homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Glory   » Fields of Gold (Page 16)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fields of Gold
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Ship has suddenly got very weird with this influx of people wandering round in costume for the Nativity play. I can't make out who most of them are. All I know is, I'm not one, there aren't any downtrodden sprites in the Bible.

Seeing some of the names reminds me that last week our secretary and I were working away when someone entered our office with a 3 foot high teddy bear with a bow round its neck and asked us to guess its name. I was about to say "Voldemort" but she said I had to choose a name from the list she carried and if I guessed right I could win the bear. As it was too late to back out I looked down the list for the most unlikely name and found myself looking at such things as:

Herod
Joseph
Balthazar
Melchior
Casper
Tony
George W

As these had all been taken and I was left with a selection of seriously cute names, I discovered I had no money on me and expunged it from my mind as soon as she left the room. I can now reveal that its name was really Noel, but I still think Voldemort would have been better.

DMarie

Ship's stray
# 2267

- Posted      Profile for DMarie   Email DMarie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Sebastian:
Hospice is the most wonderful organization and are making things SO much better for Molly and her mom. Someone asked if Molly had a favourite charity to which memorial donations can be made. She does. It's Best Friends Animal Sanctuary. They rescue animals and keep them forever or until they find homes. They never kill them (they also do free or cheap spaying and neutering). Donations can be sent to:

Best Friends Animal Sanctuary
5001 Angel Canyon Drive
Kanab, Utah 84741
PH:(435)644-2001

Thanks St. Seb, both for the good news that Hospice is helping Molly be more comfortable and also for the address for the charity.

My prayers continue for Molly, her mother, St. Seb, everyone here, and I've definitely added Marian and TimothyL (who was very kind to me on the Cats thread, IIRC).

Molly, you continue to inspire me.

Love
DM

Posts: 163 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy*

Jedi defender of ship's cats
# 1059

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy*   Email jedijudy*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh Molly! I just wanted to remind you about something.

Don't forget to tweak my toe. I will probably be surprised, but very pleased!

Just wanted to make sure you remember! [Wink]

jj

--------------------
ENFP...do you see a "T" anywhere??? I don't think so.

Posts: 3248 | From: Soon to be inhabiting identity # 333!!! | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim*   Email Duo Seraphim*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Molly,

I'm glad the Hospice care is helping you and that you are feeling more comfortable. So maybe you are up to another trip to God's country?

Argyll (Scotland)

In 1996, I became very ill and had to stop work for a while. When I was feeling better, my parents took me on a trip to Argyll and the Western Isles. It gained instant promotion to God's country.

We stayed in Wolsley Lodges, which are slightly posh bed and breakfast places. They are private houses where the owners let out a room for the might and provide home cooked breakfast the next day. The first day we drove north from Harrogate up to Hadrian's Wall. Intellectually, it's possible to comprehend the idea of a frontier wall running right across the North of England - actually seeing it as it runs across the fields and follows the line of the hilltops is quite a different matter. The effort and care the Romans took in building it is evident,even today.

That night we stayed in a beautiful old manse in Lockerbie, where the owners let the Black Spangled chickens roam free among the herbaceous borders. Maybe there was something special in the borders, for my boiled breakfast egg next morning remains one of the best I've had. In fact the food was a joy throughout the trip - venison, wild salmon, raspberries and cheeses.

From there we toured on towards Glencoe - a wildly lovely but troubled place - to our base outside of Oban. What a joy it was to walk in the mountains and beside the lochs!

I have a holiday snap at home that I had enlarged and framed - one of those bizarre chances of light where a shot with an ordinary camera really works. It was taken on a fair summer's day of the castle of Eillan Domnann, perched above the loch. It is not a grim keep but rather like a far-away fairytale castle. Above it are lines of fair-weather cloud and high blue sky. In the distance further down the loch, the island of Skye can be seen, mysterious and beautiful, with the Paps of Skye on the horizon.

We stayed on Skye at yet another lodge, that had once belonged to the second son of the MacLeod, the old clan chief. I have a deep love of malt whisky, so the Talisker distillery was not to be missed. Sadly, most of the distilleries no longer malt (i.e. sprout) the barley on the premises, although we did see the malting floor. The stills themselves are fascinating - and of course with any factory tour, you just have to sample the products. I also happily sampled the products at Glenmorangie and Laphraoig, just to make sure that I understood how the whole process worked...

Scots Gaelic is still spoken in Argyll and the Western Isles. It sounds sibilant and somehow furry in its cadences.

We went on to Mull, with its convoluted wild inlets and its fine cheddar cheese. From there, I took the ferry to Iona, on the south-western tip of Mull. There was a slight sea-mist as pilgrims crowded onto the ferry. Iona has a wonderful religious community. It is also the island where many of the great and the good of Scotland are buried. The church there is quiet and spiritual - people come there on retreat for a month or a year or to stay.

The Celts believed that the south-western shores of a land were special. They were the places where the next world was very close. The souls of the dead would gather there to journey across the sea into the next life. They are not sad, but tranquil, reflective spots.

I only promote places I visit to God's country for a good reason. The good reason for Arygll and the Western Isles was that I found healing and peace there.

God bless,

--------------------
2^8, eight bits to a byte

Posts: 3967 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Joan Rasch
Shipmate
# 49

- Posted      Profile for Joan Rasch   Email Joan Rasch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
Oh Molly! I just wanted to remind you about something.

Don't forget to tweak my toe. I will probably be surprised, but very pleased!

Just wanted to make sure you remember! [Wink]

jj

This reminds me of a story from L M Montgomery's Diary. (author of Anne of Green Gables, etc.) Montgomery had made a pact with a dear friend of hers called Frede (for Frederica) that whoever died first would try if possible to communicate with their surviving friend. Frede died during the 1918 flu epidemic. Montgomery relates an incident of a few weeks later, in which she was with her cat Daffy - a great cat, but ordinarily not very affectionate. Montgomery says she whispered pleadingly, "Frede, if you are here make Daff come over to me and kiss me". And that is what the cat did.

