homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Glory   » Remembering Erin (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Remembering Erin
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Erin,

I was surprised by how deeply I felt your loss, not least because you were young and I had no idea you were so ill. A days reflection has only made me miss you more. You were a bugger. And I think sometimes I drove you a bit mad, if I ever truly hurt you I am truly sorry.

You were a great one for honest talk so here we go. No one loved the ship like you did, It would not be the great good it is without you. It simply would not have survived early storms without you. When you were funny you were the funniest. You taught me an awful lot, maybe without either of us knowing it. Not many will ever comprehend the immense amount of sheer hard work week, month and year after year you put in, bless you for the tenacity of your vision.

For many of us the ship has made us open our minds and hearts in a way we never could have to the oddness, magnificence and pure mercifulness that is God’s nature. In your wild dreaming I guess you hoped that we, your crew (mutineers and all), would see that which you now clearly see; His Love. Which being so great our hearts will ever be unrestful until that day when all things are made new. May I never slip away from that love into niceness and if I do feel free to haunt my dreams with the swish of rusty scythes.

To your family, please accept my thoughts and prayers for your loss. A Mass was said this morning with Erin as its intention.

As ever,

Pyx_e

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matrix
Shipmate
# 3452

- Posted      Profile for Matrix     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pyx_e
[Overused]
Thank you for saying so well what many of us have struggled to say.

M

--------------------
Maybe that's all a family really is; a group of people who miss the same imaginary place. - Garden State

Posts: 3847 | From: The courts of the King | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Geneviève   Email Geneviève   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those of us who don't know the "creation story", how did Erin come to be on the Ship, and one of the first administrators?

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Posts: 4336 | From: Eastern US | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Geneviève:
For those of us who don't know the "creation story", how did Erin come to be on the Ship, and one of the first administrators?

There used to be a thread called "History of the Ship", but it seems to have disappeared. Anyone know where it went?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Viola:
And they were always surprisingly cute cards - and her handwriting was surprisingly, well - girlish - I suppose.

They came with a little hand-drawn heart inside, which - for someone who couldn't stand smilies - was quite something.

I guess alligators are rather like armadillos - crunchy on the outside but soft as hell on the inside.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:

There used to be a thread called "History of the Ship", but it seems to have disappeared. Anyone know where it went?
It used to be in the Styx, but I checked and couldn't find it. Did it get sent to Oblivion?

I have the impression that Erin saw a void and filled it at a time when she was badly needed.

Moo

[ 05. January 2011, 16:31: Message edited by: Moo ]

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I came to hosting too late for the booby trapped card, more's the pity. What I remember is the card I recieved from her the year the boys and I were in the tent. Her card hung above the "door" (tent flap) and made a very bizarre and desperate-feeling shelter situation feel more like home.

And thanks, Pyx_e.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dearest Erin,

I like to hope calling you Dearest will get at least a bit of a rise out of you.

I don't trust my memory but once someone bitched in Styx about a thread titled Nappy Headed Hos; IIRC it was you who (it if wasn't, you would have) unwaveringly defended the OPer in the interest of supporting free speech.

I can say he was hugely grateful and gained an even greater appreciation for this, erm, unique place.

And much more recently the guy started an inane thread in Hell about bashing America - if you don't already know know now that the first response mere minutes after the OP (from you and far from laden with ridicule...) meant more than it probably should, given it's only an obscure intertubes forum.

But it did, and thanks for everything.

The presence of your absence is everywhere.

Mike

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pyx_e, I'm so glad you posted. I think it says a lot (of good!) about you and about Erin and about this community as a whole, including many who are no longer a regular part of it, that you did and could.

If only more RL christian communities could be like this.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am an old hand now, still on scrubbing deck duty, but that's the way I like. I have gone through at least five of the seven stages of ship posting. I don't have many specific Erin memories, although I remember Hell when Erin hosted in her robust style.

