homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Glory   » Fields of Gold (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  18  19  20 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fields of Gold
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just buzzing by, hi y'all!

Get all the help and concessions re: protocol you can, Miss M., when dealing with the blankity-blank-blurp-blank "system". Yeech.

I enjoy allowing the bang-bang-bang electric hymnal to play while I read & post, thanks y'all for the sites.

My music project for today is to record, for my church sisters who will go with me on retreat at month's end, the song "Louie, Louie", by the Kingsmen... because that's the tune to the Bible-camp-style "Pharaoh, Pharaoh". (Pharaoh - Pharaoh, oh, no, baby, we gotta go... yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah... with hand motions... quite the opposite of the several-part Doxology we'll also do for contrast...)

A tape of the pieces we are to perform on retreat, to entertain the other women, is a great toll. All we semi-literate musicians can brainwash ourselves with the tape, you see; thus we'll need only a few rehearsals.

Dodging out into the rain now to carry little Joe to school. God bless Miss M.!

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Janine, we do that one too - only we sing

"Pharaoh, Pharaoh, oh baby, let my people go
Hoo! Hah! Yeh yeh yeh yeh..."

... with appropriate walk-like-an-Egyptian actions.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Miss Molly,
I was reading the last two posts and had the funniest sight of your Pookie doing an Egyptian cat walk to "Pharoah, Pharoah, oh oh,....."

(smilie of a cat doing little paw Egyptian thingys!)

Pawsing to send love your way,
Lady A

Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Miss_Molly:

Please note, the caseworker is helpful; it is the forms,
regulations, and hidden agenda that are causing the revelation of my basic nasty-temperedness.
I know this ruins my chance at sainthood, but it is my true nature. [Two face]

But Miss Molly, you can be the patroness of those dealing with soulless bureaucracies! Of course, that would keep you rather busy... I myself am wading through a paperwork process, and sympathize very much!!

2 small presents for you; if you find them unsuitable, *please* ignore them! [Smile]

First is my current sig, which I'm pasting in--in case I change it later.

From Pure Joy springs all creation;
by Joy it is sustained,
towards Joy it proceeds
and to Joy it returns.
--Ajit Mookerjee

2nd is one that I've found comforting since childhood.

--Crossing The Bar--
Sunset and evening star,
And one clear call for me!
And may there be no moaning of the bar,
When I put out to sea,

But such a tide as moving seems asleep,
Too full for sound and foam,
When that which drew from out the boundless deep
Turns again home.

Twilight and evening bell,
And after that the dark!
And may there be no sadness of farewell,
When I embark;

For tho' from out our bourne of Time and Place
The flood may bear me far,
I hope to see my Pilot face to face
When I have crost the bar.
--Tennyson

Anyway, I offer these journeying poems with disclaimers and some trepidation. While I've been in tough situations of my own, I've never been in your situation and don't know what thoughts/approaches are appropriate for you. I know how irritating it can be when someone offers well-meant but clueless advice. So this is just FWIW. [Eek!]

Best wishes,
Golden Key

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miss_Molly

Toujours gai
Beloved
# 2339

- Posted      Profile for Miss_Molly   Email Miss_Molly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy days, dear hearts! That is what I wish for you, that you may be as blessed and happy as I am.

Ma cher Janine, and dear Gill, I laughed to think of the Kingsmen's immortal ballad used in this way.

Lady A, I am still remembering you dancing. Pookie never danced that I remember, but I can imagine her doing a sort of heiratic prance to the tune. Thank you for the image.

The Hamster Ball arrived tonight! A large box wrapped in gold foil paper and with a big bow of gold ribbon was handed to me by none other than St Sebastian, who I am glad to report is feeling better. To the clicking and whirring of cameras, I performed surgery on the wrappings, opened the box and discovered the most beautiful and thoughtful and loving gift! It was an embrace from many, many shipmates, bound into a comforter, so it could be contained in cardboard and shipped to me.

It really is the loveliest, snuggliest, most delightful object. It is a patchwork, with squares on which shipmates have signed their names, drawn pictures, embroidered, and appliqued
with touches of humor and whimsy as well as deep affection. There are patches from the bulletin board headings, and patches showing what's available in the avatar shop, and even an enlarged picture of my avatar! I am of course, equally genteel in the family size package.