Montgomery does go on to say that although the incident seems ridiculous when written out, that she did gain some comfort from the experience.

Well, who can say? A couple of nights ago, I was having trouble falling asleep and started mentally reciting the Jesus Prayer. At one point, for about half a second, I suddenly felt very strongly aware of the Ship prayer vigil.

Joan Rasch

--------------------
* A cyclist on the information bikepath

Posts: 509 | From: Boston, MA USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
splosh
Shipmate
# 2743

- Posted      Profile for splosh   Email splosh   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Molly

As I sit here praying and talking to God, in the lab next door my experiment is running. This last week I have got my PhD. I have got some beautiful data. Three and a half years of struggle and at last I can see the fruits of my labour. One of the reasons I am still sitting here and doing this experiment, is because you and smudgie gave me strenght and encouragement when I needed it.

I have played netball this morning (like basketball, but we don't run with the ball!). It was good fun, but cold. I have hockey this afternoon, but we play on grass not ice!

God Bless you.

--------------------
Just remember you are one of God's special people

Posts: 1371 | From: Slightly less north than before | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tudor Bonnet ON

About an hour ago some of you may have noticed I closed this thread. This was a bad decision.

I would like to apologise for my faff up, and for any confusion that may have ensued.

Nunc

Bonnet OFF

Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here in Oregon we have a great hotel/pub/movie/golf place called Edgefields (McMenamin's) If anyone is ever in Oregon, at least go by, well worth getting off the freeway to see, and if you stay it is right before the west end of the Columbia Gorge. It used to be the old poor farm, and in it's later years served as the old folks home. They say that if you stay there, you may be awakened by having your toes tweaked, even though no one is there - guests say it has happened! Their mascot is a bunny, the only resident of the acreage when McMenamin's took it over!

Went to Evening in December at my church last night. It is a musical outreach with great music and vignettes, all together with an underlying thread of the 'dead room' of UPS where so many packages end up as unwanted or undeliverable. Christ is our gift from God, and how do we treat this gift, excited that someone thought so much of us and eagerly accept and begin to unwrap, or refuse to accept the gift. The music was beautiful (though I especially liked the "Who's the fruitcake who gave me fruitcake"! piece), we have some beautiful singers. A bit of traditional, but mostly adaptations or new music. They even had a piece in there, started off with the beat done by broom pushes as he was sweeping. The car keys were brought in jingling, newspapers opened and closed, then, oh, the melody was sung by gargling!! It was hysterical! Counterpoint with whistling, someone had a stuffed dog and would make it squeak in time, and now of course, I have totally forgotten which Christmas song it was! Some happy, cute thing. We had a paper chain up with people's names on it that our church had been praying for (on Sunday's you would write the name of a person you were bringing to see and that the message would awaken in them a desire for Christ), draped all over the mounded pile of boxes all over the stage (it really did look more like a UPS station than a church! Almost up to our 2nd story ceiling!) and a team of people were downstairs praying during the first hour. It was wonderful. We cried at the old lady who was waiting for her daughter to call her on Christmas eve, laughed at the man trying to get his lights to work (he would look over, and they would all go on, and as soon as he turned back they would all go off!), a young pregnant girl thinking of Mary, an upwardly mobile couple and how they dealt with their own unplanned pregnancy and how their child falling ill changed their whole perspective, two men fighting over the scraggily Christmas tree on the lot (they even shredded branches, and broke off the top!). A beautiful time.
God bless us all, especially you and your amazing 'staff'!

Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nanny Ogg

Ship's cushion
# 1176

- Posted      Profile for Nanny Ogg   Email Nanny Ogg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello Molly,
I'm still resting up on doctor's orders with Joyful Noise and Tigglet on my case as well. They are good are nagging me not to do things although I must admit I'm not always obedient.

The weather has got decidedly colder in the last couple of days. They've even forecast snow in some regions. Mind you that isn't unusual for this time of year - and everyone gets excited and starts thinking that we may get a white Christmas which so rarely happens (it's usually cold, grey and drizzly).

The family have today decorated downstairs for Christmas. The kitchen/dining room has lots of fairy lights at the windows, tinsel and various dangly things. The plain paper lampshade for the light over the table has been replaced with a star. Roz has made an Advent decoration on a terracotta tray. Central is a dark red Christmas candle which is scented and smells of cloves and other spices. There are four small green candles with gold glitter. The base has been covred with dried orange slices and pine cones. It looks beautiful. She has also been busy making mince pies which are currently piled up on a cooling rack within temptation...

The main room has white fairy lights at the bay window interspersed with small baubles. I'm not sure whether they are totally out of reach of four pairs of tiny hands but we shall see. The Christmas tree has been dressed with yet more lights - even though it is an electric one with fibre optic "leaves" that change colour. It's mainly for the children who think it's wonderful.

I think I will have to root around for my decorations tonight. Mainly angels and stars which I hang from the ceiling. I do have a small nativity scene which is Guatamalan (from the Toybox charity which works with street children there). It serves to remind me that Christmas is worldwide and that we in the West do not have a monopoly on Christmas images.

I might even get round to making a few more Christmas cards - but I need to experiment with an idea first to see whether it works.

I haven't bought any presents yet - we have a family policy of not spending a lot of money on each other, especially as we're old enough to buy what we really want. Then Mum goes and does what what most Mums do - spend the most.

I've painted and decorated a few things which could serve as gifts but they didn't quite reach my high expectations. Still, the bowls filled with sweets may go down well and I'll hide some small gifts in the painted flowerpots.

Thinking of which - I'd better give them a second coat of paint now they are dry.

Take care Molly

--------------------
Buy me a beer and I'm you friend forever

Posts: 4137 | From: Away with the fairies | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey Molly, my friend.
Think of our little Tiddles this evening. I have just dropped him off at the theatre for a last minute rehearsal, and then in an hour's time will be there as a proud mum watching him sing with the Junior County Choir. Grandad and Smudgelet are going too. You know our Tiddles - he will warble away at the top of his voice, the epitome of enthusiasm....well, when he is remembering to pay attention, of course.

