homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | Register | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Glory   » ken - R.I.P. (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12 

Source: (consider it) Thread: ken - R.I.P.
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, I won't be ringing. As I don't ring regularly, I don't think I'm up to service ringing, especially if St John's bells are as hard as people say they are.

ETA: I hate it when this happens at the top of the page. This was in response to Deputy Verger.

[ 10. June 2014, 21:20: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12842 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

- Posted      Profile for Deputy Verger   Email Deputy Verger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, I understand that. You're not the only one. We should have four locals, and a couple of shipmates, so we will be ringing anyway, but do come up to the belfry and say hi.

I'm not a great ringer but I don't feel too pressured as Ken wasn't a ringer at all!

I hope you will collaborate on a report for the MW section of the ship, and we also have a request for a "Shipmeet" photo for the report.

See you on Friday...

Posts: 475 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

- Posted      Profile for Persephone Hazard   Author's homepage   Email Persephone Hazard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speaking of photos, I'd love it if people took lots at the wake and posted them somewhere.

--------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words, but it's a lot easier to make up a thousand words than one decent picture. - ken.

Posts: 1645 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If all goes well London Underground-wise in terms of getting us across London, our train arrives at St Johns at 11.21. I assume we're just going to head straight to the church (so should arrive there at around 11.22 [Smile] ). The forecast looks good, so providing the Elf Lass isn't too restless we'll probably just hang around till we spot someone we know.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5750 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Persephone Hazard

Ship's Wench
# 4648

- Posted      Profile for Persephone Hazard   Author's homepage   Email Persephone Hazard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Of course, I shan't meet any of you before the service because I'll be arriving by Big Black Shiny Hired Car along with busyknitter and the rest of the family. But I'll see you all there.

--------------------
A picture is worth a thousand words, but it's a lot easier to make up a thousand words than one decent picture. - ken.

Posts: 1645 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
aj

firewire technophobe
# 1383

- Posted      Profile for aj   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
If all goes well London Underground-wise in terms of getting us across London, our train arrives at St Johns at 11.21. I assume we're just going to head straight to the church (so should arrive there at around 11.22 [Smile] ). The forecast looks good, so providing the Elf Lass isn't too restless we'll probably just hang around till we spot someone we know.

I will do something similar (although it will just be me).

--------------------
if there's no god, then who turns on the light when you open the fridge?

Posts: 2994 | From: ...on location | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Author's homepage   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Really gutted not to be able to make it to the day. Looking forward to seeing the MW and photos.

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15182 | From: The Stables | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know how tomorrow is going to pan out, yet. Plan A was that I saw my student briefly to catch up and he got away with a short session so I could come to the funeral. There is now a Plan B where someone else covers my session with my student, which would mean I am in time to meet beforehand. However, I am not in great hopes that the person covering will meet my student today and if that plan fails, I suspect we will revert to Plan A.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13479 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So where are we meeting beforehand? I expect to be in the vicinity soon after 11am, would be good to get a coffee before the service, and meet up with at least one other person to go into the church with. Its a long long time since I met any of you others, and not very confident that I would recognise anyone!

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4393 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know the area at all but according to street view on google maps there seems to be a greasy spoon type cafe on Lewisham Way (between Wickham Rd & St John's Vale) called College Cafe.

I'll aim to be there around 11am.

Of course google maps could be old and it could be long gone. Fingers crossed.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2017 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I never knew Ken except as a fellow-traveller on this vessel, but I will be remembering him, his family and all Shippies who are going to represent the Ship tomorrow at his funeral.

Ken, rest in peace and rise in glory.

Posts: 1768 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought I'd posted saying I was planning to come, but it doesn't look like I did. See you there.

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2380 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adrienne
Shipmate
# 2334

- Posted      Profile for Adrienne   Email Adrienne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will be thinking of you all today.

For Ken's family, especially Persephone and busyknitter [Votive]

And for Ken [Votive]

... let us remember before God all those who rejoice with us, but upon another shore, and in a greater light ... whose hope was in the Word made flesh, and with whom in the Lord Jesus we are for ever one.

Posts: 973 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stejjie
Shipmate
# 13941

- Posted      Profile for Stejjie   Author's homepage   Email Stejjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't know ken all that well (not even on the Ship), but am praying for him and you all today.

May God comfort you all and bless you all (if that doesn't sound weird!) today.

[Votive]

--------------------
A not particularly-alt-worshippy, fairly mainstream, mildly evangelical, vaguely post-modern-ish Baptist

Posts: 1031 | From: Urmston, Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] for all of you attending today, and may those of you making long or complicated trips have stress free journeys.
Posts: 3238 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aj:
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:

I will do something similar (although it will just be me).
Likewise. My train is still almost on time, so I should be there at about 11 or just after.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 29840 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thinking and praying today: for ken's friends and family, for all travelling to the funeral, and of course for the repose of the soul of our dear friend ken. [Votive]

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9754 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7224 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hoping to arrive at St Johns station at 11.21.

