homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  New poll  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » The Simmies 2009   » VOTE! Best Avatar (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: VOTE! Best Avatar
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here are the nominations for Best Avatar. Please remind yourself of the avatars and nominations by reading the post below... and then vote for your choice.

Poll information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 201 user(s) have voted.
Voting started at board time.
Voting stopped at board time.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
 -

Above are the avatars, and below are the nominations, in alphabetical order, for Best Avatar.

1. chive

Nominated by Chorister: "This one is so funny because it looks so much like something else - and the cheeky strapline underneath reinforces the view. Rather like when my gmail account login page comes up - I never see a brown box, it always looks like a pair of brown y-fronts! I remember chive having a lot of fun with us trying to get us to guess what the picture really was when it first appeared."

2. Chorister

Nominated by piglet: "He's so cute, and always makes me go 'aah'."

3. Doublethink

Nominated by Paul M: "I just like it. Mysterious and attractive!"

4. eeGAD

Nominated by Erin: "Ingrid Third freakin' rocks, man."

5. Emma Louise

Nominated by PrettyFly: "I've just always thought it was very pretty - I'm fluffy like that - and I love the accompanying 'Storm in a Teapot' status."

6. Lots of Yay

Nominated by Zwingli: "Her avatar and title still make me smile every time she posts."

7. monkeylizard

Nominated by Sha_Sha: "It looks like a cat I had when he was wet."

8. Robert Armin

Nominated by Robert Armin: "My avatar is the Fool from the Rider-Waite Tarot pack. To some this is a symbol bursting with Christian significance, to others it is so anti-Christian it deserves to be smote with a thunderbolt. Therefore, to me it sums up the whole character of the Ship as a board of Christian unrest. (My nom de plume is that of a historical fool as well, as I seek to be one fool in the company of many others.)"

9. Scot

Nominated by KenWritez: "Scot's avatar is creative, striking, simple, unique and memorable. It's one of the best avatars I've ever seen and I've always liked it and envied it."

10. Smudgie

Nominated by Marvin the Martian: "It's just so cute."

11. Triple Tiara

Nominated by Geneviève: "I have always enjoyed TT's sense of humor, intellect, and lack of fanaticism regarding his faith tradition. The avatar is fabulous, and over the top. A wonderful chuckle."

--------------------
Eternal memory

Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

- Posted      Profile for Sylvander   Author's homepage   Email Sylvander   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hoorah for Smudgie, hottest penguin on the Ship!

--------------------
A martyr is someone living with a saint.

Posts: 1589 | From: Berlin | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras
Shipmate
# 11274

- Posted      Profile for Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Email Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think TT's avatar is a fit replacement for his old one (co-opted by The Atheist). It's fitting, ironic and rather sinister.
Posts: 7328 | From: Delaware | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sylvander:

Smudgie! You haven't been bribing anyone, have you?! [Paranoid]

(wanders off, muttering 'How can she be the hottest penguin on the ship whilst being the coolest penguin on the ship as well?' Surely Smudgie's a worker of miracles and fine wonders.....)

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
neandergirl

Opposing the thumb
# 8916

- Posted      Profile for neandergirl   Email neandergirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yay! for Lots of Yay!

--------------------
Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you. Hebrews 13:5 NIV
We come from love, we return to love, and all around is love.
Lord, ease our burdens, give us peace and enable us to do your work. Tree Bee

Posts: 2579 | From: 21218 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Genevičve

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Genevičve   Email Genevičve   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lietuvos Sv. Kazimieras:
I think TT's avatar is a fit replacement for his old one (co-opted by The Atheist). It's fitting, ironic and rather sinister.

Well, I'm just lost in admiration as he holds his head just so--because that crown thingie looks like it could fall off any moment with a very loud clunk. [Cool]

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Posts: 4336 | From: Eastern US | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Snigger] What a fitting description Genevieve. Cos whenever I succumb to pomposity I somehow immediately fall victim to some gaffe which shatters my dignity. No doubt that would happen were I to wear the triregnum - it would keep falling off at inopportune moments!

