homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Glory   » Fields of Gold (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  18  19  20 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fields of Gold
St. Sebastian

Staggering ever onward
# 312

- Posted      Profile for St. Sebastian   Email St. Sebastian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The pictures of Herself receiving the Quilt will be online at Sam's Club until 12/9. If you didn't get an email inviting you to the album and would like to see the pictures, email me and I'll see that you do. I'm afraid there are some pictures of my cats, too, because they were on one of the rolls.

--------------------
St. Seb

In Spite of Everything: Yes.

Posts: 962 | From: Burlington, North Carolina | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello Molly, I have been meaning to write, but the highlight of my day yesterday was defrosting the fridge and I wasn't sure if this revelation might not be a little too exciting and saucy for those who read this thread.

Since I moved I have really been getting into cooking, and yesterday I made a meat and quince stew. Everyone warned me that quinces were things best left alone, and horribly bitter, but I bought a fat yellow one at the Covered Market in Oxford out of curiosity. They have a delightful scent which I hadn't expected and I am told you can have them in a basket to scent up the room. I can now tell you that the stew I made turned out to be delicious and quinces aren't bitter at all, and I'll definitely be making this again. A much under-estimated fruit I think.

I also roasted some chestnuts last night. I haven't had these in years, and had forgotten the pleasure of trying to peel them hot from the oven, and the nutty, faintly spicy flavour. Washed down with a glass of cider (mulled for preference) it's the perfect thing for a dismal winter's evening. And dismal is right: it's raining again, the fields have become flat shining lakes perilously close to the railway tracks, and the hills I can normally see from my window are veiled in three shades of mist and look like something out of a Chinese painting. We've been promised gales and localized flooding, so who knows, perhaps I won't be able to get to work tomorrow. [Yipee]

Sorry I don't have a cute cat anecdote to cheer you up, unless you want to hear about how I chased one out of the dustbins yesterday, but that's about all I have to tell you for now. Glad you liked the quilt and looking forward to seeing the photos. I was very touched by the idea that you will use it at the last, it's the closest some of us will come to giving you a hug, but I am sure it will make all of us, not just you, feel better. Take care and all the best as always.

welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello Miss Molly,

I do apologise for being so noisy yesterday, so I shall curtail the singing and dancing, and I do hope I didn't disturb you when you were trying to rest.

I have had an enjoyable day, largely because I got to go shopping and have found a see through black lace blouse that I like - that would look very fetching with a corset underneath- I do like corsets [Smile] - but also because I very much enjoyed the services I went to. It is Remembrance Sunday, when we are commemorating the tragedy of World War by wearing a red poppy on our chests and I was so pleased that my local church managed to make a day of unity out of the memory of war by getting 3 local churches to worship together. I was also thrilled to discover that there is a hotbed of this shape note singing in this very parish so I am going to make a point of going along and finding out more about it [Smile] .

It's great that Ariel's abode is being sweetly scented by her quince. I bought one the year before last after reading Jane Grigson's description. Apparently they were the sweetmeats of kings and are famed for their lovely smell. The reality wasn't quite as glamorous as the wretched things are as hard as concrete, almost impossible to peel and take hours to cook, but they are very nice in apple pie, which is part of my "very special invalid appetite tempting" repertoire.

Wishing you a cosy comfortable restful day, sweetly scented by love if not by quinces

WDxxx

Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chorister's songs, part 2.

The first quaver on my quilt square stands for 'Lord thy word abideth' which I have already told you about.

The second is for something we are practising for the festival in Exeter Cathedral on Saturday, and which I shall sing for you. The tune is Penlan and the words are by Anna Laetitia Waring:

In heavenly love abiding,
No change my heart shall fear;
And safe is such confiding,
For nothing changes here:
The storm may roar without me,
My heart may low be laid;
But God is round about me,
And can I be dismayed?

Wherever he may guide me,
No want shall turn me back;
My Shepherd is beside me,
And nothing can I lack:
His wisdom ever waketh,
His sight is never dim;
He knows the way he taketh,
And I will walk with Him.

Green Pastures are before me,
Which yet I have not seen;
Bright skies will soon be o'er me
Where the dark clouds have been;
My hope I cannot measure,
My path to life is free;
My Saviour has my treasure,
And He will walk with me.

There will be about 300 choristers from all over Devon in the Cathedral singing in a massed choir, plus the congregation who join in all the hymns. So this time you should be able to hear us over in America (5.15pm service, UK time).

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I love that one too. We used to sing it at school (don't know that it meant much to a bunch of 10-year olds, though).

Miss Molly, yesterday was Thanksgiving Day in our church. (Our vicar and his wife are from California.) It's around the time we started, and every year we have a gift day and a time to thank God for His blessings over the past year. People were invited to the microphone to thank God for particular things. The church have heard all about the saga of making the quilt, and have been praying for you, so no-one was surprised when you were one of my 'particular things'!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beethoven

Ship's deaf genius
# 114

- Posted      Profile for Beethoven   Email Beethoven   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Molly dearest,

I'll email you properly later, but for now I just have to say we had a good weekend, and the parish looks lovely [Yipee] Just waiting for the bishop's approval now...

The bunnies send you lots of love and whiffles, and the cats say they would love to stomp all over your lap before settling down to purr there all afternoon [Smile]

God bless you, Molly

Beets

--------------------
Who wants to be a rock anyway?

toujours gai!

Posts: 1309 | From: Here (and occasionally there) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miss_Molly

Toujours gai
Beloved
# 2339

- Posted      Profile for Miss_Molly   Email Miss_Molly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear friends, dear shipmates, thank you all for your kind thoughts. I have not been able to post for a while, due to weariness and queasiness, but I am better today, and shall do my best to give you thanks and news.

I am thinking today of the all the wars, and all the veterans, and of those serving in their country's defense forces. I especially am thinking of my father, and Dolphy's, who I know are veterans, but I am sure many more shipmates' fathers, uncles, grandfathers were in the armed forces, and possibly even some older shipmates were, too. I am praying that our own Mid may never have to use his naval skills in a war, and for his safety if it should come to that. Today in America, flags will be flying, speeches will be made, concerts will be played, but surely the truest recollection, and honor, as well as the sweet music of affection are in our hearts.

Ariel, thank you, as always for an evocative description. I am glad the quinces pleased and that the chestnuts and wine made for a cozy, old-fashioned evening. Never fear, I read your description of the cat's doings in Tony K's domain. [Smile]

Welsh Dragon, I love your ship's hymn! Indeed, "hope is our ration, 'til we reach shore". I was amused at the thought of you yelling "woo-hoo", mentally picturing you and Jedi dancing. Thank you also for the elegantly depicted dragon square. It is quite a fierce-looking dragon, you know, and at first I wondered if I should be afraid. Then I noticed the dragon's fiery breath is in the shape of a heart, and knew the great beast was my friend.

Janine, thank you for your query regarding possible anemia as a source of my weariness. I had several injections to correct anemia, and my red blood count is okay; the problem is that the cancer uses the energy available for its growth. Thank you also for the two music links! I laughed at the furry instruments and had great fun making them sing '50's doowop style. I am reserving the other link for a particularly grey day; I know it will cheer me.

Nunc, I am glad we had the chance to talk for awhile recently; I had missed you, too.

Willyburger, I will look forward to chatting to you again as well.

