homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Glory   » Fields of Gold (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  18  19  20 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fields of Gold
Francesca Shelbellini
Shipmate
# 53

- Posted      Profile for Francesca Shelbellini     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Miss Molly,

It is the Thanksgiving long weekend here in Canada, and on the West Coast, it is beautiful. Sunny and crisp autumn weather, blue sky, yellow and orange and red leaves, squirrels scampering in front of my window (stealing my neighbour's hazelnuts and walnuts before they can get them!), and my cat Lilith wanting in, out, in, out, as cats are wont to do...

I hope you are having a beautiful fall where you are...the dying of the year induces in me a more reflective mood.

Thank you so much for sharing your most sacred story with us. It is truly a gift and a blessing. Your self-awareness and your intentionality about living your life every day, is inspiring. And your faithfulness and trust in God, and in the adventure that is before you, is moving and a true witness to the faith.

Lilith sends a meow and warm, purry hugs.

shalom, michelle

Posts: 109 | From: vancouver, bc, canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss Molly,

just wanted to say how nice it was to finally speak to you yesterday and I hope I didn't wake you - I know you're too polite to say.

I foolishly left my washing out while I went to the Museum Tavern meet, and, lo and behold, it did rain and it was sopping wet when I got home but I was too tired to bring it in. So it was even wetter this morning. But it's cold enough to put the heating on (actually I put it on in September because I had a temporary lodger from Kenya who was feeling the cold, poor love) so it can dry inside happily.

It was pouring again this morning when I went to yoga class but nice later on.

k

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bronwyn
Shipmate
# 52

- Posted      Profile for Bronwyn   Email Bronwyn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well Miss Molly, every day the house looks bearer, and people come, take all of our things away. I can not believe in a few days we will be flying. I have Sean's parents down for the weekend but they bought a camper two years ago and as a result would prefer to sleep in it rather than here.
Really missing having MSN and can't even chat in either cafe, so the puter is rather harder to manage than usual. It will be going itself tomorrow or Monday. I will have contact in Pakistan but do not know what access is like ie pricing and do not want to spend all time on.
I feel so worn down at the momment, having been ill and stress. Still soon it will be all done.
It has to be done soon.
Hope you are keeping ok, please take care,
Bronwyn
(need to stop now as I write all I see below is the projectile smilie, which is how I feel right now)

--------------------
Fragile X syndrome is part of our lives. Someone I love makes me proud who has this syndrome. I love you Miriam.

Posts: 1221 | From: Melbourne (Australia) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Miss Molly,
Have been reading Little Saint (from a thread here!) and was entranced on reading about the west tympanum (the sculpture scene over the door to the church) and was charmed to hear about a rabbit. He is in hell, but his job is to spit and roast the 'wicked hunter'! I had visions of your bunnies sitting and roasting cancer cells over the fire. I can see them now, chattering away, a carrot or two being munched gleefully as they spit and turn every cell collected and brought in....!

Does it seem to you that once you've been to the doctor that a wave just takes over and before long you are doing these things that you said before you would never let anyone do that to you? Almost like a giant machine that once you enter, it is very hard to exit. Like you are saying about the 'not to resusitate' order. Hard for someone who's not been there to judge. I love your composure, and also your will to fight for as much as you can get.
Love you, prayers for the fighters,
Lady A

Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Miss_Molly

Toujours gai
Beloved
# 2339

- Posted      Profile for Miss_Molly   Email Miss_Molly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*adjusting new wig and lacey cap over her horns; no matter how she files them down they grow out new overnight*

Dear Marmot, I might have known you had thoughts to spare for me even in your rush.

Thank you all for descriptions of weather and feline activities in your respective neighborhoods. It is like being there with you, and like travelling for someone who spends all too much time sitting down.

Bronwyn, my prayers continue with you. Please rest as much as you can.

This is my thousandth post, dear shipmates! I wondered several times if I would see this day.

I regret to say, I am too tired just now to launch into the account of my ICU stay, as it really has no convenient stopping place and will have to be told in one long post.

Lady A, you are right about letting the doctors get hold of you! (Apologies to dear Welsh Dragon and to Multipara) Having been a nurse for so many years, I realized the truth of a metaphor I once read: letting the doctors examine you is like letting a mechanic under the hood of your car. In other words, you may be in for a long "service", and one thing will lead to another, until finally the fuel filter replacement has led into lowering a new engine block!

Accordingly, I was always one of those nurses who never saw a doctor. The other kind are always up on their recommended exams, etc. Please know this was not the advice I gave my patients, just my own method. I always joked they would only see me unconscious and strapped to a gurney. As my readers know, that was not so far away!

And I always swore I would never have chemo, etc., but just go ahead and die. However, it is apparent to everyone that all the tests I underwent were for the purpose of determining what chemo might work. I knew perfectly well surgery was not an option as my lungs would have looked like Swiss cheese when the operation was done. As for radiation, in the famous VietNam metaphor, we would have to burn the village to save it.

A close friend asked me today why I had chosen to accept the risks of chemotherapy. I told her I chose to fight because I felt my mother would wish it. She and my father would not want me to give up. I also had a hope that I might be able to live and enjoy a few pleasures I did not have while I was a wage slave. I wanted to attend the Colorado meet, and I hoped to travel to my father's Marine Corps reunion with him. As it turned out, travelling is not possible for me. I still am willing to fight a while longer however, because I have a few things I think of as my job. When I feel I have done them I will let go.

When it comes time, I will "put out the fire and call in the dogs." Until then, or until death falls to me because it is more than time, I am

your loving shipmate,

Linda Marie Dillon RN

--------------------
"I come from a state that raises corn, and cockleburrs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me"

Congressman Willard Duncan Vandiver at a naval banquet in Philadelphia, 1899

Posts: 1242 | From: home | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss Molly -

Fearless is lying on my lap beneath the keyboard all snuggled up, warm and purring. I'm sure she is surrepticiously purring messages to you somehow - since you have acknowledged receiving some from her. [Smile]

It has been a wonderful weekend at church. Our bishop came to help us celebrate the 10th anniversary of the parish. There were 6 priests, the bishop, many deacons and readers; lots of tat, incense, pomp, ritual and reverence during the liturgy this morning. It was without a doubt the most Orthodox thing I've experienced yet! [Happy]
I felt as if I was in Heaven. And in a way, the Orthodox believe that - that we are sharing the liturgy with all the saints and it is a timeless and placeless experience and that Heaven is with us. This is some of the significance of the icons - to visualize the saints, the apostles, Jesus, Mary, and the angels who are amongst us.

