homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  New poll  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » The Simmies 2009   » Shipmate of the Year (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Shipmate of the Year
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Which shipmate has made the biggest impression on deck this year? It could be someone who's sulphurous in Hell, persuasive in Purgatory, inventive in Heaven. He or she doesn't have to have 99,000 posts to their name; it's the quality of posting that's important here. Shipmate of the Year is for the person who has made the strongest contribution to the Ship in 2008.

If you're nominating someone for a Simmy on this thread, please follow the format shown in the next post. Your post should simply contain your nomination and nothing else.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: Shipmate's board name

For: Shipmate of the Year

My reasons for nominating: Your comments in full here

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I nominate: Matt Black

My reasons for nominating: Nice guy. Courteous, intelligent posts.

Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
uncletoby

hobbyhorsical
# 13067

- Posted      Profile for uncletoby   Email uncletoby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 

My reasons for nominating: I disagree with him about almost everything but he always remains courteous. (Also he used something I wrote in his sig for a while, which was a nice little ego boost for me!)

--------------------
`` L--d! I cannot look at it ----

Posts: 1150 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: Wiff Waff

My reasons for nominating: Wiff Waff welcomes every newbie who posts on the the noobs thread in All Saints - there must be hundreds of people who's first interaction on the Ship is with Wiff Waff. He gives a great insight into his life in India, and keeps us entertained by burning his lips with hot drill bits, and hitting himself on the head while folding towels. What would we do without him?!

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Joan Rasch
Shipmate
# 49

- Posted      Profile for Joan Rasch   Email Joan Rasch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: Telepath

My reasons for nominating: She provides, as one poster put it, "[an]incredible ministry of prayer here on the Ship". Telepath serves as a major anchor of the All Saints Prayer requests thread by frquently posting summaries of the requested intercessions (sample here).

- Joan

--------------------
* A cyclist on the information bikepath

Posts: 509 | From: Boston, MA USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: Curiosity Killed the Cat

My reasons for nominating:
1. She has organised several meets in London, several to contribute to walking around the world and the recent meet with Kelly.
2. She has stored and distributed the ship's mugs.
3. She is organising the Secret Santa thread.

[ 11. December 2008, 18:59: Message edited by: Tree Bee ]

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd like to second the nomination for Curiosity killed the Cat, not only for all the reasons mentioned by treebee - but also for anchoring the cafe !

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tree Bee:
NOMINATION

I nominate: Curiosity Killed the Cat

1. She has organised several meets in London, several to contribute to walking around the world and the recent meet with Kelly.
2. She has stored and distributed the ship's mugs.
3. She is organising the Secret Santa thread.

- thirded.

She also organised the last Fitness Race too. She's also a Very Nice Person, as far as I can make out [Smile]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I nominate -- together -- Ye Olde Motherboarde & JB, the Conjoined Twins of Graciousness --

For Shipmates Of The Year.

Their interactions on threads aboard Ship are always gracious, humorous or sympathetic or wry or aghast as needed.

Their interactions IRL, among the throng of Shipmates they've brought together in various Meet contexts, are just as wonderful -- with the added facet of being so doggone healthy for us.

Hanging with them is like an Olympics. They're always embroiling Shipmates in traveling or touring or hiking or trotting up and down foothills on a Rent-A-Horse, driving zippy cars around hairpin curves, not to mention Marathon Shopping and Iron Man Triathalon Dining...

They, each, are lovely. Together, they're a delight.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Beautiful Dreamer
Shipmate
# 10880

- Posted      Profile for Beautiful Dreamer   Author's homepage   Email Beautiful Dreamer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I nominate: Comet
Reasons: you can always count on her to say something interesting or funny, even if she doesn't agree with you. She is also a very caring person.

I also nominate: Paddy O'Furniture
Reasons: She is a really funny and intelligent person online or off.

--------------------
More where that came from
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Posts: 6028 | From: Outside Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Is this where we praise Shipmeet hosts and organisers?

NOMINATION

I nominate Smudgie the inimitable, the hyperactive, the smallest penguin on ship

Reasons: Over the years she has hosted an annual shipmeet on the Isle of Wight which has attracted Shippies from over the Great Britain and associated islands and from scattered places around the world.

