homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Glory   » Fields of Gold (Page 15)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fields of Gold
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sneaking in on my work computer as my last client hasn't turned up. [Frown]

I was slightly worried in the shower this morning as i realised that although showers have curtains, they have no upper privacy shield. [Eek!]

No problem on the trains today - lots of little muslim children all so neatly and cleanly dressed up, going with Mums and dads to visit relations.

But it's really cold now, and I'll have a long wait at the windiest station north of London. I'll go and pick up some spicy chicken strips from Sam's Halal Chicken shop and munch them while I wait for the train to arrive. Maybe someone will have left a newspaper to read on the seat.

Time to log off before I get caught. [Ultra confused]

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quite pretty journey back tonight in reasonably uncrowded train carriage with beautiful sunset on one side and darkening night on the other. Country villages with old stone houses and chimneys with plumes of smoke, lovely old windows glowing gently with light in the gathering darkness. Journey spoilt only by smelly git who I usually try to avoid coming in just at the last moment and sitting 4 rows away. It was a cold December evening so he felt the heat enough to remove not only his overcoat but also his jacket and just sit there in shirtsleeves. And boy did we know he was there. O for an orange stuck with cloves that I could use as a pomander.
Eggs Benedict
Apprentice
# 1282

- Posted      Profile for Eggs Benedict   Email Eggs Benedict   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Tear]
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Two very jolly young families stopped by Vestry Hour, which I took tonight, to arrange for the baptisms of their young, which will take place at one of our daughter churches, a little outpost in the country, on Easter Sunday. They were rosy from the cold, full of jokes and tales of their weddings and the naughtiness of young relatives. One of the infants was present--a thumping great child of two weeks clad in a tough-guy snowsuit and smiling in his sleep. Lots of stars out on a clear night when I locked up, and the change-ringers were just beginning their practice. God bless you, dear Molly, on this eve of the Feast of St. Nicholas. [Love]

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Warm morning sunshine creeps through my window and wakes me up. Today my Department has a Christmas lunch at a restaurant down the road. We have decided to drink in moderation- determined to enjoys ourselves, but conscious that a bunch of merry chaplains would be in no fit state to work back in the afternoon.
I will make a private toast to a little bunch of people over in the USa, bravely facing the future together, confident in God's loving presence.

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Sebastian

Staggering ever onward
# 312

- Posted      Profile for St. Sebastian   Email St. Sebastian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Went by Molly's at lunch with some odds and ends Mrs. Dillon needed.

Chastmastr, as I walked in your Christmas Hamster was singing to her and she was smiling bemusedly. She named him David and said it was very thoughtful of you to provide his food.

Welsh Dragon, the roses are beautiful and she thanks you.

Mrs. Dillon okayed the posting of her address and their email address.
Email: cats5dilon@MSN.com (the omission of the second "l" is intentional).
Physical: Wayne & Helen Dillon
2740 Worcester Street
Aurora, Colorado 80011

The arrival of the new and wonderous lift chair has been postponed to Monday, possibly even Tuesday. I went to the store and tried to convice them to give me the floor model, but the cold-hearted bastards refused. Mrs. Dillon is fretful about it, so I pray it arrives Monday. Plus it will be so much better for Molly. She is sleeping better, there are catheter issues that should be resolved today (too much information?)and the Hospice nurse practitioner is going by this afternoon to check in on her. She was sort of in and out of a doze while I was there, but when she was in, her sweet spirit shined through. We had a couple of giggles before I left.

Oh, it occurred to me that if anyone wants to email Mrs. Dillon c/o of me, I can take them to her. She's not really comfortable on the computer and the email address above will be monitored by Mr. Dillon in Colorado.

Mrs. Dillon said she read most of the threads to Molly that I took over last night. They cried and read, cried and read. Now if I even mention the Ship Mrs. Dillon will cry. Bless you all.

[It's okay, St Seb, I've corrected the e-mail address]

[ 06. December 2002, 08:29: Message edited by: frin ]

--------------------
St. Seb

In Spite of Everything: Yes.

Posts: 962 | From: Burlington, North Carolina | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Sebastian

Staggering ever onward
# 312

- Posted      Profile for St. Sebastian   Email St. Sebastian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Argh, I should have proofed that. The email address is actually cats5dilon@MSN.com.

Sorry! [Embarrassed]

--------------------
St. Seb

Posts: 962 | From: Burlington, North Carolina | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyra
Shipmate
# 267

- Posted      Profile for Lyra     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Molly,

Thoughts, love, and prayers.

And to Molly's family - the same.

Love

Lyra (Liz)

--------------------
Around and about

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right ... here's us:

We're currently in Philly - the city of brotherly love - staying with my family. My mum's sister married a GI at the end of WW2 and emigrated to the USA. She and mum lost contact in the 70's - the reasons for which are lost in the mists of time - and I tracked down my aunt a few months ago. We're currently staying with my newly found cousins (who are lovely!) and watching the snow fall ... Laura and Jerry have two cats that completely ignore us and a beagle, Daisy, who is very friendly and large of paw. We fly back to the UK tomorrow - God and the weather conditions willing.

