homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Glory   » Erin: Jason breaks the news (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Erin: Jason breaks the news
Lots of Yay

Cookies enabled
# 2790

- Posted      Profile for Lots of Yay   Author's homepage   Email Lots of Yay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That really really sucks. So sorry to hear it.

--------------------
Current status: idle
Tales of Variable Yayness
Photos of stuff. Including Pooka!

Posts: 2006 | From: the plasticine room | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A great shock.

[Votive] May Erin rest in peace and rise in glory.

[Votive] Prayers for Jason, and for the rest of the family. Thank you, Jason, for letting us know.

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Frown]

[Votive]

I don't have any other words.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lucia

Looking for light
# 15201

- Posted      Profile for Lucia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] for all who knew and loved Erin, for all who will miss her presence in their lives, both real and virtual.
Posts: 1075 | From: Nigh golden stone and spires | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged
uffda
Shipmate
# 14310

- Posted      Profile for uffda   Email uffda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] for Erin's family and friends.
[Votive] for the Ship

--------------------
Invincibly ignorant and planning to stay that way!

Posts: 1031 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is sad. Jason, may you gently heal through your bereavement.

Erin was very friendly, kind to me, and excellent and I'll miss her every time I click on.

[Votive] Jason and Erin [Votive]

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wood
The Milkman of Human Kindness
# 7

- Posted      Profile for Wood   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My prayers for her repose. And for her family and friends.

I have not spoken to Erin for some years now, but I saw Dave Walker post it on Twitter.

Erin was something, really something. The world is sadder knowing she isn't in it anymore.

That is all.

Posts: 7842 | From: Wood Towers | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Deckhand
Shipmate
# 15545

- Posted      Profile for Deckhand   Author's homepage   Email Deckhand   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am a relatively recent recruit and had no personal dealings with her, but I read many of her posts - both current and archived. I imagine she is irreplaceable and the Ship will not be the same without her.
[Votive]

--------------------
Lay Anglicana discussion forum and blog

Posts: 1360 | From: Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Erin has been a big part of the Ship as long as I can remeber. This is so sad. She will be grately missed.

[Votive]

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] For Erin, and for all who will so keenly feel her absence.

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Viola
Administrator
# 20

- Posted      Profile for Viola   Email Viola   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My deepest condolences to Jason and all of Erin's family. Our worlds will be poorer without her.

--------------------
"If ye love me, keep my commandments" John 14:15

"Commandment number one: shut the hell up." Erin Etheredge 1971-2010

Posts: 4345 | From: West of England | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know something pretty major is going on here when Rook's Maple Leaf turns black.

I don't think more needs saying.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
iGeek

Number of the Feast
# 777

- Posted      Profile for iGeek   Author's homepage   Email iGeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She is such a massive part of Ship culture, this place will truly not be the same.

Thank you God for her gifts to us and for her life. Comfort the hearts of those who grieve and bring to remembrance her unmatched wit and incisive BS detection. May chuckles accompany our tears.

Posts: 2150 | From: West End, Gulfopolis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am sorry to hear this. Something has been lost from the Ship and from life.
Posts: 1782 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
nomadicgrl
Shipmate
# 7623

- Posted      Profile for nomadicgrl   Email nomadicgrl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Though I am mostly a lurker and never had direct dealings, I enjoyed Erin's posts and could sense her hand on the tiller making this ship run well....Deepest condolences to her family and friends (virtual and otherwise).

--------------------
The care of another,even material, bodily care is spiritual in essence. Bread for myself is a material question; bread for my neighbor is a spiritual one.- Jacques Maritain

Posts: 437 | From: Living in the land of Anne (with an e) | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boopy
Shipmate
# 4738

- Posted      Profile for Boopy     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So sorry to hear this. I always managed to stay well under Erin's radar but will miss her scarily incisive wit. [Votive]
Posts: 1170 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
goperryrevs
Shipmtae
# 13504

- Posted      Profile for goperryrevs   Author's homepage   Email goperryrevs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
"Keep your eye on the donut, not on the hole." - David Lynch

Posts: 2098 | From: Midlands | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ouch. Never had direct dealings with her myself, but often enjoyed reading her posts.

