homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Glory   » Gambit Memorial Shipmeet, January 21 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Gambit Memorial Shipmeet, January 21
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At the London meet last night, a few of us were of the opinion that we should set aside an evening specifically to celebrate Gambit's life. This would have to be in the new year and, obviously, the venue would have to pass the "Gambit test". The priorities are

• Somewhere in Central London with good transport links so that non-London shippies can attend
  • Somewhere that serves Real Ale (Preferably Fullers ESB)
  • Somewhere where smoking is permitted

The Sanctuary in Tothill Street fits the bill perfectly.

I know that there's already a meet planned for 21st Jan. Do we want to combine that one with a memorial, or would people like to set aside a separate evening for a night of drinking and debauchery?

[ 11. May 2011, 16:34: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would love to try and make this meet, even though it will mean going to London for the first time in 13 years.

And as far as I know, the 21st would be fine for me.

J

--------------------
Was Jenny Ann, but fancied being more minimal.

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds good to me - I've put it in the diary!

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ags

Knocked up
# 204

- Posted      Profile for Ags     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's in the diary.

--------------------
I think that we are most ourselves at our best, because that is what God intended us to be. The us we really like, the us that others love to be with. Moth

Posts: 2707 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
21st would be fantastic for me, as I will have just finished my exams. I'll be there.
Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What about having one after the funeral when we get the date?

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't have any objections to the date, nor yet to the Sanctuary - a fine pub, so ShadoK says, and he should know as he keeps ending up in there after work! However, I kind of wanted to go to the place Gambit found for the Cusanus meet. It was the last post of Gambit's that I read before I heard the sad news.

Still, I'll abide by the wishes of the majority.

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wairua

Shipmate
# 3912

- Posted      Profile for Wairua   Email Wairua   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had already got the 21st meet in the diary and would like to make the memorial meet so it works well to combine them on the 21st. I agree with Moth that as Gambit had already suggested a place to meet with Cusanus that is another option.
Posts: 709 | From: aotearoa | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(id quite like to go to the funeral - and would appreciate meeting up with shipmeets for a pint after that daisymay if thats what you were thinking?)

I start a new teaching job in jan and so cant make that date - but *do* go for it!

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Cusanus

Ship's Schoolmaster
# 692

- Posted      Profile for Cusanus         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
21st is already in my diary (of course. I'm happy ot leave the location ot the locals.

--------------------
"You are qualified," sa fotherington-tomas, "becos you can frankly never pass an exam and have 0 branes. Obviously you will be a skoolmaster - there is no other choice."

Posts: 3120 | From: The Peninsula | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm game. Not too fussed about the location, as long as it's going to have room for us all!

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave the Bass
Shipmate
# 155

- Posted      Profile for Dave the Bass   Email Dave the Bass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Like Emma and Daisymay, I would like to attend the funeral and any meet that happens afterwards. But I might also be able to make 21st Jan - I'll have to consult the fire-breathing one!
Posts: 2162 | From: In a forest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From eyeliner:

quote:
I would like to make a collection of photographs of James, as I don't have many. If anyone has any-taken at Shipmeets or anything-I'd love it if you could post them, not just for me but so they're here if anyone else would like to see them.
[Note: it was suggested that this request be posted here as people might be sharing print photos at the meet as well. Feel free to PM eyeliner if you want to help.]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I threw out a lot of photos recently because of moving, but I'll have a look at the ones I kept.

Might be worth looking at 'shipmeet photos' threads.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Might be worth looking at 'shipmeet photos' threads.

Excactly what I was about to say. I'm sure there's one there somewhere of him doing his famous "fist in mouth" trick, which not only makes a good pic, but is also a pretty impressive thing to be able to do.

It's things like the fist in the mouth and the trademark cowboy boots that we want to remember on the memorial meet. It seems that the general consensus is that it should be on the 21st. The Queens Arms would be OK, but, as The Man Himself said, it's a bit off the beaten track. As this is a meet that may well attract a fair number of non-Londoners, I still reckon The Sanctuary is as good a place as any. (They do accommodation there too for people too pissed to get home)

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

- Posted      Profile for Persephone Hazard   Author's homepage   Email Persephone Hazard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
his famous "fist in mouth" trick, which not only makes a good pic, but is also a pretty impressive thing to be able to do.

