homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Glory   » Gambit/James Rawling of London (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Gambit/James Rawling of London
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't attend either as I will be back in Guernsey.

Love to everyone and [Votive]

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6015 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't make it either, but hope to get down to the memorial shipmeet in Jan. My thoughts and prayers will be with you on Monday.
Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ebeth:
Would it be appropriate and not too complicated to set up a single donation to the British Heart Foundation that all shipmates could contribute to? Or is it better that we make individual contributions in James' memory?

Speaking as a (nearly) accountant, if we make individual donations, the charity can also collect the gift aid on the donations from UK people. I'm not sure how that would work for one large donation from everyone.

Deborah

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2380 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We are planning to come to the Thanksgiving at 2pm. Does anyone want to meet up to catch a bite of lunch, and, if so, where would be the best place to go?
Posts: 5349 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nanny Ogg

Ship's cushion
# 1176

- Posted      Profile for Nanny Ogg   Email Nanny Ogg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sadly I can't make it due to "all hands on deck" @ w*rk.

My manager does understand I would have liked to have gone so has given permission to have some quiet time at the time of the funeral/thanksgiving,

Will be praying for James's family and friends and praising for his life, gifts and the wonderful memories he leaves behind.

His body has died but his spirit is with us through eternity. [Votive]

--------------------
Buy me a beer and I'm you friend forever

Posts: 4137 | From: Away with the fairies | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have checked the British Heart Foundation website - donations through the site are OK.

It is possible to make donations in memory of a specific individual. In this case the Foundation will write to the family advising the total donated and listing the people who donated - though not their individual donations.

To do this the Foundation will need to link the donations to a name and address. I have emailed Sarah asking if the family would like this, and if so what address to use.

Please watch this thread for further details - I will post again as soon as I know what we should do.

I feel that in this way we could show Gambit's family and friends just how much we appreciated his contribution to the life of the Ship.

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2709 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Spouse

Ship's Pedant
# 3353

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Spouse   Email Mr. Spouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're down in London next week, and will add the service to our itinerary.

--------------------
Try to have a thought of your own, thinking is so important. - Blackadder

Posts: 1814 | From: Here, there & everywhere | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
ebeth

Shipmate
# 4474

- Posted      Profile for ebeth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TonyK:
I have checked the British Heart Foundation website - donations through the site are OK.

It is possible to make donations in memory of a specific individual. In this case the Foundation will write to the family advising the total donated and listing the people who donated - though not their individual donations.

To do this the Foundation will need to link the donations to a name and address. I have emailed Sarah asking if the family would like this, and if so what address to use.

Please watch this thread for further details - I will post again as soon as I know what we should do.

I feel that in this way we could show Gambit's family and friends just how much we appreciated his contribution to the life of the Ship.

Thanks for looking into this Tony.

--------------------
"To eat bread without hope is still, slowly to starve to death." --Pearl S. Buck

Posts: 1486 | From: Here | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by welsh dragon:
We are planning to come to the Thanksgiving at 2pm. Does anyone want to meet up to catch a bite of lunch, and, if so, where would be the best place to go?

What sort of a "bite" do you want?

There are loads of cafes and restaurants in Paddington and Edgeware Road...

Curry houses, Chinese, Lebanese, MacDonalds, Burger King, Halal falafel, Millenium cafe, pubs with food, Mickey's chip shop, pizzas, etc...

It does depend on what sort of food you would prefer and then I'll post a few of the reasonable places that fit in.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11091 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
What sort of a "bite" do you want?

Of the ones you mentioned we'd normally go for:-
Curry houses, Chinese, Lebanese, falafel, Millenium cafe, pubs with food, pizzas...

In the circumstances, a pub with food might be apposite.

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Monkey Puzzle is in Southwick Street, 2 minutes away from St John's and is a reasonable pub with food. We used to go there regularly after the evening service. If you click on the map bit, it shows the church in Hyde Park Crescent too, which may be useful. I could probably be there till 1.30 as I have to set up the after-service coffee table.

