homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Glory   » Fields of Gold (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  18  19  20 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fields of Gold
Miss_Molly

Toujours gai
Beloved
# 2339

- Posted      Profile for Miss_Molly   Email Miss_Molly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear shipmates, greetings from Utah!

I have just sent St Sebastian home. He drove me to the doctor today, sat with me while I received my chemotherapy, and, on hearing that I was not finished preparing for my parents' visit, vacuumed and dusted for me! Lest you think I am a total slattern, everything else was done, and, of course I made appropriate noises of protest...

I had not expected to receive chemotherapy today, but my hematocrit was up from 29.6 to 33 today, and my white blood cells were at 4,000, so Dr Reilly ordered it to be done. Some of you have expressed an interest in what is involved in chemotherapy, so I will write a little bit about it here.

The chemo is administered in a room full of overstuffed lounge chairs. It looks as though someone forgot that living rooms usually have sofas and coffee tables and, having found a big sale, bought the furniture store's stock of Lazy Boys out. There are a couple of prime locations in this room. One is behind a half wall and next to a small TV and VCR with videos available on a shelf. The next best location is in the corner facing the door. Here there is enough room to kick the leg rest up without interfering with the nurses getting around. There are pillows and blankets for those receiving drugs that take a long time to administer.

Cara, whom I knew from St Joseph Villa, is my chemo nurse. She uses a vein on my left hand to place the angiocatheter that will carry the drugs into my body. She is an excellent starter of IVs, never requiring more than one try to get the catheter in my vein.

First, she gives me a drug called Anzemet to prevent nausea, and a steroid to decrease the chances of my going into shock These are diluted in half a liter of fluid. It takes about half an hour to run them into my body.

Now comes the Carbiplatin, the chemotherapy agent.
Like all chemotherapy agents, it is designed to kill fast-growing cells. Because an "aggressive" cancer like mine grows faster than anything else in my body, it is hoped more cancer will die than normal cells. Even so, it is the chemotherapy agents that hamper my recovery from anemia, and depress my immune system. A normal white blood cell count is about 10,000, mine is less than half that. Consequently, I must be very careful, and my friends must be careful to wash their hands and not come around me when they have an infectious illness. I don't have a strong defense anymore. The carbiplatin also takes about half an hour to run in, also in half a liter of fluid. Cara comes and removes the IV, and I am done until next time.

On my own, I take ten doses of VP-16, also known as Vepicid. This medication is a "helper" to the Carbiplatin. I take it as a capsule, once a day; before I take it I must premedicate myself for nausea. The Vepicid is causing me to lose my hair, but don't worry, colorful scarves really appeal to me. My mother also says she will make me a dust cap or two such as my heroine Sophie Aubrey might have worn. Ruth W's Jane Austen avatar is wearing something similar, though hers is lace and mine will be opaque. Or I might get baseball caps!

--------------------
"I come from a state that raises corn, and cockleburrs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me"

Congressman Willard Duncan Vandiver at a naval banquet in Philadelphia, 1899

Posts: 1242 | From: home | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Miss_Molly

Toujours gai
Beloved
# 2339

- Posted      Profile for Miss_Molly   Email Miss_Molly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just want to add that the time this was posted was seven hours after it was begun. My parents arrived (hurrah) and we had KFC, my mother's good potato salad, which she had made at home and brought 550 miles in an ice chest, and very sweet watermelon, also from Colorado.

Then we engaged in the family avocation. Topics tonight included Bull Halsey, U S Grant, adventures in nursing, the status of various family members, why baseball is better than football (or not) and how best to display the holy earth from New Mexico.

Now they are asleep in my living room, my mother on my futon sofa, and my father on an air mattress. He has also dozed a bit on my lazyboy chair.

Tomorrow, a trip to the drugstore, which will be getting my Vepicid and an alternate anti-barf drug, since I truly dislike the one I have been taking. My father plans to find the genealogy library as well. My mother has given him a big pad and lots of pencils and markers. He has been working on our genealogy for about a year (no, none of us come from another planet), and this will be engrossing and wortwhile for him. I told mother about a genealogy book available there, which was written by a Dillon who was an Air Force colonel, but apparently spent to much time pulling G's and blacking out. This man contends we are all descendants of Thor! There are certainly some of us you don't want swinging a hammar in your vicinity, but we don't have blonde braids, or the ability to fly! We shall see if my father finds it and what his reaction is.

--------------------
"I come from a state that raises corn, and cockleburrs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me"

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Molly,
last night Welsh Dragon and I went to sung Evensong in Christchurch Cathedral, Oxford. It was beautiful and glorious...
We looked for a candle to light for you, but there were now around- so we just prayed instead.
The music was lovely...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Miss Molly,

I am so glad that the doctor's review went so well and hope that you won't be feeling too bad after the chemotherapy and won't have too many adverse effects. I think that the description of the chemotherapy suite as having a Lazy Boy emporium vibe is rather good!

(By the way have you told Dr. Reilly that he has "the complexion of a young girl"? Despite being in his late sixties? And if so did you manage to get any kind of rise out of him? Just wondered...I have the impression of a rosy cheeked, kindly, white haired and possibly rather good looking physician tho of course my imagination could be playing tricks again...)