Kingsfold, I don't know if you ever received a thank-you for your card back in August. I really appreciated its delicate goodwill. Thank you for your quilt square as well.

Golden_Key, thank you for the two poems. I have loved "Crossing the Bar" since early adolescence. The other poem is new, but lovely.

Gill H, Hugal, and Chorister, thank you for the musical squares! I look on your notes with great affection. Thank you Chorister for the lyrics; I know you will sing beautifully.

Smudgelets, thank you for your lovely picture of the giant sunflower and the lovely potted plant, also your portraits and signatures. I miss talking to you on messenger, but someday we will chat again. Give you dear mother a big hug for me, will you, boys?

Atlanta, your script is so graceful; it is like swirls in an ocean wave. Thank you for your serene square.

Lady A, thank you for your elegantly calligraphed tengwar greeting. Alas, I am no scholar of the elven tongue! Could you favor me with a translation?

Thank you, Bessie, for an account of the leaves and Fearless' thoughts. I often communicate with her via her picture you know, but she had not told me about the leaves.

Beenster, I love your cheerful, witty bee.

Unshaggy and Daybreak, thank you for the square you sent, which was not shaggy, but does break sunshine in my room.

Soggy Amphibian, thank you for your reminder to have fun! I hope you have as much as I do.

Sean and Bronwyn, never apart, indeed signing your square as Seanwyn, I hope your unity continues to give you happiness and strength and confer blessings on others in your new home.

A hostly square from Tony K.! I must rate! Thank you, kind stablekeeper of my favorite Dead Horses.

Dear Marchioness, known to shipmates as Miffy, thank you for your square. I hope the new bath fittings continue to give satisfaction!

And last in this posting, but never least, dear Joyful Noise, my first friend aboard, thank you for your expression of affection and prayer.

The latest from my peaceful, sweet abode:

My mother and sister went home last Thursday morning. They labored late into Wednesday night working out how to hang a certain quilt to best advantage, with a special set of hangers my sister had found which in no way damage the fabric, staining a pair of knick-knack shelves, so small oddments of mine could be displayed, hanging a guardian angel chime in my bedroom doorway, and doing laundry. My efforts to tell them that Rome wasn't decorated in a day, and that I could manage the laundry fell on deaf ears. Note to self: buy mother and sister hearing aids. They arrived safely in Aurora on Friday. My mother, thank goodness, remains fairly well, not ill again as I feared she would be from her exertions. My sister has been busy clearing up the back yard for winter.

I spent Thursday, Friday, Saturday and most of Sunday in a doze, interrupted by rousing to eat or drink a little, or tend to other urgent needs only. I took the first three doses of my oral chemotherapy agent, but I decided not to take it Saturday or Sunday night, because I was so queasy and tired already. I just didn't feel able to put up with more. I have been trying to straighten out my digestion, however, in hopes of tolerating the medication tonight. At least, I now am at my usual degree of weariness, not the sort of walking coma I seemed to be in earlier.

St Sebastian has checked on me often, and of course would help me in any way I need. My friend Marian also is attentive. Today she came over and baked me a lovely bread pudding. It was more like a fruit cake actually. It used stale bread, eggs, milk, and vanilla but also citron and lemon peel, dried cranberries, egg nog for moistening and a touch of amaretto. It is very rich and good.

Dear friends, I will sign off now, knowing you will sail well in either fair or foul weather, because you have such stout and loving hearts. God bless you all.

--------------------
"I come from a state that raises corn, and cockleburrs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me"

Congressman Willard Duncan Vandiver at a naval banquet in Philadelphia, 1899

Posts: 1242 | From: home | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Miss_Molly:
<snip>
A hostly square from Tony K.! I must rate! Thank you, kind stablekeeper of my favorite Dead Horses.
<snip>

A very minor contribution, Molly my dear - and I know that other hosts contributed!

But you can imagine how proud I was when I saw that the skilled hands which assembled the UK part had put my sig. directly under the SoF logo!

Glad it arrived safely - and that the secret did not get out!

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am so glad you are continuing to enjoy the quilt... one thing you should know, if you want to put it on your lap or on the bed... it is completely machine washable and dryable. Like people that are trying to love in the best way, it can take a little abuse... fear not the orange juice, the TV dinner, the breakfast in bed (or even the breakfast no longer in the breakfaster). It doesn't need molly-coddling... we just hope it will molly-coddle molly!

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have no quilts at my house that are hung up & admired. I've used them that way for ladies' day decor @ church, but not at home. I haven't much decor of any sort at home. When I craft something I usually give it away. (Saves me from the nerve-wracking business of protecting the item from my boisterous kids and husband.)

A sweet half-size 'tied' one, given to my youngest when he was born (and showing repaired signs of his love since) lies on a director's chair, under the cat, under the carport, out of the drizzle, right now. Mr. Kitty has adopted it as his throne-cover, his surveying-spot comforter.

You might like Mr. Kitty. He's a tom, about two years old now. You know the silver-cream-colored, striped-at-the-extremities look of a Siamese cross? That's him, Paul Newman blue eyes and all. If he were 'pointed' rather than 'tigered' he'd be a seal-point.

And, thanks to the Siamese blood I guess, he talks a lot. I like a cat to talk a lot. Lets me know what he's up to when out of eyeshot.

My youngest, Joe, named him 'Meowth' in his kittenhood, after a Pokemon character. He does look rather like Meowth. But, the name didn't stick, only the vet has it on record now.

I've called him Mr. Kitty a-purpose, as it is humorous to me, this delicate prissy name, 'Kitty', on a great beefy hulking lion-jowled tomcat.

He's a good cat. Never sprays in the house, seldom anywhere near it. (His territory encompasses enough space so that I don't smell it, out there on his borders, where he does leave scent...) Never claws the furniture (hard to get a grip on my caramel velour sectional, I guess, so he never began).

We live amidst bayous, canals, cane fields, woods, and new house construction, so one would think there'd be plenty of disturbed mice and field rats trying to come in for the winter, as they did when I was a girl between the cane and Bayou Terrbonne in Schriever, La.

Also, my flower bed out front is the jungle gym of dozens of green/brown anole lizards by day and pale geckos by night, wasps and hummingbirds by day, and startingly large moths by night.

So, where are the critters that ought to be longing for the comforts of my bed, pantry, ceiling lights and broom closet? Nowhere, thanks be to God and to Mr. Kitty!

We would love our Mr. Kitty anyway, but he sure earns his keep.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
P.S. Ariel re: Quinces

My favorite canned brand of tropical fruit salad has white chunks in it, looking remarkably like pear, but with the texture & "bite" of perhaps a jicama.

These are supposed to be the quince bits, at least I think so after I rule out the other identifiable stuff. I like them. I've only recently started to see them in the produce section at my usual grocery.

I'd love to have a recipe to stew them with meat. Pork or venison would be lovely.

Email me your recipe, please pretty please with quinces on top?

--------------------

Duo Seraphim*
Sea lawyer
# 3251

- Posted      Profile for Duo Seraphim*   Email Duo Seraphim*       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
[QB]P.S. Ariel re: Quinces

My favorite canned brand of tropical fruit salad has white chunks in it, looking remarkably like pear, but with the texture & "bite" of perhaps a jicama.

