homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Glory   » Gambit/James Rawling of London (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Gambit/James Rawling of London
JoyfulNoise & Parrot OKief

Ship's pirate
# 2049

- Posted      Profile for JoyfulNoise & Parrot OKief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] James
[Votive] Sarah, Family and friends. God grant you strength in mourning and celebration of Gambit's life.

--------------------
Written from my alternative universe.

Posts: 1100 | From: East Anglia in the UK | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Craigmaddie
c/o The Pickwick Club
# 8367

- Posted      Profile for Craigmaddie   Author's homepage   Email Craigmaddie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

--------------------
Via Veritas Vita

Posts: 1093 | From: Scotchland, Europeshire | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] [Tear]

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chap
Shipmate
# 4926

- Posted      Profile for Chap   Author's homepage   Email Chap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I met Gambit at Spike's birthday party. Our converstations have been among the highlights of each my trips over to London.

Lord, comfort all those who mourn.

[Votive]

--------------------
Chap

Comfort the hurting; Feed the hungry; Clothe the naked.

Posts: 454 | From: Texas | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I met him a couple of times. A great guy.

May he rest in peace and rise in glory. [Votive]

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

- Posted      Profile for Persephone Hazard   Author's homepage   Email Persephone Hazard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you everyone. I met Sarah and James's parents last night. Understandably, she hasn't been able to get on the Ship to see this thread or any PMs anyone may have sent her, but she was pleased to hear how many people have sent their love and prayers. They really do appreciate it.

If anyone has any questions-ANYTHING they want to know-PM me or speak to me on MSN (persephone297@hotmail.co.uk) and I will do my best to answer them. If I can't, I am in touch with Sarah and will get the answer to you somehow.

--------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words, but it's a lot easier to make up a thousand words than one decent picture. - ken.

Posts: 1645 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Erin
Meaner than Godzilla
# 2

- Posted      Profile for Erin   Author's homepage   Email Erin       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How awful.

Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace, according to thy word.
For mine eyes have seen thy salvation;
Which thou hast prepared before the face of all people;
To be a light to lighten the Gentiles and to be the glory of thy people Israel.

[Votive]

--------------------
Commandment number one: shut the hell up.

Posts: 17140 | From: 330 miles north of paradise | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matrix
Shipmate
# 3452

- Posted      Profile for Matrix     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] words fail me.

M

--------------------
Maybe that's all a family really is; a group of people who miss the same imaginary place. - Garden State

Posts: 3847 | From: The courts of the King | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Caz...
Shipmate
# 3026

- Posted      Profile for Caz...   Email Caz...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. May God be near you.

[Tear] [Votive] [Votive]

--------------------
"What have you been reading? The Gospel according to St. Bastard?" - Eddie Izzard

Posts: 1888 | From: here to there | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Legodude_uk

Protector of Zebras
# 5671

- Posted      Profile for Legodude_uk   Email Legodude_uk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
If a man is standing in a forest speaking but there are no women around to hear him...is he still wrong?

Posts: 2619 | From: The Home of the Saints | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We only knew Gambit as a loyal and thoughtful shipmate on the boards, but Zeke (my wife) and I shall miss him.

So untimely.
[Votive] [Angel]

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30497 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Suze

Ship's Barmaid
# 5639

- Posted      Profile for Suze   Email Suze   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
' You stay here and I'll go look for God, that won't be hard cos I know where he's not, and I will bring him back with me , then he'll listen , then he'll see' Richard Shindell

Posts: 2603 | From: where the angels sleep | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Somehow I managed not to notice this thread until today. [Hot and Hormonal]

I am very sorry to hear this sad news. I met him once in August, little knowing that one so young and full of life would be taken so soon. Love and prayers for all his family and friends, may God uphold them at this time. [Votive]

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4393 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The last few posts on this thread are rather poignant given the circumstances. For we are indeed having a Devon meet sometime in January, but one expected guest will be missing.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34561 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
More prayers ascending. [Tear]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
norma
Apprentice
# 10769

- Posted      Profile for norma   Email norma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm one of James' many acquaintances from King's College London. Many of us saw him in his usual lively spirits on Friday evening, so it's particularly shocking to know that it suddenly all ended. He was a dear friend to many, and a man I once loved very much. James was first and foremost the life and soul of the party: witty, fun, intelligent and well-informed, he was always excellent company; but he was also gentle and tender. People often say that friends are the most important thing, and should take precedence over worldly concerns; I believe James may have grasped and lived this in a way very few ever do. He developed heart failure when he had just turned 21, and has lived with it for over 6 years; he bore the fear, pain and frustration with grace and quiet courage. It is devastating that something he lived with so well should claim him like this. He was much loved, and will be sorely missed.

O light that followest all my way,
I yield my flickering torch to thee;
My heart restores its borrowed ray,
That in thy sunshine’s blaze its day
May brighter, fairer be.

