homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  New poll  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » The Simmies 2009   » Introduction and questions (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Introduction and questions
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hello and welcome to The Simmies, named after the illustrious St Simeon the Holy Fool, our patron saint. We're launching these annual awards to honour the comedians, educators, saints, board addicts and nutjobs who hang out on the Ship and make this such a rewarding and infuriating place to be. And we're hoping that you'll tell us who deserves each of our 14 awards, which are...

Shipmate of the Year
Newbie of the Year
Host of the Year

Best Thread
Best Post
Best OP
Best Quote
Best Sig
Best Avatar

Theologian of the Year
Wit of the Year
Hell Denizen of the Year
Lamest Hell thread
Best Putdown

Just a few points about this board's posting protocol.

1. Each of the awards has its own thread. The threads are for nominations and also for comment and discussion, all mixed in together.

2. To make the nominations stand out, they need to be posted using a specific format. The correct format is given in the OP of each thread. Please follow this procedure or your nomination may be deleted.

3. As normal, please adhere to the 10 Commandments for all the threads.

4. The rules for The Simmies are here.

This thread is for posts about the awards in general and how they're run.

[ 16. December 2008, 23:22: Message edited by: Simon ]

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This could be most interesting.
Do winners get to make a speech, which'll be drowned out by the band if they exceed (x) characters?

<sits back with popcorn> [Biased]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Could we spell out OP in full please?

(Not that I am junior hosting!!)

Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Interesting! [Big Grin]
Aside from pondering my own views, I know I'm going to have to do my own little prediction list of who I reckon the Ship will vote for in each category. I'll award myself a very large bar of chocolate if I get 'em all right!

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
JonahMan
Shipmate
# 12126

- Posted      Profile for JonahMan   Email JonahMan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Isn't this a bit like having 'Member ratings' - which we hate?

--------------------
Thank God for the aged
And old age itself, and illness and the grave
For when you're old, or ill and particularly in the coffin
It's no trouble to behave

Posts: 914 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
May someone nominate more than one person for a category?

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Now I know why most Oscar nominations are from the fall. I have trouble remembering what I had for breakfast today let alone that great thread that what's-his-name started back in the spring. Or was it summer?

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post 
Where's the thread for Crabby Old Bastard of the Year???

I'd like to nominate Gort for something.

--------------------
Still pretty Amazing, but no longer Mavis.

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Left at the Altar:

Are those two comments connected in any way, one wonders?
[Paranoid]

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
luvanddaisies: Yes, winners will get to make a speech. Expect tearful thanks to named shipmates, family members and pets.

FreeJack: OK... OP is now spelled out. Thanks for the suggestion.

JonahMan: Not really. This is just once a year, after all.

Amazing Grace: Yes, nominating more than one person for a category is fine. I know it can be hard to choose for some categories.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Sine Nomine

Ship's backstabbing bastard
# 66

- Posted      Profile for Sine Nomine   Email Sine Nomine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is this just a glory thing or are there any cash benefits?

--------------------
Precious, Precious, Sweet, Sweet Daddy...

Posts: 16639 | From: lat. 36.24/lon. 86.84 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sine Nomine:
Is this just a glory thing or are there any cash benefits?

Depends on how much you can flog the trophy for on Ebay, I guess... [Biased]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wairua

Shipmate
# 3912

- Posted      Profile for Wairua   Email Wairua   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
or if you nominate on receipt of bribes . . .
Posts: 709 | From: aotearoa | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Genevičve

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Genevičve   Email Genevičve   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Or follow the illustrious Blago's example to "keep the ***** thing" and nominate yourself!

ETA: Maybe we could have a category for Shippie who uses edit the most. I think I wouldnominate myself for that. It would be a mysterious award--is it a compliment or a putdown? [Biased]

[ 11. December 2008, 14:42: Message edited by: Genevičve ]

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Posts: 4336 | From: Eastern US | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Simon:
board addicts and nutjobs

Ridicule us and we come begging for more.

Genius.

(Yes, I'm still vying for The Golden Asshat. I could die happy. [Yipee] )

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does the winner of the Golden Asshat award actually win an asshat?
I'd like to see what one looks like, wonder if I can really piss some people off between now and Hogmanay...

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Are the St Simeon Trophies mugs which haven't been sold yet?

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mjg:
quote:
board addicts and nutjobs

Ridicule us and we come begging for more.