I managed to collect some information from two shipmates regarding the way this amazing objet d'art was constructed. I gather Chukovsky honcho'd the project in the UK, with Ham 'n' Eggs on hand at one point. The comforter was then shipped to Jedi Judy, who collected squares in the USA and sewed them together. There was a card in the box that had a cross-stitched cat, that looked suspiciously like work I have seen before! Another card was also a cat, a Florida one this time. One can never have too many cats on hand. They will join the pride on my walls.

I would like to quote from the musical Scrooge:

"Thank you very much
Thank you very much!
It's the nicest thing that anyone's ever done for me!"

It is the nicest thing because it represents the nicest thing--your affection and prayers.

God bless you all.

--------------------
"I come from a state that raises corn, and cockleburrs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me"

Congressman Willard Duncan Vandiver at a naval banquet in Philadelphia, 1899

Posts: 1242 | From: home | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hooray!

Miss Molly, you don't know how long some of us have been holding our breath waiting for the quilt to reach you. It's felt like being seven years old on Christmas Eve all over again! Can't wait for the photos.

Just to make today perfect, Sarah Kennedy played 'Fields of Gold' on the radio as I woke up this morning, so my first thoughts were of you and the quilt.

I promise I'll post the rest of the 'Pharaoh' lyrics at some point, so you can imagine the whole spectacle.

Have a wonderful day wrapped in your Ship-hug!

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have tried our best to keep the project a secret and have been communicating by emails and PMs. We contacted as many people as possible who posted on the orginal thread, but because of time constraints there are bound to be people who were missed out.

The quilt was made by a certain group of shipmates, but it comes with love from all of us.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Molly, deprived of my computer and MSN and email, and unable to get through on the phone yet, I am forced to post on this thread which I obviously never read ;)I am delighted to know the "ship-hug" finally arrived - you have no idea how difficult it is holding conversations in two MSN windows about the quilt, while talking to you in another window and frantically trying to avoid mentioning it. I nearly exploded at one point. So now you know I really can be a bit of a [Two face] too. I long to talk to you again properly. I will persevere with the telephone.

Take good care of yourself, my friend, and be good. God bless you Molly

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Delighted you now have your Ship-Hug. I agree with others as to how difficult it was not to let the cat out of the bag, as they say!!!

With very much love from all in the Dolphy household. xxx

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Phew!

If I'd had to hold on any longer, I'd have burst! I'll echo Smudgie re the msn dilemma. Many's the time I've deliberately avoided talking about the quilt when you weren't there, just in case you should be invited into the conversation and find out the dreadful truth by accident.

Wonderful to know that you've finally received it. I'm looking forward to seeing those photos! [Yipee]

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm so glad the secret's out, I would have died if I had had to hold onto it any longer. The worst bit was when I was talking to Molly on the phone and then I put the phone down just as the doorbell rang for the first person to come over and tie knots in the quilt!

You can see some pictures on my website, and special thanks should go to a bunch of stars including Gill (the non-red person in the pictures of the European half) for hosting a pinning- and tying-together party; Strathclydezero for organising the email list while I actually had to get on with some w**k; babybear who valiantly sent about a million PMs after I refused to do it any more (at 2 mins flood control per person!); and Michelle who was the person who sewed the patchwork on the North American half; and anyone else I've forgotten!

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Molly, I'm so glad you've got the quilt at last! You might be interested to know that ShadoK tried to help with the tying (the only sewing he's attempted since I caught him trying to repair the hem on his trousers whilst still wearing them....). I also managed to get one or two stitches in the right place, after a great deal of trying! Chukovsky, Kingsfold and LJB(?) were very patient with us that evening! (Eventually, Chukovsky agreed we'd done enough and let us go to the pub, to ShadoK's great relief!). [Big Grin]

We really enjoyed our tiny part in this great project, and we're so glad you like the result. The pictures certainly look very handsome! [Yipee]

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fudge

Pictish free citizen
# 425

- Posted      Profile for Fudge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Molly,

please don't imagine I forgot you, as Babybear says, it was only the folk that posted to start with she contacted, and since I didn't know till later it was you, I missed out.

