homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Glory   » Fields of Gold (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  18  19  20 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fields of Gold
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doubt my attempt at a description of the pretty day out there will go as well as everyone else's; I think I have a skewed vision. Or a skewed mentality. [Paranoid] I sit here at the computer, though and appreciate the day. I have enough in me to appreciate beauty, if not to describe it.

We are crispy cold and dry (for us), about 60 degrees Farenheit and no rain for a bit. The sun sparkles. The young longsuffering oak 20 feet away out my back window is swaying its glossy leaves at me. (If we're not careful, the dog bites huge chunks of bark off it. Part of a big threat display when you "sic" her on the squirrels...)

Oak needs to be trimmed away from the roof again. (I'll send young Mike up there. 17-year-old boys long for any excuse to get up on the roof. Perhaps Joe, at 10, is old enough this year...)

Since we've had a wet summer-into-fall, with what passes for cold around here only just now coming to us, the earthworms have been having a field day. (Was that almost a pun?)

The St. Augustine grass is lush, and the ground pillow-soft 'cause the worms have been aerating so well. It's like trying to walk on a flotant or a bit of quaking marsh (not too different from quicksand). One must walk absolutely flat-footed so as to keep from sinking. If I tried to sprint across the yard (hard to imagine why 200-lb. me would) I'd be half-shin deep.

No blooms since spring, of course, but the La. swamp iris is still energetically ringing the feet of the oak. The poison oak along the hurricane fence is finally dying back a bit (Yay!), but then so is a wild vine that looks like grape. I shall miss it. Small Chinese tallow and elderberry saplings grow along it, trying to turn themselves into a forest.

Along what I rather naively call the patio (cement slab, no embellishment), under my bedroom window, there's an alligator tail.

(Not a real one! That's the local name for a pretty succulent with leaves like a 'gator's tail, or a dragon's. Slender with a jagged edge. Deep green stripes on a duller green ground, rather like a baby 'gator.)

It wants to take over the world. Along the edges of each leaf, it grows & easily drops dozens of 'babies', which root any friendly place they fall. I really need to take advantage of that to start some of them in pots for gifts.

Out front, the morning glories refuse to give up. Still some blooming, deep cobalt blue and raspberry-magenta and old-fashioned sky-blue. These are probably from vines started from seeds dropped by the first ones blooming last spring.

There's one fresh new vine, with glossy energetic-looking leaves thrice the size of the others'. Not a blossom on it yet, just the self-satisfied great leaves clambering up my Jessamyn's bedroom shutter. I hope to see it bloom before frost kills it; judging by the leaves, the flowers oughta be amazing.

The lawn is mostly centipede grass out front, rather than St. Augustine. Softer, finer, fluffier, like deep green fur. Too bad neither it nor the St. Aug. seems able to whip the weeds' butts!

Out the back window: mocking birds, cardinals, blue jays, starlings, sparrows, finches. Oddly, the flock of sparrows has adopted some little parrot-types.

(Conures? Lovebirds? Something a bit bigger than a sparrow, and olive green (female?) or brilliant green (male?) with a peachy-colored face.)

The sparrows up in Iowa used to adopt the escaped parakeets (budgies). They must've died in the snows, though. Here, the green ones have a chance if they choose somewhere sheltered to winter.

I could blather on... The hummingbirds' antics among the morning glories and zinnias all summer are priceless... the goldenrod and something resembling digitalis, brilliant orange-gold and deep indigo blue, look well together out there...

But I'll get along to some work big Mike asked me to do for the church. Might as well keep Himself thinking it's worth me not working a "real" job.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello Molly. My week looks like this.

Monday. Raining again. Trains screwed up. Arrived at work. Head of section in mood. Highlight of day: discovering teabags were 5p cheaper than anticipated. Went home early, thereby avoiding smelly man on later train, whose fragrance scents the entire carriage. Never trust a man who wears a woolly hat.

Tuesday. See Monday, except for highlight. (Highlight: in mood of reckless abandon, added small coloured stripe to one intranet web page. Am still awaiting official reprimand and loss of privileges but head of section promises full support.)

Wednesday. See Tuesday, but also left umbrella on Virgin train. Annoyed about this as Virgin trains hardly ever run, have no chance of speaking to member of staff about it. Highlight of day: jam doughnut.

Thursday. Umbrella now somewhere in Bournemouth, probably having good time at seaside resort on coast. Managed to catch Virgin train and speak to member of staff who promised to ring me whether it was located or not. Looked up list of lost property on Virgin website – amazing list of categories such as furniture, clocks, and armour. Looked up complete list of current items of lost property to see if there were any lost suits of armour, discovered instead that 177 umbrellas (none of which are mine) have been handed in at Crewe station, also 1 pair of trousers and a clarinet.

Attended shipmeet at local pub. Great mulled wine with half a pickled orange in it, wobbly table, also wobbly stool with holes in. Rachel and Dragon both in great form. On to Chinese restaurant for really good meal. Persuaded Rachel not to pocket spoons before leaving. Then back to station.

Friday. Still no news of umbrella. Raining again. Trains completely screwed up both north and southbound. Highlight of day, hot bacon and tomato roll at station while waiting. Like trains, bacon rolls are only once a week or so at random intervals. Must see if there is direct link between appearance of roll and appearance of train.

And so it goes.

chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She's right!. Well bless my cotton socks.

I'm very disappointed though that there is no Garden Statuary or Scientific Instruments to claim.

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And no "religious" - so no nuns have got lost on Virgin trains.

Quite a few young prsons' rail cards though.

Someone lost a camcorder!

And that poor person who lost two address books. [Frown]

D'you think thieves dump stuff on Virgin trains?