In addition to this gargantuan effort, she opens her home to stray shippies from Australia, the Orient and the North American continent whenever they land nearby.

Smudgie! The hostess with the mostest and her sidekicks!

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'll second the Smudgie shipmate of the year nomination [Yipee]
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Emma Louise:
I'll second the Smudgie shipmate of the year nomination [Yipee]

You nipped in before me, Emma! Nomination 'thirded' then. [Yipee]
Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Melangell
Shipmate
# 4023

- Posted      Profile for Melangell   Email Melangell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Smudgie - another vote in favour of her nomination. [Angel]

--------------------
Gwnewch y pethau bychein (Dewi Sant)
Do the little things (Saint David)

Posts: 367 | From: A bit of Wales in Surrey | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sha_Sha:

Red Carpet Gown On

Sha_Sha, as Comet is a host, she is not eligible for this award. Also, please be sure that all future nominations contain NOMINATION at the beginning.

Red Carpet Gown Off

[ 12. December 2008, 11:16: Message edited by: Flausa ]

Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought the Simmies were a really bad idea... but maybe, if Smudgie can be voted Shipmate of the Year, there's some point to them...
Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: Ye Olde Motherboarde

My reasons for nominating: YOM (with her sidekick, JB) host the Santa Fe Shipmeet every summer. I haven't made it yet, but it seems to be the biggest and best Shipmeet of the year. YOM also keeps track of everyone's "Birthdays, Saints Days and Just Fun Days" and is just a ray of sunshine on these Boards.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What I want to know is, how are we supposed to narrow it down? The Ship is crawling with fantastic people...

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
While, in theory, I can't say I care for the concept of the categories of Award which seem to be an Individual Unpopularity/Popularity Contest, I do think it worthwhile adding my support for

NOMINATION: SMUDGIE

FOR: SHIPMATE OF THE YEAR

My reasons for nominating: All that others have said. Although I couldn't make the whole Wightmeet this year, I and my carload were kindly welcomed for the Treasure Hunt Saturday (though by the time we finished, she had eaten all the grub and left only a handful of Pringles an' a bit of limp salad [Biased] ). She subsequently gave me very helpful tips in constructing a similar event for my church's first attempt at Feast Week jollities.

Plus, and this is really the crux of it, though all her recent problems, she's been incredibly open and honest and has shown - to me anyway - what it is to bear such a burden with truly amazing grace, generosity of spirit and still retain a sense of humour.

[ 12. December 2008, 17:49: Message edited by: Jahlove ]

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zwingli
Shipmate
# 4438

- Posted      Profile for Zwingli   Email Zwingli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: Mousethief.

My reasons for nominating: Made several thousand posts, a handful of which were worth reading, putting him above many other Shipmates. Was a good sport about the Godwin's Law video, whose jokes I have shamelessly stolen for this nomination. Proves that, on almost any subject imaginable, it is possible to have an opinion which is intelligent, educated, witty - and wrong. And mostly because, despite disagreeing with me vehemently on the boards, he is still warm-hearted, compassionate and forgiving.

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
NOMINATION

I nominate: Ken.

My reasons for nominating:Basically he is the only shipmate who can tempt me to read a thread I was otherwise uninterested in, just because he was showing up as having posted on it. His comments are well researched, interesting, and generally worth listening to, and he is a mine of fascinating information.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'll second ken. Because he not only has strong opinions that have illuminated many threads this year, but can back them up with well-reasoned argument and debate of the highest order. And because I've never seen him act like a jerk, or flame someone when they haven't richly deserved it.

But mostly because, despite the fact that he and I disagree strongly (and sometimes angrily) about politics, he is never anything other than civil and friendly at meets. Such camaraderie and friendship despite disagreement is what I think the true spirit of the Ship is all about [Smile] .

He would be a worthy winner of this award.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
uffda
Shipmate
# 14310

- Posted      Profile for uffda   Email uffda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nomination

I nominate Smudgie

For: Shipmate of the year

Reasons: Along with all the wonderful things others have said, her contributions on CIRCUS are hilarious, and have brought much joy to others. A well-rounded penquin, indeed.

[ 14. December 2008, 20:51: Message edited by: uffda ]

--------------------
Invincibly ignorant and planning to stay that way!