These are supposed to be the quince bits, at least I think so after I rule out the other identifiable stuff. QB]

The quinces I know have a thin yellow peel, a delicious scent that does indeed fill a room and stew down after 3 hours or so to a beautiful rich ruby colour. Somewhere I have a Tudor recipe for "queynce counfette" or stewed quinces, but I do think quinces would be a lovely addition to a venison stew. The Spanish also eat a quince paste with cheese.

The loveliest thing I saw this last weekend was at the Rose Festival at Kennerton Green, an eight acre garden about an hour and a half drive south of Sydney. There is a round lake there with japanese water irises growing in it and bearded iris in apricot and white all around the edge. There are roses there too, trained up pillars and along steel cable, so that the entire lake is crowned with a living scented rope of perfect pink roses.

A friend of mine jokingly said of the garden to a lady loitering near the reception "It's so wonderfully indulgent, it's obscene!"
"Yes" the lady chuckled "I'm a lucky old thing aren't I." It was the owner, Maralynn Abbott - and she is.

--------------------
2^8, eight bits to a byte

Posts: 3967 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll write out the meat and quince stew recipe tonight - I adapted it from a Moroccan one and involves, among other things, cinnamon, saffron, and wine. The quinces when chopped up small don't take more than half an hour to become tender and soak up the flavour beautifully.
Miss_Molly

Toujours gai
Beloved
# 2339

- Posted      Profile for Miss_Molly   Email Miss_Molly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear shipmates, dear friends. It is a peaceful middle of the night here, except for some thoughtless person who keeps coughing! I really must put some cough syrup on her computer desk as a subtle hint! I hope your days, late afternoons, or various watches of the night are passing in a towardly fashion, as well.

Thank you, dear Chukovsky, for the reassurance of the quilts washability. It is on my wall at present so I can admire its artistry. I will continue to try to be careful of it for my mother's sake. The day after I received it, we were talking over my will as she is in charge of my few bequests. She was eying it very wistfully, and asked who was to receive it upon my death. I told her, of course she was, if she would like. Her eyes were glinting with tears as she said she would like it very much.

I appreciate the difficulties of maintaining decor in a house full of people, ma cher Janine! It is an advantage of old maidhood that I can keep things nice! Thanks for the portrait of Mr Kitty, his ways and deeds, and for the sketch of your surroundings.

To continue my thank-you tour of the squares:

Thanks, Birdie for your smiley! It goes so well with the cheerful yellow strip they made on your patch.

Likewise, PaulC. It is amazing how different and characteristic a smiley becomes when hand drawn. Yours is yours alone, different to dear Birdie's.

Ariel, dear Sprite, your handwriting is clear, and scholarly, just what I would expect from the author of your posts. Thank you for the good wishes!

And thanks to you, too, Stephen. I like to imagine your little green car has just tootled off the edge of your square.

What can I say about your jolly square, Tigglet? It is orange and black and bouncey! Thank you!

Thank you, Aardvark, for your patch! I wondered what an aardvark would do to sign. However, I see that the penmanship lessons given your kind have borne fruit.

And Dolphy has managed to hold a pen between her flippers, and even to draw (not too fishy) kisses. Thank you, dear aquatic friend.

Viola, your signature looks as though it is tuning up to play something. I am sure it is a lovely piece. The way "V" swoops makes me think of this.

And what can be said about Rowen, the "wonder from Down Under"? Thank you so much, those of you who chased her over the length and breadth of the UK, waving a scrap of cloth, so I could have her signature, too.
Someone asked me last night to identify the two ladies in my photo shoot. They are none other than my mother and sister. If my sister looks unhappy in the pictures, it is because she was so tired, and her mind was on the projects she felt she still must complete before departure.

I was trying to mug for you in several of the photos, especially the ones with the knife. I had my best "mad scientist about to operate" expression on my face, but I see I simply look mad. Perhaps the picture of me with my head in the cardboard chapeau is the safest one! However, I hope you can tell how much fun I had opening the box.

Goodnight from me now. God bless you all.

--------------------
"I come from a state that raises corn, and cockleburrs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me"

welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello again Molly,

I am in the hospital library and taking a quick break from some report writing. It is a sunny day, which is an unexpected blessing at this time of year, and light is streaming in through the window and slanting across the library floor. I have a thing about libraries that goes right back to childhood when my Dad used to take me (on his shoulders) as a treat on Saturdays with him.

Outside I can see woodlands, bare branches starkly sillouetted against the clouds illuminated like cotton wool heaven in the Autumn sky.(And a more shady moment now as the sun steps back for a minute).

The view reminds me of some watercolour prints I saw at Taize where the countryside was bleak but very truthful in its starkness - but you know that the bare branches are going to bud again and bear flowers and fruit - and the quiet drabness of winter has its own melody and value and simple beauty too.

I am sitting here -thinking of you - and hoping that I am going to find out where these photos have been put on the world wide web sometime soon so I can compare them with your account of the glamorous photo shoot.

Hope you are having a good sleep back in Utah - or waking up to a comfortable and welcoming world and not in any pain or discomfort.

Take care Molly

WDxx

Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Janine,
It is a Church of Christ that my in-laws belong to. My brother-in-law leads the singing sometimes with a sort of pan pipe to get the right key to start with!

At school in Scotland, we had to learn sol-fa sight singing. But we had ordinary shaped notes and had to translate them into sol-fa.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
soggy_amphibian
Shipmate
# 2487

- Posted      Profile for soggy_amphibian   Author's homepage   Email soggy_amphibian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glad you liked the square, Miss Molly!
I hope the hamster ball [Smile] will be a source of comfort to your mother and a reminder of how much you've meant to a lot of people.
I don't find it easy to deal with death or, possibly because of that, relate to the dying. There have been quite a few times when I've thought of posting on here, but not quite seen how I could. The way you're so open and honest about it, and with such bravery (even the bravery to admit when you haven't been brave!) is so humbling. (which is probably a good thing, humility isn't really my strong point).
You're beloved of us, and even though there'll be days when you doubt it, God has His arms around you and is smiling at you, and is preparing you a very special room in Heaven (where you'll be allowed lots of cats! [Smile] )
May God really bless you in your remaining time here, and may He keep the worst of the pain off you.
[Love] [Not worthy!] [Love]

--------------------
Buffy: I don't like you hanging out with someone that... short.
Riley: Yeah, a lot of young people nowadays are experimenting with shortness.

Posts: 712 | From: Back at home | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

- Posted      Profile for Willyburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Molly,

I too want to thank you for the courage you have shown in the stark face of death. We dress it up and make it pretty and acceptable but it still is an ending that must be walked by unalloyed and annealed faith. We can thrash out philosophies and near-death experiences all day, but still we must face the void with nothing but our faith to sustain us.

I'm presently away from home and family and stuck at the end of this crappy modem. I miss the chance to chat with you. I can't even get my IM client to work properly. [Smile] [Frown] It has given me much time to just lurk and think.

You and I have supported our patients and their families in the face of death. As hard as that was, it can't be as hard as what you're facing now. I am truly humbled by the courage and humility with which you are facing this.

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--
Why is it that every time I go out to buy bookshelves, I come home with more books?