God is so good to us, isn't He? He has brought me to a home where I can find Him while I'm stranded on this earth. And then at His pleasure, He will take me to my true and everlasting home. I am beginning not to mind thinking about that, Molly.

There's an old song my Dad liked - "there is no secret what God can do, what He's done for others, He'll do for you" - I have a friend who has been living with AIDS for quite a long time. He has always accepted his diagnosis with trust and faith in God. He likes to say "Heaven is just a blink away". I think I see this loving acceptance in you, too, Molly.

I pray that when it is time to "call in the dogs and put out the fire" that just one more blink, and you'll see Heaven, Jesus, the Saints and angels just that easily and gently.

We love you, Fearless and I.
Bess [Heart]

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello Miss Molly,

It haas been a wet and blustery day in Oxford. Autumn is one of my favourite times of year here, term started on the 13th ie yesterday, so the streets are full of new students, away from home for the first time, embarked on one of the biggest ventures of their lives. I think the air is charged with dreams and hopes and fears.

There is something very comforting too about warm scones and toasted crumpets when the weather outside is so chill.

If you paid a visit of the imagination from the states we would go for a long walk down streets of honey coloured stone and over cobbles. We would wander into a pub that shyly hides from view down a tiny medieval entrance - and out again via a different and equally hidden alley. We might watch the autumn leaves fall into the river over Magdalen Bridge or go for a walk through parkland where deer graze, having passed the rooms where CSLewis worked and taught and wrote. We might even see a contingent of rabbits, bounding with energy along the grass.

And we could have tea in the Randolph Hotel, all funny turrets and gothic arches, and enjoy the plush and chintzy comfort and look out at the energetically damp shoppers and their umbrellas and talk about life and love and the Southern harmony and the quality of jam and books and studying old languages and different faith traditions.

Well, we talk about all those things anyway, but in my minds eye now you are sitting on a comfy, red velvet sofa with your feet on a foot stool and I am ensconced in an enormous matching armchair with slightly rococco curlicues at the arms.

Even if you can't travel physically, there is always the imagination isn't there. Come and have a sojourn in Oxford for a few sentences.

Yours with insomnia

Welsh Dragon

Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
PaulC

Ship's Lego nut
# 2256

- Posted      Profile for PaulC   Author's homepage   Email PaulC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dearest Molly, I am certain that you travelled in spirit with me too when I visited St. Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin on Saturday morning, it is, I think, quite the loveliest cathedral I have ever been to.

I was a little unsure about spending the weekend in Ireland at such short notice, but after the kind invitation from Cliona, the sudden disappearance of the work I was supposed to be doing, and the exhortations from you and Sophs, God nudged my heart about it too! As I told Cliona: "I'm on a mission from God"! (hee hee, I've always wanted to say that!) [Cool]

So thank you Molly, for you are at least partly to blame for my first introduction to the Fair City. I would also like to thank you for the wonderful accounts of your recent trials and tribulations. These are details that I dearly wanted to hear. I am eagerly looking forward to the next installment, or as I like to think of it it: "Dillon Trek 3: The Search For The Meta-Nasties"!

Posts: 511 | From: deepest darkest Essex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Dear Molly
I thought of you over this weekend, when i went to witby, and lit a candle in a lovely old church, with no electric lighting or central heating, just and old stove and lots and lots of candles. It was beautiful, i wish you could have seen it, i'm sure you would like witby, and all the ledgends...i scared my sister by tellilng her that the Hell Hound would get her if she walked out of the Youth Hostel, and she wouldn't go for the walk with us!
It was lovely!
Love hugs and many many many prayers,
sophs [Sunny]

Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Molly,

well I have to say that Beethoven and I had a wonderful time in Oxford on Saturday. the only downside was that time passed all to quickly. We had a wonderful lunch in the Turf Tavern - we both had cheese and roasted vegetable baguettes, with salad and fries. Beets even ate a lettuce leaf to prove a point! I had two glasses of dry white wine and Beets had fizzy water with ice and a slice since she was driving. I got there first and waited patiently, full of jittery nerves, for her to arrive... we knew each other instantly! We have sent you a postcard as promised. We talked and laughed and talked - mostly about other Shipmates (which was fun!!!!) and also about things in general - was much nicer to chat face to face than on MSN.
So, it really was a wonderful day!

I am off to Exeter tomorrow but hope to catch you online real soon.
until then, all our love and hugs and purrs and waggy tails,
The Dolphy Clan. xxx

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear M.M.:

Since you are Nurse Dillon, it is only fitting that you have at least one Mr. Kitty. [Big Grin]

Would you like another couple of bunnies? We've raised them for food from time to time. To equip our now-grown daughter for the time of slaughter, we made sure she knew as a pre-schooler that we enjoyed rabbits, but that we would be enjoying them on the supper table, too.

Jess was given a rabbit to be her special pet, one we would never eat. He was a large mixed-breed white fellow with black ears and splotches. She named him "Food".

Much later... Jess must've been nearing 18 years, and again we were raising rabbit fryers. (One mamma bunny can put 300 pounds of digestible, low-fat meat on the table each year.)

Due to bad weather (and bad planning on my part), we had several fryers ready to process, but kept them awhile longer. Since they were old enough after that for breeding, they did. (They were rabbits, of course they did!)

Being housed together in one large cage (not ideal nesting conditions), and being disturbed by the bad weather, they eventually produced only a couple of kittens. (Did you know baby bunnies were 'kittens'?)

These shared kits received motherly attentions from all the lactating females. They grew abnormally quickly and hugely roly-poly fat.

Seriously, the one we named "Michael Jackson" was perfectly round, except for 4 little feet sticking out of his pudginess. He literally rolled around the pen, only a little larger than a tennis ball. (We called him Michael Jackson because he started out black but we were not sure he would stay that way. [Big Grin] )

After we'd kept them all that time, through several catastrophes, we didn't want to eat them. Michael Jackson and his harem of mothers were sold off as pets and breeders.

My husband enjoyed Fred, a breeding buck from the years between Food and Michael Jackson. Fred was a mixed-breed bunny, natural-wild-rabbit-colored. He was a very efficient and enthusiastic stud, complete with squealing sound effects. He always sired large litters, such as a 15-kit one with a purebred Flemmish Giant female twice his size.

It's fun to tour memory & find these rabbits again. They served us well and taught us much about life & death & service & responsibility.

Food, Fred and Michael Jackson were very special, and I hope you can use them in your visualized Chewing Bunny Wellness Clinic.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Miss Molly,

Just call me Mailman Ham [Roll Eyes]

quote:

Skimmit, Sidle & Dash
Solicitors, Commisioners for Oaths, Baliffs
12 Sea-Dumpling Lane, London, EC.