I would have loved to contribute to the quilt, as I am a stitcher myself!! Boo hoo! [Waterworks]

Anyway, thanks Chukovsky for the pics, at least I can see what folk did. (Love your site by the way)

Happy Christmas Molly, when it comes. They have all the xmas lights up in Union Street here in Aberdeen, but not switched on yet. Set my own fireworks off last night in the carpark, what great fun! I hope you got to set off some sparklers, they are such a reminder of childhood.

The trees outside my window still have leaves on, but the ones at the bus stop are nearly all bare now. Walked through the two little parks beside the doc's last night and there are HUGE horse-chestnut trees there, and as I walked past, a conker fell to the ground and split open. Cool! [Eek!]

love
Fudge

--------------------
Stay me flagons ... or maybe tappit hens.

Posts: 347 | From: Aberdeen | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy*

Jedi defender of ship's cats
# 1059

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy*   Email jedijudy*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We can breathe again! Molly, this was the hardest secret ever to keep!

Did you like the back of the quilt? It's a bit unconventional, but so is a world-wide quilt!

We hope that everythime you wrap it around yourself, you remember that we love you to pieces, and that we wanted to send you the tenderest, biggest hug in the universe!

Now we can talk, and I don't have to worry about saying the wrong thing!!

Your Jedi Sister, waving her lightsaber in pure happiness!
Judy

--------------------
ENFP...do you see a "T" anywhere??? I don't think so.

Posts: 3248 | From: Soon to be inhabiting identity # 333!!! | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Molly, I'm very glad you like the quilt.

Your list of those who helped put it together was missing one name. Michelle put together some of the North American contributions.

There was a Yahoo group dedicated to the planning and execution. There were probably at least fifty posts.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When our priest was going to be elevated to Archpriest during the recent visit by our bishop; the parish council, the entire church and even his wife kept it secret an entire year. The banquet committee even fictionalized a banquet plan to present to Father, so he wouldn't be aware of the celebration in his honor.

He was delighted, of course, but amazed that he hadn't found out even a hint. Now he says, over and over - he is surprised that more people aren't addressing their deceptive natures in confession. [Smile] [Big Grin]

Good and fun secrets are wonderful. I do hope this has been like the beginning of your best ever Christmas, Molly. [Not worthy!]

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Molly, I once recieved a quilt as a farewell gift from a parish, and they kept it secret too- so I know a little about how you must be feeling. It is one of my most loved possessions. Boy, they had to chase me around England to get a piece of material to me, so's I could get it back in time.
But use the quilt, molly, and feel wrapped in our love.
I am at my sister's now, in Ohio. My family here are great, especially my 5 year old great-niece, who does accents remarkably well, and is already running round saying "G'day!"

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4897 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
Molly, I'm very glad you like the quilt.

Your list of those who helped put it together was missing one name. Michelle put together some of the North American contributions.

All of them! as I mentioned previously

quote:

There was a Yahoo group dedicated to the planning and execution. There were probably at least fifty posts.

more like 150! it's been pretty busy.

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My idea of a hug with a tangible free-standing form of its own IS a quilt. Good going, guys.

Here's a giggle, M.M., for when the drudgery of paperwork seems to outweigh chemo and fatigue on you "bad things" list.

http://svt.se/hogafflahage/hogafflaHage_site/Kor/hestekor.html

Click on the - ah - individuals - and you'll find you're suddenly able to play a furry new instrument. [Killing me]

--------------------

kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hooray, hooray, the quilt has arrived!

I'm so glad you liked it, and it was wonderful to be able to do a bit for you,

with love

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

A huge 'good on ya' to the Australian contingent too, especially Nunc (I believe it was Nunc - it was a little strange keeping real names and Ship names straight.)

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm so glad it finally got there! This has been a VERY hard secret to keep! (My Senior Child drew a pair of Anime-style cats on one square, and she's been asking when you were going to receive it too.) Wrap yourself tight in a multi-continent hug!