I ended up wandering round a music store [Smile] , having some unexpected time on my hands yesterday, and found a Gospel section that I had not seen before, so I had a good rummage for the hymns you were discussing the other day. Only one I could find was Uncloudy Day, from what I could remember (uncloudy -unusual word!* an uncloudy sky over fields of gold would be rather good [Sunny] wouldn't it?). Liked the hymn too.

I then was rummaging about in the hymnal at evensong at Christchurch while we were being sung at and found the Brief Life one, with 2 alternatives for tunes and a handful more verses (would you like them copied?). Also an impressive pedigree - 12thC - St. Bernard of Cluny I think.

3 cheers I think for St. Sebastian who is being so wonderful, even to doing your vacuuming (here is where I restrain myself from any jokes about the danger of his swords catching on the vacuum hose).

God Bless you both

WD

[Sunny] * un cloudy, a. (Oxford English Dictionary)

1675 GASCOIGNE in Rigaud Corr. Sci. Men (1841) I. 223 A clearer and more uncloudy sky than ordinarily England doth allow. 1711 GAY Rural Sports I. 108 Now..twinkling orbs bestrow th' uncloudy skies. [Sunny]

Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many many more hugs!

L'chaim!!

[Heart] [Heart] [Heart] from David [Heart] [Heart] [Heart]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss Molly, I've really been enjoying this thread. I wish I could write so well.

I was looking round the web with my favourite search engine and found the words to The Barefoot Boy with Boots on and, as it's on CD, a two minute sampler if you can 'read' real audio. (The sampler seems to be from a cassette which is out of print, but a CD by John McCutcheon has it.)

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

- Posted      Profile for multipara   Author's homepage   Email multipara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss Molly,

I was delighted to hear that you were able to have the chemo but simultaneously thought "yuck" at the thought of carboplatin and VP16. Reminds me of afew years back when a friend of mine was having chemo for brest cancer (she is doing well 13 years down the track). I was the support person on her treatment days but unfortuntaely the support team also included her 18 month old son and my 2 youngest-aged 2 and 4. It was quite a job to keep their sticky little paws out of the IV trolley! We used to arrive very apologetically but the other patients and the nurses were at least able to see the hilarity of our visits.

Great that your mum and dad are in town, complete with potato salad and watermelon.

I will be watching these pages for the next blood count.

A big hello to St Seb, domestic goddess extraordinaire. There is a special spot in heaven for such stalwarts as he!

cheers,

m

--------------------
quod scripsi, scripsi

Posts: 4985 | From: new south wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Miss_Molly

Toujours gai
Beloved
# 2339

Just a quick post, dear friends. I could not sleep last night because it was too hot, so I am pretty tired, and mean to go to bed soon. I will try to post later also.

For right now, the news is the pharmacy could not give my parents the Vepecid. As a medicaid patient, I am required to use a generic substitute. They could not get the Zofran, either, as it must be specially approved, due to cost and no generic substitute. The pharmacist was very apologetic and promised to have at least the Vepecid on hand later today. If they don't approve the Zofran, I will stick to the Phenergan. I don't like it, but it does the job; I can live with grogginess and slowed digestion for 10 days a month.

In other news, my dad assembled a TV stand and hooked up a VCR that was used by my grandmother/aunt when she lived with them. We watched Kismet, a musical my father and I both love. With true sacrifice, he is lending me his copy to enjoy. How much do I love Kismet? Well it was playing some years ago at a movie house here in town that specialized in old films. It was the second film on the bill; the first was Royal Wedding, a great Astaire film. I formed the habit of walking to the movie house every night to see Kismet. (I had no car at the time) One night I got there a bit late and they had closed the ticket booth. However, they told me to go in, as I had paid so many times to see it! [Cool]

--------------------

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love the classic musicals too, Miss Molly. As I've said elsewhere, my fantasy would be to live in an MGM musical.

This morning Sarah Kennedy on Radio 2 played 'Fields of Gold' and I immediately thought of you walking through the cornfields.

It also brought to mind the only time I've ever walked through cornfields, which wasn't so romantic! We were on our honeymoon, and the guest house had recommended a nearby pub for an evening meal. They told us there was a path through the cornfield. The 'path' was practically non-existent, and since both of us have bad hayfever, we looked a comical sight after a 20-minute blunder through Pollen Central. I'm sure the meal was lovely, but all I can remember is constant sneezing and streaming eyes from the pair of us!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
This morning Sarah Kennedy on Radio 2 played 'Fields of Gold' and I immediately thought of you walking through the cornfields.

I heard it and immeditely thought of you too. It wasn't Sting thought, but a female singer with a lovely haunting voice.
Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Miss_Molly

Toujours gai
Beloved
# 2339

Hello again dear shipmates!

This will be a short post, I am afraid, but I will hope to post more entertainingly tomorrow.

I was able to get the oral chemotherapy drugs today (or rather my parents were able to pick them up for me), and medicaid cleared me to have the expensive anti-barf drug!

I am very tired and queasy just now, so I will sign off. Thank you for your prayers and messages. I feel you all upholding me.