Here's hoping that whatever comes next to her spirit is warm, enjoyable and with much good chocolate!

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Her persona/nickname of the Alligator expressed something of what the Ship, and authentic Christianity, is about. Honesty, directness and an ability to cut through the crap.

So sad that she will not continue to challenge us in these ways.

[Votive] May she rest in peace.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mad Cat
Shipmate
# 9104

- Posted      Profile for Mad Cat   Email Mad Cat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So sad to hear this news.... Erin's wit and wisdom will be grievously missed.

God bless you and your family Jason, and flights of angels sing your sister and our friend into the Lord's presence [Votive]

--------------------
Weird and sweary.

Posts: 1844 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
clare
Contributing Editor
# 17

- Posted      Profile for clare   Email clare   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unbelievable. I agree with the poster who said she was a 'force of nature'. She gave so much to this place and I learnt much from her clearsightedness - in community dynamics, in faith and in glimpses of gentleness.

And always in awe of her unparalleled wit... one of my earliest 'cultural adjustments' when joining this place. Very much enjoyed working with her on The Ark.

Sad news both for all shipmates, and her friends and family in her non-ship world. Thank you for letting us know Jason.

Posts: 2317 | From: edge of the peak district | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh dear Lord God. This just can't be. It's wrong.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wateracre
Apprentice
# 15406

- Posted      Profile for Wateracre   Author's homepage   Email Wateracre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very very sad news. Much peace and love to Erin's family.

Tom

Posts: 1 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

- Posted      Profile for TubaMirum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]
Posts: 4719 | From: Right Coast USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

I'm shocked. She was a wonderful woman.

Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May she rest in peace and rise in glory. [Votive]

From reading ship history, I know that if it hadn't been for her, this place would have folded early on.

My only interaction with Erin was in the Ark Cafe and the first day or two of the new ship's cafe; I enjoyed talking to her.

My condolences to Jason and the rest of her family.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What terrible news - so so sorry. My prayers for Jason and all his family as they mourn. And for us too.

Erin was unique, we'll not see her like again. May she rest in peace and rise in glory.

[Votive]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Margaret

Shipmate
# 283

- Posted      Profile for Margaret   Email Margaret   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't believe it at first - it just didn't seem possible. What dreadful news!
[Votive] for Erin's happy repose in the place where no trolls trouble
[Votive] for all who mourn her loss

Posts: 2456 | From: West Midlands UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The world gets just a little bit grayer.

[Votive]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, no, no, no, no...

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is such a shock

Erin will be sadly missed

[Votive]

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chesterbelloc

Tremendous trifler
# 3128

- Posted      Profile for Chesterbelloc   Email Chesterbelloc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Deeply sad. Terrible void. She's missed immediately.

In manus tuas, Domine.

--------------------
"[A] moral, intellectual, and social step below Mudfrog."

Posts: 4199 | From: Athens Borealis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alwyn
Shipmate
# 4380

- Posted      Profile for Alwyn     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
Post hoc, ergo propter hoc

Posts: 849 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alicïa
Shipmate
# 7668

- Posted      Profile for Alicïa   Email Alicïa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Deeply shocked. RIP Erin [Votive]

As a long time lurker and part-time poster I have grown to admire and respect Erin over the years and this is a very sad moment for the ship.

My thoughts and prayers with the Etheredge family. [Votive]

[ 04. January 2011, 12:02: Message edited by: Alicïa ]

Posts: 884 | From: Where the Art is. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very shocked & saddened - sympathy to Erin's family.

Like some others, I've had a nip or two from the Gator but also understanding and kindness.