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Miss Molly,
I am the kitchen manager at a local high school and had to laugh the other day when it was posted that our regular official clothing also included hairnets. Well, we wear them all the time, and someone asked if one of the fellows had to wear one since he is bald (yes, from the chemo he's on), and they said yes! So, baldness is no excuse not to wear a hairnet in food production. Just in case you were wondering about a new vocation and happen to become bald....
Spent last night at the Crystal Apple awards working. A wonderful evening where they give awards of excellence for all the outstanding teachers in our district. The room was beautiful. I particularly loved these magnificent candelabras. 5 votive candle holders (one tall, the other four nicely spaced) dotted around the room, and most of the light came from them, and it was just perfect. Elegant settings, wine, the tables were dressed as scrumptiously as the guests of honor. Lots of special touches, it was beautiful. I thought, oh, now this is the way the great feast should be!
We have been blanketed by fogs for the last few days. Missed the meteorite showers, but had the most blended sunrise the other morning from off our kitchen dock. A pale pink, fading from the smudges of lavender giving way, all through stained glass trees limbs. Felt like being in an ancient cathedral. The birds singing a morning litany. It was a wonderful way to start the day. Hope your day tomorrow starts off so beautiful.
Peace and good night,
Lady A

Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Miss_Molly

Toujours gai
Beloved
# 2339

- Posted      Profile for Miss_Molly   Email Miss_Molly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear friends, dear shipmates. I post today so you will all know I am still alive and still your shipmate. I am sorry I have not posted lately. What happened is my perfectionism collided head on with technology and a change in my condition.

Several days ago, I had things pretty well in hand I thought. I had almost completed a message with suitable responses to your amazing and much appreciated posts, with a continuation of the guided tour of the wonderful quilt, and with some news of me in a suitably cheerful tone. Then, I got booted off the net and lost the post!

I was too tired to do it all over again, but had every intention of posting the next day. This intention has continued, with the plan of including responses, quilt tour, news and witticisms. Alas, I have been very weary, and my condition has changed.

So I have had to make a choice: no posts until I am able to write in my usual style, or general thank-yous for your much appreciated messages, maybe no quilt squares today, and just some news of how I am and perhaps my thoughts on the subject of my journey at the moment.

I decided on the latter after talking to Saint Sebastian and receiving a concerned PM! I am still here, my dear ones; I am just not starting any magazine serials. So herewith a post to my shipmates in the new style necessary at the moment, though I hope to be able to better respond later.

The short version of events is that the disease is moving right along. For quite awhile, I was about the same. For instance, in August and September, I could manage quite well in the shower without my oxygen (it is a nuisance), and could do my own housework, even dispensing with the oxygen if it was getting in the way. I was on only 2 liters of oxygen a minute at that time. I did have coughing fits a couple of times a day, but could recover from them.

In October, I had a little more difficulty, but still felt I was holding my own. I wore my oxygen into the bathroom more, on my friend Marian's suggestion, as she informed me I was too blue for her taste on my emergence from a time without it. I made a Freudian slip here! I told her I would "wear my cancer into the bathroom". Of course, I wear my cancer everywhere, but I was still fighting to keep it from modifying my activities too much.

Saint Sebastian was quite correct in his post the other day. I was breathless, and could not recover, after I had cleaned my bathroom, even though I wore oxygen. I really was a little frightened. I realized at that point that he and Marian were right, and I must accept help to do my housework and laundry.

I needed more oxygen too; I had to push it up to four liters to be really comfortable. I had been struggling along on two, because I wanted to be able to continue on my concentrator, not have to have huge green tanks. Tanks run out, but as long as there is electricity the cow works. It cannot provide more than 5 liters however. I finally acknowledged to Marian that yes, indeed, I was using accessory muscles all the time to breathe. I now no longer have the strength to do this. I must preserve my energy for my friendships and to last through Christmas for my mother's sake. Marian was very blunt, and she was correct, I can do things my way and die before the holidays, or I can give some things up and hope to last a while longer.

Wednesday night I had a severe coughing fit, and coughed up blood. Previously, when my attack had been that severe, and brought up blood, I had also brought up a tumor. If there is a tumor in one of my bronchii, I no longer have the strength to dislodge it. And I no longer can recover well from such fits. They are now frightening to me.

My present life is much modified from even two weeks ago. Then, I moved around and did not worry too much about my breathlessness after even a little activity, and I accepted coughing fits as part of the routine. Now, I move very slowly, just one or two steps at a time. I stop and hang onto chairs and countertops and doorframes, so as to take a little of the weight I am bearing. I rise slowly from chairs, and stand still before moving away from one. I pause several times during a shower and just hold on to the grab bars and concentrate on breathing. I have a loud techique of clearing my throat that seems to remove a lot of the phlegm that used to cause my coughs. I breathe as deeply as I can, several times a day, listening for any crackles in my chest. If I hear them, I do cough, but I intersperse it with throat clearing in order to be able to breathe while I am doing it. I still get a bit short of breath no matter what I do, but I do not get breathless.

It is hard to lose my strength. I was always a strong woman, well able to lift and turn heavy patients. I had big muscular forearms, and strong hands. I have lost my forearm muscle and, due to the chemotherapy, I sometimes lose my grip on objects.

The thing is, I must accept all this. I know and accept that I am going to die; what is hard to accept is that I may not die before I am completely helpless. I somehow imagined that I would get weaker, but not so weak as for instance, not to be able to go to the toilet or shower on my own.

The other day, I was weeping a little bit, probably feeling more than a tad bit sorry for myself. I stood by the wall where your beautiful gift hangs, and I leaned into it, putting the palms of my hands on its lovely, soft surface. Your love and strength came to me, and I could go on.

God bless you.

