homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Deck the Halls or Whatever. (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Deck the Halls or Whatever.
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My grandchildren came round on the afternoon of Advent Sunday and decorated my tree as they do each year. This is a very special time with all the children and is followed by a pizza party and enjoyment for all.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
I'm holding out for "Helmsley."

(In honor of my beloved Shipmate Margaret, I offer this rendition from Lichfield Cathedral, where she and her husband are members: The best Advent hymn ever.)

Another one checking in as associated with Lichfield Cathedral! Fab choir!
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St Everild:
...Fab choir!

I enjoyed hearing them the Sunday I was there!

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by MrsBeaky:
The baby and manger are currently in the drinks cabinet.

[Eek!] Is the Child Protection Service (or whatever you call them in your part of the world) aware of this?
I was thinking it was a novel way of getting the baby to go to sleep ... [Big Grin]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Piglet:
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:
Originally posted by MrsBeaky:
The baby and manger are currently in the drinks cabinet.

[Eek!] Is the Child Protection Service (or whatever you call them in your part of the world) aware of this?
I was thinking it was a novel way of getting the baby to go to sleep ... [Big Grin]
[Killing me]

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No problem - he can't reach to unscrew the bottles. [Big Grin]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Ębleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Perhaps the Beaky household has something like this tantalus.

[Help]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Despite D's general bah-humbugness when it comes to decorations, he actually made a suggestion on the subject yesterday.

We were given a star ornament (about 6 inches across) last Christmas and he suggested putting it on the top of the tree. Alas, it's too heavy - I did try tying it to the top branch, but it was having none of it - but we agreed that it could be hung from the middle of the curtain-pole, which should work quite well.

--------------------

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to add a touch of reality to Yuletide: my decorations cost me nothing because I have none. Not anything.

This is because everywhere I go, my eyes are assaulted by decorations of the Hall. In my small corner of this huge complex where I am currently warehoused are three trees and much more. It's enough to make the Baby Jesus cry.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
I'm holding out for "Helmsley."

(In honor of my beloved Shipmate Margaret, I offer this rendition from Lichfield Cathedral, where she and her husband are members: The best Advent hymn ever.)

What? With its blaming the Jews for nailing Jesus to a tree and deeply wailing?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That can be interpreted in different ways, or the words can be changed. Nothing can alter the incredibly wonderful tune.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

With apologies to the purists out there, the halls chez Piglet have now been decked.

There were so many pretty trees lit up on our way into town this evening that I thought, sod it, I'm putting up the tree and whatnot.

Sadly, the lights on the "whatnot" bit have decided they don't work, so we haven't got the garland bedecking the curtain-rail. Maybe it's feeling redundant because in the old château it decorated the stair-rods, and the new one hasn't got any ... [Paranoid]

No matter: the new tree looks really nice (with the Nativity figures on the window-sill coming from more-or-less the right direction), as does the little tree on a corner table in the dining-room.

Piglet, beginning to feel decidedly festive [Smile]

--------------------

Philip Charles

Ship's cutler
# 618

- Posted      Profile for Philip Charles   Author's homepage   Email Philip Charles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Stan Freberg speaks for me. Bah! Humbug!

--------------------
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Posts: 89 | From: Dunedin, NZ | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Warning - you may need a bucket.

Slightly changing the subject but not much. Is this 'The Cat Carol 2017' the worst Christmas song you have encountered? Not sure whether it belongs in Heaven or Hell, but for the pleasure it can bring for all the reasons unintended by whoever wrote and sang it, feel Heaven is almost deserved.

It has the lot:-
- Bad theology.
- Bad natural history.
- Bad astronomy.
- Doesn't rhyme.
- Doesn't scan.
- Words don't fit music.
- Saccharine sentiment to a new and hitherto unattained level.
- Tune so sentimental that it will become for you an unwelcome ear worm.

Or does my inability to be moved as the singer and songwriter presumably between them intended, shock you? Does it indicate that there's something badly wrong with me, that my soul has become just too jaded?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Gosh, Enoch, that's gawdawful. (And I love cats.)

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hasten Jason bring the basin. Too late, bring the mop. [Projectile]

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chez Nen the decorations went up yesterday. For the last few years we've had a real tree but this year are deliberately doing things a bit differently so have dug out the old artificial one we used when the children were younger. It scrubs up quite well. [Smile]

I've been wrapping presents this afternoon. We've had a bit of snow so everything feels nicely festive.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:

I want the Easter hymn 'Thine be the glory' at mine, whatever time of year it is.

I chose it for my mother's and I intend to have it at mine. How can your argue with "Endless is the victory thou o'er death hast won".

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have just finished putting up my tree, and other decorations in my apartment. The saddest thing I had to do was take off the two name stockings of my two cats who died this year from the ribbon I hang the stockings from. [Tear]

But everything looks lovely and I am ready to start the season right.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

(((Nicole)))

I lit the second Advent candle today.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tree is up, but lights will not come on until Christmas Eve, when baby arrives in manger. Gifts are wrapped, and those going by post are mailed. Cookies are baked and hidden in the freezer.
I am done, now for a quiet and peaceful ending of Advent, as soon as I finish cleaning up the mess of making peanut brittle. I had forgotten what a sticky mess it makes everything. UGG

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The lights went on the house at the start of November, on a -10°C day. They get turned on timer on 12 November by tradition, which is the day after Remebrance Day. The sun is rising just in advance of 10am and setting 4pm, so for cheerfulness we like them on. They generally keep going until the start of Lent.

The tree: up on Sunday. We host 29 on Friday for my office Xmas party. Has to be up for that. Family supper with the more kids the better. Presents? Unimportant. Next week there's a 9 lessons and carols which is really one of my highlights. Being a sap even thinking of it brings tears to my eyes. Does anyone else react like that to such things? Probably would seem a little odd to many: starts in Cree with drumming and an honour song, which is incredibly moving to the likes of me.

Elsewhere is posted about Vivaldi's Gloria. The very thought of that moves me similarly. This was part of a baroque series last year. Encroyable! (Incredible!) how someone can pray with pure sound like that. Beyond imagination.

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I moved here seven years ago, I treated myself to genuine tree candle holders - the weighted kind, not clip-ons. Since then, I've never spent a Christmas at home, so, barring cards and some festive greenery, decorations don't happen. No doubt the day will come...

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Ębleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016