--------------------

Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sometimes the body just needs to rest, and heal itself. So yes, please, take a nap, read, and let us know later! Have you taken trips? I've been privileged to travel in Germany, England, and France. Also a car trip to Alaska with my daughter (we had an absolute blast!). Anyplace you'd love to visit? I'd like to see more of the US, I've only seen the Rockies from a plane. More of England (the ruins! I think the stones resonate within me and I take many pictures and sketch, touch them, feel the brushings by of people who lived there centuries ago - my folks once brought back a rock from a wall in France and commented to my Dad's son that the rock was very, very old - his comment, "What rock isn't old? Ha, ha!) Israel, even with all the unrest. The Barrans of Canada (I've read too much Farley Mowat!). Hiking the Gates of the Arctic. Tundra is so wonderfully springy to walk on! Back at ya!
Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss Molly

I'm happy and relieved that you got your medicines. I can't imagine feeling so sick and having to wonder and fret about procuring the necessary drugs to ease your symptoms. [Frown]

You sound like you handle it with grace, gentleness and patience. I would be collapsed in dispair, I'm sure.

Praying that you rest well and long and that the queasiness will abate.

The candles I light tomorrow at Vespers will be for you, and I'll picture you in my mind and heart, so that in some way, you'll be in the service with me.

Love you, as always. [Heart]

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

Bronwyn
Shipmate
# 52

- Posted      Profile for Bronwyn   Email Bronwyn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just been talking to Miss Molly on MSN(naughty me when she should be resting). She is very nausous with the current treatment of chemo she is having. She asked me to put a note here saying she is too tired and feeling she can not post here today. She is thinking of her shipmates though as always.
I was glad to know her parents were there when she was feeling so unwell and they were able to help her.
Please pray that the nausea will go.

Bronwyn

--------------------
Fragile X syndrome is part of our lives. Someone I love makes me proud who has this syndrome. I love you Miriam.

Posts: 1221 | From: Melbourne (Australia) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Miss Molly,

So sorry to hear that you have been so badly affected by nausea. I will be praying for it to go away.

I have been staying with some friends who for various reasons needed comforting, and the best and most appropriate thing to do seemed to be to go into the garden and do some picking and have a baking session. Was thinking of your earlier posts about your childhood on the way home, the farm produce canning ones. It's so satisfying making things, if you can put love and creativity in it.

Glad you have your parents with you to take care of you. I wish I could visit (or at least send you some tidbits to tempt what appetite you have) but I cannot so I will send you prayers and ((( [Heart] virtual hugs [Heart] ))) instead.

Please [Not worthy!] don't think of posting till you feel well enough, and don't overtire yourself. I think that what you have already written has been so beautiful and has touched so many of us, you have already achieved a great thing.

God bless you and your family.

WD

Miss_Molly

Toujours gai
Beloved
# 2339

Just a brief post, dear shipmates, as I have promised my mother to go to bed in five minutes.

It has been a very hard day, but I think the worst of this round of chemotherapy is over! Last night, shortly before I spoke to Bronwyn, I fainted enroute to the bathroom. Very inconsiderate of me. I made quite a boom going down (hit my head on a closet door)! My folks ran in and were trying to help me all the ways they could think of. My father wanted to help me up, but eventually, I managed to grab the back of a chair which he wheeled over, get to my knees and then to my feet. All night long, my parents kept coming and peeking at me asleep to make sure I was still using my share of air.

Today, in the afternoon, I had a severe bout of nausea, lasting a couple of hours, but I am much better now, and holding down a poached egg on toast, two cinnamon wasas, a cup of tea, and of course, the Vepecid.

Saint Sebastian came for supper tonight, but I just languished in my chair. No hostessing from me, couldn't even open my eyes. If they had told me the building was on fire, I would have thought seriously before I attempted escape. [Razz]

However, I think he had a pretty fair visit with my folks, and hope he enjoyed the pork chops, fried apples, new potatoes, and peas. I shall be having the leftovers, never fear. I know they liked seeing him very much, and hoped this indicated in some way their gratitude to him for his care of me, and indeed their gratitude to you all.

--------------------

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The singer was Eva Cassidy - I'm sure Miss Molly has that version by now!

Yesterday at church we prayed for a member who does not have much longer to live. Space was left for people to pray for others they knew, so I was able to pray for you, Miss Molly. I led worship, and used a variety of songs on the theme of God being our hope and strength: Before the throne of God above (to that lovely Celtic tune), Rock of ages (the new tune with the chorus 'My Rock, my Rock, my Jesus, my Rock') and this one:

'Every day I look to You
To be the strength of my life
You're the hope I hold on to
Be the strength of my life'

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bon appetit, Miss Molly, and I hope today is a really good day for you!
Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Heart] HUGS [Heart]

Did the CD work? It's supposed to play in any CD player...

Hugs'n'Hamsters

David

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss Molly:
Report on London today - warm weather and a glorious sunset with wispy pale pink clouds gently floating in a light blue sky. All up and down the edge of the tube line, there are clumps of mauve Michaelmas daisies showing off.

Had a visit from Flossie, my daughter's cat, pure white and softly fluffy, elderly and very sensuous. Her name comes from candy floss, not dental floss.

