homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Glory   » Gambit/James Rawling of London (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Gambit/James Rawling of London
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Michele - I thought that video clip wasn't a figment of my imagination. Spent ages last week looking for it, but sadly, it must have got deleted at some point.
Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember it too... [Big Grin]

I wonder if anyone kept it instead of deleting it?

[ 21. December 2005, 21:47: Message edited by: daisymay ]

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spike's Mystery Worshipper report of the service of thanksgiving is now online here...

The sad loss of a shipmate, at St John's Hyde Park, London

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done, Spike.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very, very moving and very appropriate. Thank you, Spike.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

- Posted      Profile for Persephone Hazard   Author's homepage   Email Persephone Hazard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you.

Oh-and thank you to everyone who fed me gin at the wake. It was much appreciated! Being poor sucks, especially when you need a drink as much as I did that day...

--------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words, but it's a lot easier to make up a thousand words than one decent picture. - ken.

Posts: 1645 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What a marvellous report of an appropriate send-off.
I'm sorry I wasn't there.
Blessings.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ags

Knocked up
# 204

- Posted      Profile for Ags     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, Spike!

--------------------
I think that we are most ourselves at our best, because that is what God intended us to be. The us we really like, the us that others love to be with. Moth

Posts: 2707 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done, Spike, and thanks for the excellent photo of The Man Himself!

Continuing [Votive] for Gambit's family.

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
J Whitgift

Pro ecclesia dei!
# 1981

- Posted      Profile for J Whitgift   Email J Whitgift   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Well done, Spike, and thanks for the excellent photo of The Man Himself!

Continuing [Votive] for Gambit's family.

Ian J.

Indeed [Overused] . Have PM'd you separately about it [Biased] .

--------------------
On the issue of homosexuality the Liberals have spent their time thinking, considering and listening (in the spirit of the Windsor process), whereas Conservative Anglicans have used the time to further dig their feet in and become more intransigent.

Posts: 2838 | From: Gone shoreside | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
thanks for the excellent photo of The Man Himself!

Well, credit where credit's due. I found the pic on the Shipmeet Photos thread. I think it was taken by iGeek on Gambit's birthday.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

- Posted      Profile for Persephone Hazard   Author's homepage   Email Persephone Hazard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, it was-that was his Birthday meet. There are a few photos of the two of us being couply at that meet around somewhere, too.

--------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words, but it's a lot easier to make up a thousand words than one decent picture. - ken.

The Black Labrador
Shipmate
# 3098

- Posted      Profile for The Black Labrador   Email The Black Labrador   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spike [Overused]

That was a wonderful report.

Posts: 629 | From: London | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
iGeek

Number of the Feast
# 777

- Posted      Profile for iGeek   Author's homepage   Email iGeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Spike. A lovely report.

The pic was indeed taken at the Greencoat Boy on the occasion of James' birthday. I ran across an email from James when we were planning this:
quote:
So, dude,

I'm looking to plan the 'Igeek's return to the UK and Gambit's Birthday Meet' in the Greencoat Boy during the week of 16-23rd May, when I know you're back. Friday nights/Saturday nights seem to provide enough time to get up to serious mischief so, with respect to your plans, what do you think? Friday 20th, 7.30pm for 8 or Saturday 21st, 7pm for 7.30?

Yours,

Gambit

James Rawling
Customer Services Assistant
(South Lambeth Library)
Libraries, Archives and Arts
Education Directorate
London Borough of Lambeth

We did get up to some serious mischief, as I recall. [Tear]
Posts: 2150 | From: West End, Gulfopolis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

That was a great night [Smile]

--------------------

Old Hundredth
Shipmate
# 112

- Posted      Profile for Old Hundredth   Email Old Hundredth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have not spent much time on board lately what with Christmas, and only caught up with this very sad news via the MW.

God bless, Gambit - we'll miss you. And heartfelt condolences to eyeliner, Sarah and all your nearest and dearest. [Votive]

--------------------
If I'm not in the Chapel, I'll be in the bar (Reno Sweeney, 'Anything Goes')

Posts: 976 | From: The land of the barm cake | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

Thank you too [Smile]
Life is slowly getting back together again.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I also, to my shame, only caught up with this through the MW report. Please know my [Votive] s are retrospective, as Gambit/James dwells in the eternities of God.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Revd H P Stinker Pinker
Shipmate
# 10704

- Posted      Profile for The Revd H P Stinker Pinker   Email The Revd H P Stinker Pinker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There will be a service of Choral Evensong in memory of James on Tuesday 21st February, starting at 5.30pm in the Chapel of King's, London.

James was part of the choir at King's when he was a student and the current choir will be singing at the service. There will be opportunities for reflection and prayer during the service.

Everyone is welcome to attend.

--------------------
"It was a superb spectacle while it lasted, and I was able to see what people meant when they spoke of the Church Militant." P.G. Wodehouse

Posts: 196 | From: within walking distance of the Drones | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nanny Ogg

Ship's cushion
# 1176

- Posted      Profile for Nanny Ogg   Email Nanny Ogg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bumping this up so people see it...

or maybe it should be a new thread

--------------------
Buy me a beer and I'm you friend forever

Posts: 4137 | From: Away with the fairies | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fine here I think.

I intend to go.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

I shall of course be there, though I may as well point out now that I am unlikely to be with the Ship crowd-I suspect I will be with James's Kings friends.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure they will be allowed to talk to each other...

--------------------
Ken

Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

Oh, you know what I mean. If there was, like, a meet before or something. Or during the actual service.

Stop being pedantic! [Razz]

--------------------

Ruudy
Shipmate
# 3939

- Posted      Profile for Ruudy   Email Ruudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
oh, eyeliner, I am so sorry to learn of this tragedy. Please accept my belated condolences.

After Señor Frog joined our family back in August, my life has gotten quite small and I have not checked in to the Ship for many many months.

Last night I expected an easy lurk. The first thing I looked for was a Gambit monthly Shipmeet thread.

I look forward to joining a heavenly shipmeet one day. I am certain he is already organizing them up there on a regular basis.

Goar

--------------------
The shipmate formerly known as Goar.

Posts: 1360 | From: Gatorland | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave the Bass
Shipmate
# 155

- Posted      Profile for Dave the Bass   Email Dave the Bass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in London teaching next Tuesday, so I shall try to go, assuming I can get a late pass from WD. I'm teaching until 6pm, so I'll be late for the service, but it's only across the road, so I shall sneak in at the back somehow.
Posts: 2162 | From: In a forest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ruudy
Shipmate
# 3939

- Posted      Profile for Ruudy   Email Ruudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
i will be there too unless work sends me out of town unexpectedly

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by The Revd H P Stinker Pinker:
There will be a service of Choral Evensong in memory of James on Tuesday 21st February, starting at 5.30pm in the Chapel of King's, London.

--------------------
Ken

rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can't make this after all, I have the plague and feel really quite dreadful.

Deborah

[apostrophe, semi-colon, what's the difference]?

[ 20. February 2006, 19:18: Message edited by: rosamundi ]

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ruudy
Shipmate
# 3939

The mapcovers a huge area and doesn't show where exactly the chapel is. Can anyone narrow it down for me?

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

There are some maps linked off the King's College webpage

--------------------
Ken

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016