Posts: 835 | From: Arizona, US | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bronwyn
Shipmate
# 52

- Posted      Profile for Bronwyn   Email Bronwyn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Miss Molly,
We are finally in Melbourne, but at someones house who does not have MSN [Ultra confused] I will ask them if I can install it, as we are going to be here a while, whilst Sean sorts our house.
It is quite warm and Sean seems to be settling in ok but I was a bit worried about him as today he went out to explore the public transport system all by himself. Still he took a map. There are a few hundred things to sort like a tax number, and joint bank accounts, phone lines to install, buying a new vaccum cleaner as the person I loaned it to broke it [Mad] and it is hard to know if it was one of two people, or it may have happened anyway. Also Sean has no way of getting money unless I give him cash so I am following him everywhere, and paying in credit. We need to buy him a bike which is fine except it has one seller here in Melbourne who was unhelpful but we then managed to get another person to order one in.
Things I thought I kept I must have thrown out, so we are furously trying to work out what we need. I start work tomorrow too, the old workplace.
Pakistan was wonderful, but both feeling like we need to have our own home now. still it wont be long now. Ready for the Melbourne meet. We are painting and sorting something Sean discribes as severe wood rot, as well as many tasks over the last six years of owning it I never fixed.
Oh I must tell you here, the Exeter meet we had which they put us in a smoking area and I kicked up a fuss about sent me twenty pounds to spend in their pub, with sincere apoliges. I have passed it on to Star and Amanda to use at the next ship meet(might buy a round of drinks before going elsewhere for food).
Drinking heaps of red and green cordial which are not avaliable in the UK.
Well the others will be back soon better make it look like I did something today!

Posts: 1221 | From: Melbourne (Australia) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Dearest Dame Molly,
Sorry that I have not posted here for a few days but, as you know, I have been pretending to be an academic! It was a hard couple of days but I came through in one piece.
A bizzare moment happened on the way home however; I was sitting having a glass of wine in the hotel before boarding the train home when my mobile phone rang, it was Beethoven! She was wondering how things had gone and was phoning to have a general hat; anyway, just as we got into conversation Fields of Gold started to play on the bar stereo... how bizzare was that?!!!

Anyway, it is nice to be home!
We all send our love and hugs.
As ever,
Dolphy, J, Jessie and Brandy. xxx

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

Silly question:

Ah... what's a general hat?

I'm often left to wonder if something's a misspelling or a typo (I've begotten plenty of those)...

Or a regional American colloquialism...

Or a Britishism or an Aussieism...

Or my simple, thick self, not "getting it".

I'm off to that women's retreat I've been gearing up for, Friday lunchtime. I kept imagining it was not until month's end, but I was wroooooong.

So, my little fun projects (Molly's 2nd & 3rd tapes of comedy & voice, and some southern/country/western gospel for a certain dark & fair lady) will have to simmer back-burner for another 5 days or so.

Blessings on all Molly's posters & lurkers, her family & friends near her, and especially upon The Molly.

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
Silly question:

Ah... what's a general hat?

A general hat is a hat you wear when you feel like it which is suitable for pretty well any occasion. Dolphy hasn't said much about this in public on SoF but she is actually quite a talented needlewoman, and often makes things for her friends, so when Beethoven rang up for a general hat, she knew she could rely on Dolphy to make her one, and a good one.

(If you check your PMs, Janine, you should find a recipe for quince and beef stew. If anyone else wants it (it has wine, saffron, cinnamon, etc in it) drop me a line and let me know.)

Sorry, Molly, didn't mean to divert your thread. I really don't have any news to tell you, except that it's still raining, and the evil cat has wisely gone into hiding. Of course, it might just be biding its time and plotting something unpleasant involving dustbins and joyriding again. I shall let you know if it does anything interesting. Take care and all the best as always.

Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Miss Molly,
I must confess to some help with the signature in elvish...I didn't have a signature scrap and so did it off the computer and sent along to Michele with my square. It says Lady A, of course! With hopes that one day you will arrive at the Grey Havens and travel by ship with wondrous shipmates into the west.....
Love always,
Lady A

Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Miss_Molly

Toujours gai
Beloved
# 2339

All my dear shipmates, how wonderful you are! How faithful you are in posting your greetings and prayers, wordpictures and allusions that make me smile, even when I am goofing off, lazing in my bed or chair. Please know that even if I do not manage to post every day, not a day goes by that does not contain prayers for my dear companions on this voyage.

To continue the thank-you tour of my quilt: (I look at it and smile every morning before I get out of bed, and I touch it on my way to getting the day going!)

Another graceful penwoman is Adrienne. I begin to think that the teaching of the Palmer Method of penmanship in the USA is a mistake, since most Americans have abysmal handwriting, and you all have such lovely signatures.

Distinctly unFreudian is Sigmund's signature. No couch or cigar. Perhaps he is another kind of Sigmund? I enjoy his patch anyway.

I rather think Clare is responsible not only for the patch she has signed, but for its neighbor. These are a cheerful orange and white. One looks rather like blood cells tumbling about. I have chosen to view it as booster red cells. Thank you. Clare.

Margaret, I smile every time I see Smudge and Katie, with their little embroidered faces and their satin-stitched markings! Thank you for this pleasure, and please stroke them for me.

I am glad to hear the women's retreat is Friday, Janine. I shall be watching eagerly for an account of their reception of "Pharoah"!

And Ariel, and others posting about quinces, I am very interested. The other night I was wondering about a vague memory I had of a photo of a stew that had yellow things in it. And I seemed to remember quinces were red inside. So, suspicions confirmed. Now, if someone can tell me if they sometimes are stuck full of cloves before they are put in a stew! By the way, Ariel, I am sorry I mistakenly typed wine for cider in thinking about your evening with the chestnuts. I am sure they would be better with cider. I have never eaten chestnuts, except in a bread dressing my mother was prevailed upon to prepare one year. (For an elderly relative. We always have sage, onion, and giblet dressing when left to our own devices.) She encountered great difficulty in peeling and dicing them, and I cannot say the dressing drew rave reviews in regard to taste, although Uncle Alex enjoyed it.

Beethoven, the length of time it took me to write my post caused me to miss yours last time. I am so glad to hear the good news. My prayers continue for you in this regard, and for Baby B at her new birth into the Church.

However it was managed, Lady A, your square is elegant. Thank you for your unusual idea.

Welsh Dragon, I too love libraries. I have many happy memories of the little library I went to as a child. My parents took me twice a week. I loved the low tables and chairs and the window seats in the children's section. My idea of perfume is still books, paste and wood! The only disappointing thing was the limit on books I could have at one time.... I am glad you have a lovely library to work in. The tree that is my special one is bare now, too, but still lovely and somehow friendly. Have you had a chance to wear the lacey garment yet, or must that wait until spring? Inquiring minds want to know, as the slogan is!

I am glad to report that Willyburger and I had a chat last night. He is laboring away at a conference in Colorado, but seemed in fair spirits.

I had some good news a few hours ago. My sister-in-law called to say she and my brother would be coming to see me. They expect to arrive Friday evening. This is just about perfect timing, as the house is still lustrous from my mother's and sister's ministrations [Big Grin] My brother is having a very hard time with all of this, so it is especially brave of him to come tackle things head on. Please pray that this visit is a comfort to him. I really feel my sister-in-law is supporting him in all this, and I am grateful to her for her love for me and for her husband.

Bronwyn, thanks for your post regarding your safe arrival and taking up housekeeping in Oz. I hope the wood rot responds to Sean's measures, and that Sean himself does not get lost. I am sure your old colleagues were glad to see you back.