Posts: 1031 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nomination

I nominate: babybear

My reasons for nominating: Her posts are always interesting to read, but beyond that, she is a very brave woman, hosting strange 'Mercans (who eat funny) into her home. She is also one of the most caring and comforting people I have ever met.

[ 14. December 2008, 21:28: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wish to second the nomination for Telepath, for her wonderful ministry of prayer.

However, Smudgie is a close second. And then there's Motherboard. And...

As an ex-Chicagoan, I trust there are provisions for stuffing the ballot box.

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd like to nominate Foaming Draught.

For Shipmate of the Year.

He is a man of great warmth and passion. His posts are often incredibly insightful and underplayed. He has strong opinions but also Christian charity. The hospitality and kindness he has shown to so many - not just in Australia -is indeed praiseworthy.

He's the sort of person who keeps things going smoothly and seemingly effortlessly.

[ 14. December 2008, 21:55: Message edited by: Sir Pellinore (ret'd) ]

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
As an ex-Chicagoan, I trust there are provisions for stuffing the ballot box.

Vote early, vote often... Perhaps we could sell the awards as allegedly happens in Illinois?

I was going to second someone, but I think all of the nominees are strong contenders. Anyone got a fence for me to sit on?

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nomination

I would like to nominate Josephine. However, I really want to nominate her for Shipmate of the Decade, rather than the year, as the posts that really stick in my mind as some of the best ever on the Ship go back a little while. She has helped me understand Orthodoxy much better, posting with wit and clarity on difficult and emotional subjects. Thanks to her there are now issues where, although I still disagree with the Orthodox line, I can see why the issue matters so much to Orthodox. I've also found her witty and courteous at all times, and would love to see her getting honoured.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rexory
Shipmate
# 4708

- Posted      Profile for rexory   Author's homepage   Email rexory   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Pellinore (ret'd):
I'd like to nominate Foaming Draught.

For Shipmate of the Year.

He is a man of great warmth and passion. His posts are often incredibly insightful and underplayed. He has strong opinions but also Christian charity. The hospitality and kindness he has shown to so many - not just in Australia -is indeed praiseworthy.

He's the sort of person who keeps things going smoothly and seemingly effortlessly.

Seconded. He keeps track of many birthdays, anniversaries and other events, has a very pastoral heart - and a beautiful wife [Overused]

--------------------
Our first words on getting to heaven will be "Ohhh!", with an air of "Now I understand!" - CS Lewis, via Philip Yancey, "What Good is God", 2010

Posts: 2974 | From: Perth, Western Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'd second Josephine. Not only is she wise, witty and compassionate but I also feel sorry for her for being married to Mousethief.

Perhaps that is how she has developed her virtues ...

Gamaliel

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another person torn between two nominations, Telepath, for her work on the prayer thread, and Ken, just for general all-round good-shipmateness.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
chicklegirl
Shipmate
# 11741

- Posted      Profile for chicklegirl   Author's homepage   Email chicklegirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Please add another vote for Curiosity killed... for all the same reasons as everyone else.

--------------------
If you want to be happy, be.
~ Henry David Thoreau

Posts: 916 | From: Sixth Circle of Hell | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
I'd second Josephine. Not only is she wise, witty and compassionate but I also feel sorry for her for being married to Mousethief.

No, she had the virtues before she married me, which is why I married her. God knows why she married me.

Zwingli: thank you for your kind words.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Pellinore
Quester Emeritus
# 12163

- Posted      Profile for Sir Pellinore   Email Sir Pellinore   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:

No, she had the virtues before she married me, which is why I married her. God knows why she married me.

I think neither of you would have been begging to find a decent partner. The fact you found each other is a decided plus.

--------------------
Well...

Posts: 5108 | From: The Deep North, Oz | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

No need to feel sorry for me, Gamaliel. Being married to Mousethief is a blessing and a joy.

He cooks, he does laundry, he fixes things around the house. He keeps my bird feeders filled. He likes to talk about etymology and philosophy and books. He likes stories that have beginnings and middles and proper endings. He cares for my children as if they were his (and indeed adopted the two younger ones). He graciously hosted my former in-laws for visits out here when they were still able to travel. He writes poetry, he sings. He prays. He calms me down if I get wound up. He cleans up his own messes. He removes spiders from the house. He laughs at himself. He puns outrageously. He encourages me to try things that I have been too unsure of myself to try, cheers me when I succeed, consoles me when I don't.