Laughed at myself when I opened a can of fruit tonight - all these years I've had pictures of the wrong kind of canning when I've read books by American authors. [Sunny]

Sweet dreams.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miss_Molly

Toujours gai
Beloved
# 2339

No nausea thus far today, I am well, except tired.

Thank you Rowen, Welsh Dragon, Gill, and Bessie Rosebride for your prayers for me.

Gill, your pansy cross-stitch now hangs on the wall on my "eclectic" prayer wall. To me, it stands for all the thoughts and prayers of my dear shipmates, but especially yours. The area really is diverse. In addition to the holding cross and medal of the Sacred Heart I have mentioned before, there is a deeply mysterious Book of Kells style Christ reigning from a cross, and a dreamcatcher given me by Deacon Libby. On the chest of drawers beneath these resonant things, there is a special cup holding the holy earth from New Mexico that JB and Motherboard obtained for me, a red candle, and a small felt tyrannosaurus rex. This last was a present I gave a friend many years ago, when she was undergoing a difficult time, telling her to keep him in her pocket and sic him on the bad guys! Now she has sent him to me to sic on whatever may be bothering me.

I have not yet dared to tell Dr Reilly how lovely his complexion is. I doubt it is on his top ten list of things in which he takes pride. While he can take pride in his beautiful skin, he can take much more pride in his excellence as a physician. He listens carefully to me and my wishes, and does everything he can to keep me comfortable, but does not try to push anything on me. Every visit, he asks me if I have pain. I have occasional twinges and aches, but I have a secret aid against them. The measure of Dr Reilly is that he didn't turn a hair when I told him I had a visualization (suggested to me by a nurse when I was in the hospital) of rabbits eating carrots AKA my cancer. I have a strong capacity for imagining, and I imagine that the Prince of a Thousand Enemies has lent me his aid. There are many rabbits: a large white one, a wild one, a lopeared one, one that is mostly black but has a white streak on his face, and two rabbits that I knew when they were alive, Koala and Panda by name. I have a pleasant, moonlit night for them, with watercress and clover to eat for dessert after they have eaten carrots. There is soft grass for them to lie in, and no fear of predators. So whenever I hurt, I direct these lapine allies to the pain. They always succeed in relieving me. Dr Reilly, the day he heard about them, said at parting, "keep those rabbits working; they do a good job."

Ann, thank you for the link to the barefoot boy! I showed it to my father, who much enjoyed it. It is a sign of how quick the folk process is in music that the song I grew up singing has the same general kind of humor, but is at variance in many ways. Apparently, talented members of my family, not remembering the exact words, made up verses that fit.

Lady A, I was fortunate enough to travel. I have been to Boston, and to Ireland three times. I hope you can hike the tundra, and see all other places that intrigue you. St Sebastian tells me that it is Orthodox belief that after you die, your guardian angel has so many days to take you to all the places you longed to see in life. I would very much like to see Dublin Bay again, and Kilkenny.

Dear Chastmaster, your CD has not arrived, but I scarcely need it, your hugs are so warm and encouraging.

Welsh Dragon, I am glad you liked Uncloudy Day. I love the verse "where the tree of life in eternal bloom, sheds its lovely fragrance on an uncloudy day." These old hymns are so simple and their simplicity speaks directly to the heart.

Multipara, I am sure you were a tower of strength to your friend. I am delighted she has remained so long in remission. I was amused thinking of little children in the chemo suite. I have not seen any in ours. The youngest person I saw was a young lady, quite lovely. I felt so sorry for her. She had lost all her hair and was thin, obviously severely ill. I thought how hard on her to quite possibly losing her life just as it was opening out for her.

In case any of you have been doing any worrying about who will care for me during my next round of chemo, St Sebastian called today to say he would be spending the nights with me next time. I said I hoped I would not need his aid, but that I appreciated the offer. Certainly, telling my mother and father that someone would assume guard dog duties when they couldn't, made them feel much better.

Daisy May, your post made me laugh. Thanks.

--------------------

Miss_Molly

Toujours gai
Beloved
# 2339

Re: Flossie: here she would be named Candy, Daisy May, as we call the fairground treat cotton candy. I had a clear picture of what her fur must be like from her name. We had two soft, loving cats with cotton candy fur.

As long as I am doubleposting, I may as well say it is just my favorite kind of autumn day, rainy and cool. The trees in the park are just beginning to yellow. The clouds are a lovely soft grey, with wide white streaks, and patches of pure pale blue sky.

--------------------

Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss Molly, glad to hear that you are so much better! I have two bunnies to add to your crew! Blackberry is a common bunny, mostly white with grey patches, and a grey stripe down his nose. Higgins is smaller and a wonderful soft charcoal grey. They have a huge cage with a loft (!) and in the winter they spend much time with us (except when they tried to chew through my sewing machine cord last year!) I'm glad you have wonderful bunnies to help you. Have you read any Brian Jacques and the Redwall books? I love his bunnies in there, a truly fighting & valiant crew. My bunnies love clover, of course, but a bunny favorite is apple tree limbs. They will eat the leaves, then strip off the bark. Tough little critters! Glad you are feeling better, maybe I'll be lucky enough to get to Ireland. Where did you get to go?
Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

Molly-Rah!

I haven't come across much Southern Harmony, although I have sung 'The Midnight Cry'. We used to have a pianist from Pittsburgh in our church who taught it to us. That was fun.