Rossweisse // honored to have had a small part in it

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I also heard Sarah Kennedy play 'Fields of Gold' this morning, and wondered how close to the time the quilt was being presented that it was played. Maybe Sarah Kennedy is a secret SoF poster?!
Glad the quilt arrived and was presented safely - can't wait to see the presentation pictures! (sunny smilie) [Smile]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
YAY!!!! I too am honoured! [Not worthy!] By the way, that is supposed to be a HAMSTER on mine rather than the cat everyone seems to think it is, in honour of your liking of my hamster icons! [Smile]

(Did the CD make it this time? Hamster songs are on it.)

HUGS!!

David
[Love]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Sebastian

Staggering ever onward
# 312

- Posted      Profile for St. Sebastian   Email St. Sebastian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ya'll think YOU had a hard time keeping it secret! Molly was worse than the Grand Inquisitor, trying to wheedle clues out of me.

Fudge, it's not too late to add a panel. Apparently there are a few that didn't make it to the quilters in time to be included. Katie is sending me some and Molly and I will rent a movie and sew them on some evening, so feel free to send one to me if you like. I'm at 740 East 300 South, #306, Salt Lake City, UT 84102.

I'm taking the pictures to Sam's Club today to get them processed. I don't know if they can be attached to this thread somehow or not, but I'm going to email them to Katie to put on her website. If anyone wants their own, I'll certainly be glad to email them to you.

I had one of Molly getting in one last flog with the oxygen cord (my gift wrapping skills were not up to par, you see)but she ripped the film out of the camera while I was unconcious on the floor. [Razz]

--------------------
St. Seb

In Spite of Everything: Yes.

Posts: 962 | From: Burlington, North Carolina | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

Hugs, St. Seb.

[Love]

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

St. Sebastian

Staggering ever onward
# 312

- Posted      Profile for St. Sebastian   Email St. Sebastian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, bag that. I spoke without understanding. I didn't know that the squares had to be measured, pre-washed, etc. If you don't already have a square, it's too late (but Molly knows many more would have "squared" if there had been time). If you have one you haven't returned, you can still return them to Judy or Katie, whoever you were supposed to return them to.

I took the film in today and lo, the prints will be available online for 30 days for your viewing or downloading pleasure. I'll let you know the address and password when the film place gives it to me (in about 3 days). I love modern times!

--------------------
St. Seb

In Spite of Everything: Yes.

Posts: 962 | From: Burlington, North Carolina | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss Molly, I must confess to being another 'lurker' here, I’ve been reading this thread for a while and have been so touched by your bravery, honesty and loveliness [Smile] What can I say ... your grace and serenity are an inspiration. Praying for a truly magical Christmas for you and your family, and sending you another hug (sorry I’m hopeless at sewing so will just add a sincere thoughtful hug as a virtual square to the quilt).

With much love [Love]

Jackie

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Brent
Shipmate
# 3498

- Posted      Profile for Brent   Email Brent   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am truly touched by the magnificient outpouring of love in this quilt you have received. I joined SOF after this project actually got off the ground, however, reading through all these posts and realizing the effort that has been put forth is wondrous. What beautiful hearts to grace you with such a wonderful gift. I am moved, God's blessings to you all, and continued strength for you Miss Molly as you now can embrace yourself with the warmth of your friends here at SOF.

--------------------
In His Grip...

Posts: 127 | From: On the links | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
miss molly, my square just has my name and a big red heart (to match the one in my avatar). but if i'd remembered that you were an archy and mehitable fan, i'd have drawn a cockroach. [Wink] so whenever you look at my square, just imagane a little archy crawling across the heart. [Big Grin]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Here's another fun thing with which to while away the hours.

Music to watch the geese by?

Music to flog by?

http://www.buffnet.net/~ambrosia/home.htm

I like the site.

So it ain't opera. Call me lowbrow if you want, I won't mind. I'll just keep smilin' through the great overhanging thatch of my low-hanging brow and keep on listening. [Paranoid]

--------------------

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Molly I am SO GLAD the quilt reached you! Reading about how you opened it etc brought a huge grin to my face. It's made my day!

PS - Did the Australian squares make it on?

