the fireplace is another wreath. More figures on the bookcase. On a table in front of the bookcase is a stack of Christmas music CDs; some book (A Christmas Carol, Miracle on 34th Street & The Life & Adventures of Santa Claus) and DVDs (Miracle on 34th Street, A Muppet Christmas Carol, and A Christmas Past). Also, another Santa figure acting as a sort of bookend. And some candles which are to be used to power...on a table by the back window (also decorated with lights) two German Christmas Pyramids. Oh, and there are a couple of smokers with boxes of incense cones of various flavors (and I can't tell one from another...it is possible that smell is not my best sense).

Looking out the window into the back yard you will see a modestly large evergreen also decorated with Christmas lights (multicolored, of course).

That's about it except that up in the bedrooms the windows, of course, have Christmas lights.

I did warn you.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many of the neighbors put their outdoor Christmas lights up last weekend when the weather was as good as it is likely to get. Those missed the opportunity may need to do so next weekend (forecast to be dry, but colder.)

Our preparations will be simpler: one or more electric candles placed in a high window facing the street as a welcome to weary travelers. The batteries only last about 3 weeks, so they can't go up too early. Most decking of halls, including the choice of which wreath to use and options for a tree (possibly a small evergreen in a pot that hasn't yet been planted in the yard) will wait until the decorator-in-chief returns from an Autumnal pilgrimage to Hawaii.

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Eek!]

[Overused]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(That was for Hedgehog...)

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bah humbug

The tinsel went up around the railings at work Friday.

I live alone, but I did think of getting a small tree. Got one when I was in Ireland in 2001 and it brightened up the place. One day I might splurge for a standard size one...but I've only a hatchback so getting it home may be a problem.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Forgot to say...love reading what you all are doing.
Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't started my real holiday decorating yet, but inspired by this thread, I think I shall go and put my Merry Christmas banner on my apartment front door.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Blast! I forgot! In the dining room, on the table, is the Advent Wreath. This year I am going with pillar candles in the appropriate colors (in previous years I used vigil lights).

And, in the entrance room, on the small sofa, there is an Opus doll with reindeer antlers and a pillow that bears the legend "Christmas is Love."

Typical. There is always something you forget.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
I live alone, but I did think of getting a small tree. Got one when I was in Ireland in 2001 and it brightened up the place. One day I might splurge for a standard size one...but I've only a hatchback so getting it home may be a problem.

One of my greatest discoveries was that any tree that could fit into my VW Golf (or now VW GTI) is exactly the right height for my ceilings.

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was not going to decorate for Christmas this year. So, therefore, I have a little three foot live tree of indeterminate type. It was on sale, and who in their right mind can say no to a Christmas tree on sale? [Big Grin]

Even better than decorating, I've been playing my Christmas music on the piano! By Christmas Eve, at least half of it should be in my fingers. So, I guess those several books are decorating the piano.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Even better than decorating, I've been playing my Christmas music on the piano! By Christmas Eve, at least half of it should be in my fingers. So, I guess those several books are decorating the piano.

I have given instructions to family and friends that I want Christmas music played at my funeral, regardless of when I die. I want to be remembered at Christmas. One thing I am sure of: I will always be alive at Christmas. Death ain't gonna change that.

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

I'm holding out for "Helmsley."

(In honor of my beloved Shipmate Margaret, I offer this rendition from Lichfield Cathedral, where she and her husband are members: The best Advent hymn ever.)

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
I have given instructions to family and friends that I want Christmas music played at my funeral, regardless of when I die. I want to be remembered at Christmas. One thing I am sure of: I will always be alive at Christmas. Death ain't gonna change that.

Several years ago a lovely older woman, a faithful member of my parish, had ‘Silent Night’ sung at her funeral. As she lay dying, her family had gathered around to sing, including many Christmas carols. Her favorite was always ‘Silent Night’ -- and she died while it was being sung. I still get teary-eyed thinking of her whenever it is sung.

quote:

(In honor of my beloved Shipmate Margaret, I offer this rendition from Lichfield Cathedral, where she and her husband are members: The best Advent hymn ever.)

Beautiful!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I live alone, but I did think of getting a small tree. Got one when I was in Ireland in 2001 and it brightened up the place...

I was living alone one year in a small flat and wanted a Christmas Tree. During a weekend in the mountains I cut a branch of manzanita, a tough plant with beautiful red bark that grows in dry areas. I simply screwed it to the wall at a convenient height so it didn't take up floor space, then tied wrapped lollies in different colors onto it for ornaments. It was sort of ball shaped, about 70cm across.