We're off to see Father Christmas next week at the church Christmas fair - well, actually it is one of the stand-in Father Christmases seeing as he can't be everywhere at once. The real treat comes just before Christmas when the man himself comes to the Steam Railway and we go and visit. Last year it was rather a trying time for the poor man, however, once Smudgelet got his hands on him. I stood there, one of those poor embarrassed mums, wishing I had a t-shirt which said "He's not with me", as Smudgelet leapt on his stomach and started tugging violently on his beard.

All is well at Smudgie Towers and we send you oodles of love as well as our prayers as always.

Smudgie

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Molly! I’d like to introduce my sweetie, Thumbprint to you. You don’t know her, but you can be sure that she knows all about you from long lurking. We are on our way out to pick this year’s Christmas tree. Our two little Fingerprints are so excited that they can hardly stand still. At their age (six and four), everything is so new and so shiny bright. Watching them always reminds me of what a magical time this is. Some years we have struggled to keep the focus of the season on the reality of Christ’s presence in this world. This year, thanks to you and your many friends, it has not been much of a struggle.

Well, the kids are ready and we all know that six year-old exuberance waits for no man, so off I go.

We wish you a peaceful evening, and a joyful Christmas where ever you may be.

scot

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
P.S. I'd like to offer our cat for entombment in place of St. Seb. I've often considered sending the beast to the Great Beyond, and I assume that St. Seb will not eat the pine needles from the tree and throw up on the floor. Everyone wins!

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scot:
...and I assume that St. Seb will not eat the pine needles from the tree and throw up on the floor. Everyone wins!

Pretty big assumption...

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Sebastian

Staggering ever onward
# 312

- Posted      Profile for St. Sebastian   Email St. Sebastian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Definately not. I learned that lesson a long time ago. [Razz]

--------------------
St. Seb

In Spite of Everything: Yes.

Posts: 962 | From: Burlington, North Carolina | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Sebastian

Staggering ever onward
# 312

- Posted      Profile for St. Sebastian   Email St. Sebastian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ignore this. It's just to remind me of the last post I printed for Molly.

--------------------
St. Seb

Posts: 962 | From: Burlington, North Carolina | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
zephirine of the roses

Soul of the rose
# 3323

- Posted      Profile for zephirine of the roses   Author's homepage   Email zephirine of the roses   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(we're nursing rowan through yet another sick lung session. i find this poem, introduced to me by elisabeth elliot, very heartening)

From an old English parsonage, down by the sea
There came in the twilight a message to me;
Its quaint Saxon legend, deeply engraven,
Hath, as it seems to me, teaching from Heaven.
And on through the hours the quiet words ring
Like a low inspiration--"DO THE NEXT THING."

Many a question, many of fear,
Many a doubt, hath its quieting here.
Moment by moment, let down from Heaven,
Time, opportunity, guidance, are given.
Fear not tomorrows, Child of the King,
Trust them with Jesus, "DO THE NEXT THING."

Do it immediately; do it with prayer;
Do it reliantly, casting all care;
Do it with reverence, tracing His Hand
Who placed it before thee with earnest command.
Stayed on Omnipotence, safe 'neath His wing,
Leave all resultings, "DO THE NEXT THING."

Looking to Jesus, ever serener,
(Working or suffering) be thy demeanor,
In His dear presence, the rest of His calm,
The light of His countenance be thy psalm,
Strong in His faithfulness, praise and sing,
Then, as He beckons thee, "DO THE NEXT THING."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

--------------------
We are, each of us, angels with only one wing. And we can only fly embracing each other."

*~ Luciano De Crescenzo

Posts: 1756 | From: middle of an apple orchard in ny | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Molly,

Wandering with Hope sends her love and prayers.

We are still slowly recovering the technical rudiments of modern living in North Carolina after the ice storm. She has no cable service, which seems of small concern, but she can't get online without it - and I assure you, she is devastated. I'm to call her and awaken her at the severe hour of 7am in the morning, so she can contact the cable guys. Nothing else would cause this dire need to arise with the chickens, trust me. [Razz]
Love from the Rosebride household - Fearless and Bessie. [Love] [Love]

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today dear Molly, I went to my church's Christmas Lady's Tea. It is a special event we do once a year to share the gospel to ladies. I dragged my brother's wife there for the 2nd time (she went last year).

I was supposed to be hostess at my table (set up dishes and such) but alas, I was late since my sister-in-law always has to deal with kidlets making her late.

The place is decorated all festive, with those red poisetta flowers in green and red foil everywhere. The Baptist church kitchen hall is pretty big. We sang Silent Night and Joy to the World...a lady got up and sang a song about Jesus, accompied by only the piano.

There were little tea treats, everything from a little part of a crossaint with ham and cheese, to curry chicken balls, to minemeat pies, to little cheese cakes and cookies. Raspberry tea there. Little angels on the table.

My friend Colleen was the speaker who spoke about the miracle of Christ's birth and history. Also she said what He means to us, how He is our mediator to the Father, how He takes away all our sins in the world. My brother's wife looked a little bored but oh well. It was great to see me friend give that lesson. Great speaking. I was proud of her. Colleen is getting her Masters in Language (or something evilaent to that) and then January she is off to Albania for 2 years to teach English as a missionary. If my feet get better enough, I intend to maybe visit her there. her love of the Albanian people makes it sound very interesting. She said the people there look like me [in coloring] so I will blend in better than her. (With her redhead and blue eyes, and being close to 6 feet tall, she really stands out).

My pastor's wife had to leave then...her name is the same as my brother's wife and she also has 4 kids...I was glad that got a chance to chat. Then of course my sister in law started freaking out over the dishes since I as hostess am supposed to do dishes. She would not sit down, she followed me. I got told by a lady there that "she will pack up the dishes". I was very relieved since sister in law was getting stressed.

I took some goodies for the men who were behind the scenes setting up the sound but the one left was on a cell phone told me no and that the other one who really loves sweets and stuff left, so I packed up leftovers for him to bring to him tomorrow after church.