The Royal Exchange in Sale Place might be the ideal for after-Thanksgiving Service. That's also where we went for ages.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11091 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't think I can make it, as I finish work the following day for Christmas, so will be very rushed. But I'll nip out to the nearest church at lunchtime to pray.

--------------------
Searching for a new sig...

Posts: 9130 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm thinking of coming. I could meet for a bite beforehand, but will probably leave straight after the service so as not to leave my sons rampaging round the house for too long!

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3445 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to be there as well.

Please remember James' collegues at Brixton library in your prayers as well.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12618 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dave Walker

Contributing Editor
# 14

- Posted      Profile for Dave Walker   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm planning to be at the 2pm service. Hopefully could make it to a pub beforehand too.

--------------------
Cartoon blog / @davewalker

welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

We are coming from a little distance, so we are not sure exactly when we will arrive. Dave suggests an informal preservice meet from 12 noon onwards. For some reason my currently quite temperamental computer is not showing me the map, but if Daisymay thinks we should go for the Monkey puzzle, I'd happily go along with that.

Wdx

iGeek

Number of the Feast
# 777

- Posted      Profile for iGeek   Author's homepage   Email iGeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll be with you all in spirit. I'm actually in country but unable to change my tickets to stay an additional day for the service.

God bless you and comfort you all.
[Votive]

Posts: 2149 | From: West End, Gulfopolis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

Ok - I'll go to the Monkey Puzzle on the corner of Southwick Street and Sussex Gardens no later than 12 noon, probably earlier.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

Just to say, re the "from 12 noon" - we probably will get there later than that! Perhaps 12.45. but Dave thought that having an earlier meeting time with an informal "turn up from..." would be more appropriate than having an exact time and get us out of the embarrassment of being late and having peeps waiting for us.

Hope that's ok daisymay.

daronmedway
Shipmate
# 3012

- Posted      Profile for daronmedway     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Didn't realise until now: [Votive]
Posts: 6976 | From: Southampton | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

- Posted      Profile for Persephone Hazard   Author's homepage   Email Persephone Hazard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just been in to see his body. Am in a very strange state.

See you all on Monday.

--------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words, but it's a lot easier to make up a thousand words than one decent picture. - ken.

Posts: 1645 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Take it easy and do your best to take time out if you can - it's a very surreal experience [Votive]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gambit's family have requested donations to the British Heart Foundation. These can be made through their website here - 'In Memoriam Donation'

Please make sure that you specify Gambit's name exactly as shown here-

James Rawling (Gambit - SoF)

with the necessary spaces etc. Entering this correctly links all our donations together and the BHF will advise Gambit's family who donated (though not how much) and the total received.

I am advised that you can leave the next of kin name and address etc fields blank - I have set up them up.

I suggest you put some brief message where indicated - if only your ship name!

If you are a UK tax payer and are happy for the BHF to reclaim the tax tick GA1. Otherwise, tick GA2.

Below the 'Proceed to Step 2' button are a couple of boxes to be ticked if you don't want the BHF or others to contact you.

Step 2 allows entry of Credit Card details.

Although the amount to be donated has to be specified in pounds sterling, I see no reason why credit cards in dollars or whatever should not work. I'm sure you can do the necessary sums yourselves!

If anything doesn't work, please contact me and I will try to sort it out.

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've rearranged my work schedule. I'd like to get to the Crem, but I'll definitely be at the 2 pm service.

Pub before/after the servoce sounds good to me

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12842 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarah Wickham
Apprentice
# 10760

- Posted      Profile for Sarah Wickham   Email Sarah Wickham   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarah Wickham:
I just wanted to confirm details for James' funeral/thanksgiving
Monday 19th December 2005
1pm at the West London Crematorium, Harrow Road, London NW10
2pm at St John's, Hyde Park Crescent, London W2

For those planning to come to West London Crematorium, the Masons Arms (on Harrow Road, opposite Kensal Green station) will be open for us from 11.30am.