And I found this prayer that I thought I'd share. Although it's probably more appropriate for others on the Ship who were closer to Molly than I, I found it really helpful:

"I miss you and am lonely without you. I am devastated that you were taken from me. I am angry that you had to suffer so. It was hard to see you in such pain. But that's not how I will remember you.

I will always remember you full of life, warmth and kindness. I will remember the laughter and the love. I will remember the precious time we shared. I will remember your vitality and your grace.

Your death has left a hole in my life. But as hard as it is to be without you, I take comfort in the knowledge that you are at last at peace and free from pain.

Rest in peace. God bless you and those who you love. Amen"

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hils
Shipmate
# 2251

- Posted      Profile for Hils     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dearest dearest molly, I wish i looked at the boards more! I have only just discovered this one and now have so much I would ahve loved to have told you.
Just so you know I had my ankle op and it all went fine, much better than it was before. Also I have a new job!!!!!!!!! [Yipee] I will be an Admin Assistant in the Path lab of our local hospital.
Anyway, enough of me. YOu and all your family are in my prayers at this time. I pray that you will all feel the love of the Lord holding you close as He calls you home.
We will all miss you so very much and the ship won't be the same without you.
Loads of love from me (and of course my devishly handsome hubby!!!!) not too mention a wag from Sophie the dog!!!!

Posts: 470 | From: Surrey | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fudge

Pictish free citizen
# 425

- Posted      Profile for Fudge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dearest Molly,

I'm just so glad I knew you for a wee while! I'm jealous, you'll get to the Divine Choir before me! I'm going to be in the church choir on the 22nd Dec, soprano, if you're up above watching by then, every note is dedicated to you, dear friend.

Remember - the Northern Lights; crisp autumn leaves; cue Eva Cassidy; laughter; light; no tears ever again; no pain; no sickness; God says "I'll be their God, and they will be my people," and you will be held in His arms and He will say "Welcome home, daughter,"

oh molly - I'm going to miss you!! [Waterworks]

p.s. Seb - keep battling on - we rely on your news!
love from my soul -

Fudge [Love]

--------------------
Stay me flagons ... or maybe tappit hens.

Posts: 347 | From: Aberdeen | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Sebastian

Staggering ever onward
# 312

Everyone will probably think this is the hokiest song on Earth, but I've always loved it. It looks more hokey in print than it sounds when sung, especially as sung in the movie "Trip to Bountiful".

Softly and tenderly Jesus is calling,
Calling for you and for me;
See, on the portals He’s waiting and watching,
Watching for you and for me.

Refrain

Come home, come home,
You who are weary, come home;
Earnestly, tenderly, Jesus is calling,
Calling, O sinner, come home!

Why should we tarry when Jesus is pleading,
Pleading for you and for me?
Why should we linger and heed not His mercies,
Mercies for you and for me?

Refrain

Time is now fleeting, the moments are passing,
Passing from you and from me;
Shadows are gathering, deathbeds are coming,
Coming for you and for me.

Refrain

O for the wonderful love He has promised,
Promised for you and for me!
Though we have sinned, He has mercy and pardon,
Pardon for you and for me.

Refrain

--------------------
St. Seb

zephirine of the roses

Soul of the rose
# 3323

- Posted      Profile for zephirine of the roses   Author's homepage   Email zephirine of the roses   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
i love that song, bro.

it was one of the first i heard as an infant Christian. (not so very long ago. how the time has passed. it IS like a whole 'nother lifetime away)

this song will always draw me in to Jesus' warm embrace... so close that i can hear the beating of His great heart.
`sighhhhhhh [Tear]

--------------------
We are, each of us, angels with only one wing. And we can only fly embracing each other."

*~ Luciano De Crescenzo

Posts: 1756 | From: middle of an apple orchard in ny | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I love it too. Do they still play it on the farmers' program on early Sunday morning radio, I wonder--along with the polkas which are supposed to improve your cows' milk yields.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nanny Ogg

Ship's cushion
# 1176

- Posted      Profile for Nanny Ogg   Email Nanny Ogg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love the song "In Christ Alone" which has found its way into the faves at our church. The last verse is particularly poignant:

"No guilt in life, not fear in death
This is the power of Christ in me
From life's first cry to final death
Jesus commands my destiny
No power of hell, no scheme of man
Can ever pluck me from His hand
Till He returns or calls me home
Here in the power of Christ I'll stand"

Praying for you Molly

--------------------
Buy me a beer and I'm you friend forever

Posts: 4137 | From: Away with the fairies | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found this prayer RE St. Sebastian:

O Lord, grant us a spirit of strength. Taught by the glorious example of you martyr, Saint Sebastian, may we learn to obey You rather than men. Amen.