--------------------
"I come from a state that raises corn, and cockleburrs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me"

Congressman Willard Duncan Vandiver at a naval banquet in Philadelphia, 1899

Posts: 1242 | From: home | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Molly,
Love and prayers.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
((((((((((((Molly))))))))))))

How lovely to hear from you again. I can understand that you have a desire for perfectionism and to be amusing because you naturally have such a lovely writing style and it must be terribly hard to feel too tired to entertain us…

but we are not looking to be entertained you know…

and we would not want you to exhaust yourself for that…

(it is so irritating when you lose a post that you have put effort into. It really annoys me even with time and energy to spare. Poor Molly)

and don’t worry about wit or about posting at all if you don’t feel well. Save your energy and write if you are able to, if it is easy enough to be a pleasure and not a chore…

and it is so hard to live with the uncertainty of having cancer – not that I’ve had to do that as a patient myself, but as a carer. It’s so hard to deal with the progression, you think well, such and such an activity isn’t possible any more, but I can cope, we can cope, we’ll find a way around. Then the next thing happens, and you readjust again, another set of expectations lowered. So hard when you have been proud and independent and capable. So hard to lose physical strength.

I watched the person I loved most in the world let go of so many things that had been good and beautiful and valuable in her life and take hold of God instead. Not that she hadn’t been close to God before, but it was a different sort of way of knowing God. Being so vulnerable. I don’t know that I could do it like that myself. (I did all the business of being very angry with God instead.) She said “I accept this; I accept it but I am fighting it”. It was a sort of balance. Not one, I thought, that I could have done. And at the end there was so little left, in a way, except love, and the love had taken over. The opposite of “dying mean”, that you talked about before, a sort of healing of past hurts and a growing, and what was happening physically wasn’t really the issue in a way.

Oh, I am so glad the quilt is a comfort to you. Its value is I suppose as a tangible reminder that you are loved…

Any how, I am very happy to go on writing on the thread (tho I promise to stop if requested to!) please don’t feel you have to respond personally, please don’t do anything to tire yourself if you don’t feel well

And take care Molly

Lots of love

WD

Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If all we ever get is an occasional smiley from you, or a note from St. S. to report on you, that will suffice. Let us entertain you.

--------------------

Wandering with Hope
Shipmate
# 3431

- Posted      Profile for Wandering with Hope   Email Wandering with Hope   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(((Molly))) we love you and you are in our prayers - do not concern yourself with long updates at this time just sit back while we talk to you. [Not worthy!]
Posts: 113 | From: between the ocean and the mountains | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dave the Bass
Shipmate
# 155

- Posted      Profile for Dave the Bass   Email Dave the Bass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Molly, it's always wonderful to hear from you, but
not if it takes all your energy. It is enough to know that you are reading, and drawing strength from our messages and our love.

Posts: 2162 | From: In a forest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

- Posted      Profile for Willyburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
((Molly)) I'm sorry I missed you last night. I saw your IM this morning. I'll keep an eye out for you.

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--
Why is it that every time I go out to buy bookshelves, I come home with more books?

Posts: 835 | From: Arizona, US | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Love] HUGS [Love] love [Love] prayers [Love]

XXX OOO

From David and his mood-reflective hamsters

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Miss Molly,
Keep holding onto that quilt. Keep looking here to see that we all love you and pray for you. Hold on to Jesus and never let go of where He is leading you. Let love guide your feet, your hands, your heart. Let mercy sing songs of thanksgiving quietly in the peace of the night. Much Love,
Lady A

Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner*
SOF Co-editor
# 105

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prayerfully with you every difficult step, MM...

--------------------
'Now if you'll excuse me, I have to appear on a tortilla in Mexico...'
Jesus to Homer Simpson

Posts: 1087 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Miss Molly
Lots of love and all of God's blessing and peace be with you. [Love]

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
JoyfulNoise & Parrot OKief

Ship's pirate
# 2049

- Posted      Profile for JoyfulNoise & Parrot OKief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My love to you Molly, thanks for all your posts - but only post when you can [Smile]
JoyfulNoise xxx

--------------------
Written from my alternative universe.

Posts: 1101 | From: East Anglia in the UK | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JoyfulNoise & Parrot, O'Kief:
My love to you Molly, thanks for all your posts - but only post when you can [Smile]
JoyfulNoise xxx

Echoing Joyful Noise and the others, Molly. [Love]

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for your honesty, Molly. It's helpful to know exactly what's happening. As has been said none of us expects you to entertain us. We know you appreciate what little we are able to do or give you, being able to give or do is reward enough. Marian sounds like a good friend to have.

Yes, things change. That is the hardest part of being depressed: adjusting to situations that you have little or no control over. Looking back and remembering how things were different, and not wanting to think about the future. I'm not going to give you any platitudes. I'm only going to say that we will, as promised, be with you as much as we can for as long as we can. You will feel down at times, but remember that at any given time, someone somewhere in Europe, or the Americas, or Australia, will be thinking of you. Your quilt is a visual and tangible realization of that. And I am glad that you draw strength from it.

Lyra
Shipmate
# 267

- Posted      Profile for Lyra     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Molly. I don't post often, but I follow your thread, and pray for you. Please don't feel you have to post wonderful literature to keep me reading. Stick a smiley on instead! (Such choice now!). And I will continue to pray for you whether you can post or not.

I'm glad you are able to remember that so many people are with you in prayer. I'm sorry things are declining. I will pray that you may have the Christmas you hope for with your family.