11 October 2002

RE: Inv. in bhlf yur clt Msr B. Ocean.

Dear Sir,

I have received further information in this matter.

The baby was in good health, and warmly attired, with the exception of the absence of one large handsomely embroidered bootee. Inscribed on the brown paper parcel was a smudgey address.

Please note the statement of expenditure will reference disbursements in respect of a considerable quantity of gin (the specific lubricant in this case).

I remain Sir, your obsequient servant,

Eustace Sidle, BA(London. Well sort of...)

Mr. Hashem Djaroueh
c/o Djaroueh Imports/Exports Intnl,
Pikine Road Mkt, Fass, Dakar
SENEGAL

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Miss Molly, I'm back from Cornwall, so your Reiki is arriving from the usual angle again! My friends live in St Just, almost at Land's End, and it's the most extraordinary place, not really part of England at all, but one of the Celtic lands. Everything's built out of the local granite, and all the churches are dedicated to Cornish saints - St Buryan, St Sennan, St Levan, St Ia, and so on. The parish church of St Ives is St Ia's church, and it has a huge candle stand where I lit a candle for you.

Quite apart from taking me round mediaeval churches, prehistoric stone circles, and Celtic wayside crosses, and feeding me lots of food, my friends introduced me to their two cats, ginger Twinkle and black and white Charlie, and they join Smudge and Katie in sending you purrs.

Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miss_Molly

Toujours gai
Beloved
# 2339

- Posted      Profile for Miss_Molly   Email Miss_Molly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Shipmates, I am sorry I did not post earlier. I was being slothful, dozing in my chair. Indeed, so comfortable is the chair that I did not wake up until around 4 PM today (UK time).

How wonderful to read all your messages!

Dear Bride of fragrant roses, indeed at all times we are surrounded by a "cloud of witnesses" as the Apostle says. When I receive the Sacrament in church, I take all my friends to the Altar rail in my heart, and I know that all my dear ones, living and dead, are with me in that moment of meeting the Lord. The icons and architecture of Orthodox churches are wonderful in reinforcing the truth that all of us are together before the Lord, and that the Kingdom of Heaven is already among us.

Yes, Bessie, Fearless sends me messages of love and encouragement often. Indeed, dear friends, I receive messages from Brandy and Jessie as well. Thank you, Janine, for the addition to my rabbit herd! As I am having pain more frequently (but still nothing the dear rabbit allies cannot handle), they are most welcome.

Dear Dragon, I went with you on the tour of Oxford on which you so kindly invited me to accompany you. How lovely your city is.

Sophs, my hobbit cousin, thank you for taking me to Whitby, and thank you for your loving thoughts in the old church. I did not know about the Hell Hound; I only remembered Whitby as being the English landing point of a certain evilly charming and bloodthirsty Count!

Margaret, dear friend, I am glad you had a good time. Whatever angle your Reiki comes from, it is strengthening and received with gratitude.

My dearest cetacean, thanks for your account of your meeting with Beets. What point was she trying to prove by eating a lettuce leaf? And what did you eventually buy for Baby B? And now the Oxford constabulary can relax until the next time you two arrive.

Paul, how glad I am you went to Dublin for dear Cliona's birthday. Thank you for going to St Patrick's for me. I am glad you thought it beautiful! It is a favorite place of mine, not least for the memories of Dean Swift. I laughed at your title for my hospital stay! You always cheer me up, dear Thunderbird One.

Dear mother of several children, and most excellent physician, I want to apologize for a grammatical error! The adjective "dear" in my last post was meant as a modifier to both your name and our draconian doctor's!

And good Lady A., gratitude as always for your thoughtful post.

Now on to the serial! (Everybody got her/his popcorn or jujubes? No one is allowed back into the theater once the feature begins!)

The curtains slither back and the screen shows a recumbent form well known to us all...

Dr Reid and his team are discovering that Molly is an uncooperative patient even under sedation. He has bronchoscoped her, but no cancer is available for sampling, so he has proceeded to make the little incisions and insert his instruments. Managing to remove the lower lobe of her right lung, to obtain a sample that will surely be large enough for anything, and which will not be missed as it is totally non-functional due to fluid and tumor burden, he then drains her lung of two and a half liters of liquid. Together with the half-liter removed by puncture previously, this makes 3 liters produced by Miss Molly's pulmonary still.

While waiting for the pathologist to say whether the lung sample will be adequate for his divinations, Dr Reid attempts to peel back the pleural membrane in order to carry out his plan to paint the lung with talcum. Of course, Miss Molly's membrane is resistant, just like its owner, but he perseveres, and succeeds in exposing most of her lung, though not as much as he would like, to his beneficent artistry. The report comes back; the pathologist feels he has enough tissue! By the way, I was never able to positively confirm the rumor that Etruscan books are part of a pathologist's medical library.

Since the pathologist is satisfied, Dr Reid turns his attention to placing a chest tube to drain the lung and keep it from collapsing in the post-surgical period. With her typical inimitable balkiness, Miss Molly has a lung in which he cannot get the chest tube to the apex. Consequently, as he wearily recounts in his op report, he placed the tube in the "best possible position" he could, closed the two smaller wounds and dressed the chest tube site.

Miss Molly is taken to the recovery room....

There, as soon as I was conscious, I demonstrated that although I couldn't see (my eyes still being covered with pads), my proprioceptors were in fine fettle! Despite the anesthesiologist's feeling that I would be too sedated to care about the ventilator tubing in my throat (and too groggy to do anything about it), with remarkable speed and strength, despite cries all around me of "No! No!" , I yanked that tube, and sat up. I remember telling them, "I can breathe!", and hearing Dr Reid ask, "can she?", to which the anesthesiologist replied "she's at eighty percent", this being a level of oxygen that cannot be supplied other than by intubation.

Bless his heart, Dr Reid at least inquired, in case there was a chance I could continue without the tube he knew I dreaded. But, since there was no way I could manage, I was intubated again, which was a matter of great skill. If they had not been able to re-introduce the ventilator tubing, I would have died.

This time they made sure I was well under! Indeed, I knew nothing until the next morning, when I woke up to find my hands tied tightly against the bed rails. I heard later that they had tried everything, but I continued to attempt to extubate myself, so reluctantly, they had to place me in bondage.

Discovering that my hands were tied, I carefully moved all my fingers to make sure they still functioned. Then I thought, " I wonder if my feet are tied, too?" I was glad to find that my feet and legs were still mobile, and did a bit of range of motion with them.

