homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  New poll  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » The Simmies 2009   » VOTE! Best Thread

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: VOTE! Best Thread
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here are the nominations for Best Thread. Please remind yourself of why each thread was nominated by reading the post below... and then vote for your choice.

Poll information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 106 user(s) have voted.
Voting started at board time.
Voting stopped at board time.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here are the nominations, in no particular order, for Best Thread.

1. The Political junkie POTUS prediction thread

Board: Purgatory

Thread URL: The Political junkie POTUS prediction thread

Nominated by Nicolemrw: "What other thread continued so long, never losing freshness and interest?"

2. The Bible, Non-stop - GENESIS

Board: Kerygmania

Thread URL: The Bible, Non-stop: GENESIS

Nominated by Lyda*Rose: "This wonderful beginning of the Bible Non-stop is such a worthy Ship project. It's fun, creative, informative, and is the kind of thing that perks up a board like Kerygmania which, wonderful as it is, can get a bit dry. This brought the seminal book of the Bible to life for both posters and readers. And it makes the Ship look like it just might be a Christian website. Even if a reader has just wandered in from Hell. [Biased]."

3. The 2008 Ship of Fools Celebrity Death Pool

Board: The Circus

Thread URL: The 2008 Ship of Fools Celebrity Death Pool

Nominated by Sha_Sha: "Sort of dark humor when done the way it is intended. Allows one to show that twisted side everyone has but few admit to. Also adds a few twists not seen in other Celebrity Death Pools I have seen."

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ladies, gentlemen, and undecided, Shipmates and apprentices all, I am sooo happy to be here on this auspicious occasion for the first annual (I hope!) Ship of Fools Simmie Awards! Just look at the glittering crowd of Ship luminaries here today: admins, hosts, presenters, nominees, Ship celebrities, and hangers-on of all sorts. (Yes, I see you there, lurkers in the balcony!) It just...just... makes me proud to be a Shippie. [Tear]

Now just pull yourself together, Lyda*Rose, this is a happy occasion. Made all the happier for being joined by my friend of the Endless Simmer™, Janine, in presenting this Simmie for Best Thread.

Janine, darling, you look stunning! Were you entertaining the FG this morning with a little belly dancing? Or did our minds work alike and we are both wearing our best New Orleans All Saints Weekend Shipmeet-wear?

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is amazing, Lyda*Rose! (gawk gape goggle wow!)

I knew the Ship had thousands of members, but it looks as if half the world has turned out for the Simmies!

(Janine {bangles, bling, bells a-jingle} elbows closer toward Lyda*Rose, through the most amazing collection of fantastic evening wear since the De-Commissioning Ceremony at the Tower of Babel...)

Yeah, I pulled out the Belly Dancer ensemble. I figured I'd avoid a traditional Red Carpet Evening Gown. I saw some of the stuff Flausa was thinking of wearing. No way was I going to try to compete with all that voluptuosity!

Girl, that slinky black dress is perfect with your starlight-white hair. The added 3 feet of height from the traditional conical witches' hat is a good touch, too.

But wasn't Greebo part of the ensemble, when you wore it at Hallowe'en in New Orleans?

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's right. Where is that cat anyway? GREEBO!

Dammit, I think he morphed into his disreputable, leather-clad pirate self and is hitting on the women back stage. Ladies, I can't be held responsible. GREEBO!

And he'd better not even think about using the admins or editors as scratching posts. (Captain, just don't make eye contact! And don't try to pet him, Flausa, it will only end in tears.) Janine, maybe if you shake your bangles, you'll attract him. Turn your head and the glitter of that massive jewel on your forehead might work... See, Greebo, shiny...there's a good boy..

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What's he saying, Lyda? I can't understand him through the fang-lisp.

(backing away... Greebo advances... dang, it's a belly dance ensemble, not a tango outfit!...)

What's he saying, Lyda?!?

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

I think that was "Rrraoowwwrrr!!!! Janine. It's his standard pick-up line to beautiful women.

Greebo! Back to being a cat this instant. Right NOW, young man. Okay, that's better. Yes, stay on my shoulder, shweety kitty baby. He just an old softy, really.

Now, where were we? Oh, yes, Best thread. What a year for topics dear to Shippers' hearts! Wasn't it, Janine?

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

It was indeed. <cue glittery smile... hang a new huge ruby bindi on forehead to replace the diamond one Greebo now has dangling from his teeth, tickling Lyda*Rose's ear...>

I think the three that formed the final field were a tailor-made group, guaranteed to pique my interest, anyway!