Thank you all again for your thoughts, prayers, and fond recollections of James online, at shipmeets and elsewhere.

Best wishes

Posts: 3 | From: Huddersfield, UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've only just found this thread, and I never met James, but always wanted to.

He was an integral part of the ship - an instituition and I am saddened by his untimely death.

[Votive]

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Agent Smith
Shipmate
# 3299

- Posted      Profile for Agent Smith   Email Agent Smith   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am sorry, I cant make Monday (work and no annual leave)

Will be praying for all on Monday. [Votive]

--------------------
"I'm so English, I am probably descended from a Cricket Bat and a cup of tea".

James May - 20th Century

http://www.flickr.com/photos/agentsmith1974/

Posts: 536 | From: Inside M25 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Goodric

Shipmate
# 8001

- Posted      Profile for Goodric   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just found this thread - very sorry for your sad news. [Votive]

--------------------
Happy Christmas Everyone You can find me here

Gone to a better place.

Posts: 7160 | From: You all know anyway | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm planning on going to the service. Will come find whoever's in the pub beforehand (probably around 12.30 ish)

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2017 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
pete173
Shipmate
# 4622

- Posted      Profile for pete173   Author's homepage   Email pete173   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can't be there, I'm afraid. But prayers for all. [Votive]

--------------------
Pete

Posts: 1651 | From: Kilburn, London NW6 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So sorry to hear the news - I met Gambit once, and found him to be a most engaging fellow! May he rest in peace.

[Votive] for him and for his family.

Ian J.

BTW, thanks, TonyK, for the link to BHF.

--------------------
The future is another country - they might do things differently there...

Posts: 8716 | From: With The Glums At The Bus Stop | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
ebeth

Shipmate
# 4474

- Posted      Profile for ebeth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tony wrote:

"I feel that in this way we could show Gambit's family and friends just how much we appreciated his contribution to the life of the Ship."

Thanks for setting up the link to the British Heart Foundation Tony.

Our thoughts and prayers are with Gambit's family and friends as they gather in his memory.

--------------------
"To eat bread without hope is still, slowly to starve to death." --Pearl S. Buck

Posts: 1486 | From: Here | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ham'n'Eggs

Ship's Pig
# 629

- Posted      Profile for Ham'n'Eggs   Email Ham'n'Eggs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am very disappointed that I won't be able to make either service. My prayers are with his family and friends.

[Votive] for the repose of our dear brother James.

--------------------
"...the heresies that men do leave / Are hated most of those they did deceive" - Will S

Posts: 3103 | From: Genghis Khan's sleep depot | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll be at the Monkey Puzzle from as soon after 12:30 as I can make it.

Deborah

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2380 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
J Whitgift

Pro ecclesia dei!
# 1981

- Posted      Profile for J Whitgift   Email J Whitgift   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unfortunately can't make the lunchtime gathering or the services. Gambit's family and Eyeliner are in the forefront of my thoughts/prayers today [Votive] .

Matt

[ 19. December 2005, 12:39: Message edited by: Lux Mundi ]

--------------------
On the issue of homosexuality the Liberals have spent their time thinking, considering and listening (in the spirit of the Windsor process), whereas Conservative Anglicans have used the time to further dig their feet in and become more intransigent.

Posts: 2838 | From: Gone shoreside | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Spouse

Ship's Pedant
# 3353

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Spouse   Email Mr. Spouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chukovsky & I haven't got to the service but our thoughts & prayers are with everyone there.

[Votive]

--------------------

Posts: 1814 | From: Here, there & everywhere | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am sorry about this my prayers are with his family [Votive]

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Spouse

Ship's Pedant
# 3353

Chukovsky & I haven't got to the service but our thoughts & prayers are with everyone there.

[Votive]

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With you all in spirit, especially this afternoon. [Votive]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 23893 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Spouse

Ship's Pedant
# 3353

[Votive]

--------------------

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Been walking across the beach this afternoon praying for everyone who went, and those who were unable to go.

