homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  New poll  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » The Simmies 2009   » VOTE! Host of the Year

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: VOTE! Host of the Year
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here are the nominations for Host of the Year. Please remind yourself of why each person was nominated by reading the post below... and then vote for your choice.

Poll information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 173 user(s) have voted.
Voting started at board time.
Voting stopped at board time.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here are the nominations, in alphabetical order, for Host of the Year.

1. Campbellite

Nominated by Ye Olde Motherboarde: "My dear brother, who has always a good word to say via PM's when I ask him to so some changes for me. I love the man."

2. Chorister

Nominated by rugasaw: "For actively taking this thread into the Circus."

3. dj_ordinaire

Nominated by R.A.M: "My reasons for nominating: Eccles is one of my favourite boards, possibly THE favourite. What is more the inhabitants thereof can be a little unruly, and it is only through his excellent, and well timed, interventions that some of the more interesting threads stay focused. When not intervening formally, dj_o sets the tone of that forum to all our benefit. Special mention also goes out to Hart and jlg, of course, and it was hard to choose which most deserved the accolade.

So may he be crowned with the Simmie Biretta, awarded the small golden statuette resembling Uncle Percy Dearmer, and given whatever other laurels deemed appropriate."

4. Duo Seraphim

Nominated by Hiro's Leap: "Duo's not a host now which might affect her eligibility, but earlier this year she was a stunningly good host. She knew exactly when to prod a thread, when to issue a hostly rebuke, and when to leave well alone. My guess is that Purgatory hosting is pretty hard work, but she made it seem effortless."

5. jlg

Nominated by Anselmina: "It's a tough call because so many hosts are excellent. But jlg demonstrates how to get the job done, efficiently, impartially and comprehensively; often with humour, or the right amount of slapped wrist, and in a way which rarely draws attention away from the thread being hosted. Quite an achievement. To my mind, she's just the perfect host."

6. Mamacita

Nominated by Twilight: "Mamacita is the classic, gracious hostess. She doesn't hover around emptying ashtrays and giving threatening looks toward your dip-dripping celery stick. Instead you're barely aware she's there, until you need a little help finding where to put your things or getting out of a dull conversation. Mostly you just know you're feeling welcome and having a great time; trusting that if you should get so drunk and disorderly that she has to call the cops on you, she'll send you off in a kindly way with a foil wrapped cheese ball in your pocket, and welcome you back after you've done your time."

Seconded by Sir Pellinore (ret'd): "For: Combining firmness with tact and not dwelling in immeasurable heights."

7. PeteC

Nominated by Sober Preacher's Kid: "My reasons for nominating: I'm nominating the grandfatherly PeteC not for his kind and gentle prodding in AS, but for his truly entertaining stint as a stand-in Hell Host while comet took shore leave during Lent.

He ate threads for lunch. He belittled lame posters with glee and abandon. I turned on my computer and open up Hell just to see what threads he had closed lately. He tried, and succeeded in raising the standard of invective, wit, and callous nonchalance in Hell. This is a good example.

Seconded by Sioni Sais (among others): "Not only fine host in AS but also a great spell depping for comet. I do wonder if months with the fluffy bunnies would ensure that any ex-AS host would behave like that. He's a great poster too, right across the Ship, caring in AS, intelligent in Purgatory and acid in Hell. PeteC - Ship's all-rounder!"

8. sarkycow

Nominated by Redolent Spilogale Putorius: "Sarkycow has not said a stern or unkind word to me this entire year, unlike most other Hosts and Admins. I would like to give an example here: but as far as I know, sarkycow has not posted anything at all during 2008.

9. TonyK

Nominated by Ariel: "He's put up with Dead Horses for years with grace, patience, courtesy and good humour. He deserves a medal for coping unprotestingly with some of the stuff that's been in there since the dawn of time, and which will continue to resurface and have the same things posted to them over and over again until the end of the universe."

Seconded by (among others) KenWritez: "The man labors uncomplainingly and faithfully in the darkest bowels of the Ship and has never sought public attention. He does what so few of us would want to do and he does it with grace and a flash of self-deprecating humor. The few times I've interacted with him when I was a Host he was friendly and accommodating. Honoring him with this award is a) overdue and b) among the least we can do for him."

10. Trudy Scrumptious

Nominated by mousethief: "Any time I have requested any hosting help (via PM, usually) she has responded courteously and friendlily, even when (as is usually the case) my request was ill-founded or otherwise stupid."

Seconded by Josephine: "She is unfailingly calm, kind, and genuinely helpful, responding with charity and grace to her fellow Shipmates' questions and concerns, whether those questions are posted on a thread or sent by PM. She's not as flashy as some of the other hosts, working mostly behind the scenes, but her contribution is no less valuable, and no less appreciated, for that."