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
quote:
Originally posted by Sylvander:

Smudgie! You haven't been bribing anyone, have you?! [Paranoid]

(wanders off, muttering 'How can she be the hottest penguin on the ship whilst being the coolest penguin on the ship as well?' Surely Smudgie's a worker of miracles and fine wonders.....)

All I know is I am Smudgie's bitch, vote-wise. Ride the wave, honey.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can't remember who I voted for. But I'm sure it was lovely - hooray for whoever it was and for everyone else, they're all worthy!

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Triple Tiara:
No doubt that would happen were I to wear the triregnum - it would keep falling off at inopportune moments!

{Studies avatar's hat.}

Well, if it should fall off, you could substitute a triple-decker jello mold. Doubt anyone would notice the difference!
[Biased]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It has to be Triple Tiara. What's not to love about millinery that looks like a big breast? A 1980s Madonna-cone. Yer!
Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am going to make a bid for the pregnant parents vote. A vote for my avatar is a sacrifice to the goddess of cheek bones - and she will bless your unborn child with the facial structure of a super model.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
All I know is I am Smudgie's bitch, vote-wise. Ride the wave, honey.

Mind your back, Smudgie - Kelly always says things like that just before she wields her axe. What she's really thinking is 'Mmmmm, penguin steaks! - tasty..... [Eek!] )

--------------------

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can't see how anyone could get past Emma's lovely teapot.

There's a shop not too far from me that has a similar one in the window, and I like it when two worlds collide.

[Edited because there's no point canvassing if you don't make sense.]

[ 20. January 2009, 07:44: Message edited by: Drifting Star ]

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

I looked at the cookie monster with new eyes this morning, and realised what he is gobbling is actually a giant host!

"Lots of Yay - more relevant than you think."

--------------------

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I looked at the cookie monster with new eyes this morning, and realised what he is gobbling is actually a giant host!

"Lots of Yay - more relevant than you think."

You nearly had me trying to change my vote, but then I realised you didn't mean that sort of Host...

[ETA Teapots Forever!]

[ 20. January 2009, 07:57: Message edited by: Drifting Star ]

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Scot's avatar still thrills me and chills me.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I remember calling Smudgie to hell...just to see her cute avatar show up and confuse me. This did not endear me to hosts but I did not care...when I see that little cutie pie wee smudgie avatar, I lose my ability to think clearly. [Axe murder]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

Duchess, Duchess, what evil and corruption have you wrought? Don't you realise the more time Smudgie spends in Hell, the more her avatar subtly changes....
And it's All Your Fault!

--------------------

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Think of the children! [Eek!]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮

Revelle

Ship's Bassist for Hire
# 8554

- Posted      Profile for Revelle   Author's homepage   Email Revelle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I rather enjoy chive's avatar. Perhaps the best fitting avatar on the boards.

--------------------
"We need our Bible Belt to hold up our Truth Trousers." -Grits

Posts: 350 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think Robert Armin's is the most intriguing, and the prettiest of the three with a yellow background. And the discreet use of Tarot imagery gets my vote for being subtly subversive.
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

quote:
Originally posted by Revelle:
I rather enjoy chive's avatar. Perhaps the best fitting avatar on the boards.

A young Macca is yours?

--------------------

Revelle

Ship's Bassist for Hire
# 8554

- Posted      Profile for Revelle   Author's homepage   Email Revelle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Indeed.

--------------------
"We need our Bible Belt to hold up our Truth Trousers." -Grits

Posts: 350 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
eeGAD

Wandering Stowaway
# 4675

- Posted      Profile for eeGAD   Email eeGAD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
All I can do is to offer either gin or chocolate for votes. Unless you know who Ingrid Thrid is, my avatar is lost on you. alas.