I want to say just a word to all of you who lurk and then decide to post. I know it is hard to do this. I want to say how much I appreciate hearing from you. A number of people in my mundane life have not been in contact with me, because, according to other friends, "they can't think of what to say". So, I am gradually calling them. You all seem to know perfectly what to say: "I am sorry for your trouble. I am praying for you. Maybe this story would interest you or amuse you." If you have any friends in mundane life who are in "trouble" of whatever major variety, please be sure that what you say to me will also be welcomed by them. No one needs to come up with an epic poem, or develop a new vocabulary, or wear special clothes, etc., to talk to someone who is dying. That person just needs his or her friends assurance of caring and prayer, and some news, jokes, interesting information, etc. One's own illness is very tedious and boring indeed, at least for most people. (I know there is a certain type of person for whom it becomes a new and absorbing career! I know you can adapt to this, too.) It is good to have information from the wider world, and progress reports from friends' lives. Your lives are precious to me; I like to think of them going on after I have left. I like to think of marriages and children for those who are unmarried but looking, new careers or progress/recognition in careers for my talented shipmates, happy holidays, pets bringing joy, children I feel I know growing up into wonderful young adults, and happy changes in all areas of life. If some changes are not so happy initially, I know that the courage and faith of shipmates will turn these changes to their good as well. So, kudoes to you all for knowing what I need, and so generously supplying it!

My love, and my prayers for rich blessings to you all.

--------------------

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Morning Molly,

A quick note before I whizz off to face the day. Although I have been up and about since about 5.30 our time,(incriminating evidence on the boards!). Mephi is rather confused, for of course this meant breakfast several hours earlier than normal. He's now curled up beside 'Little Dell.' With any luck he'll not notice me edging quietly out of the front door in 30 mins time.

The Miffy household is bracing itself for the much planned Ms Miffy's 16th birhday party on Saturday night. The 'real' day is tomorrow. She'll be at school at 9.32 am - the time at which 16 years ago she made her way into the world amidst National Childbirth Trust breathing exercises (Mr M)and copious swearing (me!). Her first action after having airways de-gunked, was to liberally decorate Mr M's shirt front and trousers with meconium. He, of course, has this incident carefully filed away in his "embarrassing tales to relate to future boyfriends" file!

Tomorrow evening she'll be taking part in her school house evening, singing, orchestra, directing Roald Dahl's alternative version of The Three Little Pigs, and repeating her virtuoso, and entirely authentic performance as the french guard in Monty Python and the Holy Grail!

As to the party, a Murder Mystery event is planned for the first half. This has involved much sorting of evidence, looking through the plot, and allocating 'celebrity' characters to the guests. As all the guests are 16 yrs or under, Ms M has substituted more 'up-to-date' personalities for such 'unknowns' as Jack Kerouac, Jackie Onassis, Marlene Dietrich, and Jimi Hendrix!!! Mercifully, Marilyn Monroe has been allowed to stay.

This, she says, will take up the first few hours. Then comes the real party. Please pray that we all come through it with house intact (could do with you to organise the clear-up teams!), and with the same number of grey hairs as when we started. [Yipee]

Signing off now. Best wishes and prayers to you.

Miffy

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Miss_Molly:
I rather think Clare is responsible not only for the patch she has signed, but for its neighbor. These are a cheerful orange and white. One looks rather like blood cells tumbling about. I have chosen to view it as booster red cells. Thank you. Clare.

Clare is responsible not only for those two but for all the (four? five?) patches that have been drawn on... she was very self-effacing about it all (kick me now, Clare) and just asked for fabric and pens so she could have a relaxing time drawing, "just fit them in if you can", she said. But we had plenty of space (partly because we were doing it so quickly that we couldn't get hold of lots of people - this is why there are some patches that are just a whole square of patterned fabric) so all the drawings were put in.

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Miss Molly, I went straight from reading your message to the bedroom, where the cats were asleep on the bed recovering from the exertion of eating their breakfast, to give them your strokes. Katie miouwed enthusiastically - she's a very articulate cat, and I'm sure was sending you her thanks and love. Smudge is more the strong silent type but looked very appreciative, so I think his sister spoke for him too.

I'm glad you liked the patch. I hadn't embroidered anything for ages, but I loved doing it (and think I ought to start embroidering again) and I'm so glad it gives you pleasure!

Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good evening, Miss Molly, from an amazingly soggy London. We have had showers of whole water at irregular intervals, and then golden sunshine.

There was a double rainbow spread out wonderfully above the wet and grimy buildings when I went to work this afternoon. It was so bright and cheerful that it made me feel really happy.

Does a double rainbow mean that God doubles his promises to us?

A teenager told me today that she had been warned by her boss at work that her bright chestnut red dyed hair was not acceptable to the company she was working for. (Think famous underwear [Wink] )

I think she looked great. Not even as if she had gone tiger-striped.

Is this a UK thing (or just that particular manager) or would it happen in the US of A?

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

You would find individual managers speaking against the odd hair all over the world, depending upon the type of employment...

And it's just brilliant rich red hair, yes? Not fire-engine-fire-cracker-red-crayon red?

I've done mine plum black, blackberry, burgundy brown, etc., but the one time it was 'unnatural', it was platinum blonde scalp-to ends, with brilliant cardinal red for the last inch or two. I wasn't sure the church or the job could handle it, so I "beiged" it a little, went blonde for 6 wks or so.

--------------------

Miss_Molly

Toujours gai
Beloved
# 2339

Dear Shipmates, I am signing in a bit early tonight, as I must rise a little earlier tomorrow!

Thank you Daisy May for the account of a rainbowy day in London. May it mean double blessings for you. I have been meaning to thank you as well for your tact in commenting on Eastern Star. Without in any way compromising your position anent Masonic and Masonic related bodies, which I have found on another thread, you avoided any possibility of hurting my feeling! Emboldened by your courtesy, may I be very curious and ask you in what language your signature is, and what its meaning might be?

Thank you, Chukovsky, for enlightening me regarding the other marker decorated squares. I enjoy them all very much indeed, Clare. I think my favorite may be the Star.

Ma cher Janine, you never cease to amaze me! I had never thought of you with such imaginative hair colorings. I am sure you brought a bright spot of interest to many people's grey days.

Daisy May, the issue of hair color depends on the type of employment. People working in stylish clothing shops, record stores, etc., have a lot more latitude than those working at McDonald's or in a law office. A young friend of mine, enamored of Japanese anime, decided he wanted navy blue hair last summer. This took some doing as he is naturally blond, but eventually he had the look he wanted. He was able to enjoy it only briefly before it all had to be bleached out to comply with his church-related high school's ban on unnaturally colored hair!

Continuing the thank you tour of the fabulous and supernaturally comforting comforter, we come to a square prepared by QLib, which is regal but has the common touch as well.

We come also to a square contributed by a daughter of Granuaile. Go raibh mile maith agat, a Chliona, mo stor geal. Is an blath alainn.

On the obverse of the quilt are some signatures of note as well! Thank you, Ham'n'Eggs for your signature and the hand print of Poached Egg. I wait with great eagerness for further accounts of her adventures in education.

DaveC kindly signed and drew his motorcycle, on which he so generously offered to let me travel pillion long ago. Thank you for reminding me of the fun we had in the start-up days of Tigglet's matchmaking thread.