The three finalists were:

The Political Junkie POTUS Prediction Thread --

< cue wild applause from adherents of that thread, and its absolute power of fascination over consideration of the fate of a nation...>

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

...OP by mjg.

The Bible, Non-stop: Genesis OP by Lynn MagdalenCollege. Shook Kerygmania to its foundations with its snappy styling.

And lastly...

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

<... cue darker voice, to suit the somewhat macabre nominated thread, two octaves lower than Sparkly Presenter Voice...>

"But not leastly...

The 2008 Ship of Fools Celebrity Death Pool thread, ably framed in its OP by Wet Kipper himself!"

<... back to sparkly Presenter Voice ... wrangling the gilded, sealed envelope from Greebo's claws, not much the worse for wear... he'd snaked it out from Lyda*Rose's safekeeping spot, under her hat...>

"And the winner is... "

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

...The Political Junkie POTUS Prediction Thread! Oh, congratulations! This is up there with the Inauguration!

(Jumps up and down on her toes and claps madly, dislodging her hat and the myriad munchables and notions stored in it, and risking the wrath of Greebo who flexes his claws.)

I'm not sure if there is room on stage, but mjg, and ALL the contributors to are invited to make acceptance speeches. Orchestra, you might as well take a smoke break. Or take "lunch". This is going to take a while...

Greebo. Give me Janine's diamond. Greeboooooo... The nice security man from Harry Winston's will be sooo put out. Oh, no! Greebo's threatening to swallow it...

Sir! I really think you'd better call for back up. Someone like a zoo keeper with a dart gun loaded for big cats.

Keep playing with the shiny, dangly thing, baby cat. Who's a gooood cat?...please give it to mama and you'll get this...(pulls a buffalo wing from the witch's hat)...nice snack- No! only the wing not my hand!...
[Eek!] ....

--------------------

moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi. My name is Mike and I am an SoF addict.

Full disclosure: I have been sitting here, nearly slavering, for hours waiting for the announcement. (They tell me first you acknowledge your problem and then you get help.)

THANKS to the Shipmates who keep this boat afloat and participated in that thread. This is quite a treat!

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

mjg:
quote:
Full disclosure: I have been sitting here, nearly slavering, for hours waiting for the announcement. (They tell me first you acknowledge your problem and then you get help.)
Sorry, Mike, we had technical difficulties. A cat + wardrobe malfunction.

But hearty congratulations! It was a thread with vision!

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am truly honoured that our artistic collaboration has been recognised in this way ...

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

<... Janine, jangling, sidles somewhat aside from the fabulously diamond-encrusted Presenter's Podium Microphone, pulling along with her Lyda*Rose in her slinky black Nanny Og ensemble...>

Fantastic! Word from the OP! And maybe some more commentary from the OP and the other talented posters who so fearlessly made the POTUS predictions! Yay!

... Lyda*Rose fishes around in the witch's hat for some iodine for the Greebo-scratches... Janine wonders if the chicken wing Buffalo Sauce will be good enough for the purpose...

Greebo, unbalanced, saves himself an undignified fall from his mistress' shoulder by transforming quickly back into a piratical, preying, almost-human playboy (who of course is now nekkid...) Janine wonders if Nanny -- erm, Lyda*Rose... might have a spare loincloth in the Hat, something like this...

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Not to mention y'all's oral hygiene, Doublethink.

[ 01. February 2009, 17:21: Message edited by: Janine ]

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

My eyes! My eyes!

--------------------

eeGAD

Wandering Stowaway
# 4675

- Posted      Profile for eeGAD   Email eeGAD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
This is fabulous! Indeed a well deserved honor for this enduring thread! *wild drunken applause*

My hearty congratulations to the very large number of contributors on this thread!

--------------------
You don't fix faith. It fixes you. - Shepherd Book

Posts: 976 | From: The Land of Mary | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mjg:
Hi. My name is Mike and I am an SoF addict.

Well, hmm. I always thought you were a chick.

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think you'll find it's short for "Michelle".

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
It was a thread with vision!

Through a glass, snarkly.
Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Terrific way to put it.

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well hey! Sorry I missed the official announcement, but I'm thrilled to hear this outcome!

[Yipee]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mad Geo

Ship's navel gazer
# 2939

- Posted      Profile for Mad Geo   Email Mad Geo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well done MJG!

--------------------
Diax's Rake - "Never believe a thing simply because you want it to be true"

Posts: 11730 | From: People's Republic of SoCal | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  New poll   Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016