It was festive for months. I finally took it down in May - when the third leaf fell off the branch.

I'm sure there are some Australian shrubs that would do as well without water, at least through the season.

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

Several years ago a lovely older woman, a faithful member of my parish, had ‘Silent Night’ sung at her funeral. As she lay dying, her family had gathered around to sing, including many Christmas carols. Her favorite was always ‘Silent Night’ -- and she died while it was being sung. I still get teary-eyed thinking of her whenever it is sung.
We sang “Joy to the World” at my mother's late-February funeral. She loved Christmas, and she had very strong opinions about the mood she wanted at her funeral—joyfully confident in the grace of God and the resurrection. It fit perfectly.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have not celebrated Christmas at home for many years now, between traveling to ageing parents and new grandchildren. So I have gradually shed all the holiday ornaments and decor. However, I have charge of the holiday tree at the office, which I do differently every year. This year (it is an artificial tree) I wound it around with ten yards or so of criss-crossing red ribbon two inches wide; the ornaments go into the diamond-shaped gaps.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

We sang “Joy to the World” at my mother's late-February funeral. She loved Christmas, and she had very strong opinions about the mood she wanted at her funeral—joyfully confident in the grace of God and the resurrection. It fit perfectly.
I haven't given any specific instructions as to which songs to sing, but in my heart I hope that it occurs to somebody that "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" would be perfect...

Tidings of comfort and joy to you all.

--------------------

teddybear
Shipmate
# 7842

- Posted      Profile for teddybear   Author's homepage   Email teddybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For years I decorated, mainly because I thought it was expected of me. Finally got up the nerve to stop and never looked back. The most I do is tape the few Christmas cards I get to the side of my built in china cabinet. Don't miss it in the least and neither does the cat.

--------------------
My cooking blog: http://inthekitchenwithdon.blogspot.com/

Posts: 480 | From: Topeka, Kansas USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is our second, and last, Christmas in our temporary apartment digs. We have a main floor unit, and we try to keep the outside looking nice. We got a simple evergreen wreath for the main entrance door, and I also got one of those beribboned evergreen balls to hang on the shepherd's crook near the entrance where we had ap flowering basket this summer. On our apartment door we have an artificial Christmas wreath with tiny white battery operated lights that we turn on a couple hours in the evening. We just got a lighted artificial tree for our back patio...it's a bare- limbed style with the lights incorporated right in the branches, and it's very pretty. Nothing inside our apartment yet -- space is at a premium, so we keep it simple; also Don't want to have to paw through boxes in storage, looking for our Christmas bling.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today is the day appointed for the annual ceremony of Dropping The Christmas Tree on Jane R's Head.

We used to wait until just before Christmas to put the decorations up, but Husband needs the extra time to put his train set out - which he can't do until the tree is in place.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm holding out for "Helmsley." ...

We'll be finishing off the Advent procession with that this afternoon, complete with an outrageous (but actually very singable) descant* written by D. over thirty years ago when we lived in Orkney.

[Yipee]

* It starts on a major 7th, which you might think rather odd, but it works very well. [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We lit the first Advent candle on the special scandinavian stand at dinner this evening.

Cards are almost complete and ready for posting; presents are mostly bought and wrapping commences this week.

Puddings (2) and cake made; other food in freezer.

Outside lights will probably go up around the 16th/17th; the tree will come in on Christmas Eve, and the crib will also be put up then.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The 22 people in our church made a brave stab at it in the evening service! [Smile]
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Meant to write out Christmas cards today, but really didn't feel up to it. Tomorrow, perhaps.

We sang Helmsley as the Entrance Hymn this morning - really sets the Advent tone, IMHO.

IJ

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see God has decorated my back patio. The poinsettia I've had back there for four? five? years, and has almost died several times, is about three times taller than it was when it was a lovely church poinsettia. The bracts are coloring up very nicely, and it should be spectacular before too long! [Big Grin]

[spelink and brain turned off after cantata]

[ 03. December 2017, 21:34: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today I saw a car with cloth antlers. [Roll Eyes]

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Like this?

Rather fetching, IMHO...especially with the red nose as well.

IJ

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Like this?

Rather fetching, IMHO...especially with the red nose as well.

IJ

Antlers like that, but no red nose.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

I have started a pair of Advent calendars; the Mater's ancient Advent angels are set up on the mantle; I have lit the first Advent candle in the wreath; I have sung "Helmsley." (I've also sung all eight verses of "Veni, veni, Emmanuel," but "Lo, he comes" is my focus, hymn-wise.)