God Bless, Molly

Lyra

--------------------
Around and about

St. Sebastian

Staggering ever onward
# 312

- Posted      Profile for St. Sebastian   Email St. Sebastian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since Molly's visit's may be a bit sporadic, it sounds like, I'll start posting about MY visits to her, if you like, though I'm not the word-smith she is. I went over today, ostensibly to vacume and dust before her parents arive Wednesday. I'd picked up a prescription and called to see if she was in the mood for any food treats. I was going to get her taquitos and a fish sandwich at the Crown Burger, one of our favourite fast food joints, but they were closed; some nonsense about the Sabboth, I gather. So Micky D's it was. I got her two (optimistically) fish sandwiches and large fries. When I arrived, I turned a bit too erratically, spilling one of the fry orders into the floorboard of the car. I swept those into the parking lot, much to the rapture of the gulls. Molly and I sat and gossipped about British royalty for an hour or so. We postponed the cleaning until Tuesday, since I'm off that day and that way things will be more sparkling when her mother gets there. Marion, her nurse-friend, arrived to do laundry so I left. I must say, though, I'm a bit unnerved as Molly seems to be developing an obsession with those ancient cultures which entombed servants along with their masters. I mean really, she talks about them incessently and sans an appropriate level of disapproval, imo.

Anyway, she was in good spirits today. I went over last night, bearing Micky D's (hey, it's close, okay?)and we watched Gosford Park (how the English aristocracy avoided being murdered in their beds is really beyond us). We chatted intermittently and had a nice visit.

So, that's my Molly missive, such as it is. I'm sure I'll have something more entertaining to write after T-day as I'm celebrating with Herself and family. [Smile]

--------------------
St. Seb

In Spite of Everything: Yes.

Posts: 962 | From: Burlington, North Carolina | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brent
Shipmate
# 3498

- Posted      Profile for Brent   Email Brent   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for the update St Sebastian. You are truly a saint in the way you care for Miss Molly.

Foe Miss Molly, our prayers are with you always and always in our thoughts. Praise be to God for keeping you in his tender care.

Brent

--------------------
In His Grip...

Posts: 127 | From: On the links | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
zephirine of the roses

Soul of the rose
# 3323

- Posted      Profile for zephirine of the roses   Author's homepage   Email zephirine of the roses   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*~adds a small dab of attar of roses and eau de violettes to molly's o2 mask~*

--------------------
We are, each of us, angels with only one wing. And we can only fly embracing each other."

*~ Luciano De Crescenzo

Posts: 1756 | From: middle of an apple orchard in ny | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Sebastian:
So, that's my Molly missive, such as it is. I'm sure I'll have something more entertaining to write after T-day as I'm celebrating with Herself and family. [Smile]

That's great. [Smile]

Thanks from me too, for your lovely and entertaining update. It's good that you are there. I repeat - it is good that you are there. You are truly a saint for your steadfastness in caregiving. (Do stay on your guard, though, lest you do become ensnared into entombed servitude!)

Give Molly hugs please, from me. [Love] and a few for you, as well....

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim*   Email Duo Seraphim*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy thoughts, my dears. St Sebastian - your blood's worth bottling, as they say here.

I've always rather liked the thought of Thanksgiving - a family time to gather round, share a meal and give thanks, including for each other. We don't really have any equivalent in England or in Australia.

I am in the middle of building works here. Every morning, muscly men come to dig up yet more of my front terrace in order to cure the leaks caused by the defective work done by the clown who built my townhouse some 10 years ago.

So far, they have:

* jackhammered up the tiles (7am start one Saturday morning)
* ground off the so-called waterproof membrane (dust, everywhere)
* changed the slope of the concrete raft by grinding bits of it down( [Eek!] more dust)
* cut holes for new stormwater drains with a drill bit the size of a bucket (dust, truely phenomenal noise)
* removed the bottom three courses of bricks from the front wall of my house (dust, more jackhammers, front wall now jacked up on piers). In the course of this they discovered that no damp course had ever been installed by the bodgers who built my townhouse.

This morning, I found a strapping pair of New Zealanders half way under my garden wall doing something obscure to the new damp course and flashing they have recently installed. It will mean more dust no doubt...

I must be one of the few people in Sydney who is not praying for rain. Generally December,January and February can be wet and humid here - with impressive thunderstorms and rain like a myriad hosepipes. "Il tombe en cordes" as the French say - falling in ropes or pouring with rain.

I think the building works will be complete before any break in the drought. It won't be raining this year, sadly. Centennial Park is dry and brown, even around the lakes. Drought happens here every 6 or 7 years caused by a change in the El Nino current in the South Pacific. Today it is 35 degrees celcius(high 90s) in the City and the bushfire season began a month ago....

--------------------
2^8, eight bits to a byte

Posts: 3967 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Molly dearest,

The bunnies asked me to tell you they are fighting for you as hard as they can. George and Alice also send you their love and lots of purrs.

Alice had a traumatic start to the day today. She'd asked to be let out while I was getting baby B's breakfast ready, so, being a nice sort of person, I let her. About 15 minutes later there was a horrible yowling noise, which I knew could not possibly be from Alice, since she's the world's quietest cat. (It's taken her 3 years to learn to be audible from just the other side of a window!) Deciding that I'd better see what on earth was happening out there, I went out of the back door and looked up to see who or what was making the racket. Poor little Alice was sitting on Baby B's bedroom window sill, looking a little nervous, while the horrible, scary black cat from up the road was yowling at her. [Frown] He was making so much noise that the lady next door had opened her window to look out and see what on earth was happening!

Fortunately, he knows to be scared of me (dare I admit I've turned the hosepipe on him before now in an attempt to defend my pussy cats' territory? [Eek!] ) so he ran away, allowing little Alice to look around cautiously, then make her way over the kitchen flat roof, and down the fence and in the back door to safety!

