homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Glory   » Fields of Gold (Page 18)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fields of Gold
Hils
Shipmate
# 2251

- Posted      Profile for Hils     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dearest Molly,

I have just got back from seeing Joe in is nativity. He did so well. His teacher said to me afterwards that she couldn't believe someone so little could project there voice so well! Must get it from his big mouthed mum. I was playing my flute to add to the copious recorder players that have appeared this year. The whole thing itself centered around Christmas in different parts of the world and sadly had very little to do with the actual meaning of Christmas but the kids enjoy it.
Poor Sophie dog has been on her own all day so Joe & I took her for a run over the park to say sorry.
You are always in my heart and prayers and it is lovely to see all these messages of support for you on here and great to have little updates on how you are.
I pray God's blessing and peace to you, your family, TimL, Marion and St Seb.
Loads of love and huge hugs
Hilary, John, Joe and Sophie

Posts: 470 | From: Surrey | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello Molly,

Am anticipating work Christmas Party with mixture of pleasure and dread. Am going to get hair blow dried straight at hairdresser this evening (they open late on a Thursday).

I always used to wish when I was a little child that one day I would wake up with dead straight blonde hair and blue eyes. It never actually worked out like that, would you believe, although - thank you for all the compliments about my coloring - I grew to be happy being a brunette. But it is quite fun changing how you look, though I don't get my hair blowdried all that often...

And so I will be vigilling tonight, as twere, from under a hair dryer. (I thought that the idea would possibly make you smile which is partly why I'm doing it [Smile] ). I wonder if this might prove to be a useful time for contemplation... [Wink]

Hope you are comfortable and able to eat and peaceful in mind back in Utah. And that your mum and St. Seb and Marion are all in good form too.

God Bless and keep you all

WDxxx

Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Deah Bolly:

Ah hab a code. It iss mah fust code ob de 'code an' flu season' (*sniffle*). Ah fink Ah got it frumb mah hussbad. Goo'ness, fangk you Mike [Disappointed] ...

Ahrin't you habby daht Ah cannod spread by gerbs to you owvah de Iddernet? (*snort*)

Ah fink Melaleuca (Tea Tree) Oil is wuddervul foah blocked sinusses, a'd it kills gerbs on contagt: bagteria, fungusses an' vahrusses, too.(*gag*)(*snuffle*)You wud put it id da vaporidzer owah rub it ond yoah chess (*choo!*)

(*cough*)It promodes deep breeving a'd iss bery pedetra-(*wheeze*)... penedrat-(*groan*)...

(*gasp*)(*hack*) It penetrates mucous a'd into dah skin, dagnabbit! (*choke*)

Ah fink Ah'll go to bed.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
PaulC

Ship's Lego nut
# 2256

- Posted      Profile for PaulC   Author's homepage   Email PaulC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dearest Molly,

I must admit that I have been very lax in posting my thoughts upon this thread, but until recently our regular conversations on MSN have been sufficient. It seems now that your poor eyes cross whenever they are confronted with a screen I must to prevail upon the kindness of your dear family and Saint Sebastian to read my messages to you.

Christmas approaches at an ever-quickening pace. My church cell group got together for our Christmas meal yesterday evening, hosted and catered for as usual by Jo & Mark. I have to admit I have been eating like a sparrow recently. As you have seen my photograph and know how tall and thin I am, this may give you cause for concern. Worry ye not however, since I feel that my recent lack of appetite has merely been a hangover from my visit to the Caribbean two weeks ago, where I needed to consume less calories because of the tropical heat.

Back home once again it seems to have taken a while for the freezing temperatures here to kick-start my usual blast-furnace metabolism. However, last night my appetite returned with a veangeance. I cannot begin to describe to you how hungry I was when I arrived at the meal. I piled my plate high with all the good things the table was laden with; turkey, stuffing, roast potatoes, parsnips, carrots, peas, sprouts, brocolli, little sausages wrapped in bacon, individual Yorkshire puddings and lashings of gravy and cranberry sauce. And then Molly, I am ashamed to admit that while the others helped themselves to a little seconds, I managed to pile my plate as high as I had the first time and polish that off too. And I had Christmas pudding and custard for afters!

"Where does he put it all?" I hear you cry, to which I answer of course: "I'm a growing lad!" Hope you are good spirits dear Molly, and I will write more soon.

Posts: 511 | From: deepest darkest Essex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy*

Jedi defender of ship's cats
# 1059

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy*   Email jedijudy*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Molly, I don't think it's at all fair that PaulC needed to consume less calories when he was in a warm and humid climate. Why doesn't that work for me? I live in it, for pity's sake!

We had our church children's Christmas Pageant last night! (This was one with real children, not a lot of us adult-types acting like children in the Ship Nativity Play!!! [Big Grin] ) It was beautiful! My boss's wife wrote the play, which is based on a true incident with her older son (one of my Padawans in the picture I sent to you) when he was asked in school to share what Easter meant to him. He actually shared about Jesus and not the Easter bunny and colored eggs like all the other children did. He was made fun of, and some children actually stated that the story of Jesus was only a tale. But his parents reasured him that he was right, and that he did a good thing in presenting the true story to his classmates. Boss's Wife adapted it to be a Christmas play, and it was Very Well Recieved! Of course the children were adorable!!!

Love to you, your family, Marian, St. Sebastian, and TimothyL. And tenderest hugs!

Judy

--------------------
ENFP...do you see a "T" anywhere??? I don't think so.

Posts: 3248 | From: Soon to be inhabiting identity # 333!!! | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Brent
Shipmate
# 3498

- Posted      Profile for Brent   Email Brent   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello again Dear Molly,

I hope all is comfortable with you and that your angels here with you are keeping you in good cheer.

