homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Glory   » Fields of Gold (Page 20)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fields of Gold
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Songbird, your first post made me cry [Tear] and your second post made me laugh, the thought of you even thinking "I should be able to lift her" and then 7 strong men were not sure they could!~ [Big Grin]

Rest assured, the calls, the msn messages, the posts and all communication I had with your sister imprinted her soul upon my life for aways. I am very sad she has to leave us so soon, but I rest knowing that for sure, she will be with our loving Lord who will lift her up into His arms and grant her much joy.

I bet she will dance around like a fairy princess and I bet she will laugh with happiness.

I wish I could hold your hand right now and give you a hug but believe you me, I am mentally doing that right now. Linda is very blessed to have a sister like you.

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
St. Sebastian

Staggering ever onward
# 312

- Posted      Profile for St. Sebastian   Email St. Sebastian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
strapping young paramedics!!? Molly, how could you? I was just there at lunch. You couldn't lunge for the floor then?? [Razz]

(Hey, this is how Molly and I have coped: black, inappropriate and irreverent humour).

--------------------
St. Seb

In Spite of Everything: Yes.

Posts: 962 | From: Burlington, North Carolina | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Songbird, how sweet of you to find time and energy to post here and keep us informed.
My prayers are with you, Linda, your Mom, and everyone else.

(St Seb, I've sent you a PM.)

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Songbird,
praying for you and your mother and molly. thanks for posting.

Molly,
Time to behave yourself! seven strapping young men! Seven!! ... but next question were they handsome as well?

Its very cold here in London, but no snow - yet. My winter jasmine is producing tiny buds and we've had a flock of tits out in the back yard. Since our cat died last spring, we have been a safe haven for blackbirds (who eat the snails I breed unwillingly) and a solitary hedge sparrow.

Sleep in peace.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Inanna

Ship's redhead
# 538

- Posted      Profile for Inanna   Email Inanna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Sebastian:
(Hey, this is how Molly and I have coped: black, inappropriate and irreverent humour).

I think it's perhaps the only way to cope with something like this.

I told Molly the story of the camp out vigil at the hospice which we did for when my partner's mother was dying of cancer. It was over Christmas/New Year ... and there was some recap of the year program on TV.

Terry and I were sitting in the room with her mom, who had slipped into a coma by then - but the nurses has stressed to us that she could probably still hear everything, and so on.

Sue, Terry's sister walks in, and catches sight of the TV, where Phyllis Shaffley (?sp) was speaking. And, in a loud voice, Sue remarks, "Isn't she dead yet?"

Terry and I cringe and then crack up laughing, while Sue, waiting for the ground to swallow her up, starts extracating herself. "I meant Phyllis Shaffley! Isn't Phyllis dead?" in the desparate hope that it'd reach her mom.

It was one of those black humour moments which we all cracked up laughing about after Terry's mom was dead. And even now, "Isn't she dead yet?" is guaranteed to get a reaction from any of the family...

--------------------
All shall be well
And all shall be well
And all manner of things shall be well.

Posts: 1495 | From: Royal Oak, MI | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aardvark
Shipmate
# 2295

- Posted      Profile for Aardvark   Email Aardvark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Songbird, praying very hard for you and Molly and your family. God will hold you all very close. I know he will.

--------------------
...a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?

Browning

Posts: 618 | From: just outside the M25 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just posting to say I'm with you in prayer.

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another tale of 'inappropriate' humor:

My father was killed when a commercial airline flight crashed on take-off in Detroit. My family went to the morgue (set up in a hanger) where they had laid out personal effects (keys, wallets, etc) to help identify the bodies. (The bodies were in a separate area.)

While we were waiting, my mother struck up a conversation with one of the workers and started grilling him "Are they taking good care of you? How are you doing? Are you sure this isn't affecting you?". This was so typical of my mother that all of us kids (five) started laughing and joking about it. Needless to say, we received a lot of dirty looks.

I hope that the 'seven strapping young men' were handsome and that Miss Molly had a moment of lucidity to appreciate the fact and chuckle about it.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DMarie

Ship's stray
# 2267

- Posted      Profile for DMarie   Email DMarie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You will embark on a fair sea,
and at times there will be fair weather, but not always.
You will meet storms and overcome them.
You will take it in turns to steer your boat through fair weather and foul. Never lose courage.
Safe harbour awaits you...in the end.
Daphne Du Maurer

I'd like to add my thanks, Songbird, for your updates. This must be so painful for you and your mother, my thoughts and prayers are with you all. I recently lost my mother and we were able to keep her at home til the end so I know how disorienting and frightening and unreal it can seem. I pray that God will give you strength and comfort and that Molly (Linda) will feel peace and know how much love is constantly being sent her way.

