homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  New poll  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » The Simmies 2009   » Best Quote

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Best Quote
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Shipmates have been cutting and pasting bits of text from the posts of other shipmates for years and turning them into sigs, quotes and (who knows?) lucrative packs of Christmas cards. Now it's time to find out who gave good quote in 2008. Which one-liner, or more, authored by a shipmate, stands out for you as the best of the year? Note: the quote must be from the body of the post, and not from the sig.

When nominating on this thread, please follow the format shown in the next post. If you don't have all the info you need to complete the nomination fields, you're not yet ready to nominate. Just make a regular post asking for the help of others in finding what you're looking for.

How to find out the URL for an individual post: go to the post and find the tiny page icon which is just to the left of the date (at the top of the post). Right-click the icon (or on a Mac, control-click it) and select "copy link" from the dropdown menu. You can now paste the link URL into your nomination.

Please note: Your nomination post should simply contain your nomination and nothing else.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: Shipmate's board name

For: Best Quote

On the thread: Thread title

Quote URL: Insert clickable link to the post containing the nominated quote

My reasons for nominating: Your comments in full here

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: Sine Nomine

On the thread: "Andrew" vs. Mother Theresa, MLK Jr., and Dietrich Bonhoeffer!

Quote URL: Sometimes it's difficult to strike exactly the right balance with "I respect you as a person but you're wrong and are going to burn in Hell."

My reasons for nominating: I think it names the elephant in the room for quite a lot of theological debate - and it's pithy. What's not to love ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I nominate: Nigel M

On the Thread: EXODUS: The Bible Non-Stop

Quote URL: Exodus 15:14-21

Are you listening earth? Will ya give us wide berth?
Are you aching and shaking, quaking in your waking?
Those in our way, are you up to the fray?
Shake in your shoes, I've got some bad news
You don't get to choose you just get to lose
See, I'm talking 'bout who's going to give ya the bruise.

[Ba-Da-Boom-Boom-Tish; Ba-Da-Boom-Boom-Tish; Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Bom (pause, pause, “Hey!”)]

My Man, you ain't no wuss, you get the job done - no fuss.
We just roam the loam while you stroll us home.
You got us a block where we can flock and rock;
A luxury that's fuzz-free, a place where we can be
together with you, it's true, your pad with a view.
No rent, no alien master; you say “Mi case es su casa.”

[Ba-Da-Boom-Boom-Tish; Ba-Da-Boom-Boom-Tish; Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Bom (pause, pause, “Yo!”)]

And now, little children, once again in case your attention wandered and you forgot the plot in all the excitement: I-AM-IN-VARIOUS-TENSES-WITH-YOU threw them back into the waters, where the entire 4th Ankh Armoured Brigade, formerly “The Desert Scarabs”, drowned. Not a single scarab was left alive. The Sons-of-God-Struggler, however, had sneaked through on the dry bit, with walls of water on either side, wondering why they just didn't get a boat. Got it?

Now Arum-Love the Proclaimer (sister of Light-Bringer and Pride of the Tribe) was an expert in the ancient martial art of Tambourine (black belt, 3rd Dan). She whipped it out and adopted the “She-who-pauses-in-mid-air-for-effect” posture, before kicking in with a hearty “To me, sisters!”

Yup. Up went the Daughters-of-God-Struggler with a mighty “Whoop!” and off we go again...

[Daughters of God-Struggler lay down the rhythm]
Ba-Da-Boom-Boom-Tish; Ba-Da-Boom-Boom-Tish...

[Arum-Love jacks it up]
Yo. On my pace an' gimme space I'm givin' place to the Face
He's the Man with the plan he's the ace in deep space.
See him swank on the bank where he plank'd the blank tank....

Light-Bringer groaned. “It's going to be a long walk” he moaned.

“What was that, brother?” Called Drawn-Out above the din.

“I said, Are we There yet?”

My reasons for nominating: As those of you who are geeky enough to participate know, there is currently a paraphrase of the bible in progress in Kerygmania. So far we've got one thread of GENESIS (I think it's back to page 8 now) and one on EXODUS still in progress. Given the nature and appropriateness of the work to The Ship, I figured there had to be at least some posts worthy of mention (and indeed there are many).

Nigel M in particular has stood out to me as a poster who can take the most banal legalism out of Exodus, and, with an ingenius combination of erudition and humor, make it both comprehensible and funny. He has had many excellent contributions to that thread, so there were many to choose from, but the rendition of the Song of Moses stood out to me, of which this is the final chunk, with some narration. Just the image of Moses rapping on the far of the Sea of Reeds makes it worthwhile.

I humbly submit this for your consideration.

--Bullfrog (formerly mirrizin)

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rosa Gallica officinalis
Shipmate
# 3886

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Gallica officinalis   Email Rosa Gallica officinalis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wow. I had no idea you had fun in kerygmania. [Overused]

--------------------
Come for tea, come for tea, my people.

Posts: 874 | From: The Hemlock Hideout | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't think an entire post is classed as a quote. You might want to enter it on the "best post" thread instead...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ooohh, Marvin, are you angling for a nomination in the Best Junior Hosting category? [Biased]
Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I decided within about three seconds of reading the intro/rules that nominating myself for an award would be far too egomanaical, even for me. Doesn't stop me tailoring my posts in the next few weeks towards one or more of them though [Biased]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
I don't think an entire post is classed as a quote. You might want to enter it on the "best post" thread instead...

Yeah, you're right. Posted appropriately. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: Spiffy (of Wondersheep fame)

quote:
There are people on this board who would stand in front of the neon blinking sign pointing to the duck while holding Harper's Compleat Duck Identifier of the World (and how to tell them from drakes and goslings) open to the illustrated plates and still wouldn't know the duck even after it beaned them in the head with an egg.

My reason for nominating:

First off, Spiffy has proven herself to be a highly quotable shipmate-- evidence of this can be found all over the quotes file.I selected this quote (After studying all of the archived quotes from Jan. 1 on) because I admired Spiffy's total immersion of herself into the theme presented (that of recognizing a duck) and her spot-on turns of phrase.

( I should add, though, that I could very easily second all the others so far. It's been a good year! [Big Grin] )

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: Eliab

On the thread: You're all Asshats, the lot of you

Quote URL: I see it like this. You (TPTB) went into an thread-restaurant and asked for a Turd Vindaloo. As the waiter went off to get it, I, and quite a few other gourmands, said “Are you sure you want a Turd Vindaloo? It will be hot, and full of shit”.

My reasons for nominating: Funniest thing I read all day! Sums up most hell threads -- but quotes like that are why we read them.

Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
eeGAD

Wandering Stowaway
# 4675

- Posted      Profile for eeGAD   Email eeGAD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: KenWritez

On the thread: Let's Offend in the Circus

Quote:

That is so...so...so...offensive I am speechless. Thus I voice my outrage in interpretive dance:

xxx
............. x pause
.... x ......... ... .. . spin spin spin ...
................. leap .........................
... pause ..... x x x ....x x.... spin ....
.......... leap .......... ..... ..... ..... ..
.... ... pause ... ... .. . xx
............. spin spin spin .. x
..... spin spin .. x
... spin . x
x

So there.

My reasons for nominating: Anyone who can figure out how to dance on a message board is a genius. He's also very graceful.

eeG

--------------------
You don't fix faith. It fixes you. - Shepherd Book

Posts: 976 | From: The Land of Mary | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  New poll   Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016