Today marks the day that my return home was for as I meet with the family that owns the golf course for which I am hoping to run. I shall be posting in "December Prayers" for support in this interview. All of my training for the past year was centered towards the goal of managing a country club and the opportunity that exists with this club, so close to our home, shows the power of God. If it is meant to be, then I praise God for opening this door.
I know that Lady A has felt some disappointment in the job opportunity that slipped her by, but we are strengthened by the fact that it is apparent God doesn't see her in that job for long.
We have had a difficult year financially due to the schooling and limited funds and I pray that this opportunity will allow us to find ourselves securly on our feet again and allow Lady A to concentrate on her writing.
As soon as the weather breaks I can continue my practice in the game I so dearly love and concentrate on moving toward the sectional qualifying tournaments for the Senior Tour of the PGA. If it is where God would like to see me, then I am not going to argue.....at all [Wink]
With his [Help] of course!

God Bless Dear one,
Your friend,
Brent

--------------------
In His Grip...

Posts: 127 | From: On the links | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
St. Sebastian

Staggering ever onward
# 312

- Posted      Profile for St. Sebastian   Email St. Sebastian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a little update. Not much change, but Herself is feeling better today, her mom said. Hallucinations are still giving her a time, but they got some new med to control them, hopefully. This morning there was a tailor who was sewing poison into wedding gowns and Miss Molly was very concerned that someone do something so the brides wouldn't die. Her sister, Donna, picked up the phone and "called the sheriff" and Miss Molly was much relieved. Even more relieved when she found out they weren't going to kill her for knowing about the homicidal tailor. She still can't see well enough to read, but I see she's on board, so I imagine Donna is reading posts to her. They do buoy her up. She sends her love and gratitude to each and every one of you. I'm hoping for an actual visit tomorrow afternoon, and if she's up to it, perhaps I can post for her. Her priest came over last night and gave her Communion, which Donna says was a great comfort to her. That's all I know, 'cause I haven't had a chance to do more than drop things off the last couple of days, and her parents and sister are here and I think they need their private family time. I'll carry your hugs and love with me tomorrow, though.

--------------------
St. Seb

In Spite of Everything: Yes.

Posts: 962 | From: Burlington, North Carolina | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Molly!

It's a foggy day in London today; I haven't seen the sun at all, and it's that horrible damp, cold, wetness that scots call "dreich".

So a train journey through greyness, with station lights making fuzzy halos as we slid through them. No eccentrics in the carriages, and everyone waiting on the cold platforms wearing woolly or fleece hats. Everything very muffled and quiet.

But! across the road from my house is one inhabited by a family with three children. Every year they put up giltzy Christmas decorations (not common here). This year on the window is a red star, containing within it various circles of lights, green, blue, white yellow. They flash and splash their colours in a whirling concert of colours and shapes.

Some of the neighbours don't like it! hard luck - it's only for a couple of weeks.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marama
Shipmate
# 330

- Posted      Profile for Marama   Email Marama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Miss Molly,
I have been on shore leave this last week or so, so have only just caught up with news of you. But I have been praying and will continue to do so, for you and your family and supporters. Your courage and openness leave me awed - may we all have such grace at the end.
I wouldn't really call me last two weeks 'leave', as I have spent my time getting my PhD thesis into shape for my supervisors. Now they have all 87,000 words of it to read over Christmas - aren't they lucky! And I have time to get ready for my daughter's wedding in January, then submit after I've attended to whatever it is they decide I need to do. And today I'm realising how tired I am.
But the big news here is that it has rained and the bushfires are out. Canberra didn't actually have fires this time, but you will have heard about the fires in Sydney. Scary stuff.
Made the Christmas cake last night. When I was a little girl in England my mother always did that in October - to 'mature'. I use the same recipe, but the 'maturing' seems to happen much quicker here (though I usually manage a little earlier than this!).
Blessings on you and yours,
Christine

Posts: 910 | From: Canberra | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder Christine, is "maturing" a cake like "hanging" a deer roast?

--------------------

mysticlisa

Ship's seer
# 2867

- Posted      Profile for mysticlisa   Author's homepage   Email mysticlisa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Sweet Molly,
Thank you for answering my e-mail... I am sorry to hear that your eyes keep you from being able to read these posts yourself, but it's a bonus that you get to share all the love and prayer with your family & friends.

I was feeling very down this week: work troubles, health problems, family disappointments... I was feeling pretty sorry for myself and got very depressed. And then I began to give thanks. A dear friend suggested earlier that I create a list of 100 things I'm thankful for and 100 people I appreciate... I'm adding to the list daily, and blessing the Lord for His gifts and kindness to me.

You are on that list. Your gentle ways, your sense of humor, your welcome to new shipmates... You have touched the lives of people you've never even met. Thank you!

I am coordinating the plans for a Women's Retreat coming in February. We chose prayer as our theme this year, and it is amazing how this group of women (and even a few men!) have begun to make prayer a priority in their lives. People's lives are changing as a result... Some, like me, are facing some real challenges and oppression. Others are seeing victories and growth they had not anticipated. This wonderful group has been praying for you.

Goodnight dear...
lisa

--------------------
"More things are wrought by prayer
than this world dreams of."
-Alfred Lord Tennyson

Posts: 483 | From: my laptop | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello Molly, signs of doom have appeared at the office in the shape of notices advertising the forthcoming staff Christmas party, and most of us are devising excuses to be elsewhere and leave work early. I went for a few years when younger, but found it stuffed full of retired members of staff reminiscing about the old days, wanting to discuss work, and pointing out with gloomy relish that so-and-so looked much older and even more unwell than last year. The food was generally a complete mystery to us even after we'd eaten it, and all in all it bore no resemblance to the office parties I'd read about, where people get up to things in the broom cupboard and bottles of whisky are later discovered in filing cabinets.

Depending on which section you are in, Christmas at the office is either a wholehearted celebration or completely ignored. Our section completely ignores it to the extent that we are not even having a Christmas lunch, but at the other end of the scale a different section has gone mad with tinsel which now decorates computers, chairs, clocks, picture frames, walls, ceilings, potted plants, in short anything that can have a bit draped round it has got some (some of them even wear wreaths of it) and you have to mind your head if you visit their area because of low-hanging paper chains. One person has a sweater with Santa on, another has earrings to match. They used to have a chocolate advent calendar as well, but the cleaners ate it one year and they decided it wasn't worth replacing it. We always know when they are going for their Christmas lunches (they enjoy them so much they have two) because there's a sudden rash of people wearing green and red felt antlers with little bells, or felt Christmas trees with flashing lights on their heads.