Our esteemed Captain also signed! I am suitably humbled.

Someone named W sent a humorous drawing of herself making papers fly off a desk. What is the secret of your success, dear W? You should patent it.

Today was a fairly quiet day, dear friends. Well, quiet in terms of mobility for me, but perhaps not quiet if you asked my downstairs neighbor!

I decided I was in a Bruce Springsteen mood today, so I played Born in the USA and The River. I was very much in accord with the protagonist of Sherry Darling, whose life contains a significant other and her annoying sister, whom he must chauffeur around! Life has other prickles, irritations, sore spots and disappointments as well. In the chorus, he sings "But I got some beer and the highway's free, and I got you and you got me. Hey, hey, hey! Whaddaya say, Sherry darlin'?"

I would have been delighted to take off down the road with my own significant other and some beer, but I was listening to the Boss to get my mojo working in order to deal with the avian demise planned for me by various doctors' billing departments, i.e. being pecked to death by ducks!
I would cheerfully tell them all to go take a flying leap off a short pier, knowing they cannot possibly get their legal cases together to sue me before I pass beyond any human writ, but I have now made an official will. As well as my few bits and pieces, my mother will inherit any outstanding debts.

So I keep explaining my situation, filling out forms, and trying to be patient. I told one account representative today that I really had had no intention of cheating anyone. If I had known none of these procedures would be covered by Medicaid (as I was not Medicaid eligible at the time, which I did not know), I would have refused all of them and signed myself out of the hospital.

The form I am engaged in filling out at the moment asks for my monthly income and a list of all my expenses. I have to figure out a way to justify every dime I spend, or they will set up a monthly repayment plan from my income. The income is enough to keep me and to let me save a little for unforeseen emergencies. I also have money left over from the unexpected bank account pay out, which they will try to take, if I cannot justify keeping it. I am deeply amused at some of the questions on the form: list my automobiles(!), and my mortgage payment with the value of my house, and describe my efforts to find work! Can I say I have applied for work as a cross-post fixer on the endless sentence thread? I wonder!

However, all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.

My love to all of you, and wishes for a restful night, or a happy productive day. And special birthday wishes to Ms Miffy, who is Sweet 16! God bless her and make her a good and useful woman, who is much beloved by others. Virtual neck and shoulder rubs to the Marchioness, and Mr M (she is a Marchioness in her own right). I shall be around to clear things up late Saturday night, never fear.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Miss Molly, Dear St Sebastian, I am very much enjoying reading the details about the quilt, but I would love to see the picture of the presentation. I have not received any information on where to find it. Please could you help. [Confused]

This morning, Sarah Kennedy played Fields of Gold again and also Life is a Roller Coaster. That, together with Big Panty Woman, means I'm sure she is a secret Ship of Fools admirer!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Francesca Shelbellini
Shipmate
# 53

- Posted      Profile for Francesca Shelbellini     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
Dear Miss Molly, Dear St Sebastian, I am very much enjoying reading the details about the quilt, but I would love to see the picture of the presentation. I have not received any information on where to find it. Please could you help. [Confused]

Me too! I sent you an email, St. Seb, but haven't heard...

michelle

Posts: 109 | From: vancouver, bc, canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me too! And I would love to see the pictures.
DMarie

Ship's stray
# 2267

- Posted      Profile for DMarie   Email DMarie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me, too. I haven't posted to this thread but have read it through and want to add my prayers for Miss Molly. It's amazing how you can feel like you know someone without ever meeting them. I'd love to see the photos.
Posts: 163 | From: Canada | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

"I have been meaning to thank you as well for your tact in commenting on Eastern Star. Without in any way compromising your position anent Masonic and Masonic related bodies, which I have found on another thread, you avoided any possibility of hurting my feeling! Emboldened by your courtesy, may I be very curious and ask you in what language your signature is, and what its meaning might be?"

Oops! [Embarrassed] Here's where illegal sock-puppets would be useful.

The language is Hindi. It's a quote from a Hindi Christian bhajan (worship/praise song). it basically means, "I am the Messiah's" and is part of (rough translation) "Rejoice. Give praise to Jesus the Messiah. He was born for me, lived for me, died for me, rose for me. I am his and he is mine." All repeated at least twice to the vigorous clapping of hands, and finishing with a loud call and response.

My husband is Asian - mainly Nepali. So we have some variety of music around.

Day before yesterday my son took his sitar to our church nursery school to play to the little ones, teach them about the instrument and let them have a go playing it. You play it with a little wire triangle fastened over your finger, and he provided them with some baby ones. They apparently had a good time. He reckons a few of the three-year-olds could make good players as they touched it and twanged it sensitively. But it's twice their size!

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ms M asked me to say thank you for your kind birthday wishes, Molly. She will have a nice long lie-in tomorrow,and then, preparations for the party!

I was thinking about you tonight during the school house evening, where one of the girls sang us 'Fields of Gold.'

Must wind my way bedwards now. Tomorrow is going to be a long day!

love and prayers
Miffy

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dave the Bass
Shipmate
# 155

- Posted      Profile for Dave the Bass   Email Dave the Bass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glad you liked the picture of my bike, Molly. Unfortunately, it's currently stuck in my garage with a couple of major problems which may not be worth repairing, and I'm not sure what to do with it. But one day I'll be back on a bike, and I'll think of you when that happens.

You like Bruce Springsteen too! I remember being knocked out hearing "Hungry Heart" years ago - the sheer energy of it! He always seems to put his whole being into his music - body, mind and soul - not wanting to short-change any of his fans. It still amazes me how Ronald Reagan could interpret "Born in the USA" as an affirmation of his sort of American values.

Thanks for all the posting - your wisdom and serenity are an inspiration to us all. But where are the photos of you with the quilt!

Posts: 2162 | From: In a forest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Francesca Shelbellini
Shipmate
# 53

- Posted      Profile for Francesca Shelbellini     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh, Miss Molly, I have seen the pictures of you receiving the quilt - how wonderful! I was very impatient, and it seemed to go in slow motion...Miss M looking at present...Miss M touching bow...Miss M starting to pull on bow...aagh! I wanted to race ahead to see your face when you found out it wasn't a big hamster ball at all...I hope not too disappointed! [Razz]

I love the pictures of you showing your mother some of the squares, I can just hear you saying, "and this is chastmastr, and his determined hamster...and this is chukovsky...and this is nicole in new york...and this is michelle (don't much know her yet but a lovely girl I'm sure)...and this is..." and so on and so on.

I pray that it will give you much joy. My kitty Lilith enjoyed rolling around on it as the half here came together...so it comes with her love too (and hopefully no black cat hairs...)

lots of love and prayers,

Posts: 109 | From: vancouver, bc, canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, yes, another Friday night of pizza and a movie. But ho, what is this? The doorbell rings and boys appear. I have suddenly become mother to 3 more enchanting teenage sons with possibly 2 more arriving this evening. I guess I shall have to decorate in blue. We are going to enjoy the new Lord of the Rings extended version [Big Grin] though if they should pester me I will take it into my hobbit hole and post "no visitors" on the gate! My bunnies are guarding the fireplace, and will no doubt enjoy having furry heads to sniff this evening as the unknowing youngsters lie sleeping. Hopefully they will not nibble too much off! Peace to you, Lady A
Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jehu son of Nimshi
Shipmate
# 1368

- Posted      Profile for Jehu son of Nimshi   Email Jehu son of Nimshi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Molly,

Long time no chat to you... sorry. I have been lapse. I guess you have been reading about my busy plans.