[edited to add info]

[ 06. November 2002, 23:17: Message edited by: Nunc Dimittis ]

Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
JoyfulNoise & Parrot OKief

Ship's pirate
# 2049

- Posted      Profile for JoyfulNoise & Parrot OKief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now the full Ship can (((Hug))) you in reality. [Smile]
Posts: 1101 | From: East Anglia in the UK | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm so glad I don't have to lie [Roll Eyes] to Miss Molly anymore when we talk on the phone. So I am glad you got the quilt, at last. I have to say that the shipmates who joined us considered it to be a labor of love, MM. [Love]

Love and saintly hugs,
Motherboard (sadly missing her beating heart smiley) [Angel]

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Miz Molly:

Found a shape note singing gathering (Sacred Harp tradition) you can listen to, recorded & w/ a playlist & interviews.

Being part of the churches of Christ/restoration movement, I particularly enjoy a cappella worship music. Shape-note stuff usually is a cappella. At least, the only common non-vocal accompaniment is the tapping of feet! I suppose that still qualifies.

Two interviews were especially interesting to me:
*The guy from Alabama who had come up to New England for the singing, whose family for generations had been using that style of music in worship on a regular basis, and
*The (presumably Hindu)lady whose employer had moved her there from Kansas, who came with a friend to one singing event, & was "hooked" on the fellowship & circle of instant friends. And food.

I have always promoted singing as an aerobic exercise.

Just another place for "background music", a soundtrack for your life. Use it when you're feeling all 19th-century-ish, Frontierish or even a bit Colonial.

(Recall the stories of "Singing School" when Laura Ingalls and Almanzo Wilder were courting "on the prarie"?)

If you split screens you can pull up the "Fasola" site & get an index of the Sacred Harp tunes to help you find a number you like.

http://www.fasola.org/

http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/shows/3155

--------------------

Miss_Molly

Toujours gai
Beloved
# 2339

- Posted      Profile for Miss_Molly   Email Miss_Molly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear shipmates,

I am sorry I did not post last night, and sorry this post is so short.

I am well, but tired from the chemo. I now have your quilt hanging on my bedroom wall, just by my bed, so I can see it from the living room and while lying down. It is really beautiful both from a distance, as an art object, and up close as a heart object. With all_my_heart, I thank you again. When the time comes for me to get on the train, I shall ask that the quilt be put over me. I shall die in your arms.

I will post later today. In the meantime, my love to all of you. Indeed, I do know many would have added a square, but could not for various reasons. I consider that those who read this thread, those who lurk, and those who communicate in other ways, all have a square on my quilt. As I said, my love to you all.

--------------------
"I come from a state that raises corn, and cockleburrs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me"

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
If you split screens you can pull up the "Fasola" site & get an index of the Sacred Harp tunes to help you find a number you like.

The tunes and the harmonies are nifty. However, the raw singing CAN be a bit difficult for the unaccustomed ear. If I might make a suggestion for the uninitiated: check out the recordings of Sacred Harp/Southern Harmony tunes by His Majestie's Clerkes (now known as Bella Voce, but the CDs are unchanged) and Paul Hillier. It's an easier way to listen to this beautiful music.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This seems appropriate, and I thought I'd post it here. It's circulating the net right now and I thought of the Ship and of [Love] Molly [Love] (I miss the heart smilie too!!) in particular...

quote:
ONE MORE THING, PLEASE

Dear Lord:

Every single evening
As I'm lying here in bed
This tiny little prayer
Keeps running through my head.

God bless all my family
Wherever they may be,
Keep them warm and safe from harm.
For they're so close to me,

And God, there is one more thing
I wish that you could do.
Hope you don't mind me asking,
Bless my computer too.

Now I know that it's not normal
To bless a mother board.
But listen just a second
While I explain to you 'My Lord'.

You see, that little metal box
Holds more than odds & ends
Inside those small compartments
Rest so many of my FRIENDS.

I know so much about them
By the kindness that they give
And this little scrap of metal
Takes me in to where they live.

By faith is how I know them
Much the same as you
We share in what life brings us
And from that our friendship grew.

Please, take an extra minute
From your duties up above
To bless those in my address book
That's filled with so much love!

Wherever else this prayer may reach
To each and every friend,
Bless each e-mail Inbox
And the person who hits Send.

When you update your heavenly list
On your own CD-Rom
Remember each who've said this prayer
Sent up to God.com. Amen.

Hugs all! Especially to Molly! [Not worthy!]

