homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  New poll  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » The Simmies 2009   » VOTE! Best Putdown

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: VOTE! Best Putdown
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here are the nominations for Best Putdown, with seven glorious putdowns in all. Please read the putdowns and nominations by reading the post below... and then vote for your choice.

Poll information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 158 user(s) have voted.
Voting started at board time.
Voting stopped at board time.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here are the nominations, in alphabetical order, for Best Putdown.

1. dj_ordinaire

Putdown: Click here to read

Posted on the thread: Children and what to do with them (Ecclesiantics)

Nominated by Spike: "dj_o has a way with words at the best of times anyway, but this one really made me laugh."

2. Doublethink

Posted on the thread: Belle Ringer's Church (Hell)

Nominated by Hart: "For saying what many were thinking in a much more subtly and cunnily passive aggressive way than I ever thought possible. I'm not sure Belle even realized she was being insulted."

3. Firenze

Putdown: "The woman that reared you would drown nothing."

Posted on the thread: You're all Asshats, the lot of you (Hell)

Nominated by Moo: "It is very clear and succinct and so completely dismissive."

4. Moo

Posted on the thread: Sad Cunts (Hell)

Nominated by Geneviève: "Moo always uses language precisely and in most cases graciously. Here, however, her response to a regrettable OP is a masterpiece, and without stooping to the crude language of the OP'er."

5. Presleyterian

Putdown: "Having the discretion to leave a thought, opinion, or complaint unexpressed isn't a concept I'd expect you to grasp."

Posted on the thread: Golden Asshat (Hell)

Nominated by Flausa: "This putdown is timeless, succinct, and expresses an acute knowledge of the opposing poster while being adaptable to a wider target range. Besides which, Presleyterian is probably the only Shipmate whose posting abilities would encourage me to read all her posts again. She can say in less than 2500 posts what it can take others 10000+ much less elegant posts to say. My posts want to be her posts when they grow up."

6. Spiffy

Putdown: "You are so clueless, you are standing in the Conservatory holding a Lead Pipe and wondering what all the shouting is about."

Posted on the thread: This is science? (Hell)

Nominated by Sandemaniac: "Succinct, pithy, funny and utterly appropriate. I can see I'm going to have to keep an eye on her."

7. Zappa

Putdown: "When you kick Jesus off the Right Hand of the Father™, would you whisper a prayer in the ear of the Creator for those of us less perfect than your self?"

Posted on the thread: Sir Pellinore (Hell)

Nominated by kingsfold: "It's elegant, it's sarcastic, it's subtle but not too subtle... what more do you need?"

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Flausa approaches the podium led by her bump draped beautifully in blue.

What makes for the perfect putdown? There must be humour that is edged with a razor and wielded by a quick mind. It's certainly no good to come up with that witty rejoinder two hours too late. So which among our nominees has managed the right combination. I will leave you waiting in anticipation of the arrival of my co-presenter who knows something about sharp blades ... our favourite bunny with an axe!

Over to you Kelly, my dear.

[pah! practice this speech and still flubbed my lines]

[ 01. February 2009, 16:23: Message edited by: Flausa ]

Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(Kelly has paid off nephew's horn band to make her entrance )

(Walks to podium,gives deep sigh, and clutches envelope to breast)

Something tells me that opening this envelope will give me such pleasure. Don't ask me why. There is just a warm, golden glow emanating from the envelope as of something richly deserved.

Anyway..

Riiip

And the winner is...

SPIFFY!! the artist formerly known as Wondersheep!

(Bounces and shrieks a la Natalie Portman.)

[ 01. February 2009, 16:33: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
<... thinks, yeesh, girl, I'm glad the Axe of Bunniness somewhat covers the Cleavage of Bouncing... otherwise fellas would not hear the winner's speech over their drooling...>

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
(Why thank you, Janine.)

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OMG! Spiffy has won TWO awards! Way to go, girl! WooHOOO! [Cool]

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
With some effort, Doublethink holds her emotions in check.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hooray for Spiffy, whose rapier wit has made me snort my coffee on many an occasion.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
How the hell did I win?!?

I mean, thanks and all, but... wow. This I did not expect.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Couldn't be happier. Spif. You have the gift of coming up with that killer shot that leaves the victim gigging unwillingly.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Zappa ... skulks off, sulking. Cries in corner. Finds tall bridge. Struggles ... starving wife .. eight kids... two dogs ... dependent fish ...

Oh bugger it! Pooze happen

Well done Spiff - a deserved gong!

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  New poll   Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016