Posts: 163 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

- Posted      Profile for Willyburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Sebastian:
strapping young paramedics!!? Molly, how could you? I was just there at lunch. You couldn't lunge for the floor then?? [Razz]

I'm sure Molly didn't want you distracted. [Big Grin]

quote:
St. Seb, one thing that I know Molly appreciates is black humor. Some of the stories she told are real cringers.

Molly, we hold you in our hearts. As you leave this world for Home, hold us in your heart as well. Let go and rest in Him.

Molly, I will miss you. I treasure the chats we've had. I'm glad that in some small way, I've been able to be your friend.

Willy

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--
Why is it that every time I go out to buy bookshelves, I come home with more books?

Posts: 835 | From: Arizona, US | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Songbird - thank you for posting. It's so brave of you to do so in the circumstances - and I'm so glad that shipmates are rallying round in prayer and support for you all.

If you are lonely during the 'long watches of the night', remember that there is nearly always a shipmate around - post a 'Please help' on this thread to see who is here, PM them (get St Seb to show you how if he hasn't already) and then post on the thread to get them to read their PMs. Or just run a conversation on the thread - not normal but acceptable in these circumstances.

The time lapse means (I think) that SLC is 8 hours behind us in England - so 1:00 in the morning your time is 9:00 in the morning here. I shall certainly be around from that time Thursday and Friday and will sneak quick looks into the Ship from work.

May God be very close to you all through these difficult hours.

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Molly, dear Songbird, dear Mrs. Dillon, may you know the strength of God's love for you through this dark night. Be sure that you are in our prayers here--I'm speaking at the moment for me and the offspring and the menagerie. You were much in my thoughts this evening when our parish (or a handful of us) stood on the station platform and sang carols to the people on their way to Birmingham, Worcester, and stops between. It was cold, there was a gorgeous full moon, and most people looked at us as if it had somehow brought us out. But one lady, on her way to the pub she said, came and joined us and asked us to sing 'In the Bleak Midwinter', her favourite. Again I thought of you, especially as she recalled the words she loved to sing best--the verse where angels and archangels all were gathered there, cherubim and seraphim thronged the air. Molly, may the heavenly hosts surround you and all the great company of saints and angels enthrone you. Christ leads us through no darker room than He went through before, and so everywhere we go, everything we suffer, is touched and changed by his presence. Dear Molly, I have got to make up my bed now and sleep, because I've got to get up early. Good night, dear heart.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Viola
Administrator
# 20

- Posted      Profile for Viola   Email Viola   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Songbird, and Mrs Dillon. (what a strange salutation!)

Thank you so much for sparing the time to give us your updates on Molly's adventures. It's lovely to see that the same sense of humour pervades the whole family.

I'm sure you know by now that Miss Molly (or Linda to you!) has given more to this peculiar community than many people who've been around the ship an awful lot longer than she has.

May God give you both plenty of strength, rest and peace.

And do keep in touch when you're able. I hope the ship and Molly's computer will soon be familiar territory to you as well.

Every blessing,

Kate (Viola)

--------------------
"If ye love me, keep my commandments" John 14:15

"Commandment number one: shut the hell up." Erin Etheredge 1971-2010

Posts: 4345 | From: West of England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wandering with Hope
Shipmate
# 3431

- Posted      Profile for Wandering with Hope   Email Wandering with Hope   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Songbird - I'm so glad that you updated us. I certainly hope we have a chance to talk again. I'm sorry that you have to experience this but as you know we are all praying for you and your family. I recently watched my grandfather go through the stages of death and it becomes quite shocking (and yes - even frustrating). Many hugs and prayers sent your way. [Love]

St. Sebastian - Prayers to you for your strength and the strength you are giving Molly's family - please let us know if we can do anything - I know you know how to get up with Bessie if you should need anything at all (and I hope to meet you when you make your trip the end of this month). You are so wonderful for being such a great friend to Molly.

Posts: 113 | From: between the ocean and the mountains | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sean D
Cheery barman
# 2271

- Posted      Profile for Sean D   Author's homepage   Email Sean D   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
For those who don't know, a very long time ago (or so it seems) Molly said that she wanted to wait until the first snowfall before dying. So we are reading things into this weather report.

bb - thank you for explaining this to us. It is touching to know.

Seb - so glad to hear of the dark humour...

Praying for the Father of all mercies to hold you all so safely in the hollow of his hand.

--------------------
postpostevangelical
http://www.stmellitus.org/

Posts: 2126 | From: North and South Kensington | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Songbird
Apprentice
# 3803

- Posted      Profile for Songbird   Email Songbird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ahoy shipmates,

Just thought I'd give you one last quick update before shutting down for the evening...

Molly has been pretty out of it since the warrior band (err the paramedics - and yes some of them were nice looking - but St. Seb if you really want one I think is good looking I should introduce you to my ex-husband - now He was GOOD LOOKIN - I should have known better... tee hee)

The hospice workers should be arriving at any time to hook Molly up to automated pumps to deliver morphine and a drug to calm the halucinations... I am very gratful that I will not have to make those decisions regarding her care - I was willings... but after 3 days will little to no sleep - ya just get terrified you are going to do something wrong...