We came back here and I read more than one story to the kidlets, including "Auntie Claus" and "the Nutcracker". (Santa Claus may be satanic but Auntie Claus is ok with me...joke).

Anyway, hope you enjoyed my day I shared with you. Kids are cleaning up, mom is barking orders at them...littlest nephew is talking to me non stop all this time while I write this.

God bless you Molly.

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Thumbprint
Shipmate
# 3056

- Posted      Profile for Thumbprint   Email Thumbprint   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Scot:
Hi Molly! I’d like to introduce my sweetie, Thumbprint to you.

Dear Miss Molly:

Because my husband was so kind as to formally introduce us, I thought that I would let you know that this evening's excursion was a success! After much fussing, and the rejection of almost an entire lot of trees [Disappointed] we arrived home with just the perfect one. Our family odyssey was indeed exhausting, and so the tree will remain unadorned for awhile. No matter, the wonderful smell of Christmas should inspire me to pull down more boxes soon.

Bobby, our cat is probably already drinking the water under the tree that has the chemical preservatives. [Projectile] I am thrilled to trade him for St. Sebastian, who I'm aware can also clean houses!

Rest Well Tonight!

Tammy

Posts: 172 | From: In the Pool | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
busyknitter
Shipmate
# 2501

- Posted      Profile for busyknitter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Molly

I'm one of those who has never posted on this thread before (though we did chat in the past a few times). I'd thought about posting many times, but never actually done anything about it. When Nunc closed the Board temprorarily yesterday, I could have kicked myself for procrastinating so long that I'd left it too late to spend some time with you (the vigil thread is a bit different).

So well done for closing the Board Nunc and prodding me into action. And well done for opening it again.

Anyhow Molly, I'm snatching a few moments in the early morning in the blessed quiet half hour when my mother minds Baby 2-ply (11 months now and bouncing) and the rest of the household is asleep. The rest of the day just won't be my own.

December is a funny time of year in England. Not too cold (what bad weather we get never comes till after Christmas) but dark and soggy. And everthing has a tinsel veneer in the run up to Christmas. My older son is building up to a peak of excitement with his school play next week. He gets to be one of Herod's henchmen, whatever that means.

I have to go now, but now I've broken the ice, I hope to be in touch more often. I have been praying for you the whole while.

Busyknitter

(ps have you heard any more about the O'Brian movie?)

Posts: 903 | From: The Wool Basket | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
When Nunc closed the Board temprorarily yesterday, I could have kicked myself for procrastinating so long that I'd left it too late to spend some time with you (the vigil thread is a bit different).

So well done for closing the Board Nunc and prodding me into action. And well done for opening it again.

I am now Admin? Heavens I sincerely hope I do NOT have the power to close the boards... [Big Grin] I've stuffed up enough opening and closing threads. [Roll Eyes]

And there really was nothing well done about it. [Frown]

Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by busyknitter:

December is a funny time of year in England. Not too cold (

Not too cold? Good God, woman, you must have ice in your veins. It's perishing! [Eek!]
Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
busyknitter
Shipmate
# 2501

- Posted      Profile for busyknitter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I am now Admin? Heavens I sincerely hope I do NOT have the power to close the boards... I've stuffed up enough opening and closing threads.

Sorry, typo. I meant to say thread (it was before breakfast)

quote:
Not too cold? Good God, woman, you must have ice in your veins. It's perishing!
Again, I hadn't been outside when I posted this morning and our house is very well insulated. It is a bit nippy, isn't it.

Anyhow, Molly. The babe is having his afternoon nap, so that gives me a chance to tell you about the cats that share living space with us. They aren't ours, but semi-wild farm cats. We live on farmland, next to a small wood that is never entered by anyone except occassionally the children. So a family of cats have taken up residence, a black Tom and a ginger Queen. We don't see them very often, except when they streak by while out hunting. They have been known to bring the kittens to come and play on the lawn, when they think no-one is around. But by and large they are independent and shy.

We haven't decorated for Christmas yet. In fact I think we are going to leave it till the last minute, as 2-ply is at the "into everything" stage. But my older son is getting very excited in general. He was worrying this morning about how he was going to afford presents for everyone. I told him that he shouldn't worry about the grown ups as we can buy things for ourselves if we want, but if he liked. then he could buy one nice thing for his baby brother.

I'll sign off now.
God Bless

BK

Posts: 903 | From: The Wool Basket | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Talking of cold, I went up Glastonbury Tor yesterday... Miss Molly, I don't know if you know of Glastonbury. It's a market town in Somerset, in the west of England, and because of its connections with the legend of King Arthur and various other mildly improbable things it's become a New Age centre. It's also a solid English country town with the remains of the abbey which was closed at the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the 1530s.

I went there with a group of religious studies students to have a look at New Age and Christian Glastonbury on Friday, and came back, exhausted, yesterday. We made them climb the Tor, which is a strange conical hill visible for miles around - most of the surrounding land is flat, but the Tor is an outcrop of harder rock that rises up on the edge of the town. On the very top is a tower, all that remains of a mediaeval church, and up there the last abbot of Glastonbury Abbey, who unlike most other abbots refused to go quietly when his monastery was dissolved, was hanged.

Down at the bottom is the Chalice Well, where according to legend Joseph of Arimathea hid the Holy Grail. The water of the spring which rises there is stained red with iron, which has made people connect it with the blood of Jesus. About ten minutes' walk away, in the centre of the town, are the ruins of the abbey, which was one of the richest monateries in England before the Reformation - you can see from what's left of the abbey church just how huge it was. Almost all the Lady Chapel is stil standing, miraculously, though its roof and floor have gone, and there's a crypt underneath, now open to the sky, where a modern altar has been built. The abbey's still used for worship - there are annual pilgrimages there by local Anglicans and Catholics in the summer, and services are still held in the crypt and in St Patrick's Chapel next to the main complex.