So many thanks to St. Sebastian, his strength of love, and friendship. For being there for Miss Molly, her family. His namesake would not be ashamed. For being there for us, we all thank you for courage in compassion, a spirit of strength.

Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And now the flip side [Snigger]
Dolphy and BB don't forget that relics from a saint are always in vogue. A finger joint here, a knee cap there and you should be able to raise more than enough money for the project. In case you need some decorating suggestions, try the Catacombs of St Sebastian
A little first century perhaps, but you could make something that would rival this tourist spot on the Appian Way. Since this is a primarily mormon town, may I suggest that we ask visitors to wear bunny slippers as they take the tour? [Killing me]

Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh Molly! I'm so glad the singing hamster made it! I was worried he wouldn't in the snow... I hope you like the bunnies on the Japanese cracker packets -- I saw them and thought of your rabbits, so I had to pick them up for you!

Many many hugs to you -- and St. Sebastian!!

David

Hamster voice: jingle bells jingle bells jingle all the way...

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Still praying and thinking of you, dear Molly. Thank you for your friendship and gentle spirit.
Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
DMarie

Ship's stray
# 2267

- Posted      Profile for DMarie   Email DMarie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Through the tender mercy of our God,
With which the Dayspring from on high has visited us;
To give light to those who sit in darkness and the shadow of death,
To guide our feet into the way of peace.
Luke 1

Continued prayers that you are surrounded by peace and feel the love from all of us. St. Seb (who really must be a saint!) has kept us posted so we know how courageous and gracious you continue to be.

Love and blessings to you
DM

Posts: 163 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
JoyfulNoise & Parrot OKief

Ship's pirate
# 2049

- Posted      Profile for JoyfulNoise & Parrot OKief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today dear Molly has been good to me.
The weather, though slightly cold, was good, making my job an easy one. The elderly folk boarding my bus today were in good spirit, and some even joked about our breakdown yesterday, asking if I had brought supplies, just in case!

As I said earlier I went swimming at lunch time before going home for a rest.

After work this evening I sat 'Steaming' on my Nebzulizer at the computer screen before going to a Signing Christmas Party - which was most hilarious. The people present are all LEARNING signing, most for many more years than myself. 'Twas great to get together with them all - and remarkable to find out that at least 15% of them were involved in Signing in Liturgy. Made me feel really at home.

Some folk had brought their kids along, and one wee lass of 7 years asked if she could get up and sign a song. She said we had to sng it - and she would sign it - so we all sang Away In A Manger, and she, who has learnt signing through her Mum going to classes, signed it so beautifully. A real show stopper, and much merriment too.

Well Molly, I have a candle lit for you - follows me around the house - yes the kids have commented on its occassional trip up stairs(!). So now I will take it in the kitchen where it will burn brightly by the washing up bowl.

T'was lovely to speak briefly with you tonight, thank you for your very kind message (though IMHO undeserved). Pass on my best wishes to all in your household at the moment, and special thoughts and prayers for your dear father so far away.

May God continue to richly bless you dear Molly.
Good Night & God Bless,
JoyfulNoise & Parrot, O'Kief

--------------------
Written from my alternative universe.

Posts: 1101 | From: East Anglia in the UK | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dearest Molly, (and her dear readers)

The weather, the weather!

Last night was the spookiest night I've ever spent. The power went off at midnight from the ice storm, and I spent the remainder of the time til dawn huddled with Fearless beneath the blankets on the sofa. Large tree limbs were falling everywhere, but in the dark they sounded heavy enough to be entire trees. [Eek!] I cringed at every one that fell, waiting for it to appear through my roof. Then a transformer blew in the subdivision behind me, and a live power line, I suppose was dangling because I could see the electricity arcing from time to time - like a fireworks display.

We didn't sleep a wink.

I'm online briefly now, to sign on for the prayer vigil tonight and to send messages from Wandering with Hope. Her power is still out (I have power and no phone and she has phone, but no power.. [Smile] ) I had to go to the country store up the road to call her at a "75 cents for 3 minutes" pay phone.

She says to send her love and that she is praying tonight. I'm also expecting to be praying by candlelight, as every 5 minutes or so, my power cuts out. Giant chunks of trees are still falling in the yard. [Frown]

Goodnight, much love and the usual paw pats and purrs. [Love]

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

jedijudy*

Jedi defender of ship's cats
# 1059

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy*   Email jedijudy*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Molly! [Tear]

You have been constantly in my heart, my prayers and my thoughts today. The tears run down my face, but a great many tears are of joy! Dearest, you've brought such joy to so many people, and there is much joy on the Ship, for you will be in Paradise!

I'm glad the hallucinations are pleasant, nothing like a little entertainment in the day!