However what really impressed me about Erin is not something of a one off exchange. I have said this before, when I first came it was clear that Erin's power was absolute. Today we are a consultative oligarchy. It is said absolute power corrupts absolutely, with Erin it didn't and that says a heck of a lot.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
marmot

Mountain mammal
# 479

- Posted      Profile for marmot   Email marmot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tubbs:
quote:
Originally posted by Viola:
Yup - she really was the most astonishingly generous person towards people she'd never met in 'Real Life'.

It had occurred to me a few days ago, that this was the first year Erin hadn't sent me a Christmas card. I mean - in my book that in itself is above and beyond niceness to your hosts & admins, when you've never met them, and they live on a different continent. And they were always surprisingly cute cards - and her handwriting was surprisingly, well - girlish - I suppose. The first year she sent me a card, it was full of that glittery stuff - little bits of tin foil in some festive shape or other. I'd made the mistake of opening it in the car, and that damn tin foil went everywhere. I was finding it for weeks in my clothes. I sent her a 'furious' thank you email, vowing to be more careful how I opened any correspondence from her in the future. She replied graciously, hoping I was still enjoying the gift that keeps on giving, as I picked more silver Christmas trees from my hair...

I got one of Erin's booby trapped Christmas cards as well. [Big Grin] I was hoovering up those Christmas sprinkles for weeks afterwards. Just when you thought you'd got them all, you'd find a few more!

Tubbs

Ah, the "Festive Anthrax". I thought I was the only one, but I should have known better. She claimed a couple of years ago that I was the only one to surprise her with it that year.

--------------------
Join me in "The Legion of Bad Monkeys"

Posts: 2754 | From: The land of Saint Damien | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Belisarius
Lord Bountiful of Admin (Emeritus) Delights
# 32

- Posted      Profile for Belisarius   Email Belisarius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The book I have is a Stephen Jay Gould compilation of essays; it's astonishing the time and effort Erin took to find all these personalized gifts.

--------------------
Animals may be Evolution's Icing, but Bacteria are the Cake.
Andrew Knoll

Posts: 8080 | From: New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was never really scared of Erin. She was always civil to me, likely because I didn't trespass in Hell and generally watched my step in Purg. I know she spoke to me on the boards once, but it was so long ago I can't remember when. I'll miss her. Things won't be the same without her.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
tomb
Shipmate
# 174

- Posted      Profile for tomb   Author's homepage   Email tomb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of my fondest memories of Erin happened in the course of a spat in Hell over the need for a Palestinian state. I don't remember if I was a host at that time, but some one-note nelly became convinced I was against the Jewish state (I'm not). He posted my name, address, and telephone numbers on the Ship, and threatened to do so on various pro-Israel websites.

Either 'frin or Erin erased the personal data, but I went around in fear some crazed Zionists would come to my house and burn a menorah on the lawn.

Erin phoned me, was very supportive, and gave me some very good advice.

Oh, yes--I, too, have been the recipient of a Christmas "glitter bomb" from Erin, as well as a very fine book on John Muir and the early days of the Sierra Club.

Posts: 5039 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pyx_e,

I didn't start crying until I read your post.

I remember a few years ago when Erin and I were standing silent watch on a certain board. All I could see was the notation "2 lurker(s)." I pm'd her and asked if the other lurker was her. She replied "Of course." We got into a long conversation by pm. It was a close as I have ever felt to her.

She was incredibly supportive of me as a host, and later as an administrator on another site. Her advice was always sound, well thought out, and succinct. When we disagreed (and we did) she didn't take it personally.

Erin has been the driving force behind a lot of good things on the Ship. She had an intuitive grasp of what would work to make the Ship a cohesive community. And when folks (me) would tell her it would never work, Erin was always right and we (I) were wrong.