We seem to give them back to Thee, O God, who gavest them to us. Yet as Thou didst not lose them in giving, so we do not lose them by their return. Not as the world giveth, givest Thou, O Lover of souls. What Thou givest, Thou takest not away, for what is Thine is ours also if we are Thine.
And life is eternal and love is immortal, and death is only an horizon, and an horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.
Lift us up, strong Son of God, that we may see further; cleanse our eyes that we may see more clearly: draw us closer to Thyself that we may know ourselves to be nearer to our loved ones who are with Thee. And while Thou dost prepare a place for us, prepare us also for that happy place, that where Thou art we may be also for evermore.
Bishop Brent

God bless you, James.

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That was lovely , Norma. [Votive] Thank you for your thoughts and memories.

I actually did a search on his last posts, too,(as mentioned up the thread) and sure enough, pretty much all of them were located somewhere in All Saints in reference to a meet.

Often there crops up discussions as to whether Ship of Fools constitutes a community. Well, I would guess that in order for it to be a community, you have to make it a community. Gambit certainly seemed to be working at that. Bless him for it.

--------------------
"Take your broken heart, make it into art"-- Carrie Fisher (1956-2016)

Posts: 35051 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Requiescat in Pace. [Votive]

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

Curious
Shipmate
# 93

- Posted      Profile for Curious   Email Curious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
Erin - you are missed more than you could know. Rest in peace and rise in glory - to provide unrest in the heavenly realms.

Posts: 1369 | From: Betwixt and between | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eanswyth

Ship's raven
# 3363

- Posted      Profile for Eanswyth   Email Eanswyth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He was the first Brit Shippie I met. Hubby and I dropped in on a Croyden shipmeet but were the first there. After sitting there for a few minutes wondering if we were in the wrong place a charming young man with a fag and a pint leaned over and asked, "Did I hear you mention Ship of Fools? I'm Gambit." It was the start of a lovely evening.

Rest in peace. [Votive]

Posts: 1323 | From: San Diego | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] May he rest in peace and rise in glory [Votive]

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

- Posted      Profile for Persephone Hazard   Author's homepage   Email Persephone Hazard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"A charming young man with a fag and a pint"...yes, that's my James.

I have details of the funeral. The time hasn't yet been decided, but it will be on Monday the 19th December at St John's Hyde Park, which was the church he and I attended together for the majority of the time we were a couple. He loved it dearly, as do I.

I will post further details as and when I know them.

[ 12. December 2005, 14:50: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words, but it's a lot easier to make up a thousand words than one decent picture. - ken.

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's our website:

St John's, Hyde Park Crescent.

Buses nearby are 6, 7, 15, 23, 36, 18, 16, 205, 414.

That other one is very interesting - recommending some very expensive venues...

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11090 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I just check when the funeral is?
I make it Wednesday 19th Jan, or Monday the 19th December - just wondered as I'd like to go.

Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's supposed to be in December...

We may hear in church tomorrow and if so I'll pass it on....

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11090 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've only just caught up, and am lost for words.

[Votive] Gambit.

May God be with you, and with those who mourn your passing.

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Posts: 4442 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rowen
Shipmate
# 1194

- Posted      Profile for Rowen   Email Rowen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
God be with Gambit ... and his family.

--------------------
"May I live this day… compassionate of heart" (John O’Donoghue)...

Posts: 4894 | From: Somewhere cold in Victoria, Australia | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Androet
Shipmate
# 4133

- Posted      Profile for Androet   Email Androet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's terrible. I remember how friendly he was to me when I came to my first shipmeet.

May he rest in peace and rise in glory. [Votive]

Thinking of you.
Androet

--------------------
Where knowledge cannot go, imagination ventures. (Brian Aldiss)

Posts: 235 | From: Surrey, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Arrietty

Ship's borrower
# 45

- Posted      Profile for Arrietty   Author's homepage   Email Arrietty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] [Votive] [Votive]

A great Shipmate. And a great person.

RIP

and prayers for Sarah, eyeliner and all his family and friends.

[Tear]

--------------------
i-church

Online Mission and Ministry

Posts: 6634 | From: Coventry, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Puppycat
Ship's Toast and Vegemite
# 4941

- Posted      Profile for Puppycat   Email Puppycat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How desparately sad. [Votive] For his family and friends.

--------------------
“The Angels stole my phone box.” Doctor Who ~ Blink

Pics of my trip to Israel and Paris

Posts: 1905 | From: Picnicking at Hanging Rock | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
ChrisT

One of the Good Guys™
# 62

- Posted      Profile for ChrisT   Author's homepage   Email ChrisT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My thoughts and prayers are with James' family and friends. He will be missed by many.