Hopefully all this madness is only temporary, and rationality will be restored. It's very alarming when people around you have outbreaks of Christmas fever to this extent.

multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

- Posted      Profile for multipara   Author's homepage   Email multipara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dearest Miss Molly,

It must be Christmas cake time in the Antipodes ; I have finally made the last of 5 (to be sent as presents mostly). Making a Christmas cake is like nothing so much as mixing concrete by hand (or wooden spoon), since a decent -sized one (3=4 kg) contains at least 1 kg of mixed dried fruit and nuts which has been steeped in rum or brandy for anything from 1 to 7 days depending on how much time you have. I personally think that that is all North Queensland rum is good for-although everyone I know who grew up in Queensland swears that their first drink was a Bundy (Bundaberg)and Coke-usually several of same.

The cakes are all sweltering in the cupboard wrapped in double foil. Next week when the hand is fully healed I'll be covering them with almond paste and fondant icing which is a deadly job as both the paste and icing have to be kneaded and rolled out then draped over the cake-you need to coat the cake with some jam or marmalade to make the paste adhere to the cake and if it is a humid day it can be fiendishly sticky.

At least it does not smell like maturing venison!!!!

Thinking of and praying for you often, and will post again with some more Antipodean trivia when it happens.

Bye for now,

m

Posts: 4985 | From: new south wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim*   Email Duo Seraphim*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Molly,

The posts about Christmas cake have reminded me of a Seraphic Christmas custom - my father's champagne cocktails. We all love them, but none of us are game to drive after two of them. The recipe goes thus:

1 sugar lump doused in Angostura bitters
Douse lump with lug of brandy, followed by lug of Cointreau.
Top up with champagne.
Drink up and demand another.
Drink it.
Slide under table, mumbling.

I don't know whether US TV is troubled by English celebrity chefs, but you will see from the above that my father follows the standard "lug" or "Jamie Oliver".

I've been back to the start of this thread and re-read some of your earlier posts, as you talk about your life and medical experiences with humour and no self-pity at all. I wish I could meet you in real life. Failing that, I'm glad to talk to you through this thread. All of us who post here are so grateful to your "angels" who read our posts out to you. It's the only way most of us have to reach out and hold you.

Once again, blessings and prayers

--------------------
2^8, eight bits to a byte

Posts: 3967 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curious
Shipmate
# 93

- Posted      Profile for Curious   Email Curious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good morning, Miss M.

It's grey and damp here in England - so much for the representations of Christmas on all the cards, which have pristine snow and stagecoaches!!!

I hope you have a better day today - I haven't posted to you before but I'm following all the correspondance you receive! Thank goodness for the Net - your postie would never cope with the sackfuls!!!

Today is a day of 'must do's' for me - must do some sorting out, must do some Christmas preparations, must do some heavy coffee drinking. Must do some packing - I'm coming to the States after 'the day' is over so I will think of you, though not be near you.

With love,

Curious

--------------------
Erin - you are missed more than you could know. Rest in peace and rise in glory - to provide unrest in the heavenly realms.

Posts: 1372 | From: Betwixt and between | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi there, my friend,
Here I sit, all bleary eyed from sitting until late into the night tapping away at the nativity play. At this rate I am in severe danger of becoming addicted to the Ship - good job it's only for a couple of weeks!
The Smudgelet made his own first grand appearance on stage last night. I was telling Nunc how much it made me think of her, seeing as the theme was Christmas Around the World, and Smudgelet was playing the part of a chef cooking on the barbie on the beach, while singing "Tending the barbie, tending the barbie, who'll come a-tending the barbie with me, as we sit on the beach to celebrate Christmas day, who'll come a-tending the barbie with me?" He did a grand job (spot the proud mum).
I'm watching the clock as I have to take him to school shortly while Dad is still away on the mainland (Must remember to meet him and my sister off the boat later today).
Other news from Smudgie Towers is that I have a job to go back to after Christmas. The boss wants noone but me [Embarrassed] and is prepared to let me start back part time and gradually work back up to full fitness at my own pace. I am delighted. A visit into the school reminded me of everything I love about working there. I was even greeted by an unknown little lad who came running up and said, "Hi, I would have been in your class for Maths this year if you'd been here and if I hadn't been moved up a set, but I wanted to say hello anyway and say I'm in Set 3 now". It was lovely.
Molly, I am so glad you have your family there with you. I think of you all often and with much love. The boys, too, remember you in their prayers. Tiddles had a night of missing someone very special to him the other night, and as usual we went out into the garden in the dark and sent a kiss into the heavens to bounce off a star and send straight to her heart. Bless him, he insisted on sending one up there to bounce back to you too, so I just hope you caught it.
I must go now and take this hamson young man with the twinkly blue eyes off to school. ~o~

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello Molly,

This thread is getting very Christmassy! I went out with the nurses from the ward last night. It's good to get to know people away from the hospital. When I worked in an adolescent unit, there was a huge amount of resistance about organising a work gathering at Christmas. As though the adolescent mentality of "don't wanna do this" had rubbed off onto the staff...

We are having the official party for the patients this afternoon and the most senior nurse on the ward has been organising a mountain of food, some of which we hope will get eaten.

Christmas is, you know, so much to do with families and it is difficult trying to make it mean something in an institution. I am sure you remember many, many ward Christmas parties from your work as a nurse...

I guess we can only do our best to take our opportunities for fun and kindness out of all the tinsel and advertising.

It is so good that you have your family gathered there around you. I hope that in your flat it feels warm and safe and loving and gentle. God Bless you and your parents and sister and Seb and Marion.