It's said that Joseph of Arimathea and a group of followers arrived at Glastonbury in 62 and built a wattle-and-daub church, the first church in England, on the site. I don't know about that, but archaeological evidence for a church there goes back to 600, so people have been praying there for a very long time. I sent up a prayer for you from the crypt when I managed to escape from the group for a few minutes, and had the nice feeling that my prayer was wafted up by a whole lot of unseen fellow-prayers.

Dear Miss Molly, much love to you, and your mother, and Marian, and St Sebastian, and all who are with you and are thinking about you.

Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

- Posted      Profile for Willyburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Molly,

I never finished telling you about my wife's first delivery. I had told you that Mrs. Burger's labor went so fast that that there was no time for an epidural -- which was the reason she was doing her best to strangle my thumb right off of my hand. Shortly after Midnight we had our first child, a healthy boy, all red, wrinkled and cone-headed, covered in grease and yelling his head off. [Smile]

Now, my wife and I also worked at this hospital but, being Unit Rats, neither of us had ever floated to the L&D floor, so the nurses there really didn't know us. What I didn't know then was that L&D nurses derive no end of entertainment watching terrified first-time fathers handle their newly-issued children like the finest china. [Devil]

So when the nurse asked me if I wanted to help bathe the Little Burger, imagine her shock and surprise when I said "Sure!" and took him away, walked over to the sink with the soap and comb, turned on and adjusted the water, using my elbow to test the temp, of course, and not needing to be told how to use the foot pedals. I scrubbed him thoroughly, combed all the gunk out of his hair, did his cord care, put on all the various powders and potions, added the diaper, swaddled him up and handed him to Mama. Meanwhile Miss L&D was so bemused that she just stood there and watched. I think she was feeling a little like a third wheel. When she said, "I thought this was your first baby," and I said "He is," she looked totally confused and walked out of the room. [Snigger]

I thoroughly enjoyed turning the tables on her. She came back in laughing and accused me of pulling a fast one on her. She had just found out from the charge nurse where I worked. We all had a good laugh but she ended up having the last laugh as I ended up doing most of the work while we were there. I was starting to worry that they were going to give me a patient assignment. [Eek!]

Take care, Molly. May the Lord be with you and comfort you.
[Love]

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--
Why is it that every time I go out to buy bookshelves, I come home with more books?

Posts: 835 | From: Arizona, US | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy*

Jedi defender of ship's cats
# 1059

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy*   Email jedijudy*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi sister Molly! I can't believe it's already the second Sunday of Advent. Everything in both worship centers is decorated in purple and gold (and white on the Chrismon tree). Very elegant and beautiful.

We had prayer for you again today, and I want you to know that your status as an organist is unchanged! The pastor, after I asked for prayers for you, gave an explanation of who you are so the folks that haven't heard would have a reference for you. You are my "organist friend"!!! [Killing me] Poor you! What a profession to have foisted upon you at this point!!! Well, now I take that back. You are an organ expert. It just so happens that the organ you have so perfected is your heart! I pray that we can all practice what you preach (now you're a preacher, what have we done to you??? [Eek!] ) and become as expert as you in such matters.

Love to you, as always dear heart!

Judy, Daughter-Unit, furred and scaly creatures from the Jedi Temple

--------------------
ENFP...do you see a "T" anywhere??? I don't think so.

Posts: 3248 | From: Soon to be inhabiting identity # 333!!! | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss Molly,
Margaret didn't say that the summit of Glastonbury Tor is the windiest and chilliest place in all England. You just have to lean into the wind and it props you upright.

Did the Advent 2 service at church tonight.

We set out a row of about 20 candles, down the centre of the church, on CDs so they reflected rainbows. (We had every candle in the place lit too - maybe about 150) The Advent wreath looked very pretty with four purple candles.

A little boy used the row to practise dribbling in between them with his mini-football - luckily before we lit them.

It was wonderful to see people sitting with candles lit, holding them and reflecting the light into their faces.

We were reflecting on going forward into the Light of Christ.

May you enjoy that Light tonight, today and always.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim*   Email Duo Seraphim*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Margaret:
Talking of cold, I went up Glastonbury Tor yesterday... Miss Molly, I don't know if you know of Glastonbury...

Down at the bottom is the Chalice Well, where according to legend Joseph of Arimathea hid the Holy Grail. The water of the spring which rises there is stained red with iron, which has made people connect it with the blood of Jesus...

The water of Chalice Well is cool and sweet, but it does taste ever so slightly of iron filings. Harrogate has a number of mineral springs - the most repellent one tastes of rotten eggs. Apparently people used to drink it by the pint in the pursuit of inner cleanliness. I could only manage a mouthful in the pursuit of curiosity. Mind you, maybe I should be seeking it out.

It's been a weekend of wretched excess for me, I'm afraid. I'm feeling a little liverish, as my grandmother would say. I went out to dinner on Saturday night, braised warm veal skanks done as a vitello tonnato i.e with a creamy tuna and anchovy sauce and served with cold oven roasted plum tomatoes. On Sunday,I went to yum cha with multipara and two other choristers of the Paddington Cacophonic Society, Ben and Rosa. We would have got there sooner, but multipara had been down to St Mary's Cathedral to listen to Dr Pell go through his paces on Advent 2. There was some confused story about buying haberdashery and notions, by way of explanation. "Ah, popped your buttons at the sight of George?" I said to multipara, when she finally hoved into view. She has vowed her revenge...

Yum cha (meaning "drink tea" in Cantonese) is a rather nice way to spend Sunday lunch. It is lots of little dishes in bamboo steamer baskets. Har gau or shrimp dumplings, pork buns, flower rolls, spare ribs and all sorts of other bits and pieces, including half a roast duck. We washed it down with Kuan Yin blend Chinese tea, which is the basis of Lapsang Souchong tea, before it gets smoked. Ben, who is Chinese from Kuala Lumpur, speaks Cantonese, which always helps with getting the good bits in Chinese restuarants in Sydney. We placed our taste buds and stomachs in his hands. It was all delicious.