The nurses had come in earlier and given me a bath, but since then I had been on my back, a position I do not tolerate well. I wanted, with a desperate yearning, to communicate my desire to be turned on my side. I tried tapping on my bed rail, but this was not noticed. Of course, the nurses had all my vital functions on monitors, so if anything had been seriously wrong, they would have been there immediately, but my tapping on the rail just didn't set off any alarms.

The tube was irritating, despite medication, and so I coughed. This did set off an alarm, and the nurses were very quickly there, offering to suction me or to give me pain medication. In fact, they did both, but I still could not communicate my need to be turned. With my hands tied, I could not gesture effectively, you see. They could not tell what might pointing finger might mean, and assumed I was pointing to the tube and wishing to be suctioned.

I felt pretty desperate, but the pain medication sent me under again. When I swam up from the depths again, I found I could breathe against the vent, and proceeded to do so. This is known as "bucking the vent" and is a sign to the medical and nursing staff that you are recovering. I heard them say, "she is doing most of the work herself", and put my best efforts into breathing, hoping, in a very groggy way, that they would see it and remove the tube.

A little later, they told me, "we'll be able to take the tube out pretty soon!" I wondered how soon this would be, as I was feeling more and more desperate to turn and to have my ability to swallow back. I really felt, if they did not hurry up, I would not be able to behave with dignity much longer, would not be able to lie quietly, but would start thrashing in the bed. Dimly, I knew this would not be a good idea. Indeed, they would have given me anti-agitation medicine and more morphine probably, which would likely have meant a continuation of the tubing I so hated.

After an interval that seemed eternal, but was only a few hours, they stopped the ventilator machine to let me breathe totally on my own. The tubing was still down my throat, but I could swallow! My faithful readers will remember how important this is to me, and how I fear choking. I still could not speak, and I could not turn, but at least I felt I would not choke.

Finally, the moment I had not really dared to hope for arrived, and someone pulled the tubing out of my throat. It was uncertain whether I would be able to speak for a while, as I had "blown" my vocal cords by extubating myself. I am sure no one will be surprised to discover that I managed to command "untie my hands". Once this demand had been complied with, I said "let me sit up", and then "let me get up to the chair."

My nurse, bless her, permitted me to walk the six or eight feet to the chair and allowed me to sit up the rest of the afternoon and most of the night. How much better I felt, with my back eased! Finally, though, she had to tell me I must go back to bed, as my head kept drooping forward, cutting off my airway, and decreasing the oxygen in my bloodstream.

Tomorrow--I escape from the ICU!

--------------------
"I come from a state that raises corn, and cockleburrs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me"

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
dear miss molly, thank you for your expression of sympathy on the thread about my fathers death. since i'm not sure how much of the ship you have the time or strength to read, i'm going to repete here what i posted to you there, amplified a bit.

my father always was a big fan of archie and mehitable, so much so that my brother and i both mentioned it when we were speaking at the funeral. and my brother ended his remarks with "toujours gai". i had forgotten that you were also a fan, though now that i've been reminded, i do believe in fact we once exchanged a few posts on the subject in heaven.

my fathers death has reminded me that death is by no means the worst thing that can happen to one. i am certain that my father is much happier and better off where he is now than what he had been going through for the last few years. i still pray that by some miracle you can be restored to health, but if that is not to be, than i know theres something better waiting at the end of the pain. and if you should happen to run into my dad at some celestial archie and mehitable fan convention or something, please pass on my love to him. (we really need a "smiling through tears" smilie, please imagin one inserted here)

one of the nurses from my father nursing home came to the viewing, so i am feeling quite warm and fuzzy towards nurses in general right now, so please accept my thanks on behalf of your wonderful and caring profession.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's been a wet day in Oxfordshire, but it cleared up towards the end. Late afternoon sun slanted across recently harvested autumn fields with rolls of pale gold straw looking like nothing so much as a giant's breakfast cereal. The leafy green hedges are thick with brambles laden with blackberries, and indeed the trees I've seen from the train all seem to have rather a lot of berries: small dark purple elder, scarlet rowan, crimson hawthorn, which they say is the sign of a cold winter to come. The leaves are only now beginning to change colour, and will be glorious in about 10 days from now. A huge flock of birds, easily about 50, wheeled and circled over the treetops at one point, probably getting ready to fly south for the winter. Others perched in treetops, silhouetted black against the early evening sky. In a nearby field, a pheasant had stopped to watch the train pass, standing staring motionless. The odd thing was that it was in exactly the same position when I had passed by some hours earlier. If it's still there tomorrow, I'll know for certain that it's stuffed.

Wishing you peace and calm and freedom from discomfort and tiredness ... sleep well and take whatever time you need. We will continue to be here for you, each of us in our own way. Peace and blessings, Molly.

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey Paul, I have been to the St. Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin, Ireland too! [Big Grin] . ..back in April 2000. Lovely place. There is a gold plaque in there with one of my favorite verses, Psalm 119:25.

Here is a picture of me out in front taken by my sister for you Miss Molly. This is mainly so you can enjoy the view of the church. My sister managed to move too much to the left and was too far back to even get me very well, let alone the church...this picture does not do it any justice but you get the idea. [Wink]

duchess at St Patricks

(fixed picture link)

[ 15. October 2002, 01:15: Message edited by: Motherboard ]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Psalm 119:25 not 199! Argh...didn't mean to add to Scripture! [Frown]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮

Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Scripture, all fixed, Duchess!

Love and saintly hugs,

Motherboard [Heart] [Angel]

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Miss Molly, someone is working overtime:

quote:

Skimmit, Sidle & Dash
Solicitors, Commisioners for Oaths, Bespoke Cat-Furriers

12 October 2002

RE: Inf en behoof yr clint Mast Blooshun

Dear Sir,

Our agent has obtained the following futher information:

quote:

Mister Sidle, like what you said, I axed ver lady ergain, but she were a right tata. On leaving the premisees (with hed held hi an feet held highyer), the grdener lyured mi inter his shed, an filled me in (itterl costyer!) He sed that ther niyt vat Blew was left, he saw what gone on, an he follered them wot left im, an it were a wiman onner skaitbord! An she got onter the Eyler White Fairy!

I remain Sir, your obsequient servant,

Eustace Sidle, BA(Brixton)

Mr. Hashem Djaroueh
c/o Djaroueh Imports/Exports Intnl,
Pikine Road Mkt, Fass, Dakar
SENEGAL

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Molly, I hope you don't mind me taking refuge in your thread whilst I recover from 20 minutes of sweat-inducing terror in Quizmaster's knockout quiz. [Wink] I tried your tip, didn't work for me. However, a quick trip onto another board yielded the necessary info first go! [Big Grin]

So glad to hear that the cd arrived safely.