WD xxx

PaulC

Ship's Lego nut
# 2256

- Posted      Profile for PaulC   Author's homepage   Email PaulC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Molly, I fear I cannot keep our terrible secret any longer and must now call you by your true name. Hence I begin this missive:

Dearest Florence,

I do so hope your view of my character has not been irreparably damaged by my previous account of such wanton gluttony. In an effort to secure your continued good opinion of me I will not even mention the scandalous events that transpired after dinner, or what happened when one of my fellow guests attempted to offer me a "wafer thin mint". However, my brief foray into the reckless abandon associated with succumbing to one of the seven deadly sins has led me to believe that I will be having a very merry Christmas, and that I am sure to be intimately aquainted with the other six before too long (with any luck)!

I have to find my diversions where I can as we are being treated this week to a unhealthy dose of that most British disease, The Curse Of Grey. Everything is grey. It is as if the entire world is wrapped in a shroud that only the faintest rays of sunlight can penetrate, and what's more the pervasive gloom seems to also engender a gloom in one's spirit. More crisp, clear winter days please, and less of this perpetual twilight! Walking along the high street, the greyness gives even the gay Christmas lights a rather sinister glow, and the 10-foot tall inflatable glowing Santas (which seem to be a very popular mode of decoration this year) look very macabre indeed.

Still, I haven't got time to be comtemplating the relative scaryness of those hideous red monstrosities. I have much Christmas shopping to do. Please be getting out of my way, since an elbow in the face often offends. As my mind has been occupied with a great many other things in the last few months, I have drawn a complete blank when it comes to thinking of gift ideas for my friends and family, who are a difficult bunch to shop for at the best of times. Thankfully the judicious use of threats has worked wonders. I simply mentioned to them all in passing that "If you don't tell me what you want, you're getting Lego" and a torrent of ideas poured forth. Except of course from my brother Andrew, who actually wants Lego, and whose Fiance refuses to buy any for him (poor lad).

Thursday evening brought with it another challenge; how to wriggle out of being voluteered to assist in in a dramatic presentation to be performed at the Christmas Eve carol service. Unfortunately I was slightly less successful in this venture. Ever since I wrote a sketch for the service at our summer retreat in Assington (even though I made it plainly clear that I had lifted the work wholesale from the writings of Adrian Plass) I seem to have gained a reputation for having some small talent in these things. So try as I might, I couldn't escape and have been landed with the part of "Christmas Partygoer Number Four" - and they expect me to learn lines! Our director seems to have some rather avant-garde notions regarding the staging of our production too... he feels that the entire performance should have a backing track of a "foetal hearbeat" and feature a disembodied teenage voice pondering on the existence of the Almighty. Mark my words, it will all end in tears! I predict that the whole enterprise will devolve into a farce of epic proportions, but that through His divine providence our audience will be blessed in spite of our efforts. As usual.

There is yet more to tell, but unfortunately you will have to wait a little longer for the next installment. Ain't I a stinker! I remain your obedient servant, Thunderbird One.

Posts: 511 | From: deepest darkest Essex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My darling Molly,
I am sorry for not posting here for a while but you are constantly in our prayers, our thoughts and our hearts.
It has been a busy week here in Dolphyville - had a check up with the Doctor on Monday - no change with my back but at least that gets me out of most of the housework still [Big Grin] . Looks like the court case is going to run into April but, to use your words, no defeat baby, no surrender!!! I also had a check up at the dentist yesterday - all fine there! [Big Grin] (note my shiny teeth!)
The love birds are as bad as ever - Brandy now feels it is his duty to spend the evenings on the table infront of the sofa, Jack and I have learnt to keep an eye on the wine bottle after the last episode! Jessie lies on the floor by the table gazing up into Brandy's eyes...it is very sweet really. They spent the majority of our sleeping hours last night chasing each other round the house. I got very fed up by this eventually and went downstairs to have a word with them. How angelic they looked!!!! *sigh* Eventually they decided that Mummy was right and that since it was 5am, they really ought to go to bed!!! The phrase that my Mum used to say to me comes to mind... I love you very much.... BUT!!! Jessie is now curled up by my side as I write this and they both send you their cuddles and purrs and waggy tails.
It is very cold, grey and wet here at the moment, which really is not fair since yesterday we actually had a few snowflakes fall. Sadly they turned to rain within half an hour. They are saying there is a chance of a white Christmas.. but I'm not getting my hopes up!
We all send you our love and hugs...my dearest guardian angel.
Will post again real soon.
until then,
Love to you and all those around you.
God bless you sweet angel.
Dolphy, Jack, Jessie and Brandy. xxx

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good afternoon, Molly dearest!

I arrived in the office rather late today, having had to take a certain Baby B to see the nice Doctor again this morning. Guess what - she has another ear infection [Waterworks] . Poor lamb - there just doesn't seem to be any end. I can't remember exactly, but I don't think she's had more than 10 days off antibiotics at a stretch in the last couple of months! Ah well - if it'll make her better it's worth it... I just wish there was something we could do to prevent it happening. For now, we're fervently hoping things get better once we've moved - but the idea of another 6 months of this is rather daunting, to say the least! [Frown]

Bro-in-law may be coming to see us tomorrow to join in the merriment of the Christmas Tree Hunt, so that should be fun. I'm certain B will love the tree and the lights once they're all up! We bought a little chime last weekend, which Mr B hung on the landing; now, every time we take B past it we have to stop so that she can make it ring, then beams happily at her achievement [Big Grin]

I suppose I should go and do a little work now, anyway, just in case I have to leave early to take a poorly girl home from nursery (sigh!).

Lots of love to you Molly, and prayers for you and your family & friends.

Mrowwww, prrrrrrrrrrrr & whiffles!

Beets

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Perhaps that side of venison hanging there will smell better with a coat of sugary almondy stuff all over it, like a Christmas cake has...

We've beautiful sun & breezes here, warming to the mid-60's (F) expected for the whole weekend, time to work in the yard, hurrah... oh. I forgot. I'm still sick, hacking up nasty multi-colored ick...

With any luck, I'll be well and whole for the church adults' holiday gathering... at which time the weather will not be good for yard work.