George - as ever the master of perfect timing - had obviously been woken by all the commotion, so a few moments after Alice and I came in, he wandered into the kitchen to see that everything was all right! [Roll Eyes] So much for him defending her honour! [Disappointed]

Through all this, my dear bunnies had been fortunately unperturbed. They don't seem to be too bothered by the cats, who use their hutch as a convenient springboard to get up to one of the fences, or by next door's dog, who has to come through our garden for his walks, as that's the only access to the back of his house. [Smile]

Anyway, I shall stop this now, and write you a proper letter.

Much, much love,

Beets & co

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
((((((((molly))))))))
Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Molly, I'm so glad to read the quilt is helping you in the way we all hoped when we contributed to its completion.

BTW, if you feel too tired to make really long posts, remember the Everlasting Sentences are designed to be short! [Wink] [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
DMarie

Ship's stray
# 2267

- Posted      Profile for DMarie   Email DMarie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Miss Molly, my thoughts and prayers are with you, too. I'm grateful to read any of your posts, but echo everyone else that you should only post when you feel up to it. Thankfully we have St. Sebastien who can pass on messages for you.

St. Sebastien, thanks again for doing what we all would love to be able to do.

Posts: 163 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nanny Ogg

Ship's cushion
# 1176

- Posted      Profile for Nanny Ogg   Email Nanny Ogg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello Molly

Well I guess it's time to post something on this thread seeing as I've been reading it the last few weeks.

Woke up this morning with the "oh hell it's Monday" feeling - especially as I was off work with asthma most of last week.

I hate dark grey mornings - dark gret cold morning even more. I just cannot be motivated to move from the warmth of my duvet.

It's the way the alarm clock never seems to wake me for long enough to get my fat arse out of bed. It's too conveniently near for me to switch it off and roll over - with the inevitable scream as I realise that an hour has passed and I've overslept (yet again).

It doesn't help when you hear on local radio that the mainline rail service to Paddington is disrupted due to a derailment just down the road. Although I don't head into Paddington it does mean that in this part of West London the roads will be even more congested with anxious and irate commuters trying to get to a nearby tude station. Ho hum. [Frown]

Given a lift by the landlady on the school run - the all singing some repetitive chorus from a new BBC programme - can't remember the name but they like it. Walk from where she parks the car to the Broadway getting strange looks from the school kids ("Mum that lady's got pink hair! Mum her hair is PINK!!!!!!) Mums of course look embarressed because kids are staeing the obvious. [Embarrassed]

Huffed and puffed my way to the office and the little back room that is my "home" for 7 or 8 hours a day depending on whether I get a lunch break.

The desk looks as if a bomb has hit it - well the in-tray does anyway. Luckily I have folders marked "To do" and "Time sheets" and "Filing" but they all need sifting through. Needs a strong cup of coffee. Switch on computer to find lots of emails and internal messages - nearly all temps querying their tax. For some reason I'm seen as an expert on the Inland Revenue - ha ha if only they knew [Big Grin] [Wink]

Still the days passes by fairly uneventfully. Time waiting for the various programmes to start up or close down is spent looking across the patch of green over the road. The tress have lost nearly all their leaves now and the grass has turned to mud in some places with the amount of rain that has fallen in the past week.

Most of the sounds though are of busy West London life - buses parked up with engines running whilst the drivers have their coffee and cigarette; sirens wailing as emergency services try and make their way around the green; people shouting at each other - we lose count of the number of verbal fights that go on outside, let alone physical.

Spend most of the afternoon with an overheating calculator trying to decipher how many hours people have worked - strange how people can't add up [Confused]

Oh well - those who haven't got their timesheets to me will just have to go unpaid this week. I haven't the energy to chase.

Leave the office and head for the bus - which strangely comes as I get there - this is a miracle beyond all description.

Take care Molly and thanks for the little chats we've been having - you've been so encouraging. [Love] [Angel]

--------------------
Buy me a beer and I'm you friend forever

Posts: 4137 | From: Away with the fairies | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Hello all, especially Miss Molly!

I hate punching a time clock. I'm always trying to stay a stay-at-home mom, when actually it's somewhat less work for me to abandon the home front & go to a job. I simply hate-hate-hate conforming to others' schedules.

Today I cut down the tired morning glory in our mailbox flower bed across the road (it's a freestanding one, not against a sunny brick wall as my flower bed is... so was mostly silver-grey sticks with a few gay brave leaves and half-sized flowers...)

Found the Hummingbird plant (originally frozen) in the pink pot I had used to start the morning glories has come back. So pretty.

So now I've a fresh clean empty flower bed around our mailboxes, my sister's & mine, and a pretty pink flower pot with some healthy spring-green hummingbird stems (imagine them growing all that time, sheltered under the morning glories...)

#1 son is home from school now (2:30 p.m.),time to dispense snacks and advice and motherly fussings. He's a Junior in high school, Honors this and Honors that. Rather irreverent at times, very smart, cute to boot. Good kid, if I do say so myself.

I'll leave in a bit to drive him to his new job - he's working a Christmas tree lot! Big tips for cute helpful polite young men! While I'm out I'll try to mail off (finally) the tapes I assembled (for you and for the dark-and-fair lady).

Also an early Christmas gift or two (no expense, don't fuss!), one of which is to be opened whenever you want a more Christmasy atmosphere, and the other when you need a Bunny Booster.

Peace to you. Give St. Sebby a love-tap from me. Tell him the cane syrup is on the way.

--------------------

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Words pretty much fail me -- so ((((((Molly)))))).

Purrs from the feline persons, and prayers from the offspring units and from me. God bless you now and forevermore.

St. Seb, God bless you too.

Rossweisse

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh my dear Molly.. God is holding you so very close to his heart of love....

and in our way, we are too.

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Miss Molly:

It has been a very long time since I have posted on your threads. For that, I offer my humblest apologies – no excuses would suffice.

Thank you for the insight you have provided in the past months, I have read much and prayed much, and posted rarely. I am ashamed at the way I have felt about the things in my life that I am unhappy about when I compare my attitude to yours. I have been so petty. Lord, forgive me.