Must plunge out into the wild and windy morning now.

Miffy [Smile]

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miss_Molly

Toujours gai
Beloved
# 2339

Hello again, dear shipmates!

Nicole, how kind of you to post while you are still in the first days of your grief. My prayers continue with you and your family. Even when we are sure death is not the end, and that it is a door out of a lesser existence than we would wish for our relatives, it is still so hard to part.

Ariel, thank you for the emailed photos, and thank you for the lovely description of an autumn countryside. I was amused at the "giant's breakfast cereal", simile. When my mother and I had occasion to travel across grain country, we always called the cylindrical bales "shredded wheats".

Your Grace, I loved the photo. It brought back many happy memories of my times in Baile Atha Cliath.

Ham and Eggs, I have warned a certain skateboarding lady that she might wish to fee a solicitor. She denies everything, of course.

And now our feature entertainment!

The next morning I got up at the first possible instant. My kind nurse gave me a bath, all except the private bits which I did myself. Then we waited for Dr Reid to show up on his round.

He came in to see me and recounted how I had pulled my tube. I reminded him that I had warned him I would. He laughed! I asked if I could please be off my breathing mask and on nasal oxygen, and he agreed I could try. If things went well, I might even be able to leave the ICU that day.

I immediately applied myself to making things go well. I held down breakfast (liquid) and asked for a regular lunch, which I also held down. They were able to stop my drip, since I was eating and drinking. I asked them to leave the line into my subclavian vein, as I knew this would be likely to last through antibiotics or any other plans the doctors might have, but they insisted on pulling it out, leaving only an IV in my right arm.

Then I told them I would like to walk, and succeeded in walking from my room a brief distance into the hall. After this, I collapsed into bed to await developments.

I must mention that Moo's brother-in-law's Lutheran pastor was wonderful during these days. He came to see me before surgery and in the ICU. I was grateful to have an old-line minister. I did not need someone to talk to me about the "white light of peace and serenity" or what I should do to comfort my inner child. I needed someone to tell me about Jesus! This man did, relating to me the feeding of the five thousand as an example of our Lord's intimate concern for the bodies he made.

That afternoon, I was told I would be moved up to the eighth floor again. My parents had told me before surgery that they would be here on this day as well, another reason I was trying so hard to leave the ICU. (I felt it would distress my parents to see me there.) I had begged them not to come, as it is a long journey and they are elderly, but they insisted. They wanted to see for themselves how I was. Hearing accounts from others, such as good Deacon Libbie, who was designated as the person to whom the surgeon should speak after my operation, was just not informative or reassuring enough when it came to their eldest baby.

So, I was packed up and my friend Marian helped take me to my new room. This was known as the "mousehole" because it was the smallest room on the ward. We had only been there a few minutes when my dear father and mother walked in. I still did not have much of a whisper, so we did not talk much, but I believe they knew how glad I was to see them.

Marian had to go, but Libbie appeared, and she and my father offered prayers for me. I was much touched at my father's plea that I might be healed, and his closing statement, "but you know in all things she desires to do your will." An amazing statement since I was a more than usually rebellious child.

They all saw I was very weary, so our good Deacon took her leave. My mother sat down at my bedside, took my hand and hummed Cielito Lindo to me. I could just rest, knowing she was there, and drift on the music. It really was a gentle, loving gift to me, a gift she had learned to offer during her father's final illnesses.

Now I will say goodnight from my end of the world, hoping each of you has a good day, and someone gentle in your life.

--------------------

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

Miss Molly. You never fail to cheer me up, especially your "I don't need to hear about a white light and inner child, I wanna hear about Jesus!" I laughed out loud at work just now.

I am glad I reminded you of a place I can not pronouce but I gather it is in Ireland?

Dang it, I feel selfish, I want you to stay HERE Miss Molly, on the Mothership, not going up up to the heavens yet. I want to get to know you better! I am comforted though by your strong belief in Jesus and your gentle wisdom. I know someday you and I, and other shipmates, will laugh together in a garden up there if we don't get to here. I am hoping to hear "Stayway to Heaven" up there and see the drummer from Led Zep.
I think heaven is bigger than any of our imagination. It is like telling a blind person from birth about the color blue, somebody who has been to heaven and back, trying to tell us about heaven. I know since my massage therapist has been there (like I told you about on the phone...) and she could not explain it to my satisifation.

Blessings to you, you little Irish Lassie Princess.

--------------------

chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by duchess [green]:
I am hoping to hear "Stayway to Heaven" up there and see the drummer from Led Zep.

people aren't supposed to stay away from heaven!

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is a fact known to many on board this ship that I do NOT have a skateboard, and furthermore, do not use it. However, I do believe I have seen a certain Pipkin using one recently. I may be mistaken.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

Arggh! In heaven I hope I never have to spell! [Ultra confused]

--------------------

Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Miss Molly,
I had to take a day to cry. The gift of you giving out your true name was so meaningful to those of us who don't know it already. I always wonder if we will have a special name when we are called by God, but we will instantly know it and the certainty that it is our true self's name. I have heard my name whispered twice in the darkening of the day, when no one else was near. Closer than my ear, but so audible I had to turn. In many cultures giving out your real name is entrusting yourself to that person, I thank you for your trust.
I thought of an old cartoon I once used to watch, The Amazing Three. There were 3 aliens who come to earth and live here. One of their friends was dying in one episode, and said that she would die when the sun set. Well, they built a supersonic ship and followed the sun around until she decided that she would live just so the ship would stop! I figure we already have a ship, and between all of us around the clock prayers for you. Besides, you need to post 2000 times before you can go!
Peace, prayers, and postings,
Debbie

Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marama
Shipmate
# 330

- Posted      Profile for Marama   Email Marama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss Molly, I thought of you at a wedding on Saturday. One of my daughter's friends, a girl I had known through church since she was a little thing, married her boyfriend-since-highschool, and they processed out of the church to 'Fields of Gold'. And knowing your courage and acceptance of the fullness of life, I though you might think that very suitable. It was a joyful occasion, full of pink lilies, saxophone music (played by the bride's younger brother, happy people. And I prayed for you and the bridal couple together.
Posts: 910 | From: Canberra | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss Molly, I'm afraid my request got lost in a barrage of good wishes (a nice place to be lost in).

So... is there a particular song, prayer, poem, bizarre handshake, embarrassing dance etc etc which you would like us all to learn and perform to mark your passing?

(Skateboards would definitely have to be optional!)