[syrupy sweet nasal hypocritical voice here:]
Dear me, I'm sooo upset, I won't get to muck the leaf drifts and blown trash out of the squishy yard, boo-hoo.
[can you hear how upset I am to miss the yard work?]

Molly, you tell Welsh Dragon that curly dark hair is da bomb, OK?
(Hey, W.D., thinking back on my own adolescence, and looking at my children and nephews... how can you tell when they need psychiatric help? they're always nuts!)

I can sympathize to no end with the ongoing saga of those Baby B ears. Right now we're wrestling back and forth with middle son's wisdom teeth, two a 'dental' extraction and two a 'medical/surgical' removal. (What will/won't insurance cover & if not why not? How fast can we save up $1,000, so as to get him some relief now, and argue with the bureaucrats later? All that sort of worry...)

I am so grateful there is a circle of defenders around Molly there in Utah. I hate to think of people navigating "the system" alone.

Well, never alone, the Lord will walk through it with you if only you'll take hold of His hand... but sometimes one feels His hand best "with skin on", in the hand of a friend.

--------------------

Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good Morning Molly,

Its cold here in Pittsburgh today. Work didn't call, so I have had 2 days off. I think I'm happy about that. Tonight they are predicting a winter storm watch and to expect 6 inches. The storms from the south, do pack a wallop and I am always wary of them. If the storms come from Cleveland or Chicago, they dump the white stuff and life goes on, but with southern storms, its ICE and more ice and more moisture for the trees to be laden with and break. Like the storm in North Carolina, rain soaked power lines will cause a bit of trouble.
I've been quilting - still is more like it. The flannel quilt needs the finishing touches and it will warming me up soon. I have I have a quilt class tonight for a humbug bag. It is a quilted gift bag for stuff. You know stuff that accumulates when you turn around there is more of it everywhere. The quilt store I go to is getting so big that during the holidays they are moving to a bigger building. Seems more people see the great value in hand made.
If this is read to you, know that I haven't called because I want your family to have your full attention. You know that I love you and pray for you going 'home', so no other words need to be said. I will remember all we talked about and said to one another when we did speak, and I won't forget that you will always have a special place in my heart.

Motherboard

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss Molly, I too am scandalized that Welsh Dragon has had her lovely curls straightened, and I hope that the gentle precipitation in and around Oxford will make them sproiiinng back in all their splendour.

We prayed for you at the little eucharist in the Whittall chapel this morning, with the windows of the Virgin, Joan of Arc, and Florence Nightingale shining above us (to the degree that they could shine on 8 o'clock of a St. Lucy's day!). Then I went home, feeling very shivery, and sat at my desk putting together the texts for our carol service. My boss figures that as we can't imitate King's College Chapel, we should do what we do best. So we're going all bucolic--think 'The Woodlanders' with lots of candles and lanterns, and a group of carolers under the pulpit. As well as the usual readings from Isaiah and Luke and John, we're having bits of poetry and prose--Robert Southwell, and Sidney Godolphin, and Thomas Hardy, and Alison Uttley's christmas from 'The Country Child'. And we're making sure the mulled wine is excellent, and that there are plenty of mince pies.
I am so glad you have your family with you, and pray that you rest in their love, which is a little outpost of the love of God.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hils
Shipmate
# 2251

- Posted      Profile for Hils     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dearest Molly,

So, I am about to go into my final week working at the school. Funny how everyone finds problems with their class computers now I am about to leave, therefore I am very busy and rushed of my feet. Because of this the ankle is very painful and needed a good soak in the bath tonight to ease the ache.
The kids had their Christmas meal today, oh what fun that was, rushing about trying to serve dinner to 100 kids [Ultra confused]
Well, better go as we are off to a mulled wine and nibbles evening at some friends from church. Am very tired but ought to put in an appearence.
Am thinking of you and all your family and praying for you all too.
Lots of love from all of us including the devishly handsome hubby who sends you one of his waves acorss cyber space- or did you have another name for it!!!! [Wink] [Wink] [Wink] [Big Grin]
God bless,
Hils

Posts: 470 | From: Surrey | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Molly,

a hug and a wave to you from stormy California!

(Yes, we do get weather here, folks!)

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mejuffrouw Molly,

You are starting to become a celebrity now in Mainland Europe. Last week in my housegroup we prayed for your peace and comfort. This week one of the housegroup members asked me where he could read about you on the internet. Of course I pointed him in this direction. Where will your fame spread next I wonder.

Jonah

Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Molly,

I finally got my magazine out the door this week and the website updated, and I hired a new employee that I get to begin terrorizing after the first of the year.

The Offspring begins teaching munchkins to ski tomorrow at Copper Mountain. We're all terribly proud of him, though becoming a ski bum at the tender age of seventeen doesn't bode well for him ever being able to support us in the fashion to which we would like to become accustomed.

We also found out this week that the person organizing the office Christmas party has hired a karaoke machine. They all expect me to serenade them "because you have such a lovely voice." I have explained repeatedly that I don't sing for free and I don't sing for a machine. Happily, in the past I have frightened the pushier members of the staff, so with any luck they will leave me alone.

It's bright and moderate temperature here in Denver, as I expect it is in Salt Lake, and breezy enough that the air smells clean and wonderful.

I hope you have a comfortable and peaceful weekend. I am praying for you constantly.

Much love,

tomb

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim*   Email Duo Seraphim*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Molly,

Here I am sitting at the computer procrastinating, instead on writing an advice on a contract for ultrasound scanning services.

Chambers is very peaceful on a Saturday. For all the big talk about "coming in on the weekend", not as many do it as you might think.

Christmas moves into high musical gear for the Paddington Cacophonic Society for the next week and a half. We do Gibbon's "This is the record of John" this weekend. Fearless leader has done a very pretty arrangement of a Ukrainian carol "The Carol of the Bells" for the ecumenical carol service - we will sing the usual suspects too. We will also do Howells' "There is a Red Rose". Sadly FL has a fondness for "Away in a Manger", which will go down a treat especially if my alternative lyrics creep in...