--------------------
Eternal memory

Viola
Administrator
# 20

- Posted      Profile for Viola   Email Viola   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
To a blast of Walton's viola concerto, here I come to walk you through the Host of the Year award!

We've had hosts singled out for dedication to all sorts of duties. Recognition has gone to those who have spent their lives serving just one board, and to those who have acted as social butterflies, changing their spots as they move through the boards.

Nominations have gone to hosts who move threads, keep threads where they are, close threads and take bribes on threads [shurely not, Ed]

And now, I'm delighted and honoured to welcome to the stage, that beautifully manicured, sinking ship of an officer, Cap'n Simon himself.

Simon - put the rum bottle down and bring that envelope here...

--------------------
"If ye love me, keep my commandments" John 14:15

"Commandment number one: shut the hell up." Erin Etheredge 1971-2010

Posts: 4345 | From: West of England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

May I just compliment you on your choice of dress? Polka dots are so this year.

Now, where's that envelope?

[ Damn that rum... compliment, complement... ]

[ 01. February 2009, 16:29: Message edited by: Simon ]

--------------------
Eternal memory

Viola
Administrator
# 20

- Posted      Profile for Viola   Email Viola   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Excuse me please whilst we fish around in the Captain's chest...

One tattered and slightly chewed envelope - complete with shopping list on the back...

Off you go Captain...

--------------------

Simon

Editor
# 1

Thank you...

Well, it was an amazingly crowded field... all of them well deserving of the coveted award, of course. Ten nominees, no less.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Viola
Administrator
# 20

(Glancing around at their expectant little faces - except for those who have been nominated on the basis of having Hardly Hosted)

--------------------

Simon

Editor
# 1

Ahem... yes... that sarkycow nomination was taking the piss, wasn't it?

Anyway...

[ 01. February 2009, 16:37: Message edited by: Simon ]

--------------------
Eternal memory

Viola
Administrator
# 20

Looking at all this editing - I think it's time I took the rum away, once and for all - hoping it doesn't cause too much of a disturbance.

Smiling sweetly on and tapping watch...

--------------------

Simon

Editor
# 1

Aside from being a brilliant Host all year, and taking into consideration his "depping for comet in Hell", "eating threads for lunch" and for being an all-round pan-ship poster...

[ripping open the golden envelope]

... the Simmy goes to...

PeteC!

--------------------
Eternal memory

Viola
Administrator
# 20

And the crowd goes wild!!!!

(and a big, polka dot lipsticky kiss to PeteC)

--------------------

Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Huzzah!

[Overused] [Yipee]

Papal Knighthood must surely follow. Or at least a medal.

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

Yes indeed... congratulations, PeteC. Enjoy your Simmy.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Clappity-clang, clappity-clang, clappity-clang!]

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Overused] Well done, PeteC - a worthy winner indeed!! [Overused]

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Speech! Speech!

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Yipee] Speech, speech

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yay Pete! You really are the fairest of us all!!

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Raising a Timmy Ho's single-single in toast.
Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Canada does do it best!

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bravo! Bravo! [Dabs corners of eyes, smiles brightly just in case the cameras are looking for the losers.] Bravo PeteC!

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sheep 3

Nativity Play
# 3663

- Posted      Profile for Sheep 3   Email Sheep 3   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sheep3 nuzzles PeteC and doesn't even think of nibbling on anything.

Baa.

*jingle*

--------------------
jlg the sheep

Posts: 278 | From: lost in a pasture | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
*** comet proudly plants a bit wet on on Uncle Pete. ***

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
True dedication to duty, PeteC. [Overused]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OMG, he is going to be unbearable all day!

I have heard movement in his room so doubtless he will be along to make a mammoth acceptance speech in a little while.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pete skids to a stop at the Academy stage. Where's the ramp?

Ahem! Thank you, Captain and Ancient Albatross, for lifting me up. Truss supports and back braces will have you right as rain in no time at all, I'm told!

Crowd cheers as the stalwarts are off to waiting ambulances

Let us have a moment of prayer for my co-nominees. [Votive] Better luck, next year, you lot! [Axe murder]

[Yipee] I won! I won! I won! [Devil]

Losers!

[Devil]

clutching his trophy close

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Snigger]

Nice job, Pete!

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Watch out for any disgruntled competitors. They may chock you, Master P.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Duo Seraphim
Ubi caritas et amor
# 256

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim   Email Duo Seraphim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
Watch out for any disgruntled competitors. They may chock you, Master P.

Not this one [Smile] Well done Uncle Pete!

--------------------
Embrace the serious whack. It's the Catholic thing to do. IngoB
The Messiah, Peace be upon him, said to his Apostles: 'Verily, this world is merely a bridge, so cross over it, and do not make it your abode.' (Bihar al-anwar xiv, 319)

Posts: 7952 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Doublethink looks back at Pete and thinks, "If I hadn't given my heart to Brad ..."

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  New poll   Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016