My daughter (the 7 year-old) started taking piano lessons this fall – she is doing well, and loves it. My wife plays, but rarely since the kids were born because our days are so full of busyness. My son (6 in January) is a handful. So full of love, but with that also come the other emotions that are sometimes overwhelming.

My wife and I are both teaching Sunday School this year (I have an adult class and my wife teaches grade 3 and 4’s). This is a new experience for both of us, and helps to take up some of the free time ( [Wink] ).

I miss our “chats” in the old café [Frown] , the new café just isn‘t the same – and there seem to be less people there lately (or maybe it is just the times that I show up – I don’t access it from work anymore).

You are an inspiration to us all! [Not worthy!]

God bless you.
Stephen

p.s. They put my square near the cats [Eek!] ! Surely that is a sign of the end times!

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

I actually had a quick MSN chat with the Molly last night! I don't usually get to use the computer in the early evening, & so miss her when she's on; what fun!

Hey, Miss M., forgot to tell you, the tape cases are not punctured to prevent over-taping. You should punch out the tabs when they arrive, (unless you want to use them for something else... maybe St. Seb will want to secretly tape your verbal scourgings!)

Did I tell you, my boy who's working his first "real" job at the Christmas tree lot, is earmarking most of his earnings for helping his girl pay for some college courses her scholarships won't cover? Molly (sniffle, tremulous smile, unobtrusively wiped tear), ain't he sweet?

--------------------

Miss_Molly

Toujours gai
Beloved
# 2339

- Posted      Profile for Miss_Molly   Email Miss_Molly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear brothers and sisters, dear shipmates. I am so moved by your generosity and affection. Each time I think I have plumbed an amazing depth of sweetness and regard, the plumb line finds a further depth of love in all of you.

Thank you so much for continuing to tell me about your lives! It may look to others as though I am housebound, but in reality I travel to Australia, to Chinese Gardens and sidewalks under jacarandas, to Louisiana to see beautiful plants I had never heard of and to walk on lovely soft ground, through unfamiliar ground covers, on trains in the United Kingdom, to lost and founds for Virgin Railways, to ancient libraries and cathedrals, into people's alleyways and backyards and backgardens! All of this is such refreshment of spirit.

It may look to others as though I am alone here, but in reality I am surrounded by friends: feline, lapine, reptilian, homo sapiens adults and children. I hear about your days and deeds with most loving interest. I read your posts, receive your gifts, look at your cards taped to my wall, and I admit it, talk sometimes to your photos. I am able to chat with some of you on messenger, which is wonderful, but I chat with you all in my heart. Please know I am united to you in prayer, as well. Praying is one thing that I can do, short of breath and otherwise useless as I may be.

You might be interested in the following tape fragment:

Helpless Invalid: My mother will be staying with me after Christmas. She is worried about picking me up off the floor if I fall.

Male Voice: She can call me and I will come over and yank on your arms.

Helpless Invalid: Please be careful! You know they are only pegged on!

Male Voice: I figure when the pain overrides your laziness you will get up!

By the way, I don't know why St Sebastian objects to accompanying me into the next world. I had seen a program which included footage of Frogmore and noted the lovely double effigy of HM your late Queen Victoria, and her Consort. I had planned a similar marble tribute for myself and St Sebastian, but if he chooses to remain alive, I suppose I must respect his wish. [Disappointed]

--------------------
"I come from a state that raises corn, and cockleburrs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me"

jedijudy*

Jedi defender of ship's cats
# 1059

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy*   Email jedijudy*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Molly, dear Jedi Sister. Just a reminder...in case you forget, that the Jedi Convent has multiple prayers daily for your comfort and peace.

This year we will have two turkeys for Thanksgiving! One will be smoked and one roasted with pecan dressing. There will be so much food here in my small shack that there won't be room for the guests to sit! One of the things we do is to go around the tables telling God what we are thankful for. My first thought is my gratitiude to have you as my dear friend. When you're at that Heavenly banquet, I hope you'll be reminded of the love we all have for you. (And St. Seb doesn't want to go with you? Don't quite understand that.)

<jj bows deeply to her honored sister and to St. Sebastian who has been "gooder'n ary angel">

--------------------
ENFP...do you see a "T" anywhere??? I don't think so.

Posts: 3248 | From: Soon to be inhabiting identity # 333!!! | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Sebastian

Staggering ever onward
# 312

- Posted      Profile for St. Sebastian   Email St. Sebastian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How odd: my memory of that conversation is more like this:

Tyrannical Harridan: You know sometimes I prefer to lay on the floor. It helps my back and I can check to make sure you've cleaned the bottoms of the shelves. You may get a call from the old crone whining that she can't get me off the floor. I expect you to get your ass over here double-quick. She's so incompetant she's liable to pull my arms off.

Gentle, Caring Male Voice: Well, Miss Molly, you know she's old and not well. Perhaps it hurts her to try and manage by herself?

Tyrannical Harridan: Hurt! I'll show her the meaning of hurt! It's laziness, pure and simple, the stupid old biddy. By the way, did you know that in ancient mesopotamia when a Diva. . .I mean, Queen died they would break the legs of a servant and entomb him alive with her? Isn't that sweet?

--------------------
St. Seb

Posts: 962 | From: Burlington, North Carolina | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Hello Molly,

Saturday was a mixture of bright sunshine and heavy downpours, and the little open air market was sparkling after the last rain. I quite like buying a hot dog from one of the stalls and eating it as I wander around. Otherwise I never buy anything – it’s one of those places that does gigantic amounts of cut price fruit and veg for extremely low prices, which not being a family of 6 I would find difficult to manage – but it’s fun to look, and sample the olives, and smile at the pictures which tend to be of puppies with bows round their necks in baskets, and elderly Spitfires, and that sort of thing, before getting on.