Erin, the Ship is going to miss you. I am going to miss you. And whoever the poor soul is who is going to succeed you is going to have an exceedingly hard act to follow.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't have a lot of direct contact with Erin, but her presence on a thread always made it more interesting. I did get one reprimand (quite mild by her standards) from her years ago, which brought me up short enough to make me take a few days of shore leave to reflect. She was, as always, quite right.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:

She was incredibly supportive of me as a host, and later as an administrator on another site. Her advice was always sound, well thought out, and succinct. When we disagreed (and we did) she didn't take it personally.

I think it's definitely worth noting the support she gave to the hosts and how she'd always be ready to back us up in public.

Even when we got it wrong (which all hosts do from time to time) she still remained helpful and supportive.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We got the 'Festive Anthrax' too, several times. I managed to recycle the glitter one year and make a few new cards with it.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Trisagion
Shipmate
# 5235

- Posted      Profile for Trisagion   Email Trisagion   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What a bloody awful start to the year. I used to visit He'll threads largely to see her gator snaps. I got my arse (entirely justifiably) bitten for pious sanctimony by her in my first few months on the Ship and I was much the better for it.

May the Angels lead her into paradise.

--------------------
ceterum autem censeo tabula delenda esse

Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

- Posted      Profile for Deputy Verger   Email Deputy Verger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
232 visitors and 112 lurkers. That's about double the norm for my (official) time on the Ship.

Erin, you legend. RIP.

Posts: 475 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:

Sorry, it got accidentally sent to Oblivion at some point. I've just found it and dug it back out into the Styx.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You made it Erin - I'm jealous.

[Votive]

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The nice thing about this thread is hearing about the Erin I didn't know, the one who sent gifts, PMs and encouragement. Makes me wish I had, but sadly our paths never crossed that way.

What I can do is share my memories as someone who's read the Ship pretty much every day for the last 7 years.

I think in an ideal world the best form of government is a benign dictatorship. Unfortunately it's almost always impossible to pull off without the dictator becoming corrupt with power or weak and pandering to the loudest voices (which is just another form of corruption really). Erin somehow managed to avoid both these pitfalls and many others. She was tough when she needed to be but never lost sight of the bigger picture, what was best for the Ship.

The thing I admired most about Erin was how fair she was, how genuinely open to constructive criticism. And I think that's because it was easy to miss it if you weren't paying attention. We rightly remember her devastatingly efficient put-downs and her unerring BS detector. It would be easy to be wary around her, and at first I was. And then I started to notice that in the very same thread where she'd shut down a troll she'd calmly answered a hot-headed shipmate with a genuine concern, where she'd just rebuffed an ungrateful whiner she also replied to an irritatingly stated, but relevant point.

Sometimes these were even the same people! She seemed to have this ability to really let rip when called for but never dismiss valid feedback out of hand, whatever the source. And I admire that because I know I can't do it.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jamat
Shipmate
# 11621

- Posted      Profile for Jamat   Author's homepage   Email Jamat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, Pyx-e, for a moving tribute. [Votive] for Erin's family. Life is scarily unpredictable.

--------------------
Jamat ..in utmost longditude, where Heaven
with Earth and ocean meets, the setting sun slowly descended, and with right aspect
Against the eastern gate of Paradise. (Milton Paradise Lost Bk iv)

Posts: 3228 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Curious
Shipmate
# 93

- Posted      Profile for Curious   Email Curious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Erin appeared in the Gallery

My goodness, that Gator reach is longer than anyone might have thought.....

--------------------
Erin - you are missed more than you could know. Rest in peace and rise in glory - to provide unrest in the heavenly realms.

Posts: 1372 | From: Betwixt and between | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Suze

Ship's Barmaid
# 5639

- Posted      Profile for Suze   Email Suze   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
She talked a lot about this website and mentioned that she had friends here.
I can't help wonder if, when Jason posted this, he had any idea of the impact Erin had on the ship or the immense effect her passing would have on people here. I also wonder if she really knew how many "friends" she had here, who valued her and the way she shaped this community and made it what it is.

