homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  New poll  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » The Simmies 2009   » Wit of the Year

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Wit of the Year
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Who has most deservedly had their posts applauded with [Snigger] or even [Killing me] ? Whose posts catch your eye as you scroll down the page and make you stop for their comedy value alone? Now's your chance to reward them with more than smilies... give them what they deserve and make them Wit of the Year.

When nominating on this thread, please follow the format shown in the next post. If you don't have all the info you need to complete the nomination fields, you're not yet ready to nominate. Just make a regular post asking for the help of others in finding what you're looking for.

How to find out the URL for an individual post: go to the post and find the tiny page icon which is just to the left of the date (at the top of the post). Right-click the icon (or on a Mac, control-click it) and select "copy link" from the dropdown menu. You can now paste the link URL into your nomination.

Please note: Your nomination post should simply contain your nomination and nothing else.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: Shipmate's board name

For: Wit of the Year

Wit's best post: Insert clickable link to your favourite post by the Wit here

My reasons for nominating: Your comments in full here

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Left at the Altar

Ship's Siren
# 5077

- Posted      Profile for Left at the Altar         Edit/delete post 
I nominate: KenWritez

Wit's best post: Hard to pick from so many, but this one:

quote:

Strange.

You called God "strange."

That is so...so...so...offensive I am speechless. Thus I voice my outrage in interpretive dance:

xxx
............. x pause
.... x ......... ... .. . spin spin spin ...
................. leap .........................
... pause ..... x x x ....x x.... spin ....
.......... leap .......... ..... ..... ..... ..
.... ... pause ... ... .. . xx
............. spin spin spin .. x
..... spin spin .. x
... spin . x
x

So there.

My reasons for nominating: Back from extended leave for only a short time, Ken's in fine form, as usual. The funniest bloke aboard.

[edited for clarity]

[ 11. December 2008, 16:00: Message edited by: frin ]

--------------------
Still pretty Amazing, but no longer Mavis.

Potoroo
Shipmate
# 13466

- Posted      Profile for Potoroo     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Seconded.

--------------------
Gilbert's Potoroo is Australia's most endangered animal.

Posts: 2778 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: Sine Nomine

Wit's best post:

Difficult to choose. I really want to enter the Ask Sine thread, but as that's 2006 and an entire thread I suppose it doesn't count.

Recent post.

My reasons for nominating:

His posts are consistently witty and his use of language skilled and graceful. He usually manages to sum up a situation or a poster pretty neatly - and shrewdly. Sine has style and quality, and should definitely be nominated.

Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I second Ariel's proposal. Sine's post are always a joy to read; he lifts any thread by his presence there.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I third Sine [Cool]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yup - has to be Sine for this one.
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Do all the additional nominators feel that the wittiest post has been picked and linked to?

Supporting examples would be interesting.

'frin

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Potoroo
Shipmate
# 13466

- Posted      Profile for Potoroo     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by frin:
Supporting examples would be interesting.

Supporting example for KenWritez here.

--------------------
Gilbert's Potoroo is Australia's most endangered animal.

Posts: 2778 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Supporting quotes are great and I'm sure there are dozens of excellent examples for both candidates, but as a Sine Nomine backer, I would like to point out that many of his wittiest posts have been spontaneous, in the moment, quips that would require reading the entire thread to "get." Even better if you happened to be reading the thread as it posted, so you could appreciate the sheer speed of Sine's quirky brain.

That's not to say I haven't read entire threads out loud to my family just so they would be able to "get" Sine's comment and they always think it's worth it.

FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
When I have a moment to look for evidence, I would nominate Spiffy.
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: The Coiled Spring

Wit's best post: Insert clickable link to your favourite post by the Wit here

I can't find it but someone may help. It is the one about "Matey Ben" The dog with the bishop's hat. Can some one help?

My reasons for nominating: Made me giggle for days.

[ 15. December 2008, 07:40: Message edited by: frin ]

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can't help with the dog but have a photo of the gorilla that stayed at Coiled Spring's guesthouse.

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I sixth Sine, for consistent wit.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pooks
Shipmate
# 11425

- Posted      Profile for Pooks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Heh, just had a thought. If the winner of the Wit of the Year is full of wit, does that mean those who were nominated but didn't win are half-wits and the rest of us are dim-wits?

Ok sorry, I am out of here.

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Fourth is with KenWritez.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pooks:
Heh, just had a thought. If the winner of the Wit of the Year is full of wit, does that mean those who were nominated but didn't win are half-wits and the rest of us are dim-wits?

Depends on whether you see your brain as half full, or half empty. It is dark in there, so its hard to see.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pooks
Shipmate
# 11425

- Posted      Profile for Pooks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pearl B4 Swine:
quote:
Originally posted by Pooks:

Depends on whether you see your brain as half full, or half empty. It is dark in there, so its hard to see.
[Biased]
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: Comet

Wit's best post: ho ho ho

My reasons for nominating: As much as I hate it when people choose nominations from the last few days rather than bothering to hunt through a year's worth of posts, this one made me LOL after a busy day. Comet, IMO, has just the right blend of cantankerousness blended with wit to make her posts worth reading for their amusement as well as for the point she is trying to make.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I nominate: Gildas

Wit's best post: So many choices... but I'll go for the one that I quotesfiled. potted history of Russia

My reasons for nominating: Gildas is a particularly English wit, ISTM. One of those people with a vast knowledge of everything who doubles up as a great raconteur and tells you about everything with dry, sardonic English irony. Gildas gets my vote for being witty while talking about serious things.

[fixed link]

[ 19. January 2009, 14:15: Message edited by: Scot ]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thanks for that link, Lady in Red, I missed that thread utterly, and that little piece of Russian history was simply marvellous reading! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I seventh SINE . The man is quite shamelessly hysterical on most every occasion and can lay you low with just one perfectly worded sentence.

AND

i fifth KENWRITEZ because I still remember him writing his wedding vows a week before the ceremony and shopping with him for a present for the Wench. Then his story threads are so appreciated. We need more story threads!!!!

[Axe murder] I love these men so much.

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
pimple

Ship's Irruption
# 10635

- Posted      Profile for pimple   Email pimple   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm for COMET - brevity being the soul, an' all.

--------------------
In other words, just because I made it all up, doesn't mean it isn't true (Reginald Hill)

Posts: 8018 | From: Wonderland | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  New poll   Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016