The other thing I've noticed about the thread is the weather reports. The air is no longer blood heat in Sydney, but there is a breeze and a bit of cloud. It might rain again - the rainy day we did have perked my plants up no end. It doesn't matter how you water them - there's something about rainwater.

Hope you have your chair now.

as always, blessings and prayers

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Yes, get St. Sebastian, or the next Ship friend you speak to, to tell us (please it God) that your chair has arrived OK...

About the rainwater, that's what my Mamman Rita used to say, and she was always right about plants and gardening, etc.

She kept me up-to-date on all the Old Farmers' Almanac advice, such as which phase of the moon one should use to plant root veggies, versus tall-growing things like okra.

Yes, I know, those are "old wives' tales"... But it's funny how the old wives always have pretty flowers and extra vegetables to sneak into your car while you're rocking on the front porch.

Would you believe I still have some of Mamman Rita's eggs? (Chicken eggs, you silly!)

She would ply me with fresh-laid eggs when I stopped by. Perhaps I'd shop for her groceries or the chickens' cracked corn at the feed store, and it was a struggle to stop her from trying to pay me money. The eggs were a good compromise.

So, she's been gone since July... I miss her lots. Much of our close family, my father's girls and their families I mean, were luxuriating at the "camp" of baby sister's future in-laws on Grand Isle, when we got the call that she'd passed away.

It was so unexpected... of course she had her various ailments, but they were all so well-managed, and she hadn't slowed down much, even if she was over 80!

I knew intellectually that there would be a great void in the family without her, but I'm just now realizing it in this holiday season. I'm the oldest of the cousins, her grand- and great-grandchildren. If I want to stay connected to the others, I'll have to initiate more opportunities for getting together. I don't have Mamman Rita around any more to fill me in on all their doings great and small.

They're so different in many ways... Their children are all tiny, while two of mine are grown. They've all either completed their degrees and gone into prestigious professions, or if they've kept a more traditional Cajun lifestyle they still rake in mountains of money in oilfield and offshore work.

Country club people. High church people if they bother with church at all... All I have in common with them is blood. Is it the blood calling me to strengthen our ties, or Mamman Rita?

--------------------

Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Molly,
I got a good joke pulled on me at work today. We had visiting our school an Australian Basketball team from Bendigo (I think!) near Melbourne (yes, I looked it up on the map, and it is close!). I thought, hummm, wonder if any shipmates are near there?? (Aussie smilie with hat) Our Athletic Director had come in on Tuesday and arranged lunches for the team and coaches, that the A.D. would be paying so let them eat and send the bill. Here come these very sweet, tall boys in today at lunch, I point out, pizza here, taco line there. Deli sandwiches over to the left, salad bar behind, etc, etc. Talked to one of the coaches and tried to find more excuses to talk to them to get an Australian accent fix! Laughed to see the boys all surrounded by girls during lunch (well, couldn't see the boys, really!). Day is done, and I am in the copy room finishing up reports for the day. Our Office Manager is in there, and the A.D. comes in and asks her "Are the Australian kids back from the hospital yet?" We turn and I say "Really?!?" Our O.M. says, "Ah, no, I don't think so..." A.D. says, "Well, we had to take them down right after lunch here.." Well, naive and crazy me starts running through my lists of what we cooked and what I needed to check as I'm standing there with my mouth open. A.D. cracks up, and says, "Just kidding!" Oh, he is in soooo much trouble. I asked just before I left, "And when are you coming in for lunch next??...." [Snigger]

Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My dearest Molly,
I have to tell you about Jessie's early Christmas pressy from Jack and me! I have finally given in, and we have bought her a little doggie coat! It is red tartan and she looks like a little race horse in it. She absolutely adores it - no longer do I say, "Jessie coming walkies?", it is now "Jessie, come and put your coat on", and she rushes to my feet, tail wagging and stands there while I put her coat on!!! So, the next time you look at her photo, you can imagine her wearing her tartan coat. Mum has threatened to knit her a matching hat, and Dad now calls her Jessie McDog. Brandy was most perplexed the first time her saw her in it, but he has now got used to it...am wondering if I should get him a matching coat for Christmas!
With all my love,
Dolphy. xxx

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Sebastian

Staggering ever onward
# 312

- Posted      Profile for St. Sebastian   Email St. Sebastian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Molly does have the chair, and her mama wanted me to thank the Ship again for the money that purchased it. Not the one we originally ordered, which they kept delaying week after week, but a good one. She's been sleeping better in it 'til last night, but it's hard to tell if she was truly uncomfortable in the chair or just generally agitated. The Hallucinations continue, though now Molly is whispering secretively to them but seems unsettled by the conversations. I went over last night to visit, as did several other people. She would doze off but then perk up and smile or comment on something being said, then doze off again. Her mama says she is pain free, though. Yesterday morning we thought she was slipping into a coma because she was "unrouseable". They said they shook her and called her and got nothing. However, she woke up later none the worse. I'm printing out the thread again today and taking it over tomorrow.
I feel like I'm forgetting something, but if so, I'll post it when I remember!

--------------------
St. Seb

Posts: 962 | From: Burlington, North Carolina | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Sebastian

Staggering ever onward
# 312

Ignore this, too. This is where I last printed for Molly.

--------------------
St. Seb

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good morning Molly.... Last night, at my nephew's engagement party, we sat outside under the stars, drinking champagne. It was a lovely evening, with stars shining brightly in the black velvet sky. Great night. Today we say farewell to my brother as he goes off to begin his year-long Army trip to the Antartic... so many comings and goings! It makes us so much more aware of the importance of family...
This morning I am taking the service at the hospital. I cajoled a friend into coming and playing the organ, so we will be all Christmassy with carols at al. I figure if you have to be in hospital this late in Advent, you deserve carols. The service is televised through the building. It should be fun. Same friend, her kids and I will do the Xmas Day one too.
I hope your day goes ok-
with love from someone in your Ship family,
Rowena

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

St. Sebastian has suggested that I bake Mamman Rita's 6-month-old chicken eggs into souffles for people I don't like. [Projectile]

--------------------

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, Miss Molly, just to provide additional relief from too much sweetness and light:

Once again I find myself realizing that Christmas is nearly here and I haven't even begun to do anything about it. No gifts ready, no decorations planned, much less up, and if there are any wreaths and evergreen roping to be had, it will be the derelict leftovers. Sigh. And we have had snow, followed today by a full day of heavy rains. I'm going to have to hope for a couple of days of clear and freezing weather, or I will be crawling around in the mud when I cut down a tree at our small-town Christmas tree farm.