It's stinkin' hot here, again. [Ultra confused] After recently having to use a blanket at night, now I would almost need to put the air conditioner on. I just absolutely refuse to do that in December! So, all the fans are running full tilt, and we're wearing the summer PJ's.

Jasmine is laying under the Christmas tree, making a picture of contentment to pass on to you. Snuffy is watching the decorating activities with great interest, and Belle gives kitty kisses to anyone who stands still long enough. (I'm sure they're for you!)

Melissa and I send all our love, tender hugs and gentle thoughts.

jj...waving her lightsaber in a dazzling display of Victory for Sister Molly...

--------------------
ENFP...do you see a "T" anywhere??? I don't think so.

Posts: 3248 | From: Soon to be inhabiting identity # 333!!! | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim*   Email Duo Seraphim*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
More of God's country

Tasmania

Australia is a big place - three timezones big in fact. But Tasmania is a place you can easily tour around in two week - which is certainly not something that can be said of the other States.

For some reason there are echoes of European landscapes in Tasmania - England's fields, Norway's coastline, France and its orderly landscape. it's on a smaller scale to the rest of Australia and you can drive all day and hardly see another car. The climate is temperate with summer temperatures climbing to the mid 20's (mid 70's)with cool nights.

Tasmania was where they sent the worst and most recalcitrant of the convicts - the ones they weren't game to have on the mainland. Although they were forcibly transported to Australia and then on to Van Diemen's Land as it was then called, the "ticket of leave" men and women who were eventually released must have wondered at the beauty of the landscape, so different to their homes in England. It must have given them consolation.

The Tamar Valley south of Hobart reminds me of parts of Kent, with its hedgerows and hopfields. That temperate climate is the reason that a lot of chocolate sold in Australia is actually made in Tasmania. I bought the most splendid cherries from a roadside stall there - as red as roses, as big as golf balls and as sweet as a kiss.

But what most people think most of in Tasmania is the wilderness. The Franklin River area is perhaps the best - with its rushing river running beneath the enormous mountain ash gum trees and the giant man ferns, as high as a small tree with their crown of fronds. It's a little like Argyll in Scotland. (Heavens - another part of God's country I forgot to name!)

Tasmania's a beautiful place - a little hokey, a long way off the usual tourist beat.

Love and prayers yet again, to you Molly and to your parents and to Marion.

I have noted the modest proposals concerning the miraculous blood of St Sebastian (whose blood is worth bottling more than ever, as we all know)and the internal decor of his black marble monument. I thoroughly approve. [Big Grin]

--------------------
2^8, eight bits to a byte

Posts: 3967 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
St. Sebastian

Staggering ever onward
# 312

Enough of the schemes for my entombment. I have come up with a viable alternative. Ushabti figures. Little statuettes the Egyptians placed in their tombs to serve them in the afterlife. Since I'm no sculptor and even the cottage industry in ushabti-making is no more, I'm thinking Weebles. The don't fall down, always a commendable quality in a servant. Of course, they don't have arms, either. Well, perhaps action figures of one sort or another. She wouldn't need as many of them, what with their super-powers and all.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to interview tasters.

--------------------
St. Seb

Cusanus

Ship's Schoolmaster
# 692

- Posted      Profile for Cusanus         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have just returned from the edge of the wilderness, as described by Duo Seraphim. Stood at Cockle Creek--as far south as you can go by vehicle in Australia, looking at the mountains rising behind Ida Bay. All it lacked was the Sophie riding at anchor and Stephen Maturin on the beach examining the flora and fauna.
Posts: 3120 | From: The Peninsula | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss Molly--

(hug)

Thought of you, and thought of this--especially the last verse.

If you go to

Lord of the Dance lyrics/tune

you can hear the music.

I danced in the morning when the world was begun,
And I danced in the moon and the stars and the sun,
And I came down from heaven and I danced on the earth,
At Bethlehem I had my birth.

Refrain

Dance, then, wherever you may be;
I am the Lord of the Dance, said he.
And I’ll lead you all wherever you may be,
And I’ll lead you all in the dance, said he.

I danced for the scribe and the Pharisee,
But they would not dance and they would not follow me;
I danced for the fishermen, for James and John;
They came to me and the dance went on.

Refrain

I danced on the sabbath when I cured the lame,
The holy people said it was a shame;
They whipped and they stripped and they hung me high;
And they left me there on a cross to die.

Refrain

I danced on a Friday and the sky turned black;
It’s hard to dance with the devil on your back;
They buried my body and they thought I’d gone,
But I am the dance and I still go on.

Refrain

They cut me down and I leapt up high,
I am the life that’ll never, never die;
I’ll live in you if you’ll live in me;
I am the Lord of the Dance, said he.

Refrain

(LORD OF THE DANCE © 1963 Stainer & Bell Ltd. (administered by Hope Publishing Company, Carol Stream, IL 60188).