[Votive] Erin, Rest in Peace and Rise in Glory

[Tear]

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Mid

Officer and a gentleman
# 1559

- Posted      Profile for The Mid   Email The Mid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

See Erin. I told you it would take something massive for me to ever use that one!

Thoughts and prayers with her family, friends and shipmates.

--------------------
For God so loved the world She got involved

Posts: 3022 | From: The Wardroom | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
East Price Road
Shipmate
# 13846

- Posted      Profile for East Price Road   Email East Price Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] RIP Erin.

--------------------
"Fishes stop and ask me where I'm bound." (Incredible String Band)

Posts: 739 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curious
Shipmate
# 93

- Posted      Profile for Curious   Email Curious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All of the above. [Votive]

If Erin hadn't intervened in a thread, it hardly seemed worth continuing to read it. Her way with vitriol and put-downs was amazing - and so was her fierce loyalty to the Ship and all it stands for.

May she rest in peace, free from pain, and may she rise in glory!

--------------------
Erin - you are missed more than you could know. Rest in peace and rise in glory - to provide unrest in the heavenly realms.

Posts: 1372 | From: Betwixt and between | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shocked and sorry to read this. It doesn't seem possible.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Wyclif
Apprentice
# 5391

- Posted      Profile for Wyclif   Author's homepage   Email Wyclif   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very sorry to hear about this, may God grant her the peace that surpasses all understanding.

I have not logged into the boards for many years now, this is my first post in a LONG time. But I remember Erin from the early years-- I can only echo the sentiments of another member above: she was like the rudder on this Ship.

Blessings and condolences to the family.

--------------------
No trees were harmed in creating this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Posts: 36 | From: Safely in Lutterworth | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lev
Shipmate
# 50

- Posted      Profile for Lev   Author's homepage   Email Lev   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My deepest condolences to you Jason and all of Erin's family.

...Lev

Posts: 304 | From: Brighton, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Peter Owen
Shipmate
# 134

- Posted      Profile for Peter Owen   Author's homepage   Email Peter Owen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
Πετρος

Posts: 266 | From: overlooking Liverpool Bay | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jessie Phillips
Shipmate
# 13048

- Posted      Profile for Jessie Phillips     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it had not been for the forum skin change, then I might not have looked in Styx - and even if I had looked in Styx, I might not have actually opened an "Important Message PLEASE READ" thread. So, credit to the admin, I appreciate that. It's the least of what Erin's memory deserves.

So let the main focus be the memory of Erin: [Votive] [Votive]

Posts: 2244 | From: Home counties, UK | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Tear]

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Little Miss Methodist

Ship's Diplomat
# 1000

- Posted      Profile for Little Miss Methodist   Author's homepage   Email Little Miss Methodist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My sympathy and regards to Erins family, she will be deeply missed.

Erin used to have a sig that said "Be yourself unless you suck" it was often quoted between a friend and I, always with a wry smile.

[Votive] For Erin, who was always herself, and never sucked. [Votive]

--------------------
Tell me where you learned the magic,
The spell you used the day you made me fall....

Posts: 1628 | From: Caretaker of the Overlook Hotel | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shocked and saddened

[Votive] for all who knew and loved Erin.

--------------------
I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous - Mike Yaconelli

Posts: 942 | From: North Lincolnshire | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just saw this and still can't believe it ... a Ship without Erin? [Waterworks]

May she have rest and all who miss her comfort [Votive]

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ophelia's Opera Therapist
Shipmate
# 4081

- Posted      Profile for Ophelia's Opera Therapist   Author's homepage   Email Ophelia's Opera Therapist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very sad news. Prayers for Erin's family and all who will miss her deeply.

[Votive]

OOT

--------------------
Though the bleak sky is burdened I'll pray anyway,
And though irony's drained me I'll now try sincere,
And whoever it was that brought me here
Will have to take me home.
Martyn Joseph

Posts: 979 | From: Birmingham, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016