David

PS: Sorry, I couldn't resist adding the link above... [Razz]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fudge

Pictish free citizen
# 425

- Posted      Profile for Fudge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dave, that was beautiful - it reminds me of my alternative Psalm34 - which I will dig out from the depths of my PC - and St Seb, it sounds like a good idea. If I have time, I will give it a bash, and Moll, I will send you the poem soon, off out to Makro (cash&carry store - floor to ceiling with goodies) and then pizza and a movie.

nighty night
Fudge [Love]

--------------------
Stay me flagons ... or maybe tappit hens.

Posts: 347 | From: Aberdeen | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That shape singing stuff is amazing.

Now I know where the eccentric hymn-books with odd shaped notes in my bro-in-law's church in North London stem from. They sing a cappella in four part harmony every service. It's very beautiful, even if they give theological reasons for avoiding musical instruments, about which I reckon they're mistaken.

They are a church that originates in the USA, and obviously the founders brought the musical tradition (and the books) with them. [Cool]

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss Molly...I am so pleased you got so much happiness from the ship with the squares and thoughts of squares.

God be with you today, my dear.

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

While Miss Molly is resting up, here's a tangent re: shape note singing... y'all can run get a glass of tea or something if it doesn't interest you...

daisymay -

The main religious movement I know anything about that is devoted to shaped notes, and abhors artificial musical instruments (as opposed to the one God made, the voice... [Big Grin] ), would be the churches of Christ, of Restoration Movement fame. These are my church family. "Cousins" include the Disciples of Christ & Christian Churches.

Thomas Campbell and his son Alexander got tired of layers of churchiness and just wanted to worship God & have Christian fellowship with other Christians.

When Thomas went to the US, he left the family w/ oldest son Alexander, who was in school in Scotland. (Seminary?)

By the time they all got back together, in the States, they'd both come to the conclusion that they were ready to kick over the traces of tradition and just be Christians, following the Bible. (The Campbells were correspondents with Thomas Jefferson, etc. The US was still young & unspoiled... [Razz] )

To the extent that we still do that (shedding man-made religion & going with God's religion) we are successful in 'restoring' the church Jesus died to set up.

Of course, it can all degenerate into a "secty" little denomination that worships the church instead of the Christ if you don't watch out. [Roll Eyes]

Anyway, you can blame the Irish/Scots Campbells for the movement, and for the strange songbooks. [Snigger]

I need to get a new copy of the shape note tape I wore out, by the Word of Mouth Chorus from the Nonesuch label. That was a good one.

Shape note singing is really a singer's music, not meant in its natural state to be performed & listened to by an audience. It's heavenly to take part in it, though. Really ups the old blood oxygen level!

Thanks for checking out the links.

--------------------

Miss_Molly

Toujours gai
Beloved
# 2339

Dear shipmates, another short post I am afraid. I am not having any nausea so far with this chemo, but I am much more tired than usual.

I am touched, Moth that ShadoK would try to help in this way.

Bessie Rosebride, I now have your chrismation pictures. In fact, they came the same night as the quilt. How beautiful you are, and how moving the ceremony must have been. I can see it on all your faces.

Thank you Bessie, for your square and for Fearless' paw square.

I cannot remember whose daughter did the anime cats, but they are really professional looking. I smile at them every morning.

Chastmaster, I am embarrassed not to have thanked you before this for the tape! The Bilbo Baggins song really must have been the nadir of Leonard Nimoy's career; however did he get roped into attempting to warble that one? I love your square on my quilt, too, especially the determined mood of your hamster.

For those wondering when I received the quilt, in case it was when Fields of Gold was on the radio, I can say that it was about 4 AM UK time. There is no truth to the rumor that I flogged St Sebastian! (Although I was tempted when he made me wear the package ribbon in my hair...a custom I thought I had sidestepped neatly and forever by never being the recipient of any sort of "shower".)

Thanks for the information about your church, Janine. Thanks also, to those of you who posted information on fasola singing.

Nunc, the Australian shipmates did indeed have their greetings added to my quilt. You and the Coot are both on there. I love the blue ink in your signature.

Babybear, my mother and sister were charmed by your tiny signature and little paw print! I was, too.

