homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  New poll  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » The Simmies 2009   » Best Sig

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Best Sig
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can you wow the world in just four lines? Is there a sig out there which just blows the rest away? Tell us here. Eligible sigs are ideally current. Sigs which are not current, but which are claimed to have appeared during 2008, will need at least two shipmates to verify the claim on this thread.

When nominating on this thread, please follow the format shown in the next post. Your post should simply contain your nomination and nothing else.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: Shipmate's board name

For: Best Sig

Sig: Enter sig text here

My reasons for nominating: Your comments in full here

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: Pimple

Sig: "Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods" (Einstein?)

My reasons for nominating: Pimple borrowed it from a post I made in Purg and I hope to bask in reflected glory. Also, it summarizes my position on egotistical spiritual judgment and my one direct experience of the godhead.

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: Myself, Lyda*Rose

Sig: Maybe we should just stop trying to eff the ineffable. ~Timothy the Obscure

My reasons for nominating: I've really liked this line since I first read it. I had thought that Timothy had used it for his own sig, but I was mistaken. He told me that he thought he'd used it in one of the trinitarian discussions perhaps last year. So I couldn't nominate it as a quote since it might be out of the time range and we had no idea where it was anyway. But since I'm using it as my sig now, it's up for this nomination.

Timothy's a quiet guy, but he usually has some thoughts well worth reading.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
marmot

Mountain mammal
# 479

- Posted      Profile for marmot   Email marmot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate Lyda*Rose, too, but for this sig;

quote:
This is simply a reminder that what we are called to is not our stuff. ~Brother Joseph Brown on the loss by fire of Mt. Calvary Retreat House

--------------------
Join me in "The Legion of Bad Monkeys"

Posts: 2754 | From: The land of Saint Damien | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Thank you, marmot. [Smile]

My heart broke when I saw Mt. Calvary's smoking remains on the news. But trust those wise monks to eke some lemonade out of pitiful lemons.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nomination:

I nominate: Honest Ron Bacardi

For Best Sig:

Sig: "Anglo-cthulhic"

Reason: The spectacular double-take I did about three posts later when Mr Brain convinced Mr & Mrs Eyeballs what they'd really just read.

AG

[ 15. December 2008, 08:48: Message edited by: Sandemaniac ]

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I agree Anglo-Cthulhic is a great sig.

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zwingli
Shipmate
# 4438

- Posted      Profile for Zwingli   Email Zwingli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anglo-Cthulic is clever, though it would work better as a title.
Zwingli
Shipmate
# 4438

- Posted      Profile for Zwingli   Email Zwingli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: leo

Sig: "A good catholic is not one who wears vestments and hates nonconformists but one who wears Christ and loves everyone."

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know this isn't the sort of sig you're looking for, but I'm a complete sucker for the georgeous "Baby pictures!!!" in Bullfrog's sig line. Total heart-melt.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zwingli:
NOMINATION

Sig: "A good catholic is not one who wears vestments and hates nonconformists but one who wears Christ and loves everyone."

Cheers - though I have occasionally been bought to book when I have posted something that contradicts its sentiments.
Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zwingli
Shipmate
# 4438

Several times I've read it and thought that I should apply it to myself - though in reverse, if you know what I mean. Which is sort of why I nominated it - it speaks to me, even though it isn't aimed at me

[ 17. December 2008, 00:00: Message edited by: Zwingli ]

JB

Independent Thinker
# 1776

- Posted      Profile for JB   Email JB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I Nominate: Moo

Sig: Two pints make one cavort.

Simple, funny, and completely true.

--------------------
You live, you learn
You learn, you live

Posts: 2588 | From: Land of Enchantment | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: Rat

Sig: Ring the bells that can still ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in
(Leonard Cohen)

My reasons for nominating: This was inspirational at a time I needed inspiring. It introduced me to a Leonard Cohen song I didn't know, and provided another 'quotable quote' for my classroom wall.

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nomination

I nominate: Seeker 963

Sig: "Faith is not a work. It is a being present when a revelation takes place." Stephen Sykes The Story of Atonement

To me this is simple and profound. And I happen to think that Sykes is an under-rated modern theologian, but that's another story.

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION: Petros

Just because you don't know what's going on doesn't necessarily mean that someone else does.

Reasons: There are so many excellent ones on board but this has caught my eye recently and puts a smile on my face whenever I see it - and is, of course, so very, very true.

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nomination: Sir Kevin

For: Best sig

See below:

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: Rev per Minute

Sig: "If God had meant women to play Doctor Who, then Jesus wouldn't have just chosen men to be his disciples. Or something like that." (comment on Guardian website)

My reasons for nominating: It's good on so many levels - pure amusement factor, and then the load of other levels that I really can't express adequately! [Overused]

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I guess my sig is a little too much for liberals. [Snigger]

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chelley:
NOMINATION

I nominate: Rev per Minute

Sig: "If God had meant women to play Doctor Who, then Jesus wouldn't have just chosen men to be his disciples. Or something like that." (comment on Guardian website)

My reasons for nominating: It's good on so many levels - pure amusement factor, and then the load of other levels that I really can't express adequately! [Overused]

I've always loved it as well. Seconded.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: Angloid

For:

Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

--------------------
The fact that no one understands you does not make you an artist.
(unknown)

Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I came asking for help. There's another sig I'd like to nominate but I can't remember the exact words, nor to whom it belongs.

It's something like, "If I were a bird, I would sing the song of a bird ... but I am a man so I sing praises to God."

eta: I did look for it but I got dizzy scrolling all around.

[ 25. December 2008, 01:25: Message edited by: Angel Wrestler ]

--------------------
(unknown)

Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Zappa:

quote:
If, indeed, I were a nightingale, I should be singing as a nightingale; if a swan, as a swan. But as it is, I am a rational being, therefore I must be singing hymns of praise to God. (Epictetus: Diss 1.16.20).
Do I get chocolate for being helpful?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Beautiful Dreamer
Shipmate
# 10880

- Posted      Profile for Beautiful Dreamer   Author's homepage   Email Beautiful Dreamer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zwingli:
NOMINATION

Agreed, this is an awesome sig, as well as an idea that would apply to every denomination.

--------------------
More where that came from
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Posts: 6028 | From: Outside Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
Zappa:

quote:
If, indeed, I were a nightingale, I should be singing as a nightingale; if a swan, as a swan. But as it is, I am a rational being, therefore I must be singing hymns of praise to God. (Epictetus: Diss 1.16.20).
Do I get chocolate for being helpful?
Thank you! And sure, you can have some chocolate ; dig in!

--------------------
(unknown)

Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Ye Olde Motherboarde:
I guess my sig is a little too much for liberals. [Snigger]

Conversely, mine is a little too much for the conservatives.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  New poll   Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016