I'll be humming it all day now...

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Molly, you're on to something there with the rabbits. I know from my own experience that visualizations can work surprisingly well, not just for yourself but for others.

I saw some little wild rabbits not so long ago from the train, scampering around a newly harvested field in bright midday, while the cows stood looking bemused at these audacious little creatures. Most of my journeys lately, including commuting, have been through rather a lot of countryside and have generally been quite uplifting. It's that poignant time of year here when the early mornings are just beginning to be frosty but midday is as warm as you expect from late summer, and the trees are showing the first signs of autumn colours. The fields are beautiful in the mornings with the mist rising off them like clouds of steam, and the sheep and cows just beginning to wake up and go in search of breakfast. The early morning light tints everything a pale gold, and I have even seen deer and hares from the train window. Arrival at Oxford comes as a sudden shock to the system, but a welcome one none the less.

I've lit candles for you in some of the cathedrals I have visited recently, and have tossed a bright coin into the steamy, copper-coloured depths of the sacred spring at Bath. I wish you well with all my heart, and will continue to do so.

multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

- Posted      Profile for multipara   Author's homepage   Email multipara   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss Molly,

I hope that's the worst of the nausea for this cycle of chemo, and that your blood counts don't dive too much in the next few weeks.

My good mate Marg has been as a much a tower of strength to me (more so,probably) than I ever was to her in those dark days.

Hang in there, I think of you often.

cheers to you and also to the faithful St Seb

m

Miss_Molly

Toujours gai
Beloved
# 2339

Dear Shipmates, good morning, afternoon, evening or wee small hours as the case may be.

Lady A, thank you for sending your rabbits to help me. I will make sure they get treats, although not apple tree limbs or electrical cords. In answer to your question about where I travelled in Ireland, I was in Limerick, Galway, Kilkenny, and Dublin, and on a bus tour to Drogheda, the Hill of Tara, Brugh na Boinne, Monasterboice and the Battle of the Boyne's reputed site, also a couple of excursions to Glendalough. I spent most of my time in Dublin, as I had a close friend there, and came to love that "dear, dirty" city with all my heart. I avoided, except for the bus tour, living like a tourist, preferring to go around on my own and on foot. Once, to my great delight, I was asked for directions on O'Connell Street, by a couple of Irish people no less! Fortunately, I knew how they should go to reach their destination. The last time I was in Ireland, I stayed with my friend, who was remodelling a house he had just bought, and had the interesting tasks of shopping, cooking, laundering and DIYing according to the possibilities in Dublin. I learned, among other things, just how hard it is to hand-launder bluejeans, and how long it takes them to dry hanging in the backyard! (Luckily, we had clear weather.)

Ariel, thanks so much for your finely-crafted (as always) description of the English countryside. It was like a vacation to read it. Long may you enjoy such delights.

Multipara, my blood counts must be improving. After my lengthy bout of nausea the other day, I was white as chalk, but my lips were redder than they have been in my adult life. I have always been anemic, usually hovering around 34 on my RBC, and always had pale pink lips, so red ones now must mean things are improving. Additionally, I am not so short of breath, which is another sign of improved oxygen carrying capacity, as we know. Thank you for your warm interest.

My parents left for their home yesterday morning. I was sad to see them go, but I know they have many tasks to perform in Colorado. It was not a jolly toot for them to be here! My poor father never did get to the genealogy library, what with assembling furniture and taking my mother shopping for things she insisted I needed. Anyone want to come help me eat all this food? You could bring a regiment or two of HM's forces if you like---there's plenty! One day my father came in with a plastic object, that to my first horrified glance, looked like a Habitrail. I thought, "oh my God, they've bought me a hamster!" However, it proved to be a bin storage system to place under the sink. It comes in handy to hold lots of kitchen items my mother thought I needed, bless her heart.

My father did get one pleasure, however. His WW2 buddy, Donald Hunter, who lives about 100 miles north of Salt Lake City, was in town Monday, and he and his wife came for a visit. My parents and the Hunters went to lunch together, and I believe my father enjoyed himself very much. My father has only recently been in touch with this friend; they lost track of each other after the war, and Mr Hunter never comes to the annual reunion. However, one day my father was wishing he could find his friend, and I, knowing Mr Hunter had been a devout member of the LDS Church, suggested that my father write the president's office of that body, since his whereabouts would be known to them. Mr Hunter duly received a message from the First Presidency office, giving my father's contact details, that he had been trying to find Mr Hunter, and a personal message from my father to the effect that Mr Hunter did not have to eat the Book of Mormon! It had been a bet they had during the war, that my father would read this book and if he found anything in it contradictory to the Bible, Mr Hunter would eat it! So, Mr Hunter knew the message was really from his old war buddy, but he concluded my father must have become a member of the LDS Church.... However, he has swallowed his disappointment, and he and my father have a good time together.

Fans of Freddy will be interested to hear that he has become an (unwilling and protesting) father. Last Wednesday two kittens arrived, bearing a remarkable resemblance to Freddy. He swears he only waved the tip of his tail at their mother, for politeness' sake. She, meantime, has skipped the country, so Freddy is grudgingly allowing the kittens to sleep near him. Not in his basket, however! Fortunately, each has a tiny basket of its own. Kitten name suggestions now being entertained, unisex preferred as they are too little for me to reliably tell what they are in terms of gender.