Tomorrow night is the TDA Dinner Party. I did some cooking tonight... and the rest will be tomorrow. I hope it all works out right.... I wasn't totally sure about the dessert I cooked tonight... it might need re-making from scratch... time will tell. (I hope not... as tomorrow will be busy enough as it is!!)

Also have been planning for my hectic UK Tour with Soggy... fortunately that seems to be coming together... although we only have 8 days to sort it out before departing!!!

I am still single without sign of "Miss T" on the horizon... but as always, she might around any corner now! [Wink]

My sister is back to being due to give birth in the New Year again.... (they brought it forward to end of Nov... but have dropped it back again)... much to everyones relief... so I will become Uncle Tigglet for the first time soon. [Big Grin] (looking forward to it actually).

They have nicknamed it BEANO (which means something in Italian... where they honeymooned!)
If it is a girl, they want to call her, Seren. No boys names though yet. If they call her Seren, I will want to give her the middle name "Dipity".... [Wink] (or Dippy for short!) [Razz]

I have posted the Menu finally on the Dinner party thread.... so take a peep. Also after the event we will post pictures and reports!!!

Glad you like the blanket. It was a real pleasure to be involved in such a cool project... and top marks for Chukovsky for making it happen. I was just sorry I didn't have more time to get my fingers in shape for embroidering better. It has been a long time since school!!!

I was a bit dissapointed in my piece's outcome. The writing was too small for the thread thickness which made the bottom writing blotchy! Also overall neatness wasn't up to my perfectionism... but others have spontaneously said it was good... so I am probably being overly hard on myself. Anyway... you know it comes with love from my fingers... and that the love there displayed is from deep in my heart for you. They say it is the thought that counts... and on that score ALL the squares are blooming marvelous!!! [Big Grin] Wrap wamr in those hugs!!! ((((((((Molly)

Love to you.

God Bless

Tiggs.

--------------------
The shipmate formally known as Tigglet

Posts: 484 | From: Herts. UK | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jehu son of Nimshi
Shipmate
# 1368

- Posted      Profile for Jehu son of Nimshi   Email Jehu son of Nimshi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's the other side of that hug....

"))))))))" [Wink]

Love,

Tiggs

--------------------
The shipmate formally known as Tigglet

Posts: 484 | From: Herts. UK | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Sebastian

Staggering ever onward
# 312

- Posted      Profile for St. Sebastian   Email St. Sebastian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Michelle, you're spot on with your description of Molly pointing out each square and giving a little accolade to the donor. (Why do I always start using Britishisms when I'm on the Ship?). I wish I'd thought to record it on audio. Apparently her mother knew all about everyone because she kept exclaiming "of course!" and "right, right!" and even identified a few herself! We all had fun picking people out. We kept going "oh look!" and "here's one from . . .!" I was very impressed by the quality of the Ship's logo and Herself's avatar, I must say.

It's possible Miss Molly needs a stern talking to. Or it's possible I almost killed her today, I'm not sure which. I went over during my lunch hour to see if any tidying up was needed before her brother arrived. I arrived a few minutes early, and rang and rang and thought, "well, she's probably in the bathroom or shower and now I've sent her scrambling!" [Frown]

Her(breathless)self eventually answered and let me in. When I arrived she was fair desperate to breathe and I had to turn her oxygen to max before she could settle. Now, this is either because I almost killed her, in which case I beg the forgiveness of one and all, or because the wretched woman had cleaned the bathroom so I wouldn't have to! [Roll Eyes] I mean really. I know it's hard to accept growing limitations and that she worries about being a burden, but this goes beyond common sense! It's difficult to reprimand a gasping woman so I decided to do it here with, I am sure, the Ship's chorus backing me up.

Miss Molly, don't you be silly, now. I'd rather clean your bathroom than have to figure out complicated medical equipment on the fly! [Razz]

I just want to say here and now for all to hear: nothing I have done for Herself has been in any way a burden, inconvenience or trial. Now if she ever throws up on me, then we'll talk trial!
[Projectile]

So, in front of God and all these witnesses, Molly, I command you: don't overdo it and never hesitate to ask for what you need (even if it pisses you off mightily to need it!).

Allright then. We'll say no more about it.

[Smile]

--------------------
St. Seb

Posts: 962 | From: Burlington, North Carolina | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Scarlet

Mellon Collie
# 1738

- Posted      Profile for Scarlet         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Sebastian:
Miss Molly, don't you be silly, now. I'd rather clean your bathroom than have to figure out complicated medical equipment on the fly! [Razz]

[Killing me]
Speaking as a nurse, I'd have to say these are perhaps the wisest words I've ever seen. Absolutely priceless.

Molly, get a grip and do as you're told. Consider yourself properly scolded. In love, of course. [Wink]

--------------------
They took from their surroundings what was needed... and made of it something more.
—dialogue from Primer

Miss_Molly

Toujours gai
Beloved
# 2339

Dear shipmates, dear friends, my thoughts as always are with you, and my prayers follow you.

I have private messaged the Saint to tell him how many people are looking for his photographic work. I am sorry I cannot help you find it, as I am hopeless at cutting and pasting. However, isn't this a nifty way to extend my fifteen minutes of fame? [Razz]

I am remembering Beethoven, Mr B and Baby B today. Happy new birthday, dear little one!

Tigglet, dear, I hope your party goes well tonight. I am sure the dessert will be fine. I hear your tour of England includes a visit with an offshore shipmate. I know she is eagerly awaiting you and Soggy Amphibian.

The first time I met you, you were busy crafting lovely necklaces for a friend's charity stall. Your paws have lost none of their nimbleness, I think. I love your bouncey embroidered signature and smiley! I can't refrain from stroking it occasionally.

Actually, I am just awfully tactile about this quilt; I stroke the squares as I pass night and morning. Don't worry, my hands are clean!

DaveC, I am sorry to hear of your bike's indisposition. I can only say, regarding Ronald Reagan's misapprehension of Born in the USA, that he was known to require a hearing aid. Of course, I believe he had great powers of imagination, too, as when he presented himself to an elderly English group as one who had taken part in the air war in Europe. Admittedly, his true service on the back lots making Army films is not so suitable for cinemascope, although it was honorable.

Thanks for the information, dear Daisy May. It sounds a great hymn for reminding one of eternal truth in a direct way. I am glad your son got to show the sitar to the little children. Who knows? Years from now one of them may be a virtuoso. As a child, I loved to handle my father's guitar and fiddle. I did not grow up to be a virtuoso, but I grew up loving music, and eventually learned to play the dulcimer.

Lady A, thanks for a laugh! I am imagining the bunnies harvesting hair! I hope you were all able to enjoy the Lord of the Rings together.

Duo Seraphim, I don't think I have thanked you for your word picture of the beautiful flowers and their guardian and servant.

More squares on my quilt! Gill B, thank you. I remember when we started the quirky alone thread together. I still remember your kind PM relating to my inquiry. It meant a lot, coming as it did from a senior shipmate.

Mrs Tubbs and Polly, thank you! I love Polly's little paw print. Thank you too, for the thread you started about "why don't we sing that anymore?", not only for the music, but because it was a place that promoted my friendship with a very dear friend.