After that, we repaired to multipara's back garden where we drank coffee and ate cherries (not at the same time). The it was on to the house of another member of the PCS, Brent, who was entertaining a former chorister of the PCS,Martina, who was visiting from Germany with her boyfriend Johannes. More food - lovely chicken and mushrooms in a cream sauce with noodles, cooked by Johannes. "Faaabulous food, fabulous people" chortled the fearless leader of the PCS, Bernard, as he rolled towards the Toadmobile. He had previously done the full Liberace playing Grieg on Brent's piano.

I feel like a python - glutted on good company and good food.

--------------------

multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

- Posted      Profile for multipara   Author's homepage   Email multipara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
G'day Molly and St Seb,

After all that I have to add a PS to Duo Seraphim's bulletin. My God, what a gadabout-one would have thought yum cha was plenty. I don't know how many Cantonese eyebrows were raised at the sight of our Ben (a sweet young Malysian) out to lunch with 3 middle aged ladies ( well, sort of-ladies, that is)in various shades of purple.

And no, I didn't pop any buttons at ++George's homily-though there was a great moment of Schadenfreude when he lumbered up into the massive sandstone pulpit at the Basilica of Sancta Maria non Immaculata (St Mary's Cathedral)to sermonise us and then found that the sound system was on the blink-oh joy!!!!! -and he had to go back to the sanctuary to address the faithful.

The Paddington Cacophonics had a morning off (2nd Sunday of the month)which is why we weren't warbling away at 9-30 am Mass-a Sunday morning jaunt to the Cathedral is by way of an occasional diversion.

You may have wondered about DS's mention of the Toadmobile-this is the slightly battered but jaunty little car driven by our ever-loving Madame la Directrice-so called because he takes his corners in 4th gear( I can attest to this , having had a burn around the block in same). He is one hell of an organist (and pianist) and has been described in some circles as the poor man's Liberace , and better yet as Tasmania's answer to Winifred Atwell. My own late car was known as the Dogmobile-because for many months after I acquired it from my Mum it continued to stink abominably of her black Labrador who went everywhere (and I mean everywhere) with her.

And so back to work.....

--------------------
quod scripsi, scripsi

Posts: 4985 | From: new south wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Miss_Molly

Toujours gai
Beloved
# 2339

- Posted      Profile for Miss_Molly   Email Miss_Molly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My dear ones, I love you all. Sorry for short message--my eyes cross.

--------------------
"I come from a state that raises corn, and cockleburrs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me"

Congressman Willard Duncan Vandiver at a naval banquet in Philadelphia, 1899

Posts: 1242 | From: home | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello Miss Molly! I'm reading this thread from both ends, since I discovered it long after it started.

I just found the very early post where you mention a geneology which would have you a descendent of Thor.

Well, my husband's last name is Thorkildsen, which would be "Son of Thor Child" or something like that in Norwegian. Perhaps we are related? Granted it would be about 200 times removed and only by marriage, but hey, those are just details, right? [Big Grin]

You're an amazing lady.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lovely to see you again Molly! I had a vision of you in church yesterday!

Let me explain:

During the last hymn I thought, I don't like this hymn, I'm going to pray for Molly. So I did. I closed my eyes, and suddenly I could feel the worship of the people floating up heavenwards, like incense. It was so beautiful.

My eyes followed the incense rising to heaven. I saw the Church Trumphant sitting around the enthroned King. There was Molly sitting right beside our Lord. Somehow she must have felt my eyes upon her, cos she turned and looked down. When she saw me looking up she started waving frantically at me, and 'mugging' and point about who she was sitting next to!

The beauty of the moment was shattered, and I had to work really hard not to burst out laughing. I was trying so hard that my sholders were shaking, and my eyes were leaking. A friend sitting next to me was very concerned that I was so upset! On the way home I told my friends, and my husband about this vision, and we laughed all the way home.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back from holidays today, Molly, and the first thing I did was read this thread. Sophs and I raised a cup of tea and a glass of Coke to you when we met last week.

I'll be praying on the vigil thread for you, and you are always in my thoughts. I know that the tall gentleman in black who SPEAKS IN CAPITALS will do his duty well for a fellow cat-lover when the lifetimer runs out of sand.

God bless

Gill H

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Dear Molly,
i love you and am praying for you, thankyou for all the help you have given to me, it means a lot.
Much much much much love, hugs and prayers
sophs [Tear] [Love] [Tear]

Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My dearest Molly,

So, it's back to work after a lovely weekend of family-ness *sigh*. At long last I've started my Christmas shopping [Big Grin] - I got half my mum's present yesterday! I know some bits of the rest will be easy - a certain online bookseller will be getting a fair bit of custom, I think! [Wink] So much better than doing as I did yesterday morning and trekking round every bookshop in Oxford trying to find one particular thing, only to find that the place most likely to have it wasn't open...

In the afternoon we decided to do what we continue to think of as an inexpensive way of passing the afternoon, and went to our local garden centre. For some reason, the fact that it ends up costing us to get out, rather than in means that we think of it as free even though it never is! [Disappointed] B had a great time - she loves walking, holding on to people or things, and their whole Christmas section is her favourite place in the world at the moment, I think - so much to look at, to grab (if we're not quick enough!), sparkly things, shiny things, people, tinsel, mirrors, dancing snowmen... She of course had the vital task of selecting which ornaments we got for the tree this year - this string of bells, or that string of stars, this twizzy thing, or that. Great fun!

And after the Christmas section, we get to the Children's Books - another favourite. Managed to pick up a couple more presents there, one for her, and a couple for friends. She, of course, was busy trying to pull all the books off the shelf when she thought we weren't looking, or was trying to sneak off to the final area - the pets!

Here, they have bunnies, guinea pigs, parrots and all sorts of birds, and fish. Such heaven for a curious little girl. Inquisitive baby bunnies coming to sniff at her through the wire of their enclosures, and running away when she wiggles her fingers at them. Birds squawking at her, and squawking right back at them. Brightly coloured fish darting here and there in their tanks, then stopping still, hanging motionless in the water for a few moments before dashing off again. (Hmmm - just like all those Christmas shoppers!)