I hope she did.

--------------------
' You stay here and I'll go look for God, that won't be hard cos I know where he's not, and I will bring him back with me , then he'll listen , then he'll see' Richard Shindell

Posts: 2603 | From: where the angels sleep | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am going to have to come clean here: I didn't particularly like Erin. We never had any personal interactions, and our public ones were mostly acrimonious, until I decided to start flying beneath her radar.

However, I respected her, deeply. Her love of these boards was so obvious, and her devotion to fairness when she didn't have to be fair, were amazing.

It was plain that there were some posters here that she absolutely could not stand, in many cases because they were annoying, obnoxious gits, in some cases simply because they had loud, vocal positions that were directly opposite to hers. She had the absolute ability to ban anyone she wanted, and yet, despite her obvious dislikes, she never used that ability unjustly or arbitrarily. Power corrupts; but I never saw any evidence that Erin's power corrupted her.

The main thing that I have found that sets the ship apart from other sites I have been on is the quality of it's moderation; firmly moderated, yet always fairly. As far as I can tell, this pattern was established by Erin.

Erin, I didn't like you, and as far as you ever noticed me, I don't think you liked me. But for the thing here that you created, my undying thanks and appreciation, and, yes, love.

You will be missed. Yes, even by me.

[Tear] [Votive]

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Amen. RIP, young lady.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, Nicole, I acknowledge, too that I never wanted as it were to cosy up to Erin, and kept well beneath her radar. If she noticed me at all I doubt it was with any great enthusiasm. But as you've said so well, she was so much a part of who we are as an e-community, and she did far more for the community than I could dream of - and had far more honesty in her sharp tongue than I could dream of in my limp blitherings.

I'll never forget one raw poster who nearly curtailed his then embryonic (and always controversial) shipboard career when he referred to "some bird called Erin" telling him to shut up. He was by memory given the first of many shore visits within about one pico-second.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
I think it's definitely worth noting the support she gave to the hosts and how she'd always be ready to back us up in public.

Even when we got it wrong (which all hosts do from time to time) she still remained helpful and supportive.

Oh, hell yes! And once when I truly embarrassed myself with an error, her response to my mea culpa was so funny that it reminded me not to take myself too seriously.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
saysay

Ship's Praying Mantis
# 6645

- Posted      Profile for saysay   Email saysay   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really did like Erin, despite the fact that in our rare interactions we frequently agreed to disagree.

It was one of those little life rules: if Erin thinks you're wrong, you probably want to at least consider the possibility that you are in fact wronger than a wrong thing that is mistaken.

That, and (as has been mentioned), if Erin thinks you're being a fuckwit, it's because you are being a fuckwit.

It's an underrated skill, being able to tell people that.

The world seems less safe now, without her in it.

--------------------
"It's been a long day without you, my friend
I'll tell you all about it when I see you again"
"'Oh sweet baby purple Jesus' - that's a direct quote from a 9 year old - shoutout to purple Jesus."

Posts: 2943 | From: The Wire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Freddy
Shipmate
# 365

- Posted      Profile for Freddy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As with so many others Erin was the first to welcome me when I joined up ten years ago. A few weeks later she explained to me what had happened when the boards were suddenly reorganized.

From that I expected that SofF would be changing all the time, but it has been amazingly stable since then. Maybe partly due to her.

What I loved about her was that although she could be mean as anything she was basically extremely caring - so her aggression was all about defense. And it worked. She had good judgment.

It is great to think of her now maybe finding out the truth of the some of the things that we debate endlessly on these boards.

--------------------
"Consequently nothing is of greater importance to a person than knowing what the truth is." Swedenborg

Posts: 12845 | From: Bryn Athyn | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To paraphrase Sir Thomas Malory:

"Thou was the meekest and the gentlest that ever ate in hall among newbies. And thou were the sternest 'gator to thy mortal foe that ever put trolling to the test".