However, I've been a bit of a penguin collector all my life, so I've got a soft spot for smudgie. Yay's always makes me smile, and Doublethink's always makes me nervous.

However, it's monkey lizard's avatar that makes me laugh out loud. If I had 2 votes, I'd give the other vote to that crazy critter.

Again, a vote for eeGAD will get you gin or chocolate. (Perhaps if I watch Election again, I can channel my inner Tracy Flick!)

eeG

--------------------
You don't fix faith. It fixes you. - Shepherd Book

Posts: 976 | From: The Land of Mary | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

I'm not just a pretty face, I can make myself very useful as well.

Vote for Chorister Teddy - for all your choral and computer needs.

Yeurch, now I'm all dusty and full of crumbs.

--------------------

koshatnik
Shipmate
# 11938

- Posted      Profile for koshatnik   Email koshatnik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by eeGAD:
Again, a vote for eeGAD will get you gin or chocolate.

Good enough for me - to be honest, I could have been bought for much less. Gin please, barkeep.
Posts: 467 | From: top of the pops to drawing the dole | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I'm not just a pretty face, I can make myself very useful as well.

But only when you lose your head!
[Eek!]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

I want the Melt inducing penguin to win. cute cute cutie pie.

--------------------

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It gives me very great pleasure to announce the winner of the Best Avatar Award. Many hours of deliberation go into choosing these visual identities. We thank everyone who has lined the ship's coffers (others are welcome to join them) for the privilege of being unique as they stride the ship's decks.

[Overused]

Now on with the show...

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So what did shippies make of those nominated?

Clearly after wrestling in prayer (and a trip his local?) dj_ordinaire slurred: 'I can't remember who I voted for. But I'm sure it was lovely - hooray for whoever it was and for everyone else, they're all worthy!"

That's the spirit, dj. Very helpful.

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
<sits up and looks very interested. Fully recovered now from yawning at Mousethief [Big Grin] >

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It was a terribly difficult choice, deciding where to cast my vote. They are all such worthy possibilities. In the end I voted for stunning simplicity... But I really like all of them.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

Ahem, quiet Row Z. I'm doing the speech...

[Razz]

--------------------

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

John Donne told us: "The winner has to be Triple Tiara. What's not to love about millinery that looks like a big breast?"

--------------------

Simon

Editor
# 1

Amen to that. Preach it, Ancient One.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

[Hot and Hormonal]

Comes from being celibate - breasts on the mind all the time!

--------------------

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hurrah & Huzzah for the Hat of His Holiness

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

However...

(camera freezes on faces of expectant avatars)

--------------------

Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

Was that the result? Is it true? Is it really me? I thought that was just the speech!

<stays put in seat for a moment - not wanting to leap up and have breast, erm, tiara slip off head and cause embarrassment>

--------------------

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

HOWEVER...

--------------------

Mrs Shrew

Ship's Mother
# 8635

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Shrew   Author's homepage   Email Mrs Shrew   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
*crunches popcorn*

--------------------
"The goal of life is not to make other people in your own image, it is to understand that they, too, are in God's image" (Orfeo)
Was "mummyfrances".

Posts: 703 | From: York, England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

uh-oh. Ominous....

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Doublethink listens attentively, desperately trying to conceal her covetousness and lust for a Simmie.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

...on the other hand, as Genevieve said: "Triple Tiara's crown thingie looks like it could fall off any moment with a very loud clunk."

Yep, there it goes.

Sorry, no gong this year, TT.

[Frown]

--------------------

Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

[Waterworks] [Waterworks] [Waterworks]

TT slinks out to have dinner.

Then off to console himself by saying a nice evening mass - sans crown!

--------------------

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

Paul M thinks Doublethink's avatar is 'mysterious and attractive!'

[Paranoid]

--------------------

Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

So did plenty of shippies, enough to...

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

Doublethink clings grimly to the last remnants of her dignity and reserve, maintaining that impenetrable Madonna smile.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  New poll   Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016