It is enough for now.

Fortunately, I don't have to think too much about Christmas yet - although I do need to think about mailing things to Alaska and the UK. Later this week, for sure - but, for now, I'm happy to anticipate.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Tamen:

Since 'Joy to the World' is Watts's metrical version of part of Psalm 98, there's no reason why it should be exclusive to Christmas. It is, though, very suitable for Christmas.

I want the Easter hymn 'Thine be the glory' at mine, whatever time of year it is.

Putting decorations up now - apart from specifically Advent ones like one's Advent calendar - is definitely Outrage. I noticed several lit trees in windows yesterday evening, but that doesn't excuse them from being Outrage.

Long ago, in ancient times - i.e. my childhood - they went up on Christmas Eve and came down on Twelfth Night. I confess with a certain amount of guilt that in this house these days standards have slipped. They go up about a week before Christmas. They still, though, come down in the evening on 5th January.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

The Hindu family across the street from me are the first family on our block to have their Christmas tree and outdoor Christmas lights up. It's very festive!

--------------------

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm "Bah Humbug" when it comes to decorations. Thankfully the kids like to get involved so it means I don't have to contribute, other than getting the box of decorations down from the loft and helping shift the furniture to make way for the tree.
I didn't even bother taking the lights off the outside tree last season - you don't see them once the tree is leaf - so hopefully they will still work, or only need a change of batteries.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

My only Advent "decoration" this year was changing the wallpaper image on my desktop computer to this (except I blacked out the white "Advent" -- I thought it looked nicer without it, and it's pretty self-evident that this is Advent).

--------------------
~Tortuf

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Excellent! Correct liturgical colours, too.
[Big Grin]

Christmas cards to write.....must leave computer.....

falalalalalalalalaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

IJ

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

I return, covered in Virtue, to report that the Christmas cards that need to be posted have now been written (distant family members, mostly).

It is now Dark Outside, so the journey to the Po Stoffis must wait until tomorrow...

...at which time, I might also (belatedly) purchase a small Advent Candle Bridge for the Palace window. [Eek!]

IJ

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No way during Advent - when it gets dark on Christmas Eve is the time for it.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

[Razz]

In Christian Love, of course.

IJ

--------------------

Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
I'm holding out for "Helmsley." ...

We'll be finishing off the Advent procession with that this afternoon, complete with an outrageous (but actually very singable) descant* written by D. over thirty years ago when we lived in Orkney.

[Yipee]

* It starts on a major 7th, which you might think rather odd, but it works very well. [Smile]

We sang the text twice yesterday. Morning Eucharist crowd got the less-loved tune in 1982 (St. Thomas, I believe,) and the crowd at the evening Advent carol service got to sing Helmsley. We also have a house descant for Helmsley, written by a former staff Tenor who is now an occasional substitute.

As for decorations, the Queen of Bashan somehow managed to put up three trees yesterday, one real and two artificial. (She works at a flour shop that does holiday decoration set-up for hire this time of year, so we can usually score some pretty good second-hand decorations for significant discount, if not for free, in January).

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

One of my greatest discoveries was that any tree that could fit into my VW Golf (or now VW GTI) is exactly the right height for my ceilings.
One of my friends from DC posted a pic of her boyfriend riding his bike, their house tree strapped to his back.

"My Hero," it's captioned.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

Crikey, Ariston - that is a bit heroic!

I'm going to have to invest in some spare light-bulbs for the candle-bridges; I noticed when putting them up that one of the lights on one bridge seemed to be much brighter than all the others, and sure enough, it blew last night.

It won't hurt to have some spares anyway.

I'm glad to report that the Nativity figures have been located - I didn't think that D. would have left them behind, as buying them was his idea.

--------------------

MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Advent calendar is up and running and we have also been using our Christmas themed mugs for coffee since the 1st.

First Sunday of Advent saw the Nativity characters appear in our sitting room. (The baby and manger are currently in the drinks cabinet) and the rest of them are making their way around the room heading for Bethlehem (on top of the drinks cabinet on Christmas Eve) [Biased]

The wreath and battered tin tray with Father Christmas on it will go up on the 6th. (My American roots are part Dutch)
The tree and all other greenery/bows/ ornaments always go up on 17th to mark the start of the O Antiphons

I just love this time of waiting. [Smile]

The argument in our family is about when the Christmas decorations should come down!

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by MrsBeaky:
The baby and manger are currently in the drinks cabinet.

[Eek!] Is the Child Protection Service (or whatever you call them in your part of the world) aware of this?

--------------------
~Tortuf

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016