Goodbye, Erin. You will be sorely missed.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sarkycow
La belle Dame sans merci
# 1012

- Posted      Profile for Sarkycow   Email Sarkycow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Erin's bannings were always fair but her beautifully crafted post to accompany each one half made me wish she'd ban more people.

She somehow always seemed to know what was best for the Ship, and for whoever she was talking to. She was acerbic wit mixed with compassion, and when I became a hellhost lo these many moons ago, I took her as my role model.

she will be sorely missed.

Sarkycow

--------------------
“Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar.”

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For those who felt safer mostly flying below Erin's radar, I was amongst that group on the boards, pretty much - although I did stand up against her a couple of times: asking that Dead Horses be opened to new threads - which she agreed and did - and over the Simmies.

Meeting her in the café the night of the official launch - April Fools Day 2008 - was something else again. She was amazingly compassionate, in the middle of moving house and she had put the things she didn't need up on Freecycle and was trying to work out which of the people who'd ask for things to give them to. We, there was a group of us, got talking about sad situations we had been involved with (one of us had been a social worker, I'd been SENCo in a school in a tough area) and that conversation reduced Erin to tears.

It was very difficult to see her the same way again after that.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nicodemia
WYSIWYG
# 4756

- Posted      Profile for Nicodemia   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't know Erin very well, and never had direct contact with her - maybe because I keep y head down! But her influence was there, her sharp wit (and sharper remarks!) always kept me in awe of her.

We will miss you Erin.

Posts: 4544 | From: not too far from Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rossweisse:
In a way, this is like Miss Molly's death, but at least with Molly, we knew it was coming; we saw it advance; we watched her fight. This is so horribly sudden, and that makes it even harder to handle.

Ross, you are so right.

Many of us have been posting our own tributes to Erin on facebook and I wanted to share mine with you here...

Dear Erin, while I never had the joy to meet you in person, you were a good friend to me. I will never forget the wonderful letter you wrote to me when I posted this song for Miss Molly, and now, with a heavy heart, I post it here for you. RIP dear friend xxxx

For a Friend

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemrw:
I am going to have to come clean here... [see full post above for context]

Erin, I didn't like you, and as far as you ever noticed me, I don't think you liked me. But for the thing here that you created, my undying thanks and appreciation, and, yes, love.

One of the things I learned from Erin's posting was the virtue of emotional honesty (although I'm yet to implement it as fully as I might). I think it's a testament to her that honest communication is the dominant culture on the ship and I'm sure that's how she'd want it to continue.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apropos of Louise talking about the music she played on the day she heard the news, here's a playlist Erin burned onto CD for me back in the day...

Here with Me -- Dido
Tryin' to Get Over You -- Vince Gill
Dry Land -- Tara MacLean
Crash into Me -- Dave Matthews Band
Needs -- Collective Soul
Shelter -- Lone Justice
Cowboy Take Me Away -- Dixie Chicks
Come Monday -- Jimmy Buffett
I Don't Want to Wait -- Paula Cole
Thank You -- Dido
I Have Found Me a Home -- Jimmy Buffett
Ghost Story -- Sting
La Tempete -- Tara MacLean
Here I Am -- Patty Loveless
Angel -- Sarah McLachlan
Dante's Prayer -- Loreena McKennitt

Vince Gill, who plays blues, country, bluegrass and other styles, was a big favourite of hers. As was Sarah McLachlan. And for jazz, she especially liked Wynton Marsalis, Dave Brubek -- "Take Five is the coolest piece of music ever" -- and Miles Davis.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for sharing that, Simon. I just googled the Vince Gill "Trying to get over you" (since I wasn't familiar with Gill) and it was beautiful and sad.

I really, really, really was going to close the computer and go get some things done, but now I'm going to be finding those songs and listening to them.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep... that's the song that has me at its mercy at the moment.