I'm beginning to think that I've gotten too good at this 'living in the moment' thing. I'm having trouble remembering to plan ahead. Then again, it does allow for the morning ritual when my son (who is now 16) finds his favorite cat, picks it up and gets it purring and then slowly brings it closer and closer to my head while I am reading the newspaper; if I don't acknowledge the cat, it eventually ends up literally in my face. Once I break down and say something, we (the son and I) have a silly, semi-ritualized conversation along the lines of "Isn't it a good kitty" "No, it is a worthless furball hanging around my kitchen" "Oh, but look at the cute little paws", all the while scratching, petting, and cooing at the cat. It's really so silly it's pathetic, and I am so thankful for it, because now that he has reached the age where he can't hug me or say 'I love you', he can still shove a cat in my face every morning!
Oops! Sweetness and light snuck back in. Must be your bad influence, Molly. I really did mean to complain, truly I did. <big grin>

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
jlg--Oh is that what that means! Thank you! My occasionally brusque teenage offspring does this too, with her favourite cat: 'Isn't it a Hoo? Isn't it a Hooty-Hoo? Isn't it a big boy?' as the cat (whose name is Esau) descends on me. So that's how they tell you they love you! Awww.

Now, dear Molly, I am going to have a nice hot bath, get dressed, and go off to do Mattins at our daughter church. It is small, red-brick (inside and out) and somewhat lower than I'm used to. The congregation is incredibly nice, and we have the youngest-looking centenarian in the West Midlands. It's Gaudete Sunday, and I'm going to preach on hope.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Donkey, you're not supposed to be out in public while wearing your costume. Shoo!

Funny coincidence that, though, because I just came here to ask if someone is reading the Nativity Play to Miss Molly. It suddenly occurred to me that it might explain the hallucinations!

Hugs to all of you.

[NOTE: nativity character post was deleted. That's not allowed.]

[ 15. December 2002, 21:20: Message edited by: Erin ]

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good evening Molly dear!

Yes, the delights of the Nativity Play have finally lured me into logging on from home! Mr B is not at all sure what to make of this - but as he's been telling me freqently that of course I should feel free to use the internet at home, he hasn't really got much room to say otherwise now! [Wink]

We managed to get a Christmas Tree yesterday, so it's now occupying a corner of our living room. The armchair which had to be evicted in order to make room is now in front of the computer. Unfortunately though, Mr B's work is still occupying too much of the floor, so the chair isn't quite close enough. I'm currently kneeling to write this! [Big Grin]

B loves the tree, as we expected. Her main aim in life now seems to be to pull a particular couple of baubles off it, and try and eat them, so the playpen has reappeared in order to protect both her and the tree! The cats don't seem at all interested, which is good - although George spent yesterday evening draped over the arm of the chair next to the tree, staring intently at one of the lights... Alice has realised it's another useful source of drinking water, but hasn't paid any attention to it at all beyond her initial examination. She's rather too busy sleeping on our bed to worry about unusual plant life appearing elsewhere in the house! [Snore]

Ah well, I should probably log off soon - after all, I need to leave a few threads to catch up on tomorrow in the office! [Wink]

God bless you Molly - may you feel His arms around you, holding you close in His love.

Mrowwwww, prrrrrrrr, and lots of whiffles

Beets

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

I'm so glad you have your chair.

And I'm glad you have your entourage there. So happy especially that Mama Helen can be there.

As I peacefully sit here and type grateful thoughts, my Mike is leaping about, screaming at the top of his masculine lungs, clapping and stomping and losing his religion, over the New Orleans Saints/Minnesota Vikings game. The Saints have just lost. "Freakin' defense lets 'em down every time."

Sigh. I suppose I should let him take over the keyboard now. It'll cheer him up.

God bless you today.

--------------------

tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Molly,

Yesterday, Julie and I went up into the mountains to her family cabin and cut down a tree growing too close to the road. It will be a splendid Christmas tree. We skied up about half a mile, and guess who got to drag the thing down?

It's now happily ensconsed on the front porch in a stock-pot full of water. I have no idea when we'll get it into the house and trimmed. Perhaps the afternoon of Advent IV.

The Offspring came home from teaching skiing yesterday and found it on the porch and was scandalized. "It's only the 14th!" he exclaimed. I'd like to chalk up his highly-evolved liturgical sense to a family intention to observe Advent fully before leaping into the Christmas, but alas, it's more likely that we're "liturgical" because we're disorganized.

This afternoon, we went down to the Denver aquarium (where The Offspring volunteers) to hear the teenaged son of one of our colleagues play in a 'cello choir. It was a great time. They actally played very well. Usually with that sort of thing, you find yourself trying to hike up the pitch of at least one of the player by tilting your head to the side and raising your shoulder. You end up with a sore neck for days. But these guys were pretty good.

I thoroughly enjoyed the exhibition of trout the size of salmon. It made me hungry. "Now how would I cook that," I mused.

And we sat before an exhibit that had a huge moray eel it it. The animal was a surprising fluorescent lime green, and it had an ill-tempered scowl on its face that reminded me of the Grinch who stole Christmas.

Julie is very tired today. The cat woke her up at 3 a.m. last night purring and would not let her go back to sleep. She's very old (the cat, not Julie), and we think she's getting senile.

Much love to you. You are in my prayers. May your love of God burn brighter every moment.

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

quote:
Originally posted by tomb:
Dear Molly,

Yesterday, Julie and I went up into the mountains to her family cabin and cut down a tree growing too close to the road. It will be a splendid Christmas tree. We skied up about half a mile, and guess who got to drag the thing down?

I love these descriptions of proper cold Christmas and snow.