I'm sure that I've thoroughly embarrassed him now, but that's okay. He may or may not be a wonderful shipmate -- that's not for me to decide. But he is a wonderful husband.

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Overused] [Angel]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
...He cooks, he does laundry, he fixes things around the house.

Yeah, but he's crap at yardwork.

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Zwingli
Shipmate
# 4438

- Posted      Profile for Zwingli   Email Zwingli   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've already nominated someone else for Shipmate of the Year, but I have to agree with this assessment of Matt Black:

quote:
Originally posted by Yerevan:

tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
quote:

No need to feel sorry for me, Gamaliel. Being married to Mousethief is a blessing and a joy.

As I understand it, you Orthdoxen view marriage as a spiritual struggle. Perhaps that explains it... [Big Grin]

--Tom Clune

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm glad I haven't got to make the decision on this - they're all so different, and all great!

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chelley

Ship's Old Boot
# 11322

- Posted      Profile for Chelley   Email Chelley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, so much for that last post - I'd picked up on the fact that hosts could now nominate and be nominated, but only just read the complete changes and see that we'll all be voting!

--------------------
"I love old things, they make me feel sad."
"What's good about sad?"
"It's happy for deep people!"

Sally Sparrow to Kathy - Doctor Who

Posts: 2870 | From: Wonderland, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Another for Curiousity Killed The Cat.

Not just for posting, organising and the "mugging", all of which are worth recognition, but for her service in the cafe: being there, keeping the conversation running and welcoming newcomers to the cafe.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
antSJD
Shipmate
# 13598

- Posted      Profile for antSJD     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I concur. Matt Black also gets my vote.

--------------------
I yearn to understand some measure of your truth which my heart believes and loves. For I do not understand in order to believe, but I believe in order to understand.

Posts: 440 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
just to make sure it's legit:
NOMINATION
quote:

so seconded. or whatever.

but my reasoning is because Matt could have easily been the Golden Asshat a few years back. He's proof that you can redeem yourself around here. He's become one of my favorite posters after having stuck with us through our anger at some pretty shitty behavior.

I appreciate his sheer determination and willingness to slog through the slop to make up for his mistakes.

Call him the Come Back Kid.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sha_Sha:
Reasons: you can always count on her to say something interesting or funny, even if she doesn't agree with you. She is also a very caring person.

I also nominate: Paddy O'Furniture
Reasons: She is a really funny and intelligent person online or off.

Thanks. I don't always present myself very well here but offline, well, I'm a bit less... obnoxious.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm humbled and grateful for the kind but undeserved nominations. My own is as follows:

Nomination

I nominate: Josephine

Reasons: what Robert said above. Plus her posts are characterised by kindness, charity, caring, wisdom, experience and a deep faith.

[ 18. December 2008, 11:53: Message edited by: Matt Black ]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pooks
Shipmate
# 11425

- Posted      Profile for Pooks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nomination

I nominate: §Andrew

My reason for nominating: §Andrew has been involved in plenty of arguments and has taken a fair amount of flack on the Ship. We have seen lesser characters flounce off as soon as some unpleasantness was flung at them, but not §Andrew. Whether I agree with his theological views or not, I have to say that I admire his tenacity and commitment to the Ship; he has stuck around. I don't know what criteria are used to judge who receives this award, but if we are prepared to go beyond a popularity contest and look at an individual's contribution that makes the Ship such a unique vessel, I think §Andrew has added plenty to the Ship's unrest by giving us his unique point of view so unyieldingly over the years.

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know that Americans 'get' irony. At least sometimes. Mousethief's Onion Dome is testimony to that.

But I was probably being too tongue-in-cheek in my comments about the thieving rodent. But at least it elicited a truly touching uxorious moment from Josephine.

Not a dry eye in the house.

[Tear] [Votive]

Seriously, folks, I like both Josephine and Mousethief. They're among my favourite shipmates as well as favourite Orthodoxen.

Better go before this becomes too much of a group-hug fest ...

Mousethief can irritate at times. Which of us can't? But he's there among the top rank in my view.

Gamaliel

PS Matt Black. Yay!

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  New poll   Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016