It was also nice to look around the newly opened little museum, much smarter than I had expected, with flat screens displaying changing photos or film clips, and models for the children to try out. Considering that my town doesn’t actually have a lot of history I was amazed at how well things were presented in a way that caught the interest and captured the imagination of people of all ages, and I spent at least half an hour there.

From the tall glass windows you look out onto the canal, which has barges and houseboats on it. The towpath is paved in darkish red brick that matches the walls and tiny bridges, and is very smart and modern and together with the equally modern street lamps looks just like the Birmingham canals. As I stood there a houseboat actually sailed under the museum and through the lock on the other side. I was intrigued to see it had a fully decorated Christmas tree in the front – can’t help wondering if it had been left over from the year before.

They also have a lovely café downstairs which opens onto the canal so you can sit out in the summer with a drink and watch the boats, so I had lunch inside, which was nice.

After that I dropped into a pet shop near my flat, which had some lovely little birds, full of life and energy, and two red parrots with lilac tails, all vying noisily for attention. But what I liked best was an endearing little black rat with lovely fur and an alert, streetwise expression. I’d never really thought of rats as pets before but he seemed to have a lot more personality and intelligence than your average mouse, and I came away rather wishing I could have taken him home.

Well, I had better go as I shall be late for my tr**n, which has decided to be early these days, but take care and will be in touch again soon.

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Molly, I thought you might like another view of commuting to London - or rather, the nicer half of a journey to work.

I work in Westminster, travelling in to the new and very spiffy Westminster underground station. The new stations on the Jubilee line have won universal acclaim for their modern design, but Westminster is a bit of an acquired taste. I think you'd have to call the style "industrial" - it's like being inside an enormous hollow grey box with escalators and walkways intertwining, rising and falling and hanging in space all over the place. It's completely different from the claustrophobic enclosed tunnels everywhere else on the system. Sometimes I feel like an extra from the old SF film "Metropolis!" At one point, you can be going up an escalator, look over the handrail and see trains going past almost underneath your feet. It's amazing, but I do feel sometimes like a cog in a giant machine.

If I time my journey right, I come out of the station almost underneath Big Ben just as the clock is bonging out the chimes for 8 am. I've worked here for many years now, but it still gives me a bit of a buzz to walk through Parliament Square, past the statue of Winston Churchill (The Greatest Briton! Yeah!) and think "this is mine".

Next my walk takes me round the side of Westminster Abbey, looking clean and shining on a bright morning like today. A couple of weeks ago the green area to the side of the Abbey was a mass of red with the little Remembrance poppy crosses for Remembrance Day.

Then I walk through Deans Yard, a large tree lined quadrangle at the side of the Abbey. Most of the leaves have fallen from the trees now, but they are still lying around in gold-brown heaps to be swept up. Deans Yard also contains Westminster School - a public (fee paying) school, and at that time in the morning the boys are on their way to early classes. The younger ones are all very cute and Harry Potterish, the older ones look very smart and grown up in their school uniforms and ties and neat short haircuts. They are all very well spoken and earnest, because these are the children of the "elite" - there are probably one or two future Cabinet Ministers in every class.

Sometimes I can hear a choir practising somewhere, through an open window - isn't there something magical about "overhearing" music?

Next I wend my way through a network of little narrow streets lined with narrow, tall old London town houses - this is some of the most expensive property in London, because of its proximity to Parliament. This area looks exactly the same as it must have a couple of hundred years ago. Many politicians live here and sometimes you recognise a familiar face coming out of one of the houses. These streets are among the few in London still lit by gaslight - when I am retracing my steps in the evening in the dark, I can easily imagine a Hansom cab coming round the corner with Sherlock Holmes inside!

Not far to go now - my next stop is the coffee shop on the ground floor of my building, where I grab my daily latte to energise me for a long day behind the computer, with short breaks to lurk on the Ship and see if there is any more news of you, dear Molly.

Love, Sparrow

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Miss_Molly:
Male Voice: I figure when the pain overrides your laziness you will get up!

You two are an absolute scream! Your antics have had me convulsed with laughter many times. I have got to wonder what Molly's Momma is going to think about all of this.

And now to my day...

Tis a proper November day at last! Tis very cold outside, there is driving rain and the sky is so dull and overcast. As I was walking past my tiny front garden I saw that almost all of my bulbs were pushing through. I am now worried that a nasty frost will come along and hurt them. It would be very sad if there were no daffodils, snow drops and tulips to look forward to in Spring. My iris are also coming through. I hope that I don't lose them.

The cubs are back at school after a day off due to sickness. I hope that they are okay. Tis the time when people come down with all sort of sniffs and snuffles. Make sure that you dunk St Seb in disinfectant when he comes visiting, we don't want you getting some sniffles for Thanksgiving.

It was my small cub's birthday recently. Her aunt sent her a couple of books.When she saw what they were she gasped "I am so excited". It was really sweet to watch the cubs sitting on the sofa, snuggled under a blanket. The big cub reading to the small one.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wandering with Hope
Shipmate
# 3431

- Posted      Profile for Wandering with Hope   Email Wandering with Hope   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss Molly -

I am currently trying to teach my daughter (who just received her learner's permit) how to drive. My entire head will be gray by the time she gets her license. We went to the store yesterday (with my son clinging on in the back seat) and as soon as we turn onto the main road there is a duck in the middle of the road. Of course the daughter-unit would NEVER hit a duck so she goes around it (by going in the other lane) luckily no other cars were around. At this point my son is trying to figure out how to get out of a moving car. All was fine after that until we get to the parking lot. It appears that daughter-unit likes to try out a minimum of 6 parking spaces before she finds one she likes. FINALLY we park the car. My son bounds out of the car, comes over to me and without moving his mouth and under his breath says "mom - your driving home right", my reply of course is "hush she'll hear you". His reply is "mom - please drive home - for MY sake". The funniest part was the stunned expression on his face. He looked like he was about to have a nervous breakdown. I wonder if it's possible for a 11 year old to turn gray?

