homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Glory   » The Day I Heard The Gator Was Gone (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Day I Heard The Gator Was Gone
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is weird is that I had recently dug out this and re-read it...

(still stunned)

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
snowgoose

Silly goose
# 4394

- Posted      Profile for snowgoose   Email snowgoose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ancient Mariner:
What is weird is that I had recently dug out this and re-read it...

(still stunned)

You would have to post that. [Waterworks] [Waterworks] [Waterworks]

I first started lurking on the Ship while Miss Molly's Fields of Gold thread was going on. The interactions among Shipmates, along with Miss Molly herself, made me see that not all internet groups are comprised of axe murderers and other scary people. Erin's often stern guiding hand has been of the first importance in keeping the ship safe (enough) yet vibrant.

Though (as I am one of the Ship's fluffies) I didn't have much direct contact with Erin, I always read her posts and admired her enormously.
I have to say that I was at first surprised at how upset I was, how I couldn't stop the tears; but after reading so many posts from other Shipmates, I see that it was not an overreaction after all. It is the Community of Shipmates that makes so many of us love the Ship so much, and Erin was the heart and soul of that Community.

--------------------
Lord, what can the harvest hope for, if not for the care of the Reaper Man? --Terry Pratchett

Save a Siamese!

Posts: 3868 | From: Tidewater Virginia | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have long believed that all of humanity lives on one great web of life. No pun intended there. That all we do large and small makes a difference to everyone. Although I never met Erin and knew little about her really I know that her being involved with the Ship changed my life for the better. So to Erin and all who sail here, you matter to me, you matter to me a lot.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
MSHB
Shipmate
# 9228

- Posted      Profile for MSHB   Email MSHB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I only just found out an hour ago. Still completely flabbergasted. I was out of the city visiting relatives for three days and hadn't used a computer in all that time. I checked into the Ship this evening, only to find all these Erin threads ... [Frown]

Such a unique person.

--------------------
MSHB: Member of the Shire Hobbit Brigade

Posts: 1522 | From: Dharawal Country | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Due to one of my regular bouts of insomnia I was here, reading these boards, when the message from Jason came in.

I was stunned. It took me almost an hour to post on the AS prayer thread. And though I have been here for hours over the last few days, can't really get down to posting. There is a big crocodilian shaped hole in this community.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
da_musicman
Shipmate
# 1018

- Posted      Profile for da_musicman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alhough I'm not around here much anymore I still keep up to date with ship news on Twitter so when I checked my timeline, only to find out Erin had died I had to let out an expletive. As many I rarely crossed paths with her in my time (As I'm a woos) but I loved reading her smackdowns and all her other posts. I'll miss her and miss knowing that she's patrolling the boards keeping everyone in check.

Rest In Peace Erin. [Votive]

Posts: 3202 | From: The Dreaming | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just logged into the ship for the first time in several weeks and apparently my reaction was enough that my husband came over to ask if I was ok.
I can't begin to express how I feel. She was a rock and despite her fearsome bite (which I'm fortunate to have never received), there was a big heart and deep well of empathy in her. I'll always remember the "festive anthrax" she used to stick in the Christmas and birthday cards she would send out.

Rest in peace.

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
nickel
Shipmate
# 8363

- Posted      Profile for nickel   Email nickel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Been in denial since noticing the Ship's lack of colors, and then someone's sig line the other day. But looked for the truth today. [Frown]

Praying for strength & comfort to Erin's family and friends (which includes all of us)

Posts: 547 | From: Virginia USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am sitting here with little Pickle on my lap (he is watching a Thomas the Tank engine DVD) feeling very sad.
Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Waterworks]

--------------------
Ξέρω εγώ κάτι που μπορούσε, Καίσαρ, να σας σώσει.

PhilA

shipocaster
# 8792

- Posted      Profile for PhilA   Email PhilA   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just found out now as I logged on for the first time in a few weeks. Bloody hell! I can't think of anything to say other than that.

--------------------
To err is human. To arr takes a pirate.

Posts: 3121 | From: Sofa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
St. Punk the Pious

Biblical™ Punk
# 683

- Posted      Profile for St. Punk the Pious   Author's homepage   Email St. Punk the Pious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wondered why the Ship was grey and figured I would find out in the Styx. When I found out, my reaction was "Noooooooooo!" [Frown]

--------------------
The Society of St. Pius *
Wannabe Anglican, Reader
My reely gud book.

Posts: 4161 | From: Choral Evensong | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
JimT

Ship'th Mythtic
# 142

- Posted      Profile for JimT     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The day I heard the Gator was gone was like most days now. I came home to my impeccably decorated 2BR condo after the long drive home through the redwoods of the Santa Cruz mountains. My thoughts buzzed about a still-unpublished work on the poor annotation of ribosomal RNA operons in prokaryotic genomes. I was painfully aware that it was a far, far cry from the Science and Nature articles I’d written before and that I had to find a way to get more from the data. What to do? Where to go next? Need to hurry. Pressure, but I can handle it.

Along with the news of the day, I heard that Erin had died. So many thoughts, the first of which was that my first post on The Ship was made when I was struggling to come up with some way, any way, to put my life back together. Such a far cry from who I am now.

I didn’t know Erin well but I know this about people and about Nature. The only ones with poison-tipped spines and quills are the ones with the softest and most vulnerable cores. I’m pretty sure she knew I had her number, and that it pissed her off. I find that comforting.

I can’t imagine that she went to Heaven; she loved Hell so much. I’m thinking that Hell, The Ship’s Hell board, is Heaven for her. I imagine her being an eternal Admin for the Hell board, where she posts replies visible only to the other folks in Heaven; where she can rip with no fear of really harming, just entertaining. Like Bugs Bunny giving gigantic kisses after the most devilish insults. “Can you believe the absolute asshats still coming out of that goddam haberdashery?” she’s saying. “Good one,” they are replying. “God, we’ve needed a breath of fresh air around here for so long. For forever, in fact.”

Through The Ship, that’s what Erin gave me: fresh air. Now I can breathe. Now I can live. Forever.

Posts: 2619 | From: Now On | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Jim, good to see you.

I remember Erin really getting a kick out of Bugs Bunny marathons on TV, so I reckon she would love your comparison.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by JimT:

I didn’t know Erin well but I know this about people and about Nature. The only ones with poison-tipped spines and quills are the ones with the softest and most vulnerable cores. I’m pretty sure she knew I had her number, and that it pissed her off. I find that comforting.

I can’t imagine that she went to Heaven; she loved Hell so much. I’m thinking that Hell, The Ship’s Hell board, is Heaven for her. I imagine her being an eternal Admin for the Hell board, where she posts replies visible only to the other folks in Heaven; where she can rip with no fear of really harming, just entertaining. Like Bugs Bunny giving gigantic kisses after the most devilish insults. “Can you believe the absolute asshats still coming out of that goddam haberdashery?” she’s saying. “Good one,” they are replying. “God, we’ve needed a breath of fresh air around here for so long. For forever, in fact.”...

I picture her as a female version of the beloved 'Guv" from Life on Mars/Ashes to Ashes.

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Off Centre View
Shipmate
# 4254

- Posted      Profile for Off Centre View   Author's homepage   Email Off Centre View   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been on and off the ship over the past few years; although I didn't know Erin well, I know what an integral part she was of this online community, always ready either to help or with a snappy comment.

Peace be with her friends and family at this time,
Off Centre View

--------------------
Looking for Authenticity in the Corporate Abyss? Change Your Self, Change Your Workplace, Change Your World: www.corporateabyss.com

Posts: 1685 | From: wherever I may wander | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016