Next weekend we'll get the Christmas Tree. It's fun establishing our own traditions together. When I was growing up, our tree never went up before Christmas Eve, but in Mr B's house it went up in early December. Our compromise is for the weekend of Advent 3, and we seem to be developing a tradition of having guests down that weekend, so we choose the tree then decorate it all together. We haven't invited anyone down for next weekend yet, but were talking about it last night, so will probably ask my parents if they'd like to come down. We've managed to work out where we'll put the tree, but haven't yet figured out how on earth we're going to keep B away from it! Maybe the playpen will have to be put up and left up for the duration instead of being tidied away!

B's not walking much further on her own yet - still only a few steps at a time, before sitting down, although she set a new record of 7 steps on Saturday! We'll get her a pair of shoes for Christmas so that she can try walking outside - she does get a bit frustrated at the moment that she can go for miles indoors, holding our hands, but the moment we get outside she has to be carried as her little feet will get wet! That could be fun, going for welly walks together. I'm already looking forward to teaching her to jump in puddles! [Yipee]

Still not had the letter from the incumbent-to-be - but I'll let you know as soon as it's all confirmed!

The cats have been very friendly and purry recently - I believe they're now brave enough to send their fussing directly to you rather than through me, too! Such a wonderful feeling, to be curled up on the settee with a cat purring away gently. After the discussions earlier of how the tabby got the 'M' marking, I looked at George. He has a half 'M' - just the left-hand half of it. Personally I suspect that in his family's case, Mary was pleased and was trying to mark the original one, but he got a bit too playful and tried to chew her hand before she'd finished! [Disappointed] [Roll Eyes]

lots of love to you and yours, Miss Molly, from me & mine! Whiffles from the bunnies.

Beets [Love]

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi

It has been a cosy sort of weekend. I spent much of Saturday chatting to my best friend from college who has sort of been away for a bit. We went to a lovely old pub just outside Oxford, where I took Rowen when she came over. There is a stream outside, more like a river at the moment what with all the rain, and there are peacocks.
(The peacocks did not seem so unusual to Rowen so much, as she is so used to exotic flora and fauna in Australia, which is a rather nice state of mind to have now I come to think about it, to have your world peopled with fabulous beasties and fowl, but they are quite decadent by English standards.)
The pub is called the Trout, probably because of the stream/river/torrent and had a rather nice sign depicting said fish. It is in a place called Godstow, which as you probably surmise, being a linguist, means God's place. There was a convent on the site going back to medieval times (1133) and the pub was probably a hostelry for pilgrims.
It is linked in legend with fair Rosamund, the mistress of Henry II, who was also supposed to have hung out in what is now the grounds of Blenheim Palace nearby. That does conjure up an existence a bit like that of a heroine in a Victorian painting doesn't it, mooching about in picturesque settings in silks and satins looking pensive.
Anyhow the pub had a fabulous roaring log fire and we sat by it and talked and ate and talked and drank mulled wine and talked. Which was lovely. I told my friend about the Fields of Gold thread and everything and tears came into her eyes. She was a mature student who was looking after people who came for interview when we met - I was a very scared interviewee. She studied a combination of medieval Latin, Fench and Arabic and she is very fond of Terry Pratchett and singing and has a great sense of humour. I was thinking how sure I was that you would have got on...

I rather like the idea you know of heaven as a dinner party where you get to meet all the fascinating people that you never got around to knowing when you were alive. Oscar Wilde, imagine spending eternity with Oscar Wilde...and I am sure you and my best friend would have an awful lot to say to each other...

I have to go now as I appear to have an Unexpected Patient...

Be good [Wink]

lots and lots of love

WD xxx

Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fudge

Pictish free citizen
# 425

- Posted      Profile for Fudge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BB - how bizarre - our sermon Sunday AM was about the prayers of the saints in Revelation and the Angel with the golden censer. (Ch 8) It is so amazing, because as you envisioned the passage we were reading, I was also thinking - hey prayer WORKS!!

Molly - you will be with the 24 elders, the four beasts, the myriad of ransomed souls, and you will get a grandstand view of how God works. You lucky jam!!

I couldn't sleep last night after performing in my end-of-term concert for Scottish Culture & Traditions (who i teach Gaelic for - the Language of the Redeemed [Big Grin] ) and i got my Mission praise book and sang through the hymns to myself. I got to "Guide me o thou Great Jehovah" and the verse that begins "When I tread the verge of Jordan/ Bid my anxious fears subside..." [Tear] I thought about you Moll, and all the other hymns after and choruses, you were in my mind. I knew you were still around, so I am very glad to see you managed a post!! I hope St Seb was able to read out my email to you.

All the best in the coming days - but of course, "Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof."

Loved the stable cat story

luv
FJ aka Fudge (the chocolate fairy! [Big Grin] )

--------------------
Stay me flagons ... or maybe tappit hens.

Posts: 347 | From: Aberdeen | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Miss_Molly:
My dear ones, I love you all. Sorry for short message--my eyes cross.

XXX OOO [Love] [Love] [Love]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Mid

Officer and a gentleman
# 1559

- Posted      Profile for The Mid   Email The Mid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Molly,
I don't think I've posted here yet, not sure why, but I am here now. Better late than never I guess.
I miss the chats we had on ICQ. It was always good to see you online, even if we didn't speak, knowing you were there if I needed you was a comfort.
I have almost finished for the year now, we graduate on Thursday, a big parade in the morning and then a ball in the evening. It should be a lot of fun. I have ten weeks of leave starting this weekend, but I will not get bored, I will be working for quite a lot of it to help pay some of the car off.
Karaoke has been going well, I won one comp last week, and am hoping to win another one this week. I also have my first two gigs next week, on Tuesday and Friday nights. I'm a bit nervous, but also excited - it should be lots of fun.
After this weekend I do not know how often I will have internet access, so will not be around as frequently. But thankyou for the pleasure of knowing you, thankyou for gracing us with your presence on the ship, it has become a far richer place with you onboard. Whenever I am on the ship I will think of you and the way you kept my cabin immaculate, and how much you meant to me and everyone else onboard.
I will continue to pray for you, and whilst this time can be sad, it can also be a time of great joy, as you arrive home. Don't forget me when you get there, and look after me, don't let me get into too much trouble [Big Grin]
We have drill practice early tomorrow, so I'd better end this now. Thankyou for everything Molly, know that you mean a great deal to a lot of people, through you God has truly made Himself known.
This is not goodbye, but see you soon, I'll leave it in your hands to make sure my cabin is clean for when I arrive home with you one day.