M.

Posts: 2233 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Abigail
Shipmate
# 1672

- Posted      Profile for Abigail     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stejjie:
I didn't know ken all that well (not even on the Ship), but am praying for him and you all today.

Me too... [Votive]

--------------------
The older I get the less I know.

Posts: 483 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Diomedes
Shipmate
# 13482

- Posted      Profile for Diomedes   Email Diomedes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
Distrust simple answers to complicated questions

Posts: 114 | From: Essex England | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 944 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]
Posts: 3238 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]
Posts: 4442 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 775 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Speak no more of his renown,
Lay your earthly fancies down,
And in the vast cathedral leave him,
God accept him, Christ receive him!

[Votive] for Ken, his family and friends

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3267 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] ken, Persephone Hazard, busyknitter and all ken's friends and family are very much on my mind at the moment.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 23893 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Walking 18 miles to help Refugees get an education.

Posts: 20572 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3123 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
St Everild
Shipmate
# 3626

- Posted      Profile for St Everild   Email St Everild   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]
Posts: 1768 | From: Bethnei | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20699 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]
Posts: 4341 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Telepath
Ship's Steamer Trunk
# 3534

- Posted      Profile for Telepath   Email Telepath   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

--------------------
Take emptiness and lying speech far from me, and do not give me poverty or wealth. Give me a living sufficient for me.

Posts: 3502 | From: East Anglia | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There will be a photo of the assembled Shippies at the funeral, much, much later. But it exists.

Amazing service - packed church, so many memories of ken.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13479 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] for Persephone Hazard, Busyknitter and for the repose of Ken's soul.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 19323 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ags

Knocked up
# 204

- Posted      Profile for Ags     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I couldn't be with you all today as I'm on holiday in Tuscany. So I found a church, the Duomo in Sansepolco, and lit a candle in front of a beautiful 10th century crucifix and prayed for you all and for Ken.

May his memory be eternal.

Peace [Votive]

Liz

--------------------
I think that we are most ourselves at our best, because that is what God intended us to be. The us we really like, the us that others love to be with. Moth

Posts: 2707 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Celtic Knotweed and I will raise a glass tonight. We still hope to be in at some later ringing event.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3543 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive] RIP Ken.

Raising a drink to you as I post.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4224 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought I'd make it in for the wake but that is unlikely now.

[Votive] from afar

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Raptor Eye:
[Votive] RIP Ken.

Raising a drink to you as I post.

It's 9:30 a.m. right now here in California, so I'm raising a coffee cup. But I'm remembering an emphatic post about how you have to ease your way into the day with tea, and only later move on to coffee.

[Votive]

Posts: 24368 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
kentishmaid
Shipmate
# 4767

- Posted      Profile for kentishmaid   Author's homepage   Email kentishmaid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have had a couple of pints of Spitfire in honour of Ken. It seems appropriate. I am glad to hear he has had an appropriately wonderful send off but so sad that it had to happen so soon.

[Votive] for Ken & family & friends and the whole community of folk who valued him.

Posts: 2063 | From: Huddersfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Twangist
Shipmate
# 16208

- Posted      Profile for Twangist   Author's homepage   Email Twangist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
intermitant prayer throughout the day.
One Ale down at this point.
[Votive] for all whom Ken left behind

--------------------
JJ
SDG
blog

Posts: 599 | From: Devon | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Checking in moderately pissed ( isn't it amazing how a large quantity of beer spread over a long period of time doesn't have too bad an effect)

The funeral service was wonderful - exactly what Ken would have wanted . A mystery Worship report will be posted in due course.

Lots af reminiscing and lots of beer followed at the Rising Sun. The chicken curry was bloody good too.

All in all, Ken had a brilliant send off. Rest In peace and rise in glory mate [Votive]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12842 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It was a truly personal funeral. Full of memories and love and faith. Four people gave tributes to ken, all of them spoke superbly, ken's daughter especially made us realise what a wonderful man we have lost. In as much as a funeral ever can be good, it was.

RIP, ken.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4570 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tractor Girl
Shipmate
# 8863

- Posted      Profile for Tractor Girl   Author's homepage   Email Tractor Girl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Only just caught up with his passing. Glad it seemed to be a good funeral. RIP Ken, will never forget his wisdom and wit. Will especially miss bumping in to him at Greenbelt.

--------------------
Patience, Firmness and Perseverance were my only weapons; and those I resolved to use to the utmost - Anne Bronte

Posts: 1114 | From: The field of life | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Funeral was beautiful and special and moving and lots of other things for which there are no words. Wake was good, drinking beer in the sunshine, remembering and celebrating him. Veggie curry was good too Spike.

As I walked to the church from the station this morning I had the oddest sense of being buoyed up, cushioned, by all the Shipmates around the world who were thinking and praying for Ken, family and friends today. Thank you.

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2017 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Votive]

Beer raised tonight.

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5020 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mug of tea raised toward the east. [Votive]

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1123 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016