homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Glory   » Gambit/James Rawling of London (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Gambit/James Rawling of London
birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Viola
Administrator
# 20

- Posted      Profile for Viola   Email Viola   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So sorry to hear this.

My thoughts are with you Sarah, and the rest of James' family & friends.

K.

--------------------
"If ye love me, keep my commandments" John 14:15

"Commandment number one: shut the hell up." Erin Etheredge 1971-2010

Posts: 4345 | From: West of England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the few short years we have been around he had become an institution.

[Votive]

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very sorry. Wow, what a shock. [Frown]

Again, thanks for letting us know, Sarah.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
J Whitgift

Pro ecclesia dei!
# 1981

- Posted      Profile for J Whitgift   Email J Whitgift   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Rest eternal grant unto James (Gambit) and may light perpetual shine upon him. May he rest in peace, and rise in Glory. [Votive]

[Votive] For Sarah and all of James's family, friends and loved ones. [Votive]

--------------------
On the issue of homosexuality the Liberals have spent their time thinking, considering and listening (in the spirit of the Windsor process), whereas Conservative Anglicans have used the time to further dig their feet in and become more intransigent.

Posts: 2838 | From: Gone shoreside | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
so sorry to hear.

[Votive]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So sorry. [Votive]
Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tom Day
Ship's revolutionary
# 3630

- Posted      Profile for Tom Day   Author's homepage   Email Tom Day   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My prayers and thoughts are with you and his family [Votive]

Tom

--------------------
My allotment blog

Posts: 6473 | From: My Sofa | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
pete173
Shipmate
# 4622

- Posted      Profile for pete173   Author's homepage   Email pete173   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was really looking forward to meeting him at the Pimlico pub tomorrow. Now we shall have to make that an appropriate wake for him.

His blog spoke of his ill-health, but had no idea it was life-threatening. Prayers for Sarah and Eyeliner and all other friends and family.

May he know and experience the Advent hope of the Lord who is our future. [Votive]

--------------------
Pete

Posts: 1653 | From: Kilburn, London NW6 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Prayers ascending, Sarah.

May he rest in peace and rise in glory.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fermat
Shipmate
# 4894

- Posted      Profile for Fermat   Email Fermat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] many prayers [Votive]
Chimakwa
Shipmate
# 3413

- Posted      Profile for Chimakwa   Author's homepage   Email Chimakwa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
athanasia (n): to induce death by means of Quicunque Vult
(Shipmate Formerly Known as Anglicub)

Posts: 249 | From: Philadelphia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stoo

Mighty Pirate
# 254

- Posted      Profile for Stoo   Email Stoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jenny phoned me this afternoon to let me know.

I met James a few times; he even stayed at my flat once, bringing with him a bottle of whisky as thanks for the room. He left in the morning having rolled off the sofa during the night. He had landed on his empty glass, breaking it. After his bus trip back to London, we got a text saying he'd checked himself into hospital after cracking/breaking a rib. Typically, it was announced with his incredibly dry humour.

I shall be having a whisky in his honour tonight.

[Votive]

--------------------
This space left blank

Posts: 5266 | From: the director of "Bikini Traffic School" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is sad news. My thoughts with you and his other loved ones.
Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ags

Knocked up
# 204

- Posted      Profile for Ags     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Sarah

Thank you for thinking of the Ship and for posting to tell us the awful news.
Met James at a few Shipmeets and enjoyed his company and his dry wit very much.
Prayers for him, for you and your family and for his friends, esp Abi.

Love Ags.

--------------------
I think that we are most ourselves at our best, because that is what God intended us to be. The us we really like, the us that others love to be with. Moth

Posts: 2707 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Met him several times, great guy. He'll be missed around here.

Prayers for family and friends at this time.

[Votive]

Paul W

--------------------
"It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks

Blog
Flickr

Posts: 2835 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
clare
Contributing Editor
# 17

- Posted      Profile for clare   Email clare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shocking, sad news. Thoughts and prayers with those who loved him close.

I remember that whiskey drinking night in Stoos flat too, and Gambit's special affinity with Laphroaig. I shall raise a glass as well tonight, though probably not of appropriate quality.

Clare

Posts: 2317 | From: edge of the peak district | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I gave him a lift from Bournemouth to Winchester railway station about 2 weeks ago. He was full of ideas and plans for the future. As he had never seen Winchester cathedral we included a detour round the somewhat medieval-looking one way system and a discussion of local history / Arthurian legend as well as the details of various cathedral choir set ups.

We passed an optician's shop called Rawlings and discussed what a good sort of verb "Rawling" was.

James was en route between ship meets at the time and was happily contemplating a good evening of "Rawling"...

Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Sorrow at the loss of a life so short, but thankful for a life packed so full. [Votive]
Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]
Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

I am so sorry to hear about James... having met him at Greenbelt and a few times since I am truly sad to hear this.

Auntie Doris

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] [Tear]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

So sorry to hear this [Frown] I'd met him several times at Shipmeets and he was a lovely man.

Deborah

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He'll be missed around here [Frown]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for letting us know, Sarah. I shall hug my brother a little tighter the next time I see him.

Every life is a loss, but to lose one so young is even more pronounced. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pegasus

Shipmate
# 1966

- Posted      Profile for Pegasus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]
Posts: 1207 | From: Ruritania | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Macgyver's Apprentice
Shipmate
# 603

- Posted      Profile for Macgyver's Apprentice   Author's homepage   Email Macgyver's Apprentice   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sarah,

I'm sorry to hear the news. James was always so full of life. He could be relied upon to liven up any occasion with with his dry wit and his observations about the world around him. He will be sorely missed by all who knew him.