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ginga
Ship's lurker
# 1899

- Posted      Profile for Ginga     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss Molly,

I rarely post, but I read these boards a lot. I just wanted to add my thanks to those of the others who have already posted. You are an inspiration, truly.

Ginga

Posts: 1075 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by duchess [green]:

Dang it, I feel selfish, I want you to stay HERE Miss Molly, on the Mothership, not going up up to the heavens yet. I want to get to know you better!

I want you to stay here to...and i'm always trying not to cry when i read the thread in college... [Waterworks] But i guess gods in charge...i hope so anyway...

And i'm echoing Gills request, what can we do?

Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Remembering that you're a Pratchett fan, how about the Lancre Stick and Bucket Dance?
[Eek!]

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

Hadn't that been Banned, after Lords and Ladies...we could play cards with death!
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Molly my dearest,

Many apologies for my silence since meeting a certain aquatic shipmate... Unfortunately baby b has been a bit poorly with a bad cough recently, so I've had 2 days off work (and offline!) to look after her. Normal service is now resumed, however!

As the dear Dolphin said, we had a wonderful time on Saturday. The Turf Tavern is a lovely, out-of-the-way pub, although an alarming number of tourists still managed to find it! [Wink] The food was indeed delicious, and I even managed to eat a small amount of salad, even though no salad cream was provided. Dolphy keeps trying to tell me that lettuce is nice, but I have yet to be persuaded on this matter! [Big Grin]

Unfortunately our time together was very limited by the bus timetable to return Dolphy home, and the time absolutely flew past - as it seems to every time we start chatting! And although you weren't there with us in person, I'm certain you were in spirit. [Yipee]

Mr B got on well on Sunday, and has a formal interview there in 3 weeks' time - please do keep him and all of us in your prayers. We think this really might be it, but are trying not to get our hopes up too high, to make sure we really are listening to God's call, not our own desires... It's not easy though!

Hopefully catch you on MSN one morning soon for a chat...

God bless you, Molly.

Beets

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, sigh...

MM, why cannot we simply get you a lung transplant, since all other systems stubbornly refuse to expose themselves as either originators or the recipients of the tumors?

Where, oh where, is Doctor Leonard McCoy, running through the hosital on his way to save the world...

With a neat little pill that will grow you new lungs...

And cause all the physicians to have poisonous-polite disagreements in the hallway about exactly how it happened?
Father God, Abba, Pappa, You Who reign over all, hold Linda Marie Dillon in Your arms, as only You can...

Sweet Jesus, meek and strong, You understand suffering so well; please, please be beside our MM in her firey trial...

Divine Spirit, Holy Ghost of old, permeate all the Christians around Linda, causing them to overflow with Your love and power to perform Your best will, with her and upon her and around her...

Holy God, in all Your facets, keep Your eye on Linda, and draw her ever closer to You. [Angel]

--------------------

sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

Amen
Miss_Molly

Toujours gai
Beloved
# 2339

Dear friends, it is a lovely early morning here, only about 45 minutes after sun-up. There is still a pinky-gold in the sky, and the trees in the park look soft against it. The hills in the north end of town look blue in the morning light. I was writing Sophs this morning and telling her it looked like the sort of day to set out on an adventure, just as the Nine Walkers did in the Lord of the Rings. I hope the day is lovely where each of you is, too.

Your Grace, Baile Atha Cliath is just the Irish name for Dublin. It means the "town of the hurdle ford", as originally there were reed hurdles at a shallow point in the Liffey as a crossing route. Thank you again for the photo in this thread and the one you PM'd me. Alas, my computer is extremely balky and won't let me look at the one in your private message, but I have a few tricks up my nightie sleeve, so despair not. Indeed, we will all have a shipmeet in heaven, but for now, believe I am with you here, happily and as fully as I can be.

How interesting, Smudgie, that alone of all my correspondents on this thread, and unaccused of any wrongdoing, you yet hasten to post your innocence in the matter of Blue! I am reminded of a Biblical detective maxim: "the wicked flee when no man pursues." [Razz]

Lady A, it is never my intention to make anyone cry, but if possible to tickle them into laughing with me. God bless you for your loving thoughts and prayers.

Beets, my soft hug and tender kiss to your little one. Thanks for clearing up the mystery regarding what point you were trying to prove by eating lettuce. I am not too fond of it either, with or without salad dressing. When I go to a salad bar, I take a token leaf, and then load my plate with the other vegetable offerings. I specially like chickpeas, mushrooms, carrots, green pepper, cauliflower, broccoli, and peas. I like a few drips of Ranch dressing on my salad. I am glad things went well at the parish. I knew they could not be too idiotic if they invited him for an inspection. I am praying that God's will be done, and hoping that your husband receives this call.

Ginga, thank you for your good wishes. Is your name pronounced like the spice or like the "better man" in Kipling's poem, the one whose last name was Din?

Gill H, I should have posted that I was taking your suggestion under advisement! I was touched, but embarrassed at your thought. However, I promise I will think of something, or perhaps some alternative somethings! Actually, I suppose I have always hoped for the response mentioned in the third verse of a folk song: There was a big fish and his name was whale. This song combines the Jonah story and the sign of Jonah that our Lord promised.

"There was a big fish and his name was whale,
A few days, and a few days!
Swallowed Jonah head and tail, and I am going home.
I've got a home up yonder, a few days and a few days.
I've got a home up yonder; I'll be going home.

Swam the ocean 'round and 'round,
A few days and a few days!
Spat out Jonah on dry ground, and I'll be going home.
I've got a home up yonder, a few days and a few days.
I've got a home up yonder; I'll be going home.

Going home in a little while, a few days and a few days!
When I do, I hope you'll smile, 'cause I'll be going home.
I've got a home up yonder a few days and a few days!
I've got a home up yonder, and I am going home.

My little Sophs, remember what fun we had chatting yesterday. There will still be chats. Remember, I don't want to go either, but as the old saying is: we can take God by the hand and walk according to his will in these things, enjoying the pleasures that are on every pathway he travels, or we will be taken by the hand anyway, and because we are balking, will miss the pleasures, will stumble and skin our knees as we struggle against his guiding hand, and will not see the flowers and hear the birds, but only the grey sky, the cold, and the stones that hurt us.

My mind is prone to senior moments these days and I cannot now remember who went to the wedding. Please know that I enjoyed the account, loved the idea of a saxophone, and pray that the newlyweds have every grace and blessing in their new life together.

Janine, thank you for the entertaining image of Doctor McCoy! I know he would have just waved his salt shakers over me to discover the mother tumor, and another pass would have healed me. How much easier the salt shaker treatment would have been than the picnic fork meal! As it is, though, a new set of lungs would simply develop tumors in their time.