Take care of yourselves, my dear ones. I shall post again, and I hope at greater length.

--------------------

Nunc Dimittis
Seamstress of Sound
# 848

- Posted      Profile for Nunc Dimittis   Email Nunc Dimittis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss Molly I miss you on MSN... [Frown]
Posts: 9515 | From: Delta Quadrant | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

M.M., have you checked w/ your physician re: guarding against (the usually inevitable during chemo) anemia? People tell me they think that's the part that made them "tiredest".

I daren't send you any of my energy, as it's particularly laid-back and que sera sera energy (translation: "lazy energy"?) [Paranoid]

So I'm praying for His for you.

--------------------

welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Miss Molly,

Have been watching all the unwrapping with great interest. Here is yet another musical offering which is an alternative version of Farther Along -see below( and I hope you don't mind me fiddling around with the lyrics). I am still yodelling my way to work every morning you see, and I tend to rewrite lyrics in my head while I am doing it...and I have spelt harbor what I think is the American way specially.

I have also been busy practising the macarena with Judy - she is much better at it than me - and we were having a go at it in the Cafe the other night. On line dancing...And I am also practising shouting "WooHoo" which seems to be the appropriate exclamation. Maybe I should buy some pompoms...

I need to ask your advice at some stage about stocks and shares - I know nothing you know about these things..I thought perhaps I could find a company that dealt in corsets... or maybe hats... or catfood...actually maybe a champagne vineyard would nice...

Now let me see [Two face] [Yipee] [Killing me] Woohoo [Two face] [Yipee] [Killing me] Woohoo

*twiddles pompoms*

Bye for now

xxWD

Farther Along (ship version)

Tempted and tried, we're
Oft made to wonder.
Sometimes the salt wind
Gets in your eye.
We're a cre-ew sailing
On our hearts' true quest.
We'll understand it
All bye and bye.

CHORUS
Farther along we'll
know all about it
Farther along we'll
Understand why.
Cheer up m-y shipmates,
Live in the sunshine.
We'll understand it
All bye and bye

Many a-a storm wind,
Many a high wave,
Many a tempest,
Many a chore.
Truth is ou-r compass,
Faith is our lifeline,
Hope is our ration,
Till we reach shore.

We have many questions
We are still searching
Love is our engine
T(o) understand why
One uncloudy day we'll
Find a blue harbor
One day drop anchor
B(e)neath a clear sky.

Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

[Love]

It is about 70 degrees here this morning. I have a window on the south side open and Fearless is sunning in the sill. She is curious about all the falling leaves; every one catches her attention. mommie will be so busy later raking them all into bags.... [Roll Eyes]

Rest well.
Hugs, Bess and purrs, Fearless

--------------------
—dialogue from Primer

Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

- Posted      Profile for Willyburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nunc Dimittis:
Miss Molly I miss you on MSN... [Frown]

So do I, Molly. We've had such nice chats. I miss just seeing your icon up because then I know you're at the other end.

I'll be out of town for training next week and may not have much chance to be online. I will check every chance I get though.

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--
Why is it that every time I go out to buy bookshelves, I come home with more books?

Posts: 835 | From: Arizona, US | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Miss Molly,
The rain has finally arrived here in OR and it's a good day to run on the ship! Yes, I too donated to the quilt and am so glad that you have it! My signature for me is in Tengwar elvish in case that information didn't make it all the way to you! And the square with the light blue 'silvery stars' in the corner and the snowy fields at night. I still have some of that fabric and will always remember you when I see it.... I hope that your tiredness is a gentle and peaceful one, held in the palm of the Father's hand, rocked to sleep in the scent of His love.
Peace be all around you and within you,
Lady A

Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eanswyth

Ship's raven
# 3363

- Posted      Profile for Eanswyth   Email Eanswyth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello Miss Molly,

I've not written to you before but have been blessed by reading what you have written.

Like Lady A, I am finally seeing rain. San Diego had one of its driest years ever and this long, slow, gentle drizzle has been a Godsend. Things look so much cleaner after being rinsed by Heaven.

Looking forward to reading more from you.

With fond affection,
Eanswyth

Posts: 1323 | From: San Diego | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  18  19  20 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016