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
zephirine of the roses

Soul of the rose
# 3323

- Posted      Profile for zephirine of the roses   Author's homepage   Email zephirine of the roses   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Sebastian:
Enough of the schemes for my entombment. I have come up with a viable alternative. Ushabti figures. Little statuettes the Egyptians placed in their tombs to serve them in the afterlife. ... Well, perhaps action figures of one sort or another. She wouldn't need as many of them, what with their super-powers and all.

would playmobil figures do? they have cats....

--------------------
We are, each of us, angels with only one wing. And we can only fly embracing each other."

*~ Luciano De Crescenzo

Posts: 1756 | From: middle of an apple orchard in ny | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

- Posted      Profile for Willyburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
St. Seb, perhaps the Bible Action Figures on the Gadgets For God page fit the bill? Or even Bibleman action figures. Come to think of it, they too belong on Gadgets for God. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--
Why is it that every time I go out to buy bookshelves, I come home with more books?

Posts: 835 | From: Arizona, US | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zephirine of the roses:would playmobil figures do? they have cats....[/QB]
Playmobils rock.

The cats are good, but don't miss the penguins.

Rossweisse // with an entire Playmobil colony

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
St. Sebastian

Staggering ever onward
# 312

By the way, ya'll, let's not forget Marian in our prayers. She is doing far more than I am with much less fanfare and she's losing a dear, longtime friend. She is aggressively overseeing and modifying Molly's medical care with steely determination. She's doing the really important stuff and it's much harder on her than me, so please remember her.

Thanks!

--------------------
St. Seb

babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
By the way, ya'll, let's not forget Marian in our prayers.

I would also like people to remember Timothy L in their prayers. He brought us news right at the very start that Molly had been taken to hospital with suspected pnemonia. Molly took a very, very bad turn in hospital during her first does of Chemo, Timothy was the one who repeated Molly's wishes of "No resusitaion" to the nursing staff.

Please remember Timothy. He is hurting really badly.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim*   Email Duo Seraphim*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
quote:
By the way, ya'll, let's not forget Marian in our prayers.

I would also like people to remember Timothy L in their prayers. He brought us news right at the very start that Molly had been taken to hospital with suspected pnemonia. Molly took a very, very bad turn in hospital during her first does of Chemo, Timothy was the one who repeated Molly's wishes of "No resusitaion" to the nursing staff.

bb

Absolutely. My prayers and support for you both!

I propose the playmobil girl with cats for Marian's ushabti and the knight in armour for Timothy L, (as I'm not allowed to mention bottled blood any more)

--------------------
2^8, eight bits to a byte

Posts: 3967 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Molly

I wonder whether you may find comfort in these words of Emily Bronte

No coward soul is mine,
No trembler in the world's storm-troubled sphere:
I see Heaven's glories shine,
And faith shines equal, arming me from fear.

O God within my breast,
Almighty, ever-present Deity!
Life--that in me has rest,
As I--undying Life--have Power in Thee!

Vain are the thousand creeds
That move men's hearts: unutterably vain;
Worthless as withered weeds,
Or idlest froth amid the boundless main,

To waken doubt in one
Holding so fast by thine infinity;
So surely anchored on
The steadfast rock of immortality.

With wide-embracing love
Thy spirit animates eternal years,
Pervades and broods above,
Changes, sustains, dissolves, creates, and rears.

Though earth and man were gone,
And suns and universes ceased to be,
And Thou wert left alone,
Every existence would exist in Thee.

There is not room for Death,
Nor atom that his might could render void:
Thou--Thou art Being and Breath,
And what Thou art may never be destroyed.

I found these words a comfort when I lost my favorit cousin some years ago. I know I have never met you or had a conversation with you but I feel I know you from your postings and I'm gonna miss you.

I'll stop now as I'm upsetting myself and as I work in a predominantly male environment, that would not be a good idea.

God bless you Molly

Tina (Kitten)

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Molly,

I'm working at home today which means I'm sitting at my computer looking out at the London street, with some very nice Victorian houses in London brick (it's a kind of dark brown colour, different to most other bricks) opposite. Recently in the caf&eactue we played I spy and I used an orange skip (a kind of dumpster for building materials) that was opposite my window but it's not there any more. However I can see everyone coming and going, I can see when the postman is coming and when people take their children to and from school, so what with that and the Ship, not much work gets done. It's pretty cold today in London and all the children are bundled up, but there hasn't been any snow - some parts of Britain are supposed to get it today but we won't.

It is so comforting to us to read all the lovely words here, I hope it's comforting to you too. I wish I could give my sick friend the same kind of thing but I don't think she knows about heaven.

My mind is currently occupied with what I should be doing for work (I'm planning an experiment that involves messing with the minds of stroke patients for a change, instead of messing with the minds of young children, and I'm also dragging myself back about 5 years mentally to reanalyse some old data that, of course, I said I'm never going to touch again - eating my words there).