I can do that too, you know. It's just that I tend not to, what with it all being unladylike and stuff. I remember I told him once, and he was so disbeleving that he said that if I could prove it, he'd buy me a whole bottle of Bombay Sapphire, and some tonic, and a lemon to put in it.

He did as well. He was so shocked that I hadn't been bluffing that he had to...

quote:
people too pissed to get home

Which, by the way, is exactly the kind of thing he'd have wanted at his meet...

[code]

[ 10. December 2005, 17:34: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words, but it's a lot easier to make up a thousand words than one decent picture. - ken.

Posts: 1645 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Black Labrador
Shipmate
# 3098

- Posted      Profile for The Black Labrador   Email The Black Labrador   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
21st is fine for me. Looking forward to raising a glass in Gambit's memory.
Posts: 629 | From: London | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

- Posted      Profile for Persephone Hazard   Author's homepage   Email Persephone Hazard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Page two is such a depressing place to be.

--------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words, but it's a lot easier to make up a thousand words than one decent picture. - ken.

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The trouble with the Sanctuary is its not a very nice pub. There's nothing specifically or obviously wrong with it its just too modern and clean and the staff wear uniform and there is no atmosphere and they close on time. Its a bit artificial.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll try and see everyone there.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joan Henrietta Newperson
Shipmate
# 1203

- Posted      Profile for Joan Henrietta Newperson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I should be there.

--------------------
J. H. N.

---------------------------------

"A closed mouth gathers no foot"

Posts: 149 | From: Hampshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok. anyone suggest a hotel/b and b or something not too far away and not too expensive?

J// not been to london for 13 years

--------------------
Was Jenny Ann, but fancied being more minimal.

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wairua

Shipmate
# 3912

- Posted      Profile for Wairua   Email Wairua   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joan Henrietta Newperson:
I should be there.

It will be good to meet you - when I first met Gambit you were one of two people he said I should definitely try to meet.
Posts: 709 | From: aotearoa | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hopefully I will be able to make this too...

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hosting

I just deleted a post in which somebody speculated on the Real Life identity of another shipmate.

Don't do that.

If people want to reveal themselves, that's their call. If you really have a question about somebody's identity, handle it via PM with the individual in question only.

Kel

[ 15. December 2005, 21:41: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Agent Smith
Shipmate
# 3299

- Posted      Profile for Agent Smith   Email Agent Smith   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will be there.

I am making plans for a weekend away in London(Harrods, Fortnum & mason etc) for a weekend break. (I know I live in London(ish)

If anyone wants to join me on either Friday or saturday, please PM me.

--------------------
"I'm so English, I am probably descended from a Cricket Bat and a cup of tea".

James May - 20th Century

http://www.flickr.com/photos/agentsmith1974/

Posts: 536 | From: Inside M25 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nanny Ogg

Ship's cushion
# 1176

- Posted      Profile for Nanny Ogg   Email Nanny Ogg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We can't have this on page 2 [Eek!]

--------------------
Buy me a beer and I'm you friend forever

Posts: 4137 | From: Away with the fairies | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cusanus

Ship's Schoolmaster
# 692

Certainly not! Now... has any decision been made as to location? Are ken's objections to the Sanctuary supported by others?

--------------------
"You are qualified," sa fotherington-tomas, "becos you can frankly never pass an exam and have 0 branes. Obviously you will be a skoolmaster - there is no other choice."

Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

Am bumping, so that this can be seen.

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

When I spoke to Ken last week, he admitted that he was just being a grumpy old sod when he made that post and that he's happy to meet at The Santuary.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenny Ann:
Ok. anyone suggest a hotel/b and b or something not too far away and not too expensive?

J// not been to london for 13 years

I've had recommendations for the YHA in London. Not sure if it is any good for this meet. You can even get private rooms.

Jengie

[ 26. December 2005, 11:05: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
i missed the funeral in the end, so will try to be here,

Is it a meal or drinks? what sort of time do london meets start/happen/evolve?

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

The Sanctuary is a pub and does pretty good food.

Difficult to say what time London meets start. Gambit would invariably be the first to arrive sometime in the early evening and we stat til we're chucked out.

--------------------

J Whitgift

Pro ecclesia dei!
# 1981

- Posted      Profile for J Whitgift   Email J Whitgift   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Found lingering on second page (not a good place to be)...bumping up to top of the pile...[here we go...]

--------------------
On the issue of homosexuality the Liberals have spent their time thinking, considering and listening (in the spirit of the Windsor process), whereas Conservative Anglicans have used the time to further dig their feet in and become more intransigent.