God bless you all, dear Shipmates

--------------------

Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

Goodnight Miss Molly,
The clouds have come in and are being shaded by the master's hand in wonderful shades of pink fading to lavender. We shall have rain tomorrow and my lawn will rejoice! The beauty of this world can stap nearly any activity (even driving down the road!) so I can rejoice. I hope you are enjoying your autumn. I rejoice in the visit with your folks. Boy, I'm just in a rejoicing mood! I thought of you today, when one of my managers came in, her name is Molly, and I rarely see her. She brought you to mind as I called out "Miss Molly!" she smiled. I did some rewriting on my Narnia story for a friend's website and know you would like it there. Maybe I will have to have a visitor come by.....

Miss_Molly

Toujours gai
Beloved
# 2339

Thank you Margaret, for the Israeli get-well card. I picked up my mail today enroute to the doctor's for my epoetin injection. I really enjoyed making the patient well by pulling down his temperature strip! I have been meaning, also, to send you and Troy my gratitude for your use of Reiki on my behalf. I know all these mental disciplines take a great deal of effort and drain energy from their practitioners; I really thank you.

Thank you Dolphy for the postcard of lovely Cambria. I am so glad your holiday was delightful as you are. I imagine Jessie, the part-Welsh wonder dog was ecstatic to be in ancestral territory.

And gratitude and "right back at ya" to Smudgie and Chukovsky for their good wishes sent by Margaret.

Dear friends, before I go to bed tonight, I will be standing in front of my prayer wall. I will say, "Oh Sacred Heart of Jesus, here I stand before you, my heart and all my dear ones safe in your Heart. May our pulses beat in accord with the great pulse of your love for us. Amen"

--------------------

Scot

Deck hand
# 2095

- Posted      Profile for Scot   Email Scot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Amen.

--------------------
“Here, we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.” - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 9515 | From: Southern California | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
multipara
Shipmate
# 2918

How about "Magnificat" as a suitably Godly handle for one of your pusses?

cheers,

m

--------------------
quod scripsi, scripsi

welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

Dear Miss Molly,

I am so glad that you have been feeling better. A triumph for bunny-power! Will say a few special bunny-prayers (the sort that hop about a lot and are rather fluffy and hopefully have effects that multiply...)

God Bless

Welsh Dragon

Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss Molly, I'm so glad the card's arrived - I didn't think it would be that quick!

I'm covered with guilt and confusion now because I forgot the Reiki yesterday evening (we had a dinner guest who arrived horribly early) but I'll redouble my efforts today! The nice thing is that the more I do it the easier it feels, and the more vividly I visualise it floating over Wales, Ireland, the Atlantic and most of the States to reach you in Salt Lake City.

dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dearest Molly,
I am so very glad that the postcard arrived so quickly! Jessie had the time of her life (as did we) and although she missed Brandy she did her best to wear us all out! She went crazy when we arrived at our little log cabin - tearing around like a puppy. We didn't bother to unpack so went straight down to the harbour where she headed straight into the sea. I threw some pebbles in the sea for you, as promised. The weather was so wonderful... the sun shone every day and the nights were starry and moonlit and so peaceful. We did a great deal of walking over the cliffs and down to our favourite hidden cove - as per usual, Jessie went mad! She raced around the beach and played in the waves and had a wonderful time.
She had a wonderful birthday too including a breakfast of bacon, eggs and toast - well you have to spoil them sometimes! She had some lovely pressies, including a very sweet card and some treats from Brandy.
When the time came to go home she refused to get into the car and has had a bit of a mood on her since we have been home. Little does she know we have booked to go back in March. I will send you some photos as soon as they have been developed.
Hugs and lots and lots of love from us all.
xxx

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

Dear Miss Molly, I'm afraid my cats owe you an apology - they forgot to mention who they were when they signed the card, and are very embarrassed to think that it looks as if they've been impersonating shipmates! They're actually a brother-and-sister team called Smudge and Katie - Smudge is the brother, huge, fluffy, not very bright but very loving, and Katie, the sister, is mostly white, intelligent, and rather brisk (but also very loving when she gets to know you). If they visited you, Smudge would rub himself round your ankles and then collapse on your feet, while Katie would size you up, decide you were a good cat person, and jump on to your lap.

I've got photos of them somewhere in the depths of this computer - I'll look for them and e-mail them to you.

Francesca Shelbellini
Shipmate
# 53

- Posted      Profile for Francesca Shelbellini     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Miss Molly,

You won't know me yet, I'm a devoted lurker but only occasional poster! But I have been reading forever and have a warm spot in my heart for you since the "Sophie Aubrey" days. Such a warm-hearted gentlewoman you are!

I also cheered mightily as you defended our sweetest, most precious friends, the cats. My all black (with white diamond on chest) kitty has been urging me to write for months and thank you for your valiant defense.