Last chance to get your Good 'n' Plenties, your Red Hot Tamales, your nachos, popcorn, Jordan almonds, chocolate covered raisins and your Coke!

The curtain over the screen once again sussuru's back and we see the mousehole, where our heroine and her mother are receiving a special visitor!

The visitor is tall, suave, charming, with a soft North Carolina accent. He bears a gift, an amusing porcelain cat, wearing a little bobble top cap. Thoughtfully, the cat is even provided with his own bed and toy. As we know, Freddy is not a particularly sharing-minded feline. The visitor has bravely come into the room with no mask or gloves on! Southern gentlemen fear upsetting ladies by reminding them of their leper status more than contracting disease! Actually, dear friends, I did not have methicillin resistant staph aureus, it was just something that had contaminated the culture grown from my lung fluid, but the hospital was taking no chances, and nurses masked and gloved and encouraged visitors to do so.

And who was this Southern, Antiochan Orthodox gentleman from North Carolina? It was none other than that radiant light of humility, charity and true modesty, Saint Sebastian! Seriously, he charmed the proverbial socks off both my mother and me. We could not believe someone I didn't know would go to all this trouble for a shipmate. Renee had made an amazing journey to bring me succor, but she and I had at least exchanged private messages and chatted in the cafe. Later, when I read of St Sebastian's worries that we would not like him, or feel imposed upon by his visit, and his seeking information from shipmates on how to make himself pleasant to me, I was deeply moved. I want you all to know, including Seb, that he indeed brought the love of the ship to me, still does, and brings also his special love, help, quirkiness, and humor to this odd relationship. Now if he would stop spreading vicious rumors...

--------------------

Miss_Molly

Toujours gai
Beloved
# 2339

Christine, I just wanted to mention that I got your lovely embroidered card and the little koala finger puppet. I couldn't remember if I had thanked you (another senior moment), but please know how much I have enjoyed them. The finger puppet lives right next to Seb's cat.

Janine, thank you for your beautiful prayer. Reading it was like being held in loving arms. I think your maman handed on her special gift of affection to you.

--------------------

dolphy

# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss Molly,

Can I just clear up a little salad here?!! Beets actually loves to eat lettuce but will not admit to it!!! [Wink]

--------------------

Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Slander! I don't even give it to my bunnies! [Disappointed]

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Remembering that you're a Pratchett fan, how about the Lancre Stick and Bucket Dance?
[Eek!]

Molly, you're a Pratchett fan too! I hope you have someone lined up to rush you a copy of "Night Watch" when it comes out at the beginning of November.
Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(tearing by en route to parents evening at school)...

Dear Molly,

Your salad preferences remind me rather of our male PE students from college days. They used to load their dinner plates with salad, add a layer of fries on top, and then proceed to drench the lot with salad cream!

As a honorary bunny I suppose I should be fond of greenstuff but... [Confused]

I wonder - do you think Peter Rabbit and Benjamin Bunny ever enjoyed sprouts and broccoli?

Must dash

love
Miffy

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

Skimmit, Sidle & Dash
Solicitors, Commisioners for Oaths, Kitten Wholesalers

14 October 2002

RE: Mashter Blue Ocean

Dear Shir,

Fred Dingle has liberated the following items from the gardener's shed:
  • one large embroidered bootee (filled with "Old Codger's Finest" pipe tobacco)
  • one sheet of brown wrapping paper, complete with smudgy address (submitted to our *ahem* friend in the police lab)
I remain Sir, blah blah, blah blah,
Eustache Shidle, BA(Brixton. Well nearly...)

Mr. Hashem Djarouewhatsit
c/o Djarouifingy Imports/Exports Intnl,
Pikine Road Mkt, Dassh, Fakar SHENEGAL
[/quote]

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

I had forgotten... I have been a bunny!

When I delivered singing telegrams umpteen years ago, I needed a bunny costume (a la Playboy) for many deliveries.

I got my husband's input & came up with a compromise that didn't bare much; the stretchy body suit was black, with a normal neckline and long sleeves; and I wore black pantyhose usually underneath my black fishnet hose. Black pumps, only 2 or 3 inches high, no stillettos for me. And white furry ears, detatchable white satin colar & cuffs with black piping. No tail.

Altogether a most tame-looking Bunny, not quite the sex-kitten (sex-bunny?)image of the Playboy servers of cocktails and doe-eyed admiration.

The most memorable "bunny-balloon-boquet-singing-telegram" delivery was to a young man on the nearby Sioux Indian Reservation. I think it was his mother sent it to him as a joke.

Then there was the gorilla costume... roaring and grunting and vocalising "Happy Birthday" as a gorilla cannot be topped as a surrealistic thrill. Especially when I ws heavily pregnant wearing it, and sported a frilly pink ballet tutu over it... big black rubber feet... goodness!

What dusty memory-lockers you do open, MM and other sweet Ship folks! [Yipee]

--------------------

Marama
Shipmate
# 330

- Posted      Profile for Marama   Email Marama   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have been having strange goings-on here, Miss Molly (Disclaimer - this has nothing to do with Ham and Eggs - I think). Overnight Canberra became a town of dirty cars. Last night there was a wild whirling wind from the west, laden with red dust, and at the stategic moment there was some drizzle too. Result - falling red mud! Last week it was hail the size of marbles. Something very odd is happening.
Posts: 910 | From: Canberra | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

# 862

Good morning my dear Molly,
And what a truly beautiful morning it is here - the sun is shining, the air is crisp and cold, there was ice on the cars as I walked Jessie this morning (Brandy could not bothered to get out of his warm bed!), there is condensation on the windows- all we need to complete this perfect picture would be some snow! The little robin I told you about last week is singing in the tree and yes, we have put some more food out for them.

You can be sure that Oxford is now safe again from the Beets and Dolphy duo - well just for now!I am planning a return visit soon and am going to buy Beets lunch in the new salad bar that has just opened [Devil] (must remember to buy Beets some salad cream for Christmas!)

Oh and Molly, just a quiet word between you and me, try adjusting your bonnet, your horns are beginning to show [Wink]

--------------------

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Molly.... my last full day in the UK...oxford internet cafe... What a great time I have had, meeting such lovely shipmates around the place, plus sundry dear friends and cousins/aunts.
Canada tomorrow... but I wanted to tell you about my Aunt's cat, Zoe- who adores water- in the shower, the sink, the loo, anywhere really. So cute and determined to get water anywhere, anyhow... She would drink it, dance in it, wash in it, swim in it- such a silly little dear. She lives in Somerset, UK.