Many hugs,
Wandering w/ Hope

Posts: 113 | From: between the ocean and the mountains | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I had planned a similar marble tribute for myself and St Sebastian, but if he chooses to remain alive, I suppose I must respect his wish. [Disappointed]

Oh, fear not, Miss M; a doorless, windowless room could easily be attached, with a very small slot for food to be passed through from time to time. We can make the arrangements quite easily. [Two face]

PS: St. Seb can answer this if it is easier for all concerned -- did the CD arrive yet?

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sparrow, I enjoyed your walk too...how lovely! You do know that Winston Churchill 's mother was an American? [Wink]

Miss Molly, my boss and I are getting along much better at work, praise be to God. I still plan on looking for a new job come 2003, but for now, it is nice to have her in better spirits.

I rented the Spirit Stallion movie popular here for kiddies...my little niece got very excited and kept commenting the whole time..."You must not cut their [horses'] hair! They DON'T LIKE THAT!" "He just wants to be free, they should let him be free!" And afterwards..."you aren't taking that movie home?" [me] "Well, yes, I must since I rented it" [niece]"You can buy that for me for Christmas, I would like that."

My little 5 year old nephew's latest thing is to force you to look at whatever he is talking about...he wanted me to see the picture he drew...while I was eating dinner, so he stood next to me and forcefully turned my face to where picture was. I admired it and then continued to eat dinner. Then he decided I really needed to try his snacks...I told him "NO" but he kept at me. Finally, he started sticking them one by one in my mom. I was talking about suddenly being forcefed. I just chewed on them...and then realised what was happening...and lost it laughing. It is funny to be dominated by a little fearless 5 year old.

I am glad you have St. Sebastian and Marion to help you. May God bless your time here, we are certainly blessed by you. My prayers are with you. I hope you enjoy Thanksgiving tomorrow.

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
snacks were stuck in my MOUTH not my MOM! Dang it, I am loopy. Arggh. [Smile]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Miss_Molly

Toujours gai
Beloved
# 2339

quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
quote:
I had planned a similar marble tribute for myself and St Sebastian, but if he chooses to remain alive, I suppose I must respect his wish. [Disappointed]

Oh, fear not, Miss M; a doorless, windowless room could easily be attached, with a very small slot for food to be passed through from time to time. We can make the arrangements quite easily. [Two face]
[/i]

What a good idea, dear and chaste master! I believe the Orthodox tradition has a long history of people choosing to be immured for holiness' sake; I am sure that St Sebastian will consider it prayerfully.

I did indeed, receive the hamtaro album yesterday evening; thank you very much indeed.

Welsh Dragon, you inquired how I was enjoying the new Terry Pratchett that Sparrow so generously sent. I loved it, as the Patrician and Sam Vimes are, to my way of thinking, the two pillars of Ankh-Morpork. I see the Assassins' Guild agrees with me. Indeed, there is a theology, of a very British, decent men making their way through somehow variety.

Saint Sebastian, despite his concerns regarding his existence after my demise, is attending our Thanksgiving Day dinner tomorrow. This will give me a good chance to try out the zombie drops that PaulC brought me back from Haiti. (A small dose only, just to see if they will work when used in earnest the day of my funeral. Always thoughtful of others, I am attempting to grant his wish of remaining alive, but in a fashion that will render his immurement not too disagreeable to him.)

--------------------

Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

Happy Thanksgiving to you Miss Molly! Sounds like it will be fun and if I didn't have to drive so far, I'd join in. (Perhaps St. Seb wouldn't notice if someone else just tucked into the kitchen and got him his drink....! I too, was hoping that you've kept that wonderful gold ribbon for him, we'll need something to tie his jaw up with so it just doesn't hang there and flap open during the entombment.)
Praise Him, they who laugh with joy.
Praise Him, they who dance with stars.
Praise Him, they who see more than this earth.
Praise Him all who are loved by Him!
Prayers for you, prayers for all who love you dearly.
Lady A

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Family off to usual Wednesday Bible study. Guaranteed to be at least 1.5 hours longer than usual due to shopping for Thanksgiving side dish materials tonight (God Bless Wal-Mart).

Me home not feeling up to snuff (but definitely up to posting...)

Snuck the Christmas music into the CD player. Simmering water/nutmeg/cloves, just fer fun. Bulldog Ginger snoring counterpoint to "Evening in December" by First Call. Mr. Kitty out protecting the house from alien Toms.

Thinking of dear MM and her loving nearby ones and her parents, and all the lovely people who post a little world here for her.

Happy Holidays, folks.

--------------------

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello, my dear.... there are many airports around the SF airport, as I now well know... facing a homeward journey on the morrow...
I have had a fabulous time away, but am glad to be going home, and to enjoy the familiar things again.
Molly, it is such fun to collect a heartful of memories! I have enjoyed myself, and daily thank God...
I start back chaplaining on Monday, but sometime next week will begin looking for a soft bilby toy, or Australian marsupial similar, to send to you as promised.
I hope you sleep well tonight, secure in the knowledge that God's loving arms cradle you close to her heart!

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Sebastian

Staggering ever onward
# 312

Woman, you DO realize I read this thread? I'll be bringing my own beverages tomorrow, thank you very much. ChastMastr, could I have word with you outside? [Paranoid]

--------------------
St. Seb

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  18  19  20 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016