My cat Lilith is amusing me mightily lately. Until this past year, she was solely an indoor cat, and had become a little, shall we say, neurotic through living with me alone in a two bedroom apartment. (My sweetheart calls her "psycho-kitty" but he just doesn't understand her...) Last spring, I moved to a small house with a yard, far from traffic, and began letting her out under supervision. Since then, we have progressed to letting her be out all day long.

Now, it is fall, and the famous west coast rain is arriving, and she does NOT like it! Yesterday she went to the door, meowed for me to open it, I obeyed, she went out, turned around and came in, and meowed balefully at me for allowing it to rain! She is doing a good job chasing the squirrels that are stealing all my dear neighbour's walnuts and hazelnuts, and has never yet killed anything living (except for bugs which I heartily encourage...) She did chase a baby bunny around the yard last spring but they are horrendously harmful here (not indigenous) so I gave her indulgence...

She is a sweetheart with me and a bit of a devil with everyone else, I'm afraid. She carries on a continuing conversation with me and will follow me around like a little dog. But let someone else come in the house and watch out! My poor sweetheart has to deal with her hisses and swipes at him. She will even meow at him everytime he says something, as if to say, "Hey! Who asked you?" Every time he leaves, she happily snuggles up with me. Yay! He's finally gone! But soon enough, he arrives again, and she is extremely put out...Oh, you AGAIN!

I am very happy to hear about your sweet kittens. Do tell us what colour they are and what you name them...I also vote for "Magnificat" and would suggest "Tabitha" for the female...I have always wanted a calico named that...

You are daily in my prayers, although you haven't known it until now!

God bless you in your journey, and know that Christ is with you.

shalom,
michelle

Posts: 109 | From: vancouver, bc, canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miss_Molly

Toujours gai
Beloved
# 2339

Loving greetings to you all, dear shipmates.

I am feeling well today, but sleepy. I took a nap which stretched into a 4 hour snooze! But my recent distresses are over, and I actually ate the pork chop, potatoes, peas, and fried apples left from Sunday for tonight's supper.

This evening I am expecting two visitors. One is Deacon Libby, who is coming to bring me the Sacrament and take my picture for the parish directory. In the prior directory, done about 8 years ago, I was vain enough to leave my specs off. I wonder if this time, I am vain enough to leave my specs AND my oxygen tubing off!?

The other visitor is a lodge sister. In June, I was initiated into the Eastern Star, and this was very meaningful for me. Alas, the only meeting I have been able to attend is the one held for my initiation, but I am hoping to be able to be present next Tuesday evening. If I cannot be there, I will be able to follow the ritual at home, as Laura is bringing me my own book of the ceremonies. I have often wondered if I have any Eastern Star brothers or sisters on the Ship?

Multipara, I think Magnificat is a splendid name! You always come through, don't you?

Margaret, tell Smudge and Katie that of course they are my shipmates! You may be interested to know that when I told my mother, who is most religiously conservative, about your Reiki on my behalf, she not only did not turn a hair, but expressed her warmest gratitude to you and Troy. If there is any information you could send on this practice (easily accessible and not difficult to send, I mean), she and I would be very glad to read it.

Dolphy, I chuckled to hear of Jessie's escapades. I have whispered to her photo that you are going back again. How lovely of Brandy to give her a card and treats, but I am sure she also gives him wonderful gifts, the best of which is her love. Who protected Brandy against the awful cat down the street while Jessie was gone?

I am glad to meet you, my Canadian friend. I am glad you have enjoyed my posts. I wonder if you know about the "door into summer"? This is a concept that forms the title of a work by Robert A. Heinlein, a seminal science fiction author who also loved cats. He discovered that cats believe that there is always a door into good weather, and cannot understand why their humans persist in opening the one into rain or snow! Your companion reminds me very much of a cat my mother had, who used to guard her from my father. Because of various ailments, my mother has had to sleep alone for a good many years. This cat used to lie across the threshold of her room. When my father would come up to kiss my mother goodnight, she would run in and assume a protective position on her bed. I also remember a cat my sister had, Pumpkin by name, who during a romantic interlude between my sister and brother-in-law, decided he was hurting her human and bit him on the behind! This cat was a general enforcer, and I am afraid, an equal opportunity one. She particularly disliked raised voices. Once, my sister was recounting an episode at her work, and was speaking in a loud voice. A black and white streak appeared, and bit her smartly on the ankle to remind her of the rules!

--------------------

Miss_Molly

Toujours gai
Beloved
# 2339

The kittens are a pale gingerybrown and cream. I will call one Tabitha as you suggest, Michelle.

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
miss molly, i was rather stunned to see you mention "the door into summer" in your post above, as this is the second time today that i saw that book (which i read many years ago, and still recall fondly) mentioned in an on-line post. it makes me wonder, do you by any chance also read or post on another discussion board, one devoted to science fiction? if not, it is a most amazing example of synchronisity. if you can remember the name of the cat in that book (sadly i can't) prehaps that would be a good name for one of freddies foster kittens!

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Sebastian

Staggering ever onward
# 312

- Posted      Profile for St. Sebastian   Email St. Sebastian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Molly, if you need a ride to the Eastern Star meeting next week (or any time) let me know. Or anywhere else for that matter. I don't want you to come to associate me only with dr visits! [Wink]

--------------------
St. Seb

In Spite of Everything: Yes.