Hope that it went OK.

[Votive]

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6015 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Service of Thanksgiving was really lovely. It was a beautiful sunny day here in London, and at the end of a service full of praise and affectionate remembrance, the sun was setting in the west and shining in through the porch. The music was wonderful, and the tributes were both moving and cheering. If I have half so many friends who love me half so well at the end of my life, I will count myself blessed!

There were a number of shipmates there; I recognised Spike, W, Welsh Dragon and Dave the Bass, Ken, Mrs Tubbs and Rosamundi. There were doubtless others I don't recognise on sight, and I didn't make it to the pub beforehand - trains were too slow!

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3445 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just got back. avery moving service indeed. Tears and laughter interspersed (sp?). Watch this space for MW report.

Lots of beer was consumed at the Rob Roy Public House afterwards, and glasses were raised several times to James, a true Gentleman.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12842 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

I agree with Spike and others who reported - a wonderful service. I knew Gambit had a full and interesting life - but didn't realise just how full until today. He packed more into his 27 years than many will in their three score and ten!

Couldn't stay for the Rob Roy afterwards, regretfully...

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

Just got back from the Rob Roy, after clearing up and tidying the church kitchens - with loads of help from James's friends at St John's. It was actually relaxing to be able to meet with shipmates before the service at the Monkey Puzzle. I've just put my clothes in the wash after the Rob Roy - stinking of smoke. [Roll Eyes]

Praying tonight for comfort for all of james's family. [Votive]

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Ags

Knocked up
# 204

- Posted      Profile for Ags     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wasn't able to get away from work today, but went to the chapel just after 1pm and lit a candle in James' memory. Prayed for all of you who went to the services and those who wanted to be there but couldn't.

Love Ags [Votive]

--------------------
I think that we are most ourselves at our best, because that is what God intended us to be. The us we really like, the us that others love to be with. Moth

Posts: 2707 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TonyK:
I agree with Spike and others who reported - a wonderful service. I knew Gambit had a full and interesting life - but didn't realise just how full until today. He packed more into his 27 years than many will in their three score and ten!

Couldn't stay for the Rob Roy afterwards, regretfully...

What TonyK said ... It was a real testimony to Gambit that a midweek service just before Christmas was so packed with people who represented all aspects of his life who wanted to say goodbye.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12618 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
iGeek

Number of the Feast
# 777

- Posted      Profile for iGeek   Author's homepage   Email iGeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks TonyK for the details of how to contribute. Thanks all who attended for representing all of us here at the ship who couldn't attend but wanted to.

Blessings and love to all affected.

iGeek

Posts: 2149 | From: West End, Gulfopolis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

- Posted      Profile for Persephone Hazard   Author's homepage   Email Persephone Hazard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Other shipmates who made it-there was me (well, obviously), Joan Henrietta Newperson, and several people who are dear friend of his from King's who are or have been Shipmates, but I never did work out whose real name belonged to whose Ship name with that lot so I won't put my foot in it.

Would say something about the service but am still in too much of an odd place. Thank you to all who came.

--------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words, but it's a lot easier to make up a thousand words than one decent picture. - ken.

Posts: 1645 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Michèle

Bunny sister
# 1401

- Posted      Profile for Michèle   Email Michèle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
very late to read this sad news, which have only learnt of by a fluke visit to the old café. I am utterly stunned. [Tear]

Although I never met James in person, many of us had special daily contact with him in that old café - until Lambeth banned him! I will never forget the hilarious video clip he emailed of a CCTV in his office picking up a team of "rowers" - guys in shirts on swivel chairs, complete with "cox".. he often emailed me funny things even up until recently, and always took time to invite me to meets even though I just could never make them. We did exchange emails from time to time. Very weird thing, I have just crossed off his james.rawling@lampal etc address from my old notepad...

I thank Norma for her lovely description of him, and felt the same - he had a lovely personality.. very, very caring.

[Angel] God bless James. [Angel]

m

Posts: 944 | From: Dissertation Hell | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016