The Mid

--------------------
For God so loved the world She got involved

Posts: 3022 | From: The Wardroom | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Molly, I'm so happy I just have to share my joy with you - Mr B has been formally offered the job! [Big Grin] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Big Grin]

--------------------

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

The station is nearly empty. The train waits at the platform, but there has been no word of when it will be leaving. Over near the chandelier a cluster of people (and some cats) have gathered. They are huddled around a lady with bright eyes and a warm smile. Her dress and hat suit her perfectly and look as if they were chosen for a special journey. The lady laughs and launches into another of her thousand-and-one stories.

The group around her started out small, but has been steadily growing. They are a cheerful, boisterous bunch, but if you watch carefully, you see tears in some eyes. Periodically, someone steps outside of the circle and cries, just a little. The guest of honor, the intrepid lady traveler, never fails to notice. She is quick with a hug and a happy tale of times past or stories of the beautiful land where she is going to journey. Soon, the tears are dry and the laughter begins anew.

But it is late and the woman in the hat is growing tired. She doesn’t talk so much anymore, but her friends take up the banter. They also take turns supporting the weary traveler. One by one, as the hours tick by, the people hold the lady up in their arms. Everyone takes a turn – young women, older men, people from around the world.

The clock slowly turns. Outside, the snow falls gently under the moonlight.

--------------------

Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

One happy figure leaps out from the group for a momentary celebration, crying out 'look, look, I made it to 500 posts at last! With a little help from my friends - well, Dolphy and a few dead horses, anyway [Wink] '

Yaaaaaaaay! [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] (and lots of [Not worthy!] to all those for whom 500 was a mere nothing, a few thousand posts ago!)

--------------------

toujours gai!

dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My dearest Molly,
I have to say that poor sweet Beets got so carried away that she totally missed post 500. Ah well, it must be the after effects of her Christmas Shopping spree that has gone to her head! [Wink] I have now warned the Cheltenham police that she will be moving here and I promise to keep an eye on her!!! [Snigger]
With much love from us all here in the very cold maision du Dolphy.
xxx

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

[Paranoid] and [Waterworks] and [Ultra confused] and [Eek!]

[Big Grin]

--------------------

toujours gai!

dolphy

# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Its ok Molly... Beets is just overexcited about moving to a new place, a place where the police don't know her.... yet!!! [Snigger]
My happiness at the move is that I will be able to spend nights at the pub with Mr B while Beets stays home with Baby B [Wink] [Two face] (where did I put that mistletoe? [Snigger] )

--------------------

Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

[Waterworks] [Waterworks] [Waterworks]

ooh, hang on - this means I get a nice relaxing evening all to myself, and Dolphy gets lectures (sorry, conversations) about the importance of this, that, or the other in the early church [Yipee] [Wink]

--------------------

toujours gai!

dolphy

# 862

Actually Molly, Mr B and I will not be talking [Wink] , now that we have spoken to each other on the phone, it will be more like kissing!! [Snigger] After all, it was you Molly who told me that there are too many lesliebeans in Chelters and not enough men to go round! and now there is a new man moving to Chelters... well show me the way!!!!!!! [Two face]

--------------------

Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

[Waterworks] [Waterworks] [Waterworks] [Help]

OK, so who wants to point out to Dolphy how shrivelled up and horrible her mistletoe's going to be by the time we actually move?!?

(Oh, bet you miss those early morning chats on MSN don't you, Molly! [Wink] )

--------------------

toujours gai!

St. Sebastian

Staggering ever onward
# 312

Molly's had a bit of a rough weekend. As you see, she tried to get on and post, but her eyesight is suffering and she couldn't read the screen. Her Mama is going to get a pair of magnifying glasses for her for when she's up to it again. I just spoke to Mrs. Dillon. She said Molly was hallucinating a lot last night, and while the hallucinations weren't at all frigtening, they were full of questions and, of course, Molly couldn't rest until she answered them all, so she was tossing and talking all night and is pretty exhausted today. Be that as it may, she's insisting I come over for supper after work. I'm in the process of printing her emails and deleting them, so you should be able to email her now if you like and I'll check that every day or two. They made it through the first round of posts from this thread, which Mrs. Dillon said really raised Molly's spirits.

Oh, one other thing: Mrs. Dillon said if any of you call, identify yourself as from the Ship and she won't put you through 20 questions before deciding if she should hand you off to Molly. Shipmates get priority if Molly's up to a call. Mrs. D feels bad because she said she's held up some of you on international calls trying to figure out who you were!

I think that's it for now.

--------------------
St. Seb

Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

Dear Molly,

I was so pleased to see your post yesterday (and also to read Scot's beautiful description of your journey).

Visions are amazing things and can bring great clarity. As someone who has spent more than a few midnight hours working through the events of the day and the great questions that God puts to us, I understand your need to question these visions, to interpret them and to understand what they mean. But get some rest too, please do.

There is a lot of love and support on this thread offered freely and unreservedly. It comes from you (crossed eyes and all) as much as from us.

Today it is raining in Sydney - really raining good and hard, God be praised! The air is clear and moist. Rain is a blessing to thirsty plants and tired firefighters. The bushfires are out and the smoke has dispersed. We are all so grateful for it - now for the breaking of the drought elsewhere in the state.

My builders, like the poor, remain with me. But the membrane holds, the place is dry.

We all love you - but you don't need me to tell you that.

Blessings and prayers

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016