Last Monday it was cold and wet. Friends took me to a lovely wee town called St Alban's, with the loveliest cathedral. We walked in cold and wet, but left warmed by the light of God's Spirit... it was near dark, but candles were lit in the church, and a little boy was singing some anthem, with an adult playing the organ. It sounded like an angel singing- just for us. I lit some candles- 1 for you; one for my sick father, and one for the tragedy of Bali... So, if your dreams are occasionally coloured by the sound of an angel singing, then maybe God is thinking of you with great love, as are your Ship friends...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
my daughter was a baby bunny on her first halloween when she was only 5 months old. (we were having a party so we put her in a costume too). she wore a pink one-piece stretchy, a set of ears on elastic (only for the brief bits we were showing her off of course!) and a home made fluffy bunnytail safty pinned onto the stretchy.

she was adorable!

so theres another bunny for your collection, miss molly. she has grown up quite fierce, so she will, i hope, be helpful.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miss_Molly

Toujours gai
Beloved
# 2339

My dear Shipmates, loving greetings to you all.

Christine, I was a bit worried by your account until I recollected that the Chief Executive of Australia is not styled Pharoah! Seriously, I know all the ship is praying for the relief of Australia's drought.

Miffy, I don't think those two rabbits ever ate broccoli! It was not a feature of English gardens at the time. I well recall my first visit to Ireland, when I was invited to lunch at a friend's house. His mother, wishing to please her exotic guest, cooked broccoli. But, as it is not a staple of the traditional Irish diet, she did not realize it should be removed from the pot before it was dead. The poor little buds were cooked off the stalk! However, I greatly appreciated her courtesy and courage in trying to cook an unknown vegetable to honor me.

Dolphy and Beets, on my thread, no slagging of shipmates is allowed. Play nice.

Curiously enough, Janine, when you mentioned you had delivered singing telegrams, I wondered about your personae. For my birthday one year, my sister and her then-husband arranged a singing reindeer. I remember part of the lyrics as "best birthday wished from a reindeer who looks suspicious"! It was New Year's Eve, and very cold, so a reindeer costume (long brown Dr Denton-y garb with hood and antlers attached to hood) was very sensible as well as seasonal. I think your bunny attire was sensible and "smart", by the way.

Thank you for the heads-up on the new Pratchett, Sparrow. I love the chronicles concerning the Guards, as I take it this one is. By the way, I think my favorite Pratchett character is the Patrician. A vignette I often remember is his "imprisonment", with his needs supplied by mice. As mice are not connoisseurs of good literature, when he asks for reading material they bring him back a book on lace-making. The Patrician applies himself to reading this, managing to derive entertainment and information which may sometime be useful!

Rowen, thank you for lighting a candle for me. I am glad you had this time in England. I shall be praying for your safe journey, your sister(?) and your father.

I hope I have remembered everyone. If not, I will check again, and respond later. Please know that I am strengthened by all your concern, and interested in all your doings. I have been reading up on lung cancer. Many people who have this disease are terribly depressed; some even to the point of suicide, because of the debilitating nature of the disease, the way the debilities tend to isolate a person from previous social groups and the extremely poor survival rate, even with the best treatment and early detection. I have your company, dear shipmates. Your love upholds me in any momentary sadness and distracts me from my limitations. I shall not survive, but I live, fully and richly, among you.

We now return to our serial.

I was weak after my surgery, but the measures taken by Dr Reid were extremely helpful. Before surgery, my oxygen requirement rose almost daily. The night before surgery, I should really have been on a mask, as I needed 6 liters a minute to maintain a decent amount of oxygen in my blood. I was so short of breath I could not raise my arms above my head to tie my gown. I had to "pre-tie" it at the neck, bend forward and slip it on. It even made me gasp to tie the fastener at the gown's waist. This was because of the fluid continuing to increase in my lung. I was told that the tumors, of their nature. produce fluid, and that they were also blocking the normal drainage system that would permit me to cough up the secretions.

After surgery, even with the chest tube, my oxygen requirement diminished. With improved breathing capability, I also got some energy back. I was able to be up in the chair all day.

I had feared pain after surgery. The nurses offered me morphine into my vein frequently, but I only occasionally made use of it. To me, pain is not being able to move or do what one needs to do; it is not being able to attend to anything else because the pain has grabbed your mind. My friend Marian, however, was observing me carefully. She asked one day if I had pain. I said I was a little uncomfortable, but not in any pain. She persisted, "Tell me what it feels like." I said that it was funny, but the tube beneath my arm felt as large as a garden hose, and the drainage collector seemed to be under my arm and not on the floor. Being a woman who does not mince words, she responded, "You ninny! That is pain! Take something for it!" After that, I took pain medicine with a little more frequency. However, the morphine, in combination with the antibiotics I received by drip every eight hours, was burning out all available veins at a great rate, so I asked for oral medication. I took three doses of the prescribed synthetic codeine and Tylenol, then decided I could manage on Tylenol only. I did quite well, remembering to ask for something when my tube felt a bit large!

Dr Reilly came to see me, to bring the news that despite exhaustive tests, there was still no name for my cancer. Accordingly, he proposed chemotherapy that had helped people with tumors that looked like mine. His plan was Taxol, a drug made from the Pacific yew, in combination with older agents, carboplatin, which is a platinum based drug, and vepecid. We might, if extremely fortunate, achieve remission for a time. At the least, he felt he could guarantee good palliative results, with the tumors shrunk to a tiny size, and my symptoms relieved. I agreed to this therapy, which would begin after my chest tube was pulled.

I needed the chest tube from the Tuesday of my surgery until the following Sunday. Each day, the drainage in the collection chambers was measured to check for its diminishing. Each day, I went for a chest X-Ray to check my lung. On the Saturday after surgery, the suction was turned off on my chest tube to see if my lung would stay inflated without it. The Sunday morning X-Ray was good, so the surgical resident pulled the tube and dressed the wound again.

This was such a relief. I no longer had to take my "friend" everywhere. I could shower and wash my hair if I covered my dressing carefully. I had been longing to wash my hair, and I had hated basin baths. I would not have done well in any era without plenty of hot, clean water and adequate water pressure for a good sluicing.

I hoped to have a day or two to continue recovering from surgery, but the chemotherapy was scheduled for Monday. I was disappointed, but knew the financial considerations that made moving things along necessary.

Tomorrow, playing Cripple Mr Onion with a character who talks in ALL CAPS!

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

I don't think any of us post here for the recognition when you reply... although of course it's nice. But, you need do nothing you haven't energy for. Hugs! [Sunny]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  18  19  20 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016