Posts: 962 | From: Burlington, North Carolina | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dearest Molly,

Brandy was protected while we were gone, fear not! In fact he mostly stayed home missing us dreadfully. The nasty viscious cat hasn't been seen around for a while - possibly something to do with the bucket of water that was thrown at him (I dread to confess!) I hope I have your forgiveness for picking on him but he really did deserve it!
I am glad that you have told Jessie that she is going back to Wales, she hasn't let on to us that she knows but she has a little smile on her furry face - I think it pleased her to hear it from you!
I will pm you very soon sweet Molly.
Take care and keep the strength up.
Much love from all here. xxx

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My grandmother was something official in the Order of the Eastern Star. She was so into it, and she and my grandfather spent so much time teaching and training that my father and uncle wouldn't have anything to do with any lodges. So I am not a participant.

Our family cat member (who is buried under a York stone slab in the back yard) also believed that we were responsible for opening doors into rain. She would turn away from the back door and go and check all the windows and the front door to see if she could find an entry to a dry sunny world. She was also a slasher and shrdder if she disappoved of anyone. grown men have been known to ask for my assistance to get up the stairs when she sat there, tiny and spitting at them. [Devil]

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nicolemrw:
miss molly, i was rather stunned to see you mention "the door into summer" ... if you can remember the name of the cat in that book (sadly i can't) prehaps that would be a good name for one of freddies foster kittens!

It was "Pete", short for Petronius I believe. Molly, are you a Heinlein fan? He had a lot of cats in his books, didn't he. Do you remember Pixel, the cat who could walk through walls?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

Oops, I also meant to say: Nicole, can you tell me the name of the sf discussion board?

And Molly, I meant to say your Dr Reilly sounds an absolute darling!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
pm'd you, sparrow.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

Miss Molly, there's a website about the Reiki tradition I learned here - especially the first section. And if you and your mother would like to know more specific things about it I can scan my course notes as text and send them to you - I think they make approximate sense, as I wrote them up right after the lectures!

I'm sorry I haven't sent you the cat photos yet - today has been a bit hectic and Smudge has had to go to the vet's to have a little lump on his nose removed, so he's feeling rather sorry for himself at the moment. But I promise to find them and e-mail them over the weekend.

Miss_Molly

Toujours gai
Beloved
# 2339

Loving salutations to all my shipmates, widely separated in space, but not in our hearts.

Ariel, the other day I forgot to mention my gratitude to you for your candles and bright coin, the signs of your continuing care for me. I am glad to think of you in the cathedrals and by the holy spring; I feel as though I have been there in a sense. These are places that have always lived in my imagination, and now your imagination and constant goodwill have brought me to them.

Welsh Dragon, your prayers are much appreciated. The rabbits are in plenty, and brisk and joyful about their work.

Nicole, I post nowhere else but here. That is amazing that a relatively obscure work of Heinlein's should be cited twice on message boards twice in one day.

Daisy May, if you are ever interested in yourself becoming a sister of the Eastern Star, you would qualify through your grandfather, as I did through mine. It might interest you to know, as I have the idea that you come from Scotland, that the Grand Lodge of Scotland governs all the lodges in the British Isles!

--------------------

Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

A couple of wonderful cat books, The Wild Road and The Golden Cat by Gabriel King. Reading about doors and cats, the Wild Road is about the roads that cats can take through our world. When you see cats that just seem to reappear, or disappear, they have just entered a doorway to the wild road and can travel anywhere on earth. A wonderful story of love (an ancient Egptian breed and a remarkable, hum, I can't quite remember what they called him) run away from a cat show together. They escape from the Alchemist because they are destined to have the Golden cat in their litter. A wonderful set of stories.
Miss_Molly

Toujours gai
Beloved
# 2339

Back again, dear friends.

Margaret, thanks for the link to Reiki.

Sparrow, yes, I am a fan of Robert A. Heinlein! He really delivers a rivetting tale, even when he is in a fascist mood. I started reading him as a teenager, even before his book, Stranger in a Strange Land, was a cult classic among us hippie types. (or would-he hippie, in my case. It's hard to run away to San Francisco when you are not allowed to go across town by yourself!) I remember Pixel fondly.

Lady A, I read the first book you mention, the Wild Road, but could never bear to re-read it or read its sequel because of the terrible dangers the cats undergo. I don't mind books where the human heroes undergo severe trials or even death, but cannot bear to have feline characters similarly in peril. You are right, though, it is a brilliant work.

I think it was you, Lady A, who mentioned you had heard that nurses make the worst patients. I suppose in a way we do. Would you like to hear the story of the night I almost died?

--------------------

Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now, I'm tantalised. I'm going to have to read Door Into Summer. I'm going to go later today, on my way to my grandson's football game, to search for this book in a couple of second hand book stores. They have mammoth amounts of SF. so I hope to be able to pick it up.

Stranger in a Strange Land was the first SF book I ever read. Loved it, but wasn't aware of the hippie fascination with it. I was a wannabe hippie, too. Not many real life ones in backwoods upstate South Carolina. [Roll Eyes]

Being one, I can truthfully say nurses can be extremely difficult patients. So please carry on, Miss Molly, with your story, if you desire to share.

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  18  19  20 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016