Genius.

(Yes, I'm still vying for The Golden Asshat. I could die happy. [Yipee] )

You are really going to have to raise your game this month, then. Sure, you annoy a few people sometimes, but we are talking serious, dyed-in-the-wool, A-list annoyers here. You are not exactly there yet.

Sorry, hon.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If someone has already been nominated, does one put in a second nomination if one agrees?

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Left at the Altar:

I knew someone cared! [Axe murder]

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post 
You knows I luvs Ya baby. [Biased]

--------------------
Still pretty Amazing, but no longer Mavis.

Simon

Editor
# 1

quote:
Originally posted by Arabella Purity Winterbottom:
If someone has already been nominated, does one put in a second nomination if one agrees?

Ideally, if you're agreeing with an existing nomination, you could simply add an ordinary post to second it, but add some reasons why you think the person/thread/whatever deserves it. The people judging the nominations will take note of what's been said in support of them, so feel free to make the case.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Anselm
Shipmate
# 4499

- Posted      Profile for Anselm   Email Anselm   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Are we allowed to nominate and vote for our own sockpuppets?

--------------------
carpe diem domini
...seize the day to play dominoes?

Posts: 2544 | From: The Scriptorium | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

quote:
Originally posted by Anselm:
Are we allowed to nominate and vote for our own sockpuppets?

[Killing me]
Actually... there's an idea [Snigger]

--------------------

JonahMan
Shipmate
# 12126

- Posted      Profile for JonahMan   Email JonahMan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
JonahMan: Not really. This is just once a year, after all.

And if you have sex just once a year, you are still a virgin.

--------------------
Thank God for the aged
And old age itself, and illness and the grave
For when you're old, or ill and particularly in the coffin
It's no trouble to behave

Posts: 914 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At least you wouldn't be a slut.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Maybe there needs to be an award for Most Blatant Attention Whore?

(ETA cause, like, some folks the sublime, and some folks have sublimation.)

[ 12. December 2008, 01:47: Message edited by: Janine ]

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Do we get to vote on a selection of nominees at some point or is it being decided by a group of people? (All the hosts? A select few?) If the latter - will our input make a lot of difference?!
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Academy will vote on the winner, based on the nominations. The quality of supporting evidence offered on a thread will certainly influence their decisions.

'frin
Host of The Shippies

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Re: The nomination for Best Putdown for Zappa - who can't be nominated as a host - could they not be nominated if they're posting on another board in a non-hostly capacity? Or do we feel they have an unfair advantage in getting too many opportunities to practice, as hosts!

[ETA: aren't the awards the Simmies, not the Shippies?]

[ 12. December 2008, 09:23: Message edited by: Chelley ]

--------------------
"What's good about sad?"

frin

# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hosts, admins, and admins emeriti (pedants, please advise) cannot be nominated because all will be part of the Academy and thus vote on the nominations in each category. The exception is the Best Host award, for which hosts may be nominated and which will be decided by you, the ship of fools public.

'frin

--------------------

Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

Oh yes, thanks 'frin - didn't think of the voting part (even though I read the rules!).

--------------------
"What's good about sad?"

Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

- Posted      Profile for Jason™   Author's homepage   Email Jason™   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
PSA: Just reminding you all that I am not currently a host, so you can stop worrying about whether you can nominate me for pretty much every category.
Posts: 4123 | From: Land of Mary | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jason™

Host emeritus
# 9037

- Posted      Profile for Jason™   Author's homepage   Email Jason™   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Question:

Is there a list of all current hosts somewhere? Some people probably don't post on all boards and may not realize who is a host and who isn't, and I've just had a look and haven't found any such list.

Posts: 4123 | From: Land of Mary | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I guess anyone who wants to can just look at the heading of each Board.

I also wonder whether people will want to vote for Hosts they never actually encounter in their posting lives!

--------------------

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
frin

# 9

I suggest you nominate whoever you like for awards. If you nominate a host, then the nomination will be counted as ineligible. If you nominate a non-host for host of the year, then you will deserve all the howling smilies [Killing me] heaped upon you.

'frin

--------------------

babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Could someone explain to me why it is "The Simmies 2009"? Why is it not 2008 when that is the qualifying period? [Confused]
Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

quote:
Originally posted by frin:
I suggest you nominate whoever you like for awards. If you nominate a host, then the nomination will be counted as ineligible. If you nominate a non-host for host of the year, then you will deserve all the howling smilies [Killing me] heaped upon you.