They are stopping all other treatments at this time... however I will have the option of increasing her dosage by just hitting a button - should I feel she isn't comfortable... I am also grateful for the advances of medicine that have an auto shut off - so again if sleep dep. takes over I can only up the dose so much in a 15 minute period and can not over medicate her either - again - a hugh relief [Snore]

We are hoping this will help her to rest (and us obviously) - but I fear her final rest is all too soon - but God's time is not mine... and my will must bend to His (but usually His alone as my husband can attest)

It's that bittersweet time - when the end is too soon and too far all at the same time...

We will watch and wait - and love her always

Thanks for your posts - they were very touching

and to dolphy - i'd love to check my pm - if I had the least clue how to do that...

I told St. Seb (that little cutie) that I've never been in a chat room - I have played some games with some wonderful Christian folks - and had a great time - but never just a conversation without playing around!

Blessings!

--------------------
Songbird - singing from the heart

Posts: 4 | From: not the end of the world... but you can see it from here | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sean D:
quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
For those who don't know, a very long time ago (or so it seems) Molly said that she wanted to wait until the first snowfall before dying. So we are reading things into this weather report.

bb - thank you for explaining this to us. It is touching to know.
She said she thought of her death would be like a train journey which she would begin on a moonlit night after the first snowfall. She gave a much nicer description than that. She drew a wonderful word-picture.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dearest Miss Molly, I kiss the words that I type. The Lord enfold you in His love.

Songbird and Mrs Dillon - may you shelter under the shadow of His wing, and find security.

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Viola
Administrator
# 20

- Posted      Profile for Viola   Email Viola   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Friendly local admin / busybody checking in ...

Songbird - to check your pm (private message), go up the page, until, right at the top you see 'My Profile' (almost under the button saying 'New Topic').

Click on this, and it will take you through to a page where any private messages you may have received, will be waiting for you.

You can also alter your profile from here (by clicking on 'View/ update profile'. One of the options in your profile is for you to get e-mail notification when you have a private message. This last, of course, may well be too much faffing around for you to bother with right now!

All best wishes,

K.

--------------------
"If ye love me, keep my commandments" John 14:15

"Commandment number one: shut the hell up." Erin Etheredge 1971-2010

Posts: 4345 | From: West of England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Songbird, it is so good of you to log on and keep us updated.

St. Seb, you're a saint -- but you knew that.

The cats and I are keeping a quiet vigil for our dear Molly, praying for a quiet passage and a healing at the end.

Rossweisse // hoping for ease for all

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Songbird,
How lovely of you to join our pleasant little band. We're glad to have you aboard and hope that you keep 'sailing' with us! We do pray for you and Mother daily.

Dear Seb,
We send you prayers for good health, too. Mother knows you are in pain.I send this prayer for you, Songbird and Mother Dillon.

Oh, God, early in the morning I cry to you.
Help me to pray and to concentrate my thoughts on you.
I cannot do this alone
In me there is darkness,
but with you there is light.
I am lonely, but you do not leave me,
I am feeble in heart, but with you there is help,
I am restless, but with you there is peace.
In me there is bitterness, but with you, patience.
I do not understand your ways, but you know the way for me.

Restore me to liberty,
and enable me so to live now
that I may answer before you and before humanity.
Lord, whatever this day may bring,
Your name be praised.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

I send this with love and hugs (of the virtual variety, since I can't be there to do it in person)

May God, the Good Shepherd take our sister to her heavenly home - a place of rest and comfort.
In Jesus name. AMEN.

Motherboard

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Sebastian

Staggering ever onward
# 312

- Posted      Profile for St. Sebastian   Email St. Sebastian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just talked to Songbird and Miss Molly is expected to depart for Home before the night is over. She's calm and peaceful but her breathing is gradually slowing; she's at about 12 breaths a minute right now. [Tear]

--------------------
St. Seb

Posts: 962 | From: Burlington, North Carolina | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My the souls of the faithful departed rest in peace, and light perpetual shine upone them.
Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Equinas
Shipmate
# 2907

- Posted      Profile for Equinas     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Songbird, Mrs. Dillon and St. Seb, prayers ascending for your peace and the comforting of your sorrows. Praying also for the peaceful ascent to glory of your dear sister, daughter and friend. What a treasure we have on this thread of her faith, thoughts, stories and humor. Godspeed, Miss Molly.

--------------------
Linda

Posts: 567 | From: Deep South, USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
St. Sebastian

Staggering ever onward
# 312

Miss Molly has gone Home, everyone.

--------------------
St. Seb

Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We will miss you, Molly. Godspeed. [Tear]

[ 27. May 2003, 01:57: Message edited by: Erin ]

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  17  18  19  20 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016