Sleep easy, Molly, in your lovely new chair. Joy and peace to you and all those you love.

--------------------

welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

Hi Molly,

I hope that your dreams have been only pleasant ones.

I have been thinking of you and meaning to post since our ward Christmas party. Unfortunately the hospital food has been getting a protracted revenge (I think that's what it was), so haven't been doing much of anything.

The party was a well executed affair, with heaps of bad-for-you (in all sorts of ways) nibbles. However, everyone was all sat round in a square, in that good old hospital way, and things hadn't really started to get going.

Then one of the patients got out the music. First he put on some rock that was far too loud ("no no" we called), then we got some drippy classical music ("something livelier!"). Finally, he triumphantly put on the CD that was just the thing to melt the atmosphere. The first song was of course, Fields of Gold.

And the lovely melody and words that spoke of love and faithfulness and natural beauty cut through the hospital drabness and changed it, just for that bit of time.

And of course I thought of you...

and goodnight for now from me

WDxxx

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good morning, Molly, from a birthday girl with a cold! The worst thing was playing keyboards at yesterday's carol service and having no voice. But I admit I risked singing the descant on 'hark the herald' at the end - I could hold out no longer.

The church was decorated with hundreds of candles, including some surrounded by greenery at the top of long poles on the end of each pew. At the front were two tables covered in blue cloth with about 50 candles on each. The effect was suitably Lord of the Rings-ish (our theme this year is 'magic and mystery'), although several of us were nervously standing by with damp cloths towards the end of the sermon! Our charismatic evangelical lot are not used to so much smoke in church.

I hope you enjoy the chair (throne?) and are as comfortable as possible. I wish I could give you a cuddle of a birthday present my friend sent me - a lovely toy doggy which I've named Porthos, after the one in 'Enterprise'.

Hugs and prayers,

Gill

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

Hello again Molly,

I was minded to mention something else, which is that I have so much enjoyed the outlet for creativity that I have found since I have been on the Ship these past few months. It has been wonderful just to sit and write. And this thread has especially been a writing thread. I think that the example of your own style has been a spur to that.

I always liked writing you know, but it has taken a back seat to medicine over the years of my training to the extent of being smothered. And it is rather nice to be "finding a voice" again. So thank you for being part of that too.

And God Bless you and yours all as you wake up to this new day.

lots of love

WDxxx

splosh
Shipmate
# 2743

- Posted      Profile for splosh   Email splosh   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Molly,

I got to spend 4 hours sitting in a boat on the river over the weekend. Rowing is wonderful in the heat and the sunshine, but on a cold winters day, with continous rain, and a cold wind it is horrible [Disappointed]

Back to work today, and the heating seems to have packed in. Therefore we are all sitting around in coats, attempting to type. It isn't very easy with cold fingers.

God Bless you this day.

--------------------
Just remember you are one of God's special people

Posts: 1371 | From: Slightly less north than before | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Trying out a new narcotic cough syrup for this nasty cold/sinus infection/bronchitis we're all playing host to at my house.

It doesn't cure you, but you feel a lot less pain & no longer care that you're sick.
(Hiccup).

Correction: Jessamyn the college voice major is healthy. She sported a nasty tenacious bronchitis for weeks & weeks thru the end of summer, while the rest of us tra-la-la'ed our way callously along, like a bunch of Smurfs.

Well, we're blue now! And she is a bundle of energy, taking over my more arduous household projects while on semester break.

Oh, well, it's my turn to hack & wheeze for a while.

--------------------

jedijudy*

Jedi defender of ship's cats
# 1059

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy*   Email jedijudy*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Molly! I'm surely glad you have your chair. Hope that makes your breathing a lot easier!

I can't believe that Advent 3 is in the past already! I think it's my favorite Advent Sunday...along with 1, 2 and 4 of course! It's just that we get to light the pink candle, and have some Joy! I played the Bach/Gounod arrangement of "Ave Maria" (yes, in a Methodist Church!) with the Crumhorn stop for the melody on the pedals. Very soothing! Then (my man) Bach for the Postlude. I know you're not much of a classical music fan, but I think you would have danced a bit had you been here with me yesterday. What fun!

Rest well, dear Heart, and lean on God's strong arms. With all the prayers we send up, Heaven should be full of hope and joy especially for you!

<Deep bow to my Honored Jedi Sister>

Judy (and the various members of the Jedi Temple)

--------------------
ENFP...do you see a "T" anywhere??? I don't think so.

Posts: 3248 | From: Soon to be inhabiting identity # 333!!! | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Sebastian

Staggering ever onward
# 312

Dear Shipmates,

I just had a long talk with Molly's exhausted and overstressed sister. They had a bad night last night, with Molly hallucinating wildly and trying to remove her oxygen mask or trying to get out of her chair. Her brother, niece and nephew came yesterday and left this morning. Donna (the sister) said they had a good visit. Molly dozed some, listened a lot, and talked a little. She's pretty lucid during the day, but at night she's having a harder and harder time with the hallucinations.

She asked the Hospice nurse yesterday how much longer she had. The reason she seemed to be failing so fast initially was that she waited too long before getting Hospice involved. Once they were, they were able to give her treatments to make her breathing easier, clear up an infection it turned out she had, etc. The nurse estimates two to three weeks, possibly. She said Molly has a very strong heart (as we all know).

Donna is going to ask if Hospice provides respite care. I'm worried her poor Mama is going to get sick. I'm giving them my apt while I'm in North Carolina (12/20-1/2)so they can get away and sleep if possible.

I'm starting to feel a little helpless that I can't do more, but if Hospice CAN provide respite care for the family, then that will be ok.

That's the latest. I'm going over there this evening, so I'll post again tomorrow after my morning check up call.

--------------------
St. Seb

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Sebastian.... you are doing a lot.... you are so generous and kind... they will appreciate your apartment, I am sure.

Good morning Molly... Nunc is in town this week. Today we are lunching, then Harry Pottering. We will talk heaps, laugh a lot, share the memories of my trip- and think of you with love.

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016