My thoughts are with you and your family at this sad time.

Ken

--------------------
"In my view you cannot claim to have seen something until you have photographed it." - Emile Zola
2011 New Mexico Meet & Grand Canyon

Posts: 416 | From: The Clyde Valley | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tractor Girl
Shipmate
# 8863

- Posted      Profile for Tractor Girl   Author's homepage   Email Tractor Girl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
Patience, Firmness and Perseverance were my only weapons; and those I resolved to use to the utmost - Anne Bronte

Posts: 1114 | From: The field of life | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
iGeek

Number of the Feast
# 777

- Posted      Profile for iGeek   Author's homepage   Email iGeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wishing comfort and good memories to all those who loved and cared for James, especially his family.

I have some very treasured memories of James' special kindnesses to me. He was human of a loveable sort.

Rest in peace, mate. Keep a spot clear in the corner of heaven's best pub for us to gather with you when we can.

[Votive]

Posts: 2150 | From: West End, Gulfopolis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
holly

Mine's a double
# 689

- Posted      Profile for holly   Author's homepage   Email holly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Thoughts and prayers for James's family at this sad time

holly xxx

--------------------
If i had a million dollars. Id buy you some art (a Picasso or a Garfunkel)

Posts: 733 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Poppy

Ship's dancing cat
# 2000

- Posted      Profile for Poppy   Email Poppy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
At the still point of the turning world - there the dance is...

Posts: 1406 | From: mostly on the edge | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Spouse

Ship's Pedant
# 3353

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Spouse   Email Mr. Spouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I met him several times at Manchester and London meets.

Shocked.

[Frown]

--------------------
Try to have a thought of your own, thinking is so important. - Blackadder

Posts: 1814 | From: Here, there & everywhere | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is there to say? Praying for his soul and his family and friends.

I'm listening to a recording of a Russian Vespers right now. I know that James loved that kind of singing.

"Hallelu, Hallelu, Halleluyah"

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh my goodness. That's awful - thinking of you all.

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm so sorry.
My love to you and your family, Sarah. Thanks for posting.
[Votive]

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

e
(on behalf of the silent lurking majority)

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Black Labrador
Shipmate
# 3098

- Posted      Profile for The Black Labrador   Email The Black Labrador   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

he was a great guy - always full of life at shipmeets

Posts: 629 | From: London | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]
Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May his memory be eternal, may he rest in peace and rise in glory, and may God grant peace and solace to his family and loved ones.

[Votive]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dave the Bass
Shipmate
# 155

- Posted      Profile for Dave the Bass   Email Dave the Bass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also shocked at how suddenly this happened, and saddened that James won't be around at any more shipmeets. Prayers for the repose of his soul, and for all those who loved him and will feel his absence most keenly. [Votive]
Posts: 2162 | From: In a forest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Vikki Pollard
Shipmate
# 5548

- Posted      Profile for Vikki Pollard   Email Vikki Pollard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
"I don't get all this fuss about global warming, Miss. Why doesn't the Government just knock down all the f**king greenhouses?" (One of my slightly less bright 15 year old pupils)

Posts: 5695 | From: The Far Side | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I only "knew" him via his wonderful blog and postings here, which I greatly enjoyed.

[Votive] Memory eternal [Votive]

[Votive] For you Sarah, and his family and friends: thank you for letting us know. [Votive]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Niënna

Ship's Lotus Blossom
# 4652

- Posted      Profile for Niënna   Email Niënna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

Peace be with him.

--------------------
[Nino points a gun at Chiki]
Nino: Now... tell me. Who started the war?
Chiki: [long pause] We did.
~No Man's Land

Posts: 2298 | From: Purgatory | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Joyeux

Ship's Lady of Laughter
# 3851

- Posted      Profile for Joyeux   Email Joyeux   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

prayers for you, Sarah, and the rest of your family.

--------------------
Float?...Do science too

Posts: 4318 | From: over th... no, there! | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never met him, but "knew" his through the ship. he will be sadly missed.

[Votive]

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Revd H P Stinker Pinker
Shipmate
# 10704

- Posted      Profile for The Revd H P Stinker Pinker   Email The Revd H P Stinker Pinker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] Bless you James.

The last time I saw him was on friday, walking out of King's with a gang of former students, heading off to the Lyceum for a beer, having enjoyed the Advent carol service as he did most years (first singing in the choir and later as a member of the congregation).

He was one of our students in the 90s (who probably spent too much time in the chaplaincy arguing the finer points of theology), a member of our choir who loved singing and a friend. There are many memories buzzing around my head.

And coming back for Advent was always for James (and others) a special occasion which also involved remembering King's friends who had died this time of year. So now we have one more friend to remember...

Love to all who knew him and especially to his parents and Sarah - that they - and we - may know God's love and comfort now.

T

--------------------
"It was a superb spectacle while it lasted, and I was able to see what people meant when they spoke of the Church Militant." P.G. Wodehouse

Posts: 196 | From: within walking distance of the Drones | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm so, so sorry to hear this news. I never met James, but from what little I saw of him on the wibsite and the Ship, I never had cuase to think of him as anything other than a diamond bloke.

I'll be praying for him, and for those he left behind.

[ 06. December 2005, 20:15: Message edited by: Wood ]

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016