Also I'm trying desperately to plan the sleeping arrangments for the Dublin meet which isn't till February but I need to book it all now - at the moment it looks like Tigglet, Strathclydezero and Corfe will be fighting unarmed combat to see who gets to sleep on the sofa and who has to bed down in the window box!

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Clíona
Shipmate
# 2035

- Posted      Profile for Clíona   Email Clíona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Molly,

This morning is a beautiful winter morning in Ireland. No rain! Just clear blue skies and a dusting of hoarfrost icing over the fields. It took my breath away as I stepped outside to come to work. I'm so glad I've moved out of the city. As I drove to work, the dawn broke, turning the wispy clouds to pink candy-floss.

I went to see Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets last night, which probably accounts for the feeling that I haven't slept well. I mean, someone could have warned me that there were horrible monster spiders in it! Yes ok, I had read the book, but I must have skipped that bit. It was very scary, but very heartening, when Harry triumphed again over He Who Must Not Be Named. (Sorry, hope I didn't give away the ending!) What I thought was really really cool in the film was the howler that Ron got from his Mum telling him off, in front of the whole school too! A big red envelope with teeth turned up during his dinner and started berating him in his mother's voice. I felt so sorry for the poor kid! Probably cos I can identify with him - I always seemed to know when my Mum would have disapproved of something I was doing and always imagined hearing her tell me off. She didn't even need howlers!

Ah - mothers are wonderful things. Mrs Dillon, thankyou for Molly.

St Sebastian and Marian, thankyou and God bless you for all you are doing.

Molly, a stor. Your friendship has been very precious to me. Give my regards to Granuaile, the Pirate Queen, when you meet her. Beidh tu i mo chroi i gconai. [Read as: Beg thoo i m'o cree i go-nee]

Le gra,
Cliona

Bless the Lord, my soul
And bless God's holy name
Bless the lord my soul,
Who leads me into life

--------------------
Starting (yet) again...

Posts: 1262 | From: Back in Dublin | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss Molly, I’ve never posted descriptions of my days here – they are filled with boring work and annoying corporate silliness. But right now I am watching something beautiful that I want to share with you.

It’s early morning here in California and I’ve been praying for you for nearly an hour. Now, outside of my window, the darkness has broken and the new day is dawning. The horizon is afire with color that promises warmth and light and all of the joys of a new day. The inky blackness of the sky is slowly giving way to indigo, then blue. It feels to me as if God himself is throwing back the night like a old blanket.

Will it be like this for you, I wonder? Your night has been long and has grown dark, indeed. But now I imagine God pulling the covers off of you and crying out, “Wake up, sleepyhead! It’s a brand new day!”

I think that every sunrise I see will remind me of this moment and of you, at least a little.

scot

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Miss Molly

Listen to this thread for ages but am not the sort who likes to but in however Scots post reminded me of something.

I say my prayers in a morning looking out over the city. At this time of year it is often dark and gloomy in Sheffield. However at the start of the week I was getting up later than usual. The result was whereas the world was still dark when I got up the sun rose during the prayer time. What is especially lovely is as the light comes slowly one by one the street lights go out and I can actually trace this slowly occuring while I pray. I feel especially blessed when I actually get to see the point when one of them flickers and shuts down due to light of the coming day.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

- Posted      Profile for Willyburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
By the way, ya'll, let's not forget Marian in our prayers. She is doing far more than I am with much less fanfare and she's losing a dear, longtime friend. She is aggressively overseeing and modifying Molly's medical care with steely determination. She's doing the really important stuff and it's much harder on her than me, so please remember her.

Thanks!

Yes, St. Seb, please pass our blessings on to her as well.

Marian, please accept my special gratitude. Molly and I spent some time over the last few months chatting on MSN and telling old hospital stories. You were mentioned a few times -- all good. [Smile] She had made a passing reference to Scutari, which had not made an impression on me at the time. It has been so many years since training, I had forgotten that particular bit of our heritage. It was good for me to go reclaim that. I am glad you are there to hold the lamp for all of us.

Thank you, Marian, for standing in the gap. May the Lord bless and guide your hands as you minister to Molly. May He also bless and comfort your heart. We have been privileged to know Molly through The Ship. May we not forget all those who are facing a greater loss; you and St. Seb and Molly's family. We hold you all in our hearts. [Love]

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--
Why is it that every time I go out to buy bookshelves, I come home with more books?

Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

quote:
Originally posted by babybear:

Yes, Timothy, we hold you up as well. May the Lord give you comfort and peace at this time.

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--

welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Molly,

Thank you so much for the chat last night. It was very good to have a conversation without all that noise in the background (thinking back to Tigg’s party…) I’m sure that if we had met at college we would have been hanging out drinking coffee together...And it is so good that we were able to find each other to talk to like this, even on opposite sides of the world.