Gambit and Holly, my dear young lovers, thank you for the two squares wishing me well under your ship names, and then for good measure, your IRL names. And remember, I shall sing for the young monsieur and madame!

Another graceful signature is Laura's. Good thing I did not have to sign this quilt; I would have disgraced Mrs Carlton, who taught me cursive writing in third grade.

And now the news:

My brother and sister-in-law, hereafter to be known to you as Dave and Sue Ann, arrived yesterday afternoon in good order, having had a pleasant and safe drive over the Continental Divide.

They brought me lovely presents: a photo frame of wedding pictures of my dear nephew and his beautiful Lisa, and a book of drawings and literary quotations regarding angels.

Today was the day for brilliant presents! I also received Night Watch from Sparrow, and a card I treasure. Thank you, Sparrow; you shouldn't have but I am glad you did.

We got takeout Chinese for supper, and I for one ate far too much. We had beef with snow peas and the very rich and good snowball shrimp. These are shrimp cooked around walnuts and covered in a thick, tangy-sweet sauce. So you can eat all this lusciousness without guilt, they come with broccoli. My brother kindly gave me his! Like a certain former president, he never lets it pass his lips.

I caught up on the news about my niece and nephew, and we watched a video Sue Ann made of photos of Rob and Lisa growing up. It had two Jimmy Durante renditions! One was of As Time Goes By. I do love Jimmy Durante. I hope he is with Mrs Calabash now.

Later today, they will be coming with lunch. Tacos! Hurray! We will visit for a while and then I will have a nap in preparation for the late showing of the new Harry Potter movie. On Sunday, they will take me to church, and I shall have the pleasure of introducing them to my friends there.

I have thought about the Saint's post, never fear. I shall be posting on this subject after the weekend. I must say I was glad he was here to turn the oxygen up. I must have sounded like a dying cow telling him to do so. Poor man to have to figure out how with no assistance from me, who really was short enough of breath to be afraid.

However, toujours gai! Never fear, you will all hear from me again. Much love to all!

--------------------

Michèle

Bunny sister
# 1401

- Posted      Profile for Michèle   Email Michèle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dearest Molly

It is always such a joy to read your posts, they are simply outstanding!!

I am sorry not to have spoken in a while. Things are going busily at college, but well. I have an important Maths exam on Monday - it's a modular thing, with coursework in between it. All over in June. But one of those "must haves" in order to get to Uni. I did well with the mock though, so am bigly encouraged. Maths and me never did connect. I keep thinking of Dad, and how proud he would be - he was always so disappointed how poor I was at Maths!

I go every Wednesday to a sweet cottage Midwifery unit. It's got a posh name since we used it. It's now a Birthing Centre! I have yet to witness a birth, but am loving the contact with the ante and post natal Mums. I hold your encouragement in my mind, as well as dear sweet Bron, when it gets tough at college.

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Last night we went to an Open Evening at the school we hope Em will go to next year. They have 20 places. She is so happy now, and her current school has enabled her to regain her childhood, after the stresses and tears of last year. She is playing a flute solo in the Abbey for School Christmas Carol Service. And I can't see a smilie for "proud" .. it makes me want to [Waterworks]

I have been thinking about Sammy a lot this week. We got some photos dev'd finally, and he was in them - poor boy looked so sick. I thought you'd love to know that Daisy is v. settled with P know. I don't think she'll ever be a lap cat, but she comes across to our side of the house to be let in at night and sleep on our bed! She's such a good girl - wakes me up purring just before 7 am, a purrralarm! She's a plump little thing, but it is really good to see a healthy cat. She never disturbs us in the night, Sam used to clamber over our heads giving us kisses!

Pipkinettes due home shortly from swimming lessons, so will sign off now - have a mountain of paperwork here to do - the insurance man is getting a bit stroppy about the fact that the car is still on French plates! [Eek!]

Lots of love and hugs, and a special one to your Own Saint, and hello to Tim.

m
xxxxxx

Posts: 944 | From: Dissertation Hell | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

I've just been sitting here admiring the photos - I never thought watching someone open a parcel and get its contents out could be so much fun! I can't imagine a nicer way of enlivening a grey British Saturday morning.

Miss Molly, I hope you have a very happy and enjoyable weekend with your brother and sister-in-law! This morning Katie and Smudge are sleeping on the landing, by the radiator, and send you a squeak and a grunt respectively.

LouiseF
Shipmate
# 361

- Posted      Profile for LouiseF   Email LouiseF   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm one of those lurkers.....

Would love to see the pic's of the quilt (what a fab idea - inspired!)

Every time I hear Fields of Gold on the radio - I've been thinking of you Miss Molly - and offering up prayers for you (as have my congregations...! Who think I spend too much time playing on the internet as it is!! This just confirms that!) [Embarrassed]

Thank you for being so brutely honest about what is happening to you in your life. Death has a way of robbing people of thier ability to be honesty about what is happening. Thank you for being Grace personified.

This ship has been a richer place because of you, your friends and this thread.

My prayers are with you,

Much love and any excuse to use this smilie.....
[Love]

Shalom,

Louise. [Yipee]

--------------------
"History will not be so kind to our generation of Christians if we allow the false consciousness of mainstream living to go unchallenged." (Ann Morisy)

Posts: 94 | From: West Midlands | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Sebastian

Staggering ever onward
# 312

Anyone who would like access to the pics, just pm me with your email address if it isn't in your profile. It's the way the thing is set up by Sam's Club: I have to provide the email address of anyone to whom I wish to give access, and Sam's sends the link. If I copied the link here (which I'm not sure would work)I'd have to give you my account login and password and like I'm going to trust a bunch of strange Christians with that! [Killing me] ohhhh, I do amuse myself!

--------------------
St. Seb

Willyburger

Ship's barber
# 658

- Posted      Profile for Willyburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
St. Seb,

Instead of giving Sam's Club a whole list of valid email addresses of shipmates to spam or sell, I offer idle webspace to host the pics. I've got a temporary email address that you can provide for my access. Once I get access, I will save and move them to my server, where they will be available to all.

--------------------
Willy, Unix Bigot, Esq.
--
Why is it that every time I go out to buy bookshelves, I come home with more books?

Posts: 835 | From: Arizona, US | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eanswyth

Ship's raven
# 3363

- Posted      Profile for Eanswyth   Email Eanswyth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Miss Molly,

I would like to thank you [Not worthy!] for sending your cat-loving mojo through the internet. Spencer is the feline version of the eight year old boy who doesn't want mommy to hug him because it's yucky, but curls up next to her on the sofa when he's sleepy. He follows me all over the house like a puppy-cat but is not a big one for purring and wriggles when I pick him up.

While I was reading you post from this morning he came in to the room, stood next to my chair and yelled MOW (tr: pet me for approximately 10 seconds right now). I complied with his demand but then selfishly picked him up and held him against my chest with his paws resting on my shoulder. This is the only position in which he will reluctanly allow me to hold him at all. As soon as I scratched under his chin, he started purring loudly and rubbing his face on mine. He hasn't done that since he was a baby! It only lasted three or four minutes, but it was lovely.

Kisses from kitty-boy
Hugs from mommy-person [Love]

Posts: 1323 | From: San Diego | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  18  19  20 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016