homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Glory   » Jennifer (from Hell) (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Jennifer (from Hell)
Suze

Ship's Barmaid
# 5639

- Posted      Profile for Suze   Email Suze   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
Another thing I should have made clear. Suicide gestures are made solely to have an effect on other people. They are manipulative.

Every one of us are manipulative to some degree or others - we all behave in ways so as to have our needs met.

Suicidal behaviours, whether they lead to death or not, are aimed at getting needs met. Sometimes that need is for someone else to pay closer attention to the indivdual's pain or to change behaviours which cause or exacerbate pain. Sadly there are still people who will cite manipulation and attention seeking as negative attributes and dismiss the person as being selfish however, they are often the ones most in need of careful support.

I'm surprised that the Samaritans would struggle to work with someone who was engaging in "suicial behaviour", surely there would be value in being with that person in their ambivelence and supporting them to explore safer risk taking. It's not always necessary to have someone explicity "choose life" to keep them safe and help them find calmer waters.

--------------------
' You stay here and I'll go look for God, that won't be hard cos I know where he's not, and I will bring him back with me , then he'll listen , then he'll see' Richard Shindell

Posts: 2603 | From: where the angels sleep | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hosting

I think that this thread has largely moved on from airing the feelings the manner of jlg's death evoked in shipmates. The discussion has become more abstract and could well be continued in purgatory - either on the existing related thread or with new OPs relating to any of a number of strands that have arisen in discussion on this thread:
  • The dynamics of suicidal thought, behaviour & action
  • The extent to which it is acceptable to rage at God
  • Gun control
  • To what extent Jesus' death "worked" / the problem of suffering
  • The nature of God as interventionist / indifferent

Those of you incensed by the nature of others' posts on this thread, are of course free to call whomever you wish to hell (even Pete C!).

I am now closing this thread.

Hosting

Think²
Hellhost

[ 05. January 2012, 19:18: Message edited by: ThinkČ ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016