There is something I wanted to tell you about, about my mum’s death.

Mum was in the hospice – a lovely, caring place though a bit frilly - and was originally expected out in a few days.

I was awakened at 5 am in the morning with a violent shock. I was suddenly certain that this was the last day – to be exact, that she would die in the next 24 hours.

It was overwhelming. At this time I considered myself to be agnostic, having failed to reconcile the events of the preceding year with the idea of a loving God. But it felt very much like a message (I have to say that this sort of thing is quite perturbing if you are a shrink). I thought, “If I still believed in angels I would think this was angelic”.

I staggered around the house for 3 hours– spent a lot of time in the bathroom, an unexpected but I suppose logical effect of the interesting experience- I thought “I can’t just materialize at 5am in the morning at the hospice saying I’ve had a premonition my mother’s imminently going to die, they will think I’m mad ”. So I made my way over at 9.

The doctor in charge of the hospice was pretty staggered to see me, as she wasn’t expecting any imminent deterioration. “So, you don’t think mum’s going to die today then?” I said as calmly as I could, “well… that’s good .” “You.look.upset.maybe.you’d.better.stay.here.after.all.” she replied.

And inevitably, as this story must go, mum’s breathing and skin colour subtly changed in the early afternoon. I sat one of the nurses down and explained that I thought that death was not far away. I also had a hunch that if I put my arms around mum and called her name and kissed her she would wake up – and she did – so we received the sacraments together. She had been a little muddled in the morning but her eyes were now open and clear.

“You’ve been so wonderful," I said. “ Really ?” she replied, with a somewhat dubious and humorous intonation. “So supportive and loving,” I said. “Ah,” she said in very decided and Welsh tones. “Then I am entitled …?” I never found out what she was intending to be entitled to, but I had a few intelligent guesses and the answer to all of them was “Yes!”

At around this point she announced that she could see 2 people by the bed, although I couldn’t get her to define this vision/hallucination any more clearly. She didn’t seem at all afraid.

I had fully expected this to be the worst day of my life, and in a way I suppose it was, but I felt enormously, well, grateful, as well. Grateful for the chance to be there, grateful for the intuition that had made that possible. When my mum woke up for the last time, I thought, this is wonderful that I have this precious time to speak to her again and say goodbye and tell her how special she is. It felt like the most fantastic gift. You know, people in the Middle Ages used to pray to be spared a “sudden death…”

And what happened after was simply so beautiful. I had phoned her best friend and we lit candles. The room was full of scented stocks and old-fashioned roses from my garden – her favourites. We played tapes of gentle religious music and the light in the garden outside slowly faded and night fell. I held a rose close to her face so that she could smell the perfume and I talked about the good memories we had had. I slept by her side - in a reclining easy chair - as the night grew late and she died quietly at 2am. It was only peaceful.

Please excuse such a long post, but I wanted to share this with you. And I hadn’t wanted to speak about it before as Death is a slightly unnerving and rather off-putting visitor to most people’s social conversation. But I thought it was the right time now.

And now I really have to go and see a patient…

Lots of love to you and yours,

WD xxx

Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My darling Molly,
Today is a very cold day here. They say we may have some snow tomorrow, which would be wonderful. Jessie and Brandy both love the snow and Jessie has great fun chasing snowballs. Jack and I have decided if we get enough snow, we shall build a snowman in the middle of my back garden.
Last night we met up with some friends and went out for a wonderful Thai meal. The place we eat at has what they call an open mic night on a Thursday. This means that anyone can come along and sing, or play some music. The guy that runs it is a fantastic singer and guitarist... anyway, Jack bullied me into taking my violin along last night [Eek!] . I asked the singer if he knew a certain favourite song, he did and we played it together. At the start of the song I said over the microphone that I was dedicating this performance to a very dear friend, Miss Molly. The song we played was Fields of Gold. [Wink]

You are forever in our thoughts and our prayers,
Jessie and Brandy send you waggie tails and kisses, and Jack and I send you our love and hugs.
Bless you and yours dear Molly. [Love]

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Sebastian

Staggering ever onward
# 312

I spoke with Mrs. Dillon this morning and the Hospice care is paying off. Molly is feeling much better today. I'm going to get a prescription for Ritalin for her to offset the soporific effect of the Morphine (I don't know why I always capitalize that word!). She's hopeful that she might actually muster the energy for another post in the next few days, if the ritalin does it's job. The prognosis is unchanged, of course, but the quality of life is improving, at least today.

Some of you asked if it was still okay to call. Mrs. Dillon said the calls are welcome, though they may have to be short, and she promised to tell the caller if it wasn't a good time or Molly wasn't up to it, and I assured her nobody would be offended in the least.

We all know that Molly is a unique individual. It seems she's taken that a bit far, however. A sample of her tumours was sent to the Mayo Clinic and they are baffled. They cannot figure out what kind of cancer it is! That's our Molly; maintaining an air of mystery to the very last!