Posts: 2838 | From: Gone shoreside | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

quote:
Difficult to say what time London meets start. Gambit would invariably be the first to arrive sometime in the early evening and we stat til we're chucked out.

James and I made a point of arriving at seven thirty, which was the official start time. It's just that everyone else was always late [Razz]

[ 30. December 2005, 16:39: Message edited by: eyeliner ]

--------------------

Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

This keeps slipping onto page 2...

--------------------

J Whitgift

Pro ecclesia dei!
# 1981

- Posted      Profile for J Whitgift   Email J Whitgift   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eyeliner:
This keeps slipping onto page 2...

Bump back up to th'-top-o'-the-pile.

--------------------
On the issue of homosexuality the Liberals have spent their time thinking, considering and listening (in the spirit of the Windsor process), whereas Conservative Anglicans have used the time to further dig their feet in and become more intransigent.

Lev
Shipmate
# 50

- Posted      Profile for Lev   Author's homepage   Email Lev   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to make the effort to get to this. So sad at this loss.

Kicking myself that I didn't know before the funeral.

A damn fine example of a human being! Still can't quite believe he's gone. Such a loss.

....Lev

Posts: 304 | From: Brighton, UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

quote:
Originally posted by eyeliner:
James and I made a point of arriving at seven thirty, which was the official start time. It's just that everyone else was always late [Razz]

He must have been getting more "responsible" when he met you then! Before that, I think somewhere mid-afternoon was hisusual arrival time [Big Grin]
Chocoholic
Shipmate
# 4655

- Posted      Profile for Chocoholic     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We can't have this about to go back on to page 2.

I wonder if a passing host might put the date in the thread title? (Not wanting to tell them what I had to re-read the thread to see when it was).

I met Gambit once at a Croydon meet. I seem to remember this was the one he fell asleep on the train or something and didn't make it home until the following morning!

[ETA Choccie still can't spell]

[ 04. January 2006, 18:37: Message edited by: Chocoholic ]

Posts: 773 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bounce
Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

quote:
Originally posted by Chocoholic:
I met Gambit once at a Croydon meet. I seem to remember this was the one he fell asleep on the train or something and didn't make it home until the following morning!

I think that happened more than once! I certainly remember one Croydon meet when he managed to get stuck between the train and the platform on the way home.

--------------------

Nanny Ogg

Ship's cushion
# 1176

- Posted      Profile for Nanny Ogg   Email Nanny Ogg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
****bump****

So it's Saturday 21st @ The Sanctuary!

--------------------
Buy me a beer and I'm you friend forever

Posts: 4137 | From: Away with the fairies | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can someone remind me where The Sanctuary is again?

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
J Whitgift

Pro ecclesia dei!
# 1981

quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
Can someone remind me where The Sanctuary is again?

Auntie Doris x

Auntie D, The Sanctuary is on Tothill St (nearest Tube - St Jamess's Park [URL=http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?lat=51.4996&lon=-0.1318&scale=10000&icon=x ]map here[/URL]). In order to get there from St James's Tube Station (Circle and District Lines):

1. Come out of the Main Entrance at St James's.
2. Cross the Broadway (you should see New Scotland Yard on your right).
3. Walk down Tothill St (towards Westminster Abbey) - you will pass a Pret a'Mange and an Eat.
4. Once you reach Eat, the Sanctuary pub should be just in front of you.

Total duration of journey (shorter than it'd take to pour a pint of Guinness [Biased] ).

Victoria Station (mainline and Tube) and Westminster Tube (Circle, District and Jubilee Lines) are also within 10 minutes walking distance.

LM

--------------------

J Whitgift

Pro ecclesia dei!
# 1981

Ooops, map here. The pub is on the corner of Tothill St and Farr St NOT where the red circle is!

[ 09. January 2006, 13:11: Message edited by: Lux Mundi ]

--------------------

Cusanus

Ship's Schoolmaster
# 692

Looking forward to it... see everyone there. What time?

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe a kind host or admin could put the date in the title?

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grits
Compassionate fundamentalist
# 4169

- Posted      Profile for Grits   Author's homepage   Email Grits   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am the kind host, so I've obliged. [Smile]

--------------------
Lord, fill my mouth with worthwhile stuff, and shut it when I've said enough. Amen.

Posts: 8419 | From: Nashville, TN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

Why thank you, kind host.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016