'frin

Though one could certainly make such an honest mistake by nominating a long-serving host who has stepped down...

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
Could someone explain to me why it is "The Simmies 2009"? Why is it not 2008 when that is the qualifying period? [Confused]

Don't you remember receiving "annuals" every Christmas? On December 25 1965 one could receive the "Dandy" Annual 1966 (I didn't, I got the Eagle and I guess you got the Bunty Annual).

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
quote:

'frin

Though one could certainly make such an honest mistake by nominating a long-serving host who has stepped down...
Actually, additional to this, is it only current Hosts who can be nominated, or can Shipmates nominate those who have worked at some point during 2008 even if they have retired?

--------------------

FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Could I also suggest we rename/renumber the competition as The Simmies 2008 please?
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Don't you remember receiving "annuals" every Christmas? On December 25 1965 one could receive the "Dandy" Annual 1966 (I didn't, I got the Eagle and I guess you got the Bunty Annual).

I didn't, I had to wait to be born, and then wait a few years to learn to how to read before I got annuals.

I remember being very disappointed to see that for some reason the Blue Peter annual was showing the wrong year. In the annual there was a review of lots of things that had happened in the year , but they had given the annual the next year's date.

With things like the Beano it didn't matter as the annual was simply a big, hard-backed comic, and wasn't a review of the year just gone.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lots of Yay

Cookies enabled
# 2790

- Posted      Profile for Lots of Yay   Author's homepage   Email Lots of Yay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
11. Only shipmates with live accounts (i.e. not banned or suspended)
during the nomination period and at the time of the online presentation
ceremony may be considered for an award.

I only have one account. Does that mean I don't get a prize?

Hahahaha I'm hilarious [Killing me]

--------------------
Current status: idle
Tales of Variable Yayness
Photos of stuff. Including Pooka!

Posts: 2006 | From: the plasticine room | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jel
Apprentice
# 9755

- Posted      Profile for Jel   Email Jel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
quote:

'frin

Posts: 40 | From: Brussels | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Maybe if the host who had stepped down had served during 2008, they'd still be eligible. Simon or admins?

--------------------

Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think there should be a category for "Shipmate Who Doesn't Post Much Anymore and I Really Miss Him/Her." [Smile]

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm struggling to think who to nominate since there are so many great posters.

Maybe this is further complicated by the fact that I have no relationship with any other shipmates in RL. I find it interesting how many nominations are based on meeting the shipmate in RL. I think it goes to show that there is no substitute for the real thing. (I don't know how to do that trademark symbol thingy.)

Just a thought.

Posts: 6834 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pooks
Shipmate
# 11425

- Posted      Profile for Pooks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lots of Yay:
Hahahaha I'm hilarious [Killing me]

Yay, you are. I still can't help myself giggling everytime I scroll past this post. [Big Grin]
frin

# 9

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Maybe if the host who had stepped down had served during 2008, they'd still be eligible. Simon or admins?

That sounds reasonable.

'frin
Simmies Host

--------------------

Simon

Editor
# 1

This has also been posted in the Styx...

We're going to make three changes to the awards which will hopefully put them in the mischievous, entertaining area they were intended for.

1. We're dropping the Asshat award entirely. Personally, this is a bit of a blow, as FD generously nominated me, but I'm sure I'll get over it. We've been looking at ways to make the thread an outpost of Hell, or to reframe the award as being for the most asshat moment rather than person, but I think dropping the award over the side is the simplest and cleanest option. Apologies to those who spent time nominating on that thread, but it's locked now and will disappear later today.

2. The vote for the winner of each category is now going to be public and open to everyone. This means abolishing the Principalities and Powers aspect of the rules and putting all the awards to a public poll (one per thread) once the nominations process is complete. Which means that everyone, including the Hosts and Admins, can now nominate and be nominated. I think that will be a genuine improvement.

3. We're going to lose the Junior Hosting category, to avoid the possible spectacle of Hosts attacking their wannabe counterparts. We were going to lose the Hell Denizen category, as no one's been nominating for it, but I don't want to fluffify the whole thing too much. There are some strong contenders, so I hope nominations will start to flood in.

The rules will be changed sometime this evening.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  New poll   Close thread   Unfeature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016