--------------------
St. Seb

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Molly, so you and I are both feeling a bit brighter today! [Wink] The effect of the Ritalin could be good - I have always been concerned about your hyperactivity!!!! Have another long distance hug from Smudgie Towers, my friend.

The boys are sat by the coffee table, eating soup (my poor carpet!) and watching Madeline. Have you seen it? It is a lovely video. They have only seen it about 534 times so far. Smudgelet is all cosy in his PJs and dressing gown, waiting for Grandad to come and read him a story. Tiddles is smartly attired in his cub uniform (oh, the soup, the soup) ready for his weekly late night. He's hoping to get his Athlete's badge tonight.

We've had sad news today with the passing of my uncle. The boys didn't really know him, but I was very fond of him. We're now awaiting a phone call so we can ship Dad up to the Midlands to see the family and go to the funeral. Typically, my sister in the Midlands has just paid for her train ticket to come down here to visit him next week! Hmmm... these things are sent to try us! I'm sure we'll find a way round it, I'm just not sure what.

I have booked Smudgelet's adoption celebration/baptism service today. If you get a glimpse down from Heaven, do watch my boy on that special day. I am looking forward to it immensely. With Tiddles it was really really special. They'll be in their Sunday best, like in the photo but probably with their snazzy waistcoats too. Well, with two such good-lookers in the family, they have to be seen at their most stunning, you know! And especially as my daughter-in-laws-to-be will almost certainly be there. [Smile]

Well, I must go and feed those two ravenous cats and get myself ready to brave the supermarket for the first time in weeks. My love and prayers to you and all whom you love at this time. (((Molly)))

~o~

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's ok, St Seb. I quite understand. [Smile] I called yesterday night (about 10 am for you)and left message on answering service. Assuming that's easier for everyone anyway.

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
marmot

Mountain mammal
# 479

- Posted      Profile for marmot   Email marmot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Molly,

It has been an honor to walk a few steps with you on your path. Thank you for allowing us to glimpse this process of yours, and for patiently allowing us to participate in the ways that we are able.

I believe that many of us have been changed by what you have shared. In that way, your presence on the Ship will remain, even though your distinctive voice is stilled.

Goodbye, my shipmate and kindred spirit. Save a seat for me on the other side.

with a prayer and a gentle squeeze of the hand,

marmot

--------------------
Join me in "The Legion of Bad Monkeys"

Posts: 2754 | From: The land of Saint Damien | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Sebastian

Staggering ever onward
# 312

Just got back from Molly's where I delivered the Ritalin. I didn't stay as the Hospice nurse was there to do Hospice nursey things. Hospice is the most wonderful organization and are making things SO much better for Molly and her mom. Someone asked if Molly had a favourite charity to which memorial donations can be made. She does. It's Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. They rescue animals and keep them forever or until they find homes. They never kill them (they also do free or cheap spaying and neutering). Donations can be sent to:

Best Friends Animal Sanctuary
5001 Angel Canyon Drive
Kanab, Utah 84741
PH:(435)644-2001

--------------------
St. Seb

bee_of_good_cheer

Nativity Play
# 3672

- Posted      Profile for bee_of_good_cheer   Email bee_of_good_cheer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
a wee story for molly.

a cat's christmas story

This was first told on the radio by Paul Harvey many years ago:

When Jesus was born in the stable in Bethlehem, one of the animals there was a dusty little tabby cat.

It was cold in the stable, and the baby started to cry. The little tabby cat washed and washed and washed until his coat was clean and shiny, and then jumped into the manger and lay down next to little Jesus and began to purr. He was so warm, and his purr so soothing, that soon the baby had gone to sleep.

Mary wanted to thank the cat, so she drew her initial on his head with her fingertip. And from that day to this, every tabby cat has worn a letter "M" above its eyes - the mark of the grateful virgin.

Author Unknown

--------------------
how many angels can dance on the head of a pin? (ponders zephirine of the roses)

Posts: 39 | From: earth | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stable Cat

Nativity Play
# 3657

- Posted      Profile for Stable Cat   Email Stable Cat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
now then, meow, i must protest, i heard that story slightly differently, and since i'm the stable cat, i think i know best!

what i know of this story is that it was catching a nasty rat that made the virgin mary pleased enough to pat my head, and leave an "m" there for all good tabbies after me!

meow!

--------------------
nicolemrw says "meow!"

Posts: 85 | From: the stable | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
bee_of_good_cheer

Nativity Play
# 3672

- Posted      Profile for bee_of_good_cheer   Email bee_of_good_cheer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
perhaps it was your littermate who supplied the purring. mary treasured you both. [Angel]

--------------------
how many angels can dance on the head of a pin? (ponders zephirine of the roses)

Posts: 39 | From: earth | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016