Tryin' to Get Over You (US iTunes)
Tryin' to Get Over You (UK iTunes)

[ 06. January 2011, 16:31: Message edited by: Simon ]

--------------------
Eternal memory

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you Simon. Tonight i'll sing sarah mclaughlan's "I Will Remember You" for Erin. It's perfect.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Go out and buy yourself a new box of tissues before you listen to Sarah McLachlan's "Angel."
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
chalky

Shipmate
# 143

- Posted      Profile for chalky   Email chalky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shocker. Not that I could, but if I said anything remotely sappy I fear she would shoot back to bite me. As others have said - rock solid and gracious behind the scenes. Great appreciation for what she enabled here, although I didn't always appreciate the methods! Much respect though and a very real loss here - thinking of all those of you here and elsewhere who are directly affected.

A gaping hole in the ship now, which will rightly take some time to repair and always leave its mark.

Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't hear "Angel" without seeing abused kittens and puppies anymore. (For those who don't watch US television, it is the background for an animal shelter group's adverts).

It would make me bawl even if I didn't think of Erin.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Nightlamp
Shipmate
# 266

- Posted      Profile for Nightlamp   Email Nightlamp   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
I came to hosting too late for the booby trapped card,

I was caught three times by this you would have thought I would have got it by the second time. Erin did find it funny.

N

--------------------
I don't know what you are talking about so it couldn't have been that important- Nightlamp

Posts: 8442 | From: Midlands | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

A message from an old shipmate, sapolula, which he's asked to be posted here:

Erin - you will be greatly missed by all Shipmates and readers of the boards. Your style was like no other. Your turn of wit and sharpness of teeth were a wonder to behold. May you rest in peace and rise in glory. My prayers are with you and the family & friends left behind.

[ 06. January 2011, 17:54: Message edited by: Simon ]

--------------------
Eternal memory

Ophelia's Opera Therapist
Shipmate
# 4081

- Posted      Profile for Ophelia's Opera Therapist   Author's homepage   Email Ophelia's Opera Therapist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some of the first threads I was involved in on the Ship involved a lot of pain and honesty from people angry at God. Erin was one of the shipmates who fought hard to maintain a supportive zone with minimal bullsh*t as old hands and newbies alike railed and struggled with our experiences, emotions and comments intending to be “helpful”.

These were defining threads for me – and part of what made the Ship so important to me over those early years. While I haven’t been around much lately, I still value enormously all the work, wit and wisdom that Erin and others have contributed over the years to make the boards all they have been and will be. Sometimes you need a ‘gator in your corner. She will be missed.

OOT x [Votive]

--------------------
Though the bleak sky is burdened I'll pray anyway,
And though irony's drained me I'll now try sincere,
And whoever it was that brought me here
Will have to take me home.
Martyn Joseph

Posts: 979 | From: Birmingham, UK | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't give me Sarah McLachlan. The opening bars of Jessie's song in Toy Story 2 are enough for me to reach for a fresh box of hankies.

I suppose "See you later, Alligator" would strike her as comically appropriate.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Annie P

Ship's galley maid
# 3453

- Posted      Profile for Annie P   Email Annie P   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's been a while, but one lovely thing to see is how many of the old guard coming back and posting here. I never knew Erin very well, but was very aware of her presence here.

I was talking to my other half, and some of our memories are of Erin telling Kenwrites how to flame someone properly. (I think he'd gone a bit ott, so the mistress was giving him a lesson or two). Also, of her dedication to this place, I wrote to Erin (or Tom did) to ask if it was possible for her to get the transcript of the wedding ceremony which Tom and I were involved in from the cafe. She duly obliged, by picking through the entries and then sending it to us. I think I might still have the paper copy of it.

Thanks Erin, I guess you can keep Ken on the straight and narrow now in person. God bless your soul.

--------------------
Older now, but not necessarily wiser.

Posts: 3248 | From: stockton-on-tees | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016