--------------------
Firmly on dry land

Posts: 6489 | From: Here, there and everywhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

Sorry for date mess-up. Kelly Alves has now very kindly fixed it for me. At some point last Tuseday, my brain turned to mush and dribbled out of my ears.

--------------------

dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
((((((eyeliner))))))

[Votive]

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Only heard about this today via a mutual friend. [Frown]

For James and all those who knew and loved him [Votive] May the Lord bless you and keep you, May he lift his face to shine upon you and give you peace.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12618 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
By the way, does anyone have the time of the service yet, or even whether it is morning or evening?
Posts: 5349 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by welsh dragon:
By the way, does anyone have the time of the service yet, or even whether it is morning or evening?

I was speaking to Eyeliner last night on messenger, and she said she thought that it would be at 2pm, but I don't think that's definite.

Deborah

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2380 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jester
Shipmate
# 10692

- Posted      Profile for Jester   Email Jester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I met Gambit at the Herts shipmeet. A really nice guy who brought so much fun to the meet.

May God be with his family and friends

--------------------
Jester

Posts: 60 | From: Herts | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
James Mc

Procrastinator
# 3414

- Posted      Profile for James Mc   Email James Mc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]
Posts: 905 | From: London, UK | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
bopabeth
Apprentice
# 10787

- Posted      Profile for bopabeth   Email bopabeth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Sarah,

I knew James from Kings and last saw him on Friday night at Advent Carols. I can't believe that he has gone- we will miss him. My thoughts are with you all at this time.

Bethan
xx

Posts: 1 | From: Liverpool, England | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ultraspike

Incensemeister
# 268

- Posted      Profile for Ultraspike   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just reading about this now, and so saddened. I always admired his efforts to keep the London shipmeets going and enjoyed reading his posts about Lambeth. [Tear] [Votive]

--------------------
A cowgirl's work is never done.

Posts: 2732 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dave the Bass
Shipmate
# 155

- Posted      Profile for Dave the Bass   Email Dave the Bass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rosamundi:
I was speaking to Eyeliner last night on messenger, and she said she thought that it would be at 2pm, but I don't think that's definite.

Is anyone in a position to confirm this yet?

And, assuming this is the right time, is anyone interested in meeting beforehand for lunch, or afterwards for tea (or something stronger)?

Posts: 2162 | From: In a forest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

I think that time may be the hope - but so far the time has not been able to be fixed. Sarah said that she would let us know and I've asked the church to let me know asap so that I can pass on the info.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't know James/Gambit, but reading all these messages I wish I had.

Prayers for all who loved him, Shipmates or IRL. [Votive]

It seems like the world will be a poorer place without him.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 2996 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dave the Bass:
quote:
Originally posted by rosamundi:

Is anyone in a position to confirm this yet?

And, assuming this is the right time, is anyone interested in meeting beforehand for lunch, or afterwards for tea (or something stronger)?

yes.....
Posts: 12711 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lunch would be good. I'm not sure about afterwards as it's work's Christmas party on the evening of the 19th, and I may have to disappear to get changed.

Deborah

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2380 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sarah Wickham
Apprentice
# 10760

- Posted      Profile for Sarah Wickham   Email Sarah Wickham   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you for all your messages - your thoughts, prayers and support are very much appreciated.

I just wanted to confirm details for James' funeral/thanksgiving
Monday 19th December 2005
1pm at the West London Crematorium, Harrow Road, London NW10
2pm at St John's, Hyde Park Crescent, London W2

There will be refreshments after the service of thanksgiving at St John's, to which all are welcome.

Everyone is welcome at both or either service - but if you have to choose, please try to choose the thanksgiving service at St John's!

James would have preferred donations to be made in lieu of flowers - we suggest the British Heart Foundation would be an appropriate charity.

With all good wishes

Sarah

Posts: 3 | From: Huddersfield, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you Sarah. Prayers continue for you, the family, Eyeliner et al.

Plan to be at the 2:00pm service.

Will go along with any reasonable meeting of shipmates afterwards.

Donation to British Heart Foundation will follow.

[edited to add final point]

[ 14. December 2005, 22:15: Message edited by: TonyK ]

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2709 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ebeth

Shipmate
# 4474

- Posted      Profile for ebeth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would it be appropriate and not too complicated to set up a single donation to the British Heart Foundation that all shipmates could contribute to? Or is it better that we make individual contributions in James' memory?

--------------------
"To eat bread without hope is still, slowly to starve to death." --Pearl S. Buck

Posts: 1486 | From: Here | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Black Labrador
Shipmate
# 3098

- Posted      Profile for The Black Labrador   Email The Black Labrador   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sadly I can't make the funeral but [Votive] .
Posts: 629 | From: London | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
im not going to be able to make it after all, ive got a medical appt i cant change :S doh.

My love